PlayStation 4 Controller Break Easily?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

Hi all, first of all, thank you to those who replies to my other thread about wanting to buy a PS4. I just have another question.

I watched a video on YouTube and the guy who was commentating said that the analog sticks break easily and you have to replace them quite frequently. Is this true?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I have the launch model and I haven't had that problem, but I read some others did. Sony will fix that though as it's still under warranty.

I read the new DS4's don't use the same rubber either.

Avatar image for thegamingjunkie
thegamingjunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By thegamingjunkie
Member since 2014 • 309 Posts

@Chris_53: Well, I think it depends on how you manage/use your controller. Some people are really harsh/rough on the analog stick so, of course, it becomes even more fragile overtime and eventually wears out.

However, I tend to handle my controller pretty well so it's still in absolutely spectacular condition after 2 months. The rubber on the top of the analog stick might seem cheap to you when you first use it and feels like it will tear and stuff, but thats just the way it is (I've checked), it's perfectly normal. After a while you'll get use to it. Though I'm not saying it won't break or tear, just sayin you still have to be cautious and careful with it, and if you are, it'll be okay :)

So no, it's not necessarily true that they break easily. Plus, lovin my PS4 so far (if you have not got one already), now just waiting for all the good games to come out XD

REfan1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By REfan1987
Member since 2005 • 327 Posts

The PS4 controller is fragile. My R2 button broke after a week. Took it into Gamestop and they couldn't replace it.

Many people have issues with the R1 and R2 buttons sticking, but I haven't heard of problems with analog sticks.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@Chris_53:

@thegamingjunkie said:

@Chris_53: Well, I think it depends on how you manage/use your controller. Some people are really harsh/rough on the analog stick so, of course, it becomes even more fragile overtime and eventually wears out.

However, I tend to handle my controller pretty well so it's still in absolutely spectacular condition after 2 months. The rubber on the top of the analog stick might seem cheap to you when you first use it and feels like it will tear and stuff, but thats just the way it is (I've checked), it's perfectly normal. After a while you'll get use to it. Though I'm not saying it won't break or tear, just sayin you still have to be cautious and careful with it, and if you are, it'll be okay :)

So no, it's not necessarily true that they break easily. Plus, lovin my PS4 so far (if you have not got one already), now just waiting for all the good games to come out XD

This is wrong, the rubber on the DS4 at launch were cheap as rubber, I have 2 controllers bought at launch, I play on average an hour a day if that, both of my controllers rubber on the left analog stick have come away, I am super careful with my stuff and take care of them, but it didn't matter, the rubber was very cheap and rubbed very easily and split, I've never had this problem with any other controller ever, I'm hoping they bring out a superior Controller soon so i can get rid of these awful analog sticks. but the actually controller themselves for me are made very well, but thats just me as the person above has had trouble with the triggers.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@SolidTy said:

I have the launch model and I haven't had that problem, but I read some others did. Sony will fix that though as it's still under warranty.

I read the new DS4's don't use the same rubber either.

I didn't know that they changed the rubber on the DS4. Thats good news. I had the analog stick rubber crack on both of my launch controllers. I just bought the grips for both and things have been fine since. Well except the battery life...

commandokock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 commandokock
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

not sure about the general opinion on this but i can vouch for my ps4 controllers durability. ive thrown that thing around a bit and it still works good

Avatar image for thegamingjunkie
thegamingjunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 thegamingjunkie
Member since 2014 • 309 Posts

@bezza2011: Technically, this is not 'wrong', because I didn't buy mine from launch, I bought mine in June- nor will he, because he missed launch. And I have 3 controllers which are in perfectly fine condition (as well as the analog stick). If it is 'wrong' then I guess its just a matter of luck if you'll get a good controller or a bad one. My friend has a PS4 which he bought around May and she uses his nail to press onto the analog stick (habit) and of course, it didn't turn out too good. So yes, taking good care of the controller does matter.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@thegamingjunkie: they may have fixed the rubber by then, I was more talking about launch controllers, I've hardly touched mine and the rubber has gone, i mean this should not happen, i play mine an hour a day if that, i take good care of my gear, the rubber is just cheap

BatladyMia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BatladyMia
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

The material on the sticks do wear easily, and I've been forced to replace them with Xbox One sticks because of it. It's really an improvement, but it really sucks that this wear and tear happens.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i also had to use rubber grips for the analog sticks, since one of them started to tear, this is the only problem but it is a big one...

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

I sure hope not. My PS3 controller lasted like 6 years. Then recently last year when i went to replace it, the ps3 controller died in 2 months. I hope they have not went cheap on the making of controllers, because i just got a PS4, and it better last.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

PS3 controllers were really crappy compared to PS2. Cheaper buttons, plastic and the analog sticks were much less snappy than the PS2 ones. The PS2 ones also do not bend or squeak like PS3 controllers do even when they are twice as old and used twice as much.

Here's hoping PS4 controllers are built to better standards.

Dualshocked01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dualshocked01
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

Okey so I'm just going to weigh in on the subject.

I do not own an xbox because I hate too many things about it.

My next credential is the fact I currently own a PS4 Pro.

My final credential is the fact that I am on my thirty eighth yes I said 38th Dualshock 4.

I suggest when you get a PS4 keep the Dualshock 4 on you're entertainment center and use an Astro C40 TR which had not released for buy yet or a Scuf Controller.

The reason is due to how bad the L2, R2, Right Stick and Left sticks are constructed.

Than there is the fact that I had my PS4 Pro Dualshock 4 for just under a year before the left stick malfunctioned inside it's housing and the right 2 button broke.

Three months ago I bought a navy blue Dualshock 4 and the left analog stick malfunctioned.

Than this month I bought a red Dualshock 4 and just an hour ago the left analog stick malfunctioned.

Anytime the analog stick functions it results in an either upward or left directional drift.

I'm so close to buying a Keyboard and Mouse emulator it's not funny.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#15 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

Thanks dude, however this thread is over 4 years old. However as it turns out, my controller has lasted a good 3 years and still going strong

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

I haven't had any issues with the analog sticks, but I have had issues with the batteries no longer charging. It's happened to two controllers, one of which I only had a for a year. This is literally the only complaint I have about Playstation though. Bad luck with the controllers.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#17 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

My mate ended up breaking a PS4 controller I lent him. Hasn't paid me back & probably never will. They aren't cheap either. Other than that, I've had no issues with it.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

It's miles better than the dual shock 3 feels a lot better and more sturdy.