Playstation Home new info

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lord_Pro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lord_Pro
Member since 2006 • 324 Posts

Virtual Life Sony Nears Launch of Own 3D World

John Gaudiosi, Special to WRAL LTW

MONTE CARLO, Monaco - Tired of Second Life - or want a better online 3D world experience?

Sony may offer that alternative world later this spring with its "Home" destination for PlayStation 3.

"Home is a cross between private chat rooms, MySpace, YouTube and online gaming," explained Ron Festejo, creative director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, in an interview. "If you've ever tried Second Life, you can immediately see how much richer this world is and how accessible it is."

The Sony Europe group has been spearheading the software behind "Home." The free PlayStation 3 virtual community will launch as a download. The creators of this new 3D universe were on hand at the Imagina conference last week to give attendees a sneak peak at the brand new, modified hub running online with thousands of beta testers inhabiting the world.

Microsoft has accrued 10 million online subscribers for its Xbox Live service, which comes free as a basic service with every Xbox 360 but requires a $50 annual subscription to play online games. Sony, however, is going in a different direction with PS3. Anyone who has used Xbox Live knows that the service is a great way to jump into an online game, but the 2D interface is not built for stickiness in the generic lobbies.

In contrast, Sony has constructed a living, breathing world that gamers will enter before connecting with others online to play games. In addition to being able to play six-player bowling in the bowling alley and ****c games in the arcade, there will also be offerings like billiards, chess and checkers for gamers to socialize over.

A movie theater that features 10 screens to watch movie trailers and game previews also will be available at launch.

Soon after the rollout, Sony is expected to offer a video store where gamers will be able to rent full-length features that can be downloaded to their hard drives. Sony is also expected to offer music and TV programming through Home.

New Home Shows Evolution from Early Roots

The Home world that was shown in Monte Carlo is completely different than the one first shown at the Game Developer's Conference last year. Gone are the claustrophobic indoor spaces and the doors that lead to badly marked areas like the arcade. Now players are transported to a vibrant outdoor town square with huge buildings that clearly illustrate what there is to do.

The movie theater has two floors for further expansion beyond the initial 10 screens. The bowling alley offers the virtual bowling and arcade. Within the town square, underneath some trees, are the chess and checkers tables. The games will be a great way for players to break the ice when meeting new friends in Home, according to Festejo.

"When building this new town square, we were heavily influenced by cities like Las Vegas, the Sony Center in Berlin and New York City's Times Square," said Festejo. "This world is friendly and open and encourages players to mingle."

Upon entering Home, players will use a virtual PS3 avatar for everything inside the world. Customizing one's avatar and apartment will be as easy as clicking through the PS3 option menu.

While Sony is offering Home for free, it will have several business models built into it. Players will be able to decorate their own apartment with furniture and an assortment of technology, including Sony Bravia TVs. Many of these items will be purchased with real credit cards through micro-transactions. Players will be able to create their personalized avatar to the point where it will look just like them from face to body type, or what they wish they looked like, depending on the person. Avatars will be able to emote feelings, as well. Festejo said clothes will be available for purchase, and Sony is talking to real apparel lines about bringing their own virtual stores into the game for avatars to shop in.

In addition, players will be able to upgrade their apartment to one of nine homes at launch. The demo showed a rustic Norwegian Lodge that was decorated to the hilt with cool technology and themed furniture. More homes will follow, Festejo said, adding that the first version is Home 1.0 and will constantly be evolving.

More Businesses, Tools Are Coming

Another business model that will unfold as Home evolves is the aforementioned movies, music and TV show offerings, which are expected to offer rental and purchase models. Microsoft already has most of the Hollywood studios (sans Sony, of course) offering TV shows for purchase in HD or standard definition and HD or standard movies for rental. Sony is expected to follow suit, and Sony Online Entertainment has been building the technology to bring this aspect of Home to life.

Sony has also sent out Home Developer Kits for partners to build assets and lobbies, this means both traditional game developers and mainstream brands will become part of the Home world over time, Festijo added.

The newly renovated version shows that Sony seems to be taking the time to get the virtual world right. Currently more than 10,000 beta users are exploring Home and the floodgates will open up to everyone with a PS3 this spring.

"Home will offer the chance for gamers to get together with old friends and make new ones," said Festejo, who added that players will be able to text or talk to one another, as well as share assets. "It will offer endless entertainment, including gaming. We've certainly raised the bar with what people have seen in virtual worlds to date."

chaos-SD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 chaos-SD
Member since 2007 • 499 Posts
Nice read...so i take it we're still looking at spring?
SaintTheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SaintTheKing
Member since 2007 • 918 Posts

i cant wait for this game!! its gonna be so addicting!!!

chaos-SD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chaos-SD
Member since 2007 • 499 Posts

i cant wait for this game!! its gonna be so addicting!!!

