Playstation exclusives

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MiguelNoche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MiguelNoche
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

I've been a Playstation owner for years.  For whatever reason, Xbox has never really sold me on anything.  This is not a system war question, but I'm curious what exclusive games do they have that keep their fan base?  We have these incredibly popular games...God of War, the Uncharted series, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us, Infamous and I LOVED Heavy Rain...(and there are many other exclusives not mentioned)   So, what do they have that I'm missing out on?  Or, am I?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Im a true ps3 fan but I also own a xbox360 to be able to play the forza series. I also enjoy the gears of war series.

Thats pretty much it for me. I don't mind buying a xbox1 a couple months after I get a ps4 just to be able to play forza 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Halo, Gears, Forza and Fable are the heavy hitters, repeated ad nausiam. Aside from Halo, I would say you can find an as good or better analog on Playstation.
PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts

I've been a Playstation owner for years.  For whatever reason, Xbox has never really sold me on anything.  This is not a system war question, but I'm curious what exclusive games do they have that keep their fan base?  We have these incredibly popular games...God of War, the Uncharted series, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us, Infamous and I LOVED Heavy Rain...(and there are many other exclusives not mentioned)   So, what do they have that I'm missing out on?  Or, am I?

MiguelNoche
Seems like your asking what exclusives there are for 360 that are good? Shouldnt that be posted on that forum then?
rigzzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rigzzsy
Member since 2010 • 349 Posts

Halo, Gears, Forza and Fable are the heavy hitters, repeated ad nausiam. Aside from Halo, I would say you can find an as good or better analog on Playstation. darkspineslayer
this is actually all of them apart from a few arcade games

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I don't think it's about the exclusives in this case. The majority of people that own either a PS3 or 360 will say that multiplats are the best games on either system and th 360 tends to run those better. Another reason 360 keeps a fanbase is because their online service is stronger as well so they have the FPS and fighting game crowd in their favour.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

There is a huge Fighting game crowd on PS3, huge. I am an Ex Tourney player that has won awards and money at tourneys.

I have many "doubles" of fighting games for PC, 360, and the PS3, and I play my fighters on PS3 mostlyfor the competition. The EVO competitions and many other tourneys run on PS3, and since PSN is free, and the PS3 has a superior DPad, the Fighting gamers flock to PS3.

I do agree FPS gamers flock to 360 console though because I have "doubles" of games froM BF to COD on 360 and PS3, and I've noticed this trend on 360.

Take note of my sig, it demonstrates how much I've played on my 360 and PS3.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

It's mainly Halo with a few others. Then you have those who I believe get into it because of xlive & they would rather buy it because it's made by an American company. Like people who will only buy American cars, you get people thinking that way with xbox too. 

I had a 360  which I couldn't stand it and it broke twice. It's personal preference. 

moondoggey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 moondoggey
Member since 2007 • 549 Posts

i was wondering the same thing ........

Avatar image for gracideadude012
gracideadude012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gracideadude012
Member since 2009 • 921 Posts

Xbox mostly has shooters as exclusives, I only remember Forza, Fable and Kinect games not being of that genre.-. PS has had lots of exclusives, first and third party, so it's a much better console for me. I got my PS consoles for multiplatforms and exclusives, and I got my Nintendo consoles for exclusives, in my opinion I'm not losing out on anything Microsoft "has to offer."

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#11 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Im a true ps3 fan but I also own a xbox360 to be able to play the forza series. I also enjoy the gears of war series.

Thats pretty much it for me. I don't mind buying a xbox1 a couple months after I get a ps4 just to be able to play forza 5.

marcheegsr

You sound a little like me!! The Gears series alone got me hooked, but I also like L4D1-2 and I'm a BIG fan of Alan Wake!! The Halo series was ok but it's not a system seller for me, it's good....just not great IMO!!

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

There is a huge Fighting game crowd on PS3, huge. I am an Ex Tourney player that has won awards and money at tourneys.

I have many "doubles" of fighting games for PC, 360, and the PS3, and I play my fighters on PS3 mostlyfor the competition. The EVO competitions and many other tourneys run on PS3, and since PSN is free, and the PS3 has a superior DPad, the Fighting gamers flock to PS3.

