playstation home, can it live to the hype?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for hellsing6666666
hellsing6666666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hellsing6666666
Member since 2006 • 195 Posts

Will this idea of Sony be a huge success or will it fall flat on it's face?

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
It can't fail because it isn't a game!!
hellsing6666666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hellsing6666666

it can still fail.

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
The only thing that can fail is if nobody downloads the downloadable content that will be made available for home, it would make it financially a waste of money.
POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts
tell me how HOME can fail, whoever posted this probably thinks its a game, it not. So tell me once again how can it fail.
hellsing6666666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hellsing6666666
people may get lazy and not get all the new stuff, or some people may not be able to use it do to no internet and also it could have bugs that we do not know yet, many things could happen.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

There's hype for Home? It's going to be a bust...no doubt in my mind.

There is nothing about home that has me stoked for it to come out. There isn't even anything about Home that I want, and it annoys me that this is where Sony spends it's time and resources.

After so many delays, it will need to be the end all be all to impress me right about now. It's harsh I know, but I'm just hardpressed to find the appeal...Hopefully the full release can change my mind.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
tell me how HOME can fail, whoever posted this probably thinks its a game, it not. So tell me once again how can it fail.POPEYE1716
Oh, it can fail. Micro-transactions have a nasty way of making people not want to buy your product since to get the best version of it they will have to pay more and more and more.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#9 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
The only thing that can fail is if nobody downloads the downloadable content that will be made available for home, it would make it financially a waste of money.Mckenna1845
Home can still make money by plastering ad posters all over the place and maybe even in your Home apartment and that can be so annoying.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
[QUOTE="POPEYE1716"]tell me how HOME can fail, whoever posted this probably thinks its a game, it not. So tell me once again how can it fail.TheSystemLord1
Oh, it can fail. Micro-transactions have a nasty way of making people not want to buy your product since to get the best version of it they will have to pay more and more and more.

People who don't like micro-transactions don't understand them in the first place.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheSystemLord1
[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"][QUOTE="POPEYE1716"]tell me how HOME can fail, whoever posted this probably thinks its a game, it not. So tell me once again how can it fail.emitsu97

People who don't like micro-transactions don't understand them in the first place.

$1 for a couch? $2 for a digital armani suit? No thanks
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 emitsu97
$1 for a couch? $2 for a digital armani suit? No thanksTheSystemLord1
I don't recall purchase of premium content being required for use of HOME.
Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Unassigned
Member since 2004 • 1970 Posts

You can only hype an interactive menu system so much. It's about the games, not the "Home" menu system.

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
I don't think it was succeed OR fail, I just don't think it will be as successful as Sony had hoped. Honestly it doesn't even seem hyped anymore. There have been so many negative things stated by beta testers and it's been postponed so many times, many people, including myself, don't care if it ever releases. With Sony's recent difficulties lately, IMO, this entire Home project is a huge waste of resources.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 emitsu97
Nobody said it was required. I said the idea that I can't just have the best of everything outright turns me off of the service. I think its ridiculous that I have to dip in to my credit card if I want the coolest couch. I understand that this money is to keep PSN free. But the issue is that even with all of these micro transactions the online gaming experience will still pale in comparison to Live. TheSystemLord1
Interesting response...
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I don't know but if the rest of PSN is any indication, it'll improve hugely over time. And Sony will probably make a ton of money from all of the advertising. I tend to be an optimistic fellow so yeah, I'll say it will be a moderate success.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheSystemLord1
[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]Nobody said it was required. I said the idea that I can't just have the best of everything outright turns me off of the service. I think its ridiculous that I have to dip in to my credit card if I want the coolest couch. I understand that this money is to keep PSN free. But the issue is that even with all of these micro transactions the online gaming experience will still pale in comparison to Live. emitsu97
Interesting response...

How so? You've not said anything either way on the subject. Am I to believe you support any form of micro transaction within Home?
dizzykim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dizzykim
Member since 2005 • 721 Posts
Home is a WIP (work in progress), so there is no need to be talking about it failing or not. As for it living up to its own hype -- I haven't seen anything that has.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 emitsu97
How so? You've not said anything either way on the subject. Am I to believe you support any form of micro transaction within Home?TheSystemLord1
My previous response was in reference to you strange need to include your closing statement. Micro-transactions are akin to DLC. I personally have no problem with premium digital content offered for additional money as that's been standard practice for many years and for the last 2 for PSN. I'm not clear on why your reluctance to spend your money on something you think is cool should translate into a generalization of the service and those who opt to partake.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheSystemLord1
[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]How so? You've not said anything either way on the subject. Am I to believe you support any form of micro transaction within Home?emitsu97
My previous response was in reference to you strange need to include your closing statement. Micro-transactions are akin to DLC. I personally have no problem with premium digital content offered for additional money as that's been standard practice for many years and for the last 2 for PSN. I'm not clear on why your reluctance to spend your money on something you think is cool should translate into a generalization of the service and those who opt to partake.