SaintTheKing

technically it's a social network not a game...but who gives a ****! I agree this is gonna rock...

shmedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 shmedo
Member since 2006 • 228 Posts
Sounds awesome! I hope there will be quite a bit of avatar customization before we have to start buying clothes and such though. Anyway sounds really good, cant wait!
tootergray34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 tootergray34
Member since 2007 • 501 Posts

so you are going to have to purchase stuff inside home with real money? that is lame i don't like that at all...why would anyone want to buy a tv for a virtual apartment? sounds like a money scheme to me, and from what it sounds like the masses are going to do it too. i guess that's a big score for sony. hopefully there are some slums where I can have mine.

I WANT TO BE A BUM!!!!!

SaintTheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SaintTheKing

so you are going to have to purchase stuff inside home with real money? that is lame i don't like that at all...why would anyone want to buy a tv for a virtual apartment? sounds like a money scheme to me, and from what it sounds like the masses are going to do it too. i guess that's a big score for sony. hopefully there are some slums where I can have mine.

I WANT TO BE A BUM!!!!!

tootergray34

not everything. just if you want the best stuff you will have to pay for it. i wonder how much its going to cost to upgrade to that huge house they show in the vids??

budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
I hope this is as good as it sounds. I enjoyed second life for a few weeks, but it got old, but at least with home there is a reason to meet people, GAMING.
Deaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Deaho
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

thats cool,but when it will release ,cause I dont like them when they write q1 2008 at gamespot and at ign they are saying q2 2008 ,I want to know a release date that have a moth,day and year.

when they type it in the way of q's ,it just delays agin till they say a release date cant they say a release date from the 1st.

SaintTheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintTheKing

thats cool,but when it will release ,cause I dont like them when they write q1 2008 at gamespot and at ign they are saying q2 2008 ,I want to know a release date that have a moth,day and year.

when they type it in the way of q's ,it just delays agin till they say a release date cant they say a release date from the 1st.

Deaho

the Spring...theres no exact date set yet

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
Yeah I'm really excited for Home.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

Nice read...so i take it we're still looking at spring?chaos-SD

People can only hope.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

I WANT TO BE A BUM!!!!!

tootergray34

This is how they are going to be able to keep the online free. Rather than using a subscription model, they are going with a microtransaction model. If all you want out of psn/home is to play games and get demos, then it costs you nothing. If you want to have a wicked avatar and home, then you will have to buy stuff, which allows them to have enough money to continue to make improvements and provide the online services for free.

gowthamspa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 gowthamspa
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts

Yeah I'm really excited for Home.theycallmeryan

me too

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
Great read, I'm quite exited for HOME.
RobEsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RobEsp
Member since 2008 • 123 Posts

I WANT TO BE A BUM!!!!!

tootergray34

It's optional, we don't have to buy things to play online. I will personally buy things and make my apartment nice, unless the prices are ridiculously high. I'm not going to pay $10 for a virtual Bravia, maybe like $1.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts
Sounds good. I'll wait till it's release. It was a great read but now it will only get some impatient people creating more useless threads saying they can't wait for "HOME." I can wait though.
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts

I still don't know why I'd want to launch Home, just to get in a lobby so I would then launch the actual game I want to play. What happens when that game ends? Is it going to want me to go back into home, or can I just do a 2D lobby to get into a new game. Seems like a lot of overhead just to play an online game.

The other stuff may be cool, like the bowling and such. I'm glad Sony is trying something different, but I'm still not excited by Home.

3zoozM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 3zoozM
Member since 2006 • 828 Posts

I still don't know why I'd want to launch Home, just to get in a lobby so I would then launch the actual game I want to play. What happens when that game ends? Is it going to want me to go back into home, or can I just do a 2D lobby to get into a new game. Seems like a lot of overhead just to play an online game.

The other stuff may be cool, like the bowling and such. I'm glad Sony is trying something different, but I'm still not excited by Home.

b11051973

you dont have to start Home to play a game online

Takiwara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Takiwara
Member since 2006 • 1150 Posts

b11051973
I think you're looking at the launch game from a different perspective. I mean you and your buddy could be in home playing pool while waiting for a third and then when he finally comes you can launch the game. its not like if you guys were all ready in the first place, launched home, then launched into a game. From my viewpoint the launchgame feature is like a party system for you, your friends, and anyone else that wants to hop in.
MFDABADKID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MFDABADKID
Member since 2007 • 1144 Posts
I want Home now :cry:
jojothekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jojothekid
Member since 2008 • 2108 Posts
if so many people are going to be using this at once doesn't that make the connection slow and if we get this will we still be able to use the regular lobby and then if we wanted to play HOME we just select it and your in like you would do if you wanted to play a game
3zoozM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 3zoozM

if so many people are going to be using this at once doesn't that make the connection slow and if we get this will we still be able to use the regular lobby and then if we wanted to play HOME we just select it and your in like you would do if you wanted to play a gamejojothekid

-multiple servers

-yes

-yes

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts
Yep. I expect SONY to be fully prepared for the millions of PS3 owners who will be using HOME, unlike IW's weak excuse, allegedly saying they didn't think there would be so many gamers playing COD4 so they didn't have enough servers available.

