Playing PS One games on PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OhioKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OhioKid
Member since 2007 • 164 Posts

I have been looking into buying a new PS3 since my PS2 just died. I have looked at the stickied topics but have a few questions. I have a few PS one games that I still play, will those work on the new Slim PS3's? also would I have to keep my PS one memory card? I also saw that you could download psone games on PS3 how much do those cost? Thanks

Avatar image for GameMaster78900
GameMaster78900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GameMaster78900
Member since 2004 • 143 Posts

To my knowledge, the backwards compatibility issue only has to do with playing PS2 games. You'll be able to play any PS1 game you want on the slim, but not PS2. About the memory card, you'll create a "virtual" memory card on your hard drive. It behaves just like a PS1 memory card would but all virtual, it's just like a file on a computer. On the PSN games are either $5.99 or $9.99. Hope that helps!

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
All PS1 games work on all PS3's. The price depends on where you live and depends on the game. The Final Fantay games cost more then the others. $9.99 and 7.99 in UK,
OhioKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 OhioKid
Member since 2007 • 164 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. Is there any place with a list of all of the PS one downloadable games? Also should I keep anything from my PS2 (controllers)?

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

You can't use your PS1 memory card on the PS3, you'll have to start the games over and save on the hard drive. Here's the list of PS1 games.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

You can't use your PS1 memory card on the PS3, you'll have to start the games over and save on the hard drive. Here's the list of PS1 games.

Floppy_Jim

Yes you can. Well, not "use it" actively. But you can transfer save files.

The only thing that probably won't work are the multi disk PS1 games on PSN (Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, ect) as they are coded a little differently due to the virtual disk swapping.

Though, not at