Playstation 3 sales climbing, Playstation 3 overtakes Xbox360 in sales

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jonathan512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jonathan512
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts
http://www.examiner.com/article/report-ps3-passes-xbox-360-sales-wii-u-expected-to-sell-50-million-by-2016 At least it had by January 10, 2013. The impending release of the Playstation 4 has ironically caused a spike in sales increase for the Playstation 3. This system will be 7 years old by the time the Playstation 4 releases in 2013 - has it been that much time? Amazing.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
So what?
RapidTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RapidTurtle
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts

I personally think that Sony is setup to win in the next gen if M$$ keeps charging us for Live, and nickle and dimes us to death on accesories that we need.

The PS3 is a much better value than the 360. Rechargable controllers, online play and apps are free, wireless networking has always been built in, and they don't have a non hard drive model. Microsoft wont get away with this forever. They are relying on only two exclusive franchises in GOW and Halo. I'm just surprised it has taken this long for the consumer to wake up and realize what a great system the PS3 really is.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kravyn81
I personally think that Sony is setup to win in the next gen if M$$ keeps charging us for Live...RapidTurtle
They won't. What do you think PS+ is? It's a beta to test whether or not customers will pay. You can bet your ass that to play online with the next gen PS you will be paying for it just like Live. And given Sony's financial woes they'd be foolish NOT to start charging.
Jonathan512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jonathan512
"So what?" - other people care.
Jonathan512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jonathan512

I personally think that Sony is setup to win in the next gen if M$$ keeps charging us for Live, and nickle and dimes us to death on accesories that we need.

The PS3 is a much better value than the 360. Rechargable controllers, online play and apps are free, wireless networking has always been built in, and they don't have a non hard drive model. Microsoft wont get away with this forever. They are relying on only two exclusive franchises in GOW and Halo. I'm just surprised it has taken this long for the consumer to wake up and realize what a great system the PS3 really is.

RapidTurtle
You're right it is a better deal. But mostly because it has 1 year more advanced hardware, and a blu-ray player. Xbox360 has those features you just mentioned - except for free online play. Microsoft knows this - but it has no choice. A bad business model - whereby it sustained $6 billion losses in its Games Division until 2006, is the main reason they offer a worse deal.
Jonathan512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jonathan512
"to play online with the next gen PS you will be paying for it just like Live" Not true. Sony hasn't charged for it since 2006, and has given no indication it will start charging for their online service.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kravyn81
"So what?" - other people care.Jonathan512
No, only you. Or else the board here would be flooded with topics like this. Nobody gives a sh!t.
jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts
go back to system wars. people here don't care what system sold more...
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kravyn81
go back to system wars. people here don't care what system sold more...jeffster85
Thank you.
jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jeffster85
[QUOTE="jeffster85"]go back to system wars. people here don't care what system sold more...Kravyn81
Thank you.

and if they DID care, they'd already be posting there as well. lol.
Jonathan512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jonathan512
"Nobody here gives a ****" - How do you know what everyone thinks? Don't volunteer your opinion as everyone else's.
H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts
http://www.examiner.com/article/report-ps3-passes-xbox-360-sales-wii-u-expected-to-sell-50-million-by-2016 At least it had by January 10, 2013. The impending release of the Playstation 4 has ironically caused a spike in sales increase for the Playstation 3. This system will be 7 years old by the time the Playstation 4 releases in 2013 - has it been that much time? Amazing.Jonathan512
Yes it's good news, but that doesn't mean PS4 is coming out this year, and yeah this is a SW topic. I respect both Xbox and PS3
EastMagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 EastMagi
Member since 2012 • 141 Posts

Not surprised since PS3 plays blu-ray movies too. More homes are getting HDTV with 3D capability, so it only makes sense to buy a PS3. Besides, its game library is very similar to other consoles, and with more interesting exclusives.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

This sounds to me more like System Wars topic, I'm glad to hear PS3 is selling well but in all honestly I care about the games, not units sold. That worry is up for the executives to think about.

jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jeffster85

"Go back to system wars..." This isn't exactly a system war topic. Playstation 3 overtakes Xbox360 in total sales. Once again - 2 people don't constitute a majority. Jonathan512

*looks at top of page*

"- Cross-platform discussions belong in System Wars."