I do agree FPS gamers flock to 360 console though because I have "doubles" of games froM BF to COD on 360 and PS3, and I've noticed this trend on 360.

SolidTy

I'm a tourney fighting game player and while the tournaments tend to take place on PS3s, most serious fighting game enthusiasts that show up to the major fighting tournaments use the Xbox 360 over PS3. The PS3 often gets mocked for a small delay in controller input and a much worse online service.

The fighting game community is much bigger or rather more active on Xbox 360 which is unfortunate for me given that I don't own a 360. I have to play local people to improve my skills, I don't have a good online experience to help me out.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Pikminmaniac

I'm a tourney fighting game player and while the tournaments tend to take place on PS3s, most serious fighting game enthusiasts that show up to the major fighting tournaments use the Xbox 360 over PS3. The PS3 often gets mocked for a small delay in controller input and a much worse online service.

The fighting game community is much bigger or rather more active on Xbox 360 which is unfortunate for me given that I don't own a 360. I have to play local people to improve my skills, I don't have a good online experience to help me out.

The online is P2P, so technologically speaking there is no difference in quality using either service for the actual fighting. Party chat is available on Xbox Live provided the annual $60 fee, but the actual games performance online is the same when the fight begins. Anytime someone lags out on XBL or PSN, I don't blame the service, but rather the others users online or my online provider. I have fantastic internet though, so 9/10 if there is an ONLINE issue with Xbox Live or PSN, it's with the other person. I hardly have any online issues though as I have fantastic city high speed internet. This is not to be confused with game glitches.

Live doesn't perform better for fighting games than PSN does, what does make a difference is if a game has dedicated servers which no fighting games have.

Without some hard data, the bit about the community sounds anecdotal because I know first hand some tourney players in the US, Europe, and Japan game on PSN. Your experience seems to represent a western users you have spoken too. I've played some of the best Japanese players in the world on PSN and in RL. I'm thinking you maybe referencing some western players and not the entire community. As far as my past, for the record I have come in first a quite a few times and I have won money and my name was even in a now defunct magazine called "Tips & Tricks" back when they published fighting game winners, so it's not like I'm just getting into the scene. As a matter of fact, I'm leaving the scenehaving been a fighting game tourney player since the 1990s as family obligations have been pulling my time away from keeping up on the games.I'm also undefeated playing Gamespot, IGN, Gametrailers, Game Informer, etc. forumers that I have hooked up with online over the years.

The idea that Xbox's network is better is false. The reason why you see/perceive more lag via PSN is that all systems come with wireless capabilities out of the box. A vast majority of xbox players are forced to play wired and that makes for much better connections. Just playing on a wireless connection at all can jack your ping way up not to mention the reduced bandwidth. Developer Mike Z. confirmed this theory on stream as he mentioned how he programmed Skullgirls for both systems and stated there was no difference in the method they use to connect players for games. In fact, Xbox has an extra security layer for authentication.

If every player wired directly to they're router instead of using Wifi it would make a world of difference. If I recall, GGXXAC has less input lag on PS3, and I recall that Tekken 6 did too. AFAIK, the only Capcom game that has more input lag on PS3 (slight) is SF4. However, it's on both ends and it's based on Capcom's engine. MvC3 has slowdown on PS3 on select levels (Same SF4 engine), but I've never heard of it having more input lag.

It's Capcom's porting job, not the console.

http://ps360.ldblog.jp/archives/51638829.html
http://ps360.ldblog.jp/archives/53791203.html

And the online is the same for both consoles.

Skip to 2:29:37 to hear that PS3 and 360 network connections are identical from Mike Z, programmer of Skullgirls and ex-Pandemic employee & at 2:31:-- Mike Z talks about the myth of PS3 input lag
http://www.twitch.tv/eightysixed/b/375060029

Blame the developer, not the console.

Long story short, the developer is what matters.

I should also point out that your TV also affects LAG. So, some complainers are gaming on the wrong TVs.