Strange need to include a closing statement? This is a thread, so long as it is open I can respond to anything I please. As for generalizations? Yes, my opinion of Home is that it is likely to be nothing more than a money sink that will have people paying incremental amounts of money for digital trinkets until one day they receive their credit card statements and realize those trinkets have cost them $30 - $50. The $1 - $2 figure is EXTREMELY conservative in my opinion judging by the $3 sack boy costumes on PSN right now. There is no malice in anything I've said towards those wishing to spend their money that way. My problem is with Sony for not only cluttering up the space with ads, but having the audacity to charge us for meaningless in-game items. If they want to make money off of Home then they should create Home-Times Square and fill it with movies/music/Playstation videos playing in the background. Then sell any ad space available there. Having any sort of monetary requirement for any aspect of PSN immediately puts it on the same ground as Live, to which it pales in comparison.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 emitsu97

The $1 - $2 figure is EXTREMELY conservative in my opinion judging by the $3 sack boy costumes on PSN right now.TheSystemLord1
Purely speculative.
There is no malice in anything I've said towards those wishing to spend their money that way. My problem is with Sony for not only cluttering up the space with ads, but having the audacity to charge us for meaningless in-game items. If they want to make money off of Home then they should create Home-Times Square and fill it with movies/music/Playstation videos playing in the background. Then sell any ad space available there.TheSystemLord1
So you're upset Sony didn't plaster obnoxious ads all over the place but instead created virtual goods for use by avatars for optional use while still maintaining a free service?
Having any sort of monetary requirement for any aspect of PSN immediately puts it on the same ground as Live, to which it pales in comparison.TheSystemLord1
:| *facepalm

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheSystemLord1
[QUOTE="emitsu97"]
Having any sort of monetary requirement for any aspect of PSN immediately puts it on the same ground as Live, to which it pales in comparison.TheSystemLord1
:| *facepalm

Blah, if this were system wars... Ok, you support micro transactions, I don't. I suppose there would have to be more like you than me for Sony's focus groups to say this was alright.
YoJim8obaJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 YoJim8obaJoe
Member since 2008 • 2653 Posts
All i want from home is the ability to do something while waiting in a lobby instead of just looking at a list of names
Avatar image for deactivated-5ea874e06483b
deactivated-5ea874e06483b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5ea874e06483b
Member since 2006 • 2896 Posts
I don't think it will fail but I am not really interested in Home tho.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#27 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
It has to fail. It cant live up to the hype, because everyone was treating it like its the next big game of 08', and its not even a game. It's the stupid people who hyped it up to an insane level, it's their faults.....
byrdcjb100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 byrdcjb100
Member since 2008 • 383 Posts
Playstaion home will not it sucks i downloaded it and servers are broken
zephyr12192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 zephyr12192
Member since 2007 • 179 Posts

im being optimistic. It seems like a cool idea, and from what ive read there will be alot of content added. I also have no problems with payin 2$ to get a furrari or ed hardy outfit in game, or however much stuff costs. If its really cool, and less that 6$ i might consider buyin.

shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

lmao "home will be out by the end of 2007" -e3 06

"home will be out early next year" -e3 07

"look everyone, its littlebigplanet!" -e3 08

late 08, we get the BETA finally

lol... i cant even comprehend how a big company could fall that far behind.

its not a game, and if gamespot reviews it then they should reviews microsofts new update too.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]Nobody said it was required. I said the idea that I can't just have the best of everything outright turns me off of the service. I think its ridiculous that I have to dip in to my credit card if I want the coolest couch. I understand that this money is to keep PSN free. But the issue is that even with all of these micro transactions the online gaming experience will still pale in comparison to Live. emitsu97
Interesting response...

agreed

Avatar image for thirteen_zombie
thirteen_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 thirteen_zombie
Member since 2007 • 624 Posts
no it cannot
Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#33 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts
How do u change how old u r on PS3, my parents dont give a **** about ratings, but it wont let me do home 4 tht reason and my parental crap is all off