Playing videos without converting...Possible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wowbaggertip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wowbaggertip
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts

So I've had success in using Redkawa to convert various movies and video files on my computer so that I can play them on my PS3. The process tends to be pretty annoying though, my computer is not that fast and it can take like an hour to convert a full length movie , occasionally even getting an error after I transfer it and having to start over again. I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to get the PS3 to accept and play more video types so that I can skip the conversion process altogether. Whether its as simple as installing some codecs or whatever (I'm relatively savy and could follow simple directions without a problem). Any help is greatly appreciated!!

---I will pre-lol myself because I'm sure this has been asked on the board before, so no sarcasm is necessary =)

thanks again guys!

wolfblademusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 wolfblademusic
Member since 2003 • 1047 Posts
You don't have to transfer your data. You can always use Windows Media player 11, set up as a server, and then stream your content. As for playing them without converting...I 'm waiting on that one too.
wowbaggertip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wowbaggertip
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts
Actually I have been able to set up WM as a server and it has helped in transferring as well as streaming. Unfortunately, yeah you still can only play converted vids, very annoying.
Avatar image for darkangel_78589
darkangel_78589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 darkangel_78589
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts
As it stands, there is no other way of playing videos files on the system, other than those that the system recognizes. So, conversion is needed. Will there be some sort of fix later on down the road? Possibly. But, I wouldn't hold my breath just yet.
bob_dartagnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bob_dartagnan
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts
I think the media player that you can get for Linux plays everything. You'd have to install it on yur PS3 and all that though. That and Im not 100% sure I'm right so you may want to dig around before you install it just to be sure.