Panasonic Plasmas (what I game most on) are pretty damn responsive, so I'm going to say it's "probably" not your TV. You see the Panasonic Viera plasmas are the second most responsive in this test. My CRT Sony Wega CRT though is also amazing, as CRTs are the best. Here's a pic below to give you an idea.

temps-remenance.gif

If I recall, the 360 has 4 frames delay on input, PS3 has 5 on SSF4. They both have input lag, but Capcom's engine ads an extra frame on PS3. It won't matter though because the other person you are playing also has that same lag. In fact, it's only an issue if you go back and forth between both consoles constantly and don't adjust on THAT game.

Let's assume you have a 1080p display. The 360 will scale 720p games like SSF4 internally to 1080p, so your TV receives a 1080p signal. PS3 will not do this, so your TV will receive a 720p signal and must upscale it. Slow upscalers in cheaper HDTVs are pretty common as most people buy more on cheaper price than quality with HDTVs. This could be the source of lag you heard others whine about, given that they played on PS3 at EVO on a non-laggy monitor and didn't notice any problem. The problems we here about tend to be described from their home experiences.

It is even possible that your TV has a small amount of lag at 1080p, making the 360 version on your TV feel like the PS3 version on a no-lag display (hence you noticing no difference at NCR). Then it would be natural for the PS3 on your TV to lag very noticeably, given the native frame delay plus whatever upscaling delay their/your chosen HDTV has.

When TVs lag less via VGA it is usually because the VGA input is scaled, filtered, and displayed independently of the rest of the image processing components. HDMI and component inputs generally take the same path as far as image scaling and filtering go.

If the tournament uses monitors that lag, they should use monitors that don't lag. If they are using lag-free monitors then maybe the display you play on at home lags. The only good way to make this work for everyone is to use known-good displays and test to find new ones for their input lag. Nobody who is practicing at home on laggy TVs should expect the same conditions elsewhere.

Modern HDTVs tend to have less lag than they used to though, but it's still there. The lag was so bad that people had to buy audio delay units (until manufacturers started putting delay options in receivers) to sync up the audio with the picture. Now the lag is less, and people tend not to notice, even many gamers. TVs have game modes to help reduce the lag, but it does not eliminate the lag. Most HDTVs still lag by more than 1 frame.

Finally, regarding lag issues and Scaling issues aside, I read that PS3 USB ports add 1-2 frames of lag on anything that goes through them (although some will argue this is incorrect). You can avoid these lost frames for sure by playing on an official Dual Shock 3 wireless pad or by hacking the DS3 PCB into your arcade stick. If I was having issues, I would consider it, but I am SF4'ed out at this time. I don't even touch SF4 anymore, as it feels so tired.

----

EDIT : I see you don't have good online experience according to your post and you don't have own a 360 with online...your information seems to be 2nd hand and not your PERSONAL experience as opposed to what I offered which is 1st hand testimonial experience playing my 360 and PS3 copies of SF4, SSF4, SSF4 AE, Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, SSF2 HD Remix, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Mortal Kombat 9, etc.Yes, I literally have two copies of those games and more. I just found it odd that you have such a strong opinion without having the machines or good online to test it out personally every day for a period, as I had. I bought two copies of these fighting games on two platforms to play the best of each community.

Strangely, I only have one copy of 360s Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 Origins on XBLA, and that game has NO online players when I would sign in after work. I never could find a single match online for months on XBLA before I gave up (yes, I tried every mode out), which was a waste of money.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#16 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

MiguelNoche

You know Coolyfett has been gaming for a while and has no interest in what Microsoft is doing over there. To Coolyfett the only reason they got in the industry is because of Sony Playstation. 3rd Parties probably love them though. Coolyfett has been a Nintendo heckler since early 90s lol, but Coolyfett has more respect for Nintendo then those Xbox machines. They seem like they are only in it for the money. Of course business is business, but the Xbox machines seem like they are the least fun and have the least variety and diversity when it comes to games. Coolyfett gets this impression from the games he always sees & how most of their players behave here on Gamespot. They just dont appeal to Coolyfett all that much. Xbox 360 came in 3 place in sales this generation and rightfully so.

redshirt44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 redshirt44
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Gears, Fable, Halo, Forza..that's about it that interested me on the 360.
DigiTMPS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DigiTMPS3
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Don't forget PSN :)