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kravyn81
"Go back to system wars..." This isn't exactly a system war topic. Playstation 3 overtakes Xbox360 in total sales. Once again - 2 people don't constitute a majority. Jonathan512
Dur dur duuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! "Cross-platform discussions belong in System Wars." CROSS-PLATFORM DISCUSSIONS. And since you're directly comparing PS3 to 360 sales that constitutes CROSS-PLATFORM DISCUSSION. Buh bye!
Jonathan512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jonathan512

This sounds to me more like System Wars topic, I'm glad to hear PS3 is selling well but in all honestly I care about the games, not units sold. That worry is up for the executives to think about.

Sokol4ever
Actually it's up to anyone to think about, who is interested.
Jonathan512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jonathan512

Sokol4ever
This isn't exactly a System wars topic. It's a news discussions.
Jonathan512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jonathan512
[QUOTE="Jonathan512"]"Go back to system wars..." This isn't exactly a system war topic. Playstation 3 overtakes Xbox360 in total sales. Once again - 2 people don't constitute a majority. Kravyn81
Dur dur duuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! "Cross-platform discussions belong in System Wars." CROSS-PLATFORM DISCUSSIONS. And since you're directly comparing PS3 to 360 sales that constitutes CROSS-PLATFORM DISCUSSION. Buh bye!

You're not even an administrator.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Okay

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

Microsoft has spoiled this gen by getting exclusive games using the argument that they were leader in sales, often using the developer to lie about "full exclusivity" and the game was released on PS3 later

This and the PS4 being released in the same time frame as the X720 may change how exclusives are handles next gen

jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jeffster85
[QUOTE="Kravyn81"][QUOTE="Jonathan512"]"Go back to system wars..." This isn't exactly a system war topic. Playstation 3 overtakes Xbox360 in total sales. Once again - 2 people don't constitute a majority. Jonathan512

You're not even an administrator.

you don't need to be an admin to be able to read ;)
metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

Being the Sony fanboy I am, I'm totally excited about this. While graphically the 360 does at many times just get a nudge over the PS3, the PS3 I feel has been severely underrated as a system and gotten a lot of undeserved ignorance from overall gamers, especially in North America. Here, the 360 is much more known to casual consumers the same way the Wii fit the casual player. when people think "video games" they usually think "Xbox." I dunno, maybe it just rolls off the tongue easier than saying "Playstation 3."

Really the Xbox has just 2 things going for it - Halo and GOW. Being FPS games, PS3 killer apps like Uncharted are more ignored because they seem more like adventure games where you have to actually think about stuff; as well as a game like Killzone where the FPS atmosphere isn't as immediately recognizable, even though KZ 2 and 3 are great games. The PS3 exclusives are where real hardcore gaming is, considering they provide a much greater challenge in terms of in game mechanics such as puzzles and strategies, as well as artistic merit. I think the spike in sales is probably due to people finally becoming a bit bored with just FPS run and gunning and wanting something a little more out of their games. Considering how way too easily people are impressed these days, it's no wonder any FPS can automatically seem like a masterpiece.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

Thanks for posting. I wouldn't have found this otherwise.

Avatar image for DarkBloodPrince
DarkBloodPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 DarkBloodPrince
Member since 2007 • 470 Posts

[QUOTE="RapidTurtle"]I personally think that Sony is setup to win in the next gen if M$$ keeps charging us for Live...Kravyn81
They won't. What do you think PS+ is? It's a beta to test whether or not customers will pay. You can bet your ass that to play online with the next gen PS you will be paying for it just like Live. And given Sony's financial woes they'd be foolish NOT to start charging.

but its worth though for the "free" games and the discounts

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts
[QUOTE="Jonathan512"]http://www.examiner.com/article/report-ps3-passes-xbox-360-sales-wii-u-expected-to-sell-50-million-by-2016 At least it had by January 10, 2013. The impending release of the Playstation 4 has ironically caused a spike in sales increase for the Playstation 3. This system will be 7 years old by the time the Playstation 4 releases in 2013 - has it been that much time? Amazing.

PS3 did not overtake XBOX in sales, and it never will considering the huge difference in numbers. PS3 overtook XBOX in number of consoles SHIPPED. change your title.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

[QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

Jonathan512

This isn't exactly a System wars topic. It's a news discussions.