[QUOTE="jojothekid"]if so many people are going to be using this at once doesn't that make the connection slow and if we get this will we still be able to use the regular lobby and then if we wanted to play HOME we just select it and your in like you would do if you wanted to play a game3zoozM

-multiple servers

-yes

-yes

jay_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 jay_rock_
Member since 2003 • 1720 Posts
Man I know not to rush things but we really need this to come out for us ps2 owners...
_sephex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _sephex_
Member since 2003 • 179 Posts
What if we really do want a "slums" section? How much will they charge for a cardboard box? Or, if someone buys a new Bravia for their virtual home, can they donate the empty box to me?
huriona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 huriona
Member since 2003 • 361 Posts

What if we really do want a "slums" section? How much will they charge for a cardboard box? Or, if someone buys a new Bravia for their virtual home, can they donate the empty box to me? _sephex_

LOL

Avatar image for GamersNightmare
GamersNightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GamersNightmare
Member since 2006 • 621 Posts
This is going to be wicked. I know I won't be gaming much when this comes out cause I'll be pimp'n out my "Home".
3zoozM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 3zoozM

This is going to be wicked. I know I won't be gaming much when this comes out cause I'll be pimp'n out my "Home".GamersNightmare

good for you...tell me when i have to bow down before your awesomeness

Avatar image for GamersNightmare
GamersNightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GamersNightmare
Member since 2006 • 621 Posts

[QUOTE="GamersNightmare"]This is going to be wicked. I know I won't be gaming much when this comes out cause I'll be pimp'n out my "Home".3zoozM

Not sure you'll have to bow, but you'll have to take your shoes off before you can get into my crib.LOL

3zoozM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 3zoozM
[QUOTE="3zoozM"]

[QUOTE="GamersNightmare"]This is going to be wicked. I know I won't be gaming much when this comes out cause I'll be pimp'n out my "Home".GamersNightmare

Not sure you'll have to bow, but you'll have to take your shoes off before you can get into my crib.LOL

lol, nice...i thought you were gunna get angry :twisted:

they do give you a kicking apartment that has a view an a sweet bay (think Monaco)

BUT who wants all that right?

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
[QUOTE="Deaho"]

SaintTheKing

There is an exact date. 04/29/08 the same day GTA IV launches so that the PS3 sales explode :D lmfao jk yeah there is no date yet but some time in spring so from march-June

3zoozM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 3zoozM
[QUOTE="SaintTheKing"][QUOTE="Deaho"]

G-Legend

There is an exact date. 04/29/08 the same day GTA IV launches so that the PS3 sales explode :D lmfao jk yeah there is no date yet but some time in spring so from march-June

it WILL explode :|

lets just hope im out of the blast radius, unless...no...NO...IT CANT BE...I WONT BELIEVE IT...I WONT...ALL PS3s WILL EXPLODE!!!!!

sonic_fart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sonic_fart
Member since 2004 • 306 Posts

oh my days so your ps3 was stolen?!?! do you have the serial number man because you can track it down! if you brought something online that helps too! im gonna look on for you now alright thats messed up.

(sorry for not relating to topic)

sonic_fart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sonic_fart
Member since 2004 • 306 Posts
[QUOTE="tootergray34"]

I WANT TO BE A BUM!!!!!

ianuilliam

This is how they are going to be able to keep the online free. Rather than using a subscription model, they are going with a microtransaction model. If all you want out of psn/home is to play games and get demos, then it costs you nothing. If you want to have a wicked avatar and home, then you will have to buy stuff, which allows them to have enough money to continue to make improvements and provide the online services for free.

i was about to write the exact same thing man nice one lol.
Lo_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 Lo_Rising
Member since 2007 • 930 Posts
sounds like fun, but i would prepare myself for a release in the fall and late fall at that.
Vasichko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vasichko
Member since 2004 • 2565 Posts
Doesnt matter its going to get pushed back like everything else.
Mchairy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mchairy21
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts
i agree, it will get pushed back until at least fall
ned_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ned_76
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts

when home cmes out it should be world wide release same as the ps store anyways they should stop delaying home!!!