It's a "news" discussion with intent to provoke system wars on official Gamespot PS3 forum..Even if you're not stating that fact, it's pretty obvious. This PS3forum is not the part of such topics. I'm not sure why I am entertaining this reply, I figured you would get the message the first time. ;)

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="RapidTurtle"]I personally think that Sony is setup to win in the next gen if M$$ keeps charging us for Live...Kravyn81

Sony would be a fool to charge. A lot of people won't buy the PS4 if they charge and I am one of them.
Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Geminon
[QUOTE="Kravyn81"][QUOTE="RapidTurtle"]I personally think that Sony is setup to win in the next gen if M$$ keeps charging us for Live...AmazonTreeBoa

Sony would be a fool to charge. A lot of people won't buy the PS4 if they charge and I am one of them.

a lot of people arent going to buy the PS4 just based on the fact that it is more and more looking like it wont support used games.i guarantee the flood of stupid ideas is not going to stop flowing from sony. they will most likely have a basic PSN and PSN+ that you pay a sub for. expect basic PSN to have the bare minimum features (you can play online, and that is it)... i wouldnt even doubt it if they made it so you couldnt voice chat without PSN+
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Sony will keep the Playstation 3 in action alongside the Playstation 4 or Obris. MS will kill the Xbox 360 when Xbox 720 is released. Sony PS3 could end up being in service for 11 or 12 years total. Simliar to PS and PS2.

So yep there are 77 million Xbox 360's and 78 Million PS3 out in the world. Either in peoples homes or sitting on store shelves.

KaY_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KaY_86
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts
who said ps4 is going to be released this year?
EastMagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EastMagi
Member since 2012 • 141 Posts

who said ps4 is going to be released this year?KaY_86

Sony and Microsoft are planning to launch their next gen consoles sometime during Q1 2013. Announcement or the actual release of these systems have been hinted to take place at the upcoming big E3 convention in a few more months. It's in the news everywhere this week!

And - PS4 is rumored to be 50% more powerful than XBox 720

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="KaY_86"]who said ps4 is going to be released this year?EastMagi

Sony and Microsoft are planning to launch their next gen consoles sometime during Q1 2013. Announcement or the actual release of these systems have been hinted to take place at the upcoming big E3 convention in a few more months. It's in the news everywhere this week!

And - PS4 is rumored to be 50% more powerful than XBox 720

Rumors... nothing concrete at all to go off of as of yet. And even if it was, I really don't think we'd see a huge gap in performance between the two consoles.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
Well, I've contributed to Sonys success. My PS3 got the YmotherFLOD so I ordered a new Super slim 500gb yesterday. Having owned my PS2 for ten years, I still use it day to day as a family DVD player, I must say, I feel a little agitated at ordering another console, so Sony, just don't be pushing the PS4 down my throat this year, I need more time.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Those are predictions from an analyst, not official numbers. We won't know the actual sales figures until next month.
Mar_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mar_Sama
Member since 2012 • 93 Posts

Hello there. I will just comment on 3 things.
1. For the people here arguing what kind of topic this is. Now it is an Off-topic discussion because the most posts are not even about the Topic Theme.
2. How can there be an paid PSN on the PS4 when Sony clearly knows that brought them this succsess in this Generation. This closed the gap tremendously and Helped the PS3 with the comeback. You don't kill the chicken that brings you the golden eggs.
3. I am happy that Sony shipped more PS3's but they need to focus on the PS4 now because there is a new question i am asking myself. Will there be CD Drives in the Consoles? Will it all be like in the new Minicomputer Gamespot shown?

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Geminon
i say again, PS3 has not outsold the xbox.... is has SHIPPED more than xbox. the XBOX sold 2 to 1 more consoles over christmas. as for the rumor about the PS4 being more powerful than the xbox720.... well that was the same rumor this gen and we all see how that turned out. xbox regularly gets the graphical edge in multiplatform games. i have been severely disappointed in the PS3 since its release, outside of the uncharted series and a handful of other games... i find myself buying more games for my xbox because they either look better or have more people playing online. PSN is a big stumbling block for me with the playstation. XBL is just better in every way. less lag, more people playing, better voice chat, faster matchmaking....there is a reason you pay money for it. plus, the dualshock needs a redesign like.... now. the xbox controller, with its stick position is just more comfortable. it also provides better control in shooters. now, the D pad on the dualshock is WAY superior for fighters.... so i would love to see some sort of combination of the D pad from the dualshock and analog stick layout of the xbox controller.... that would be the perfect controller.
Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts

I just hope they can do something right with this success for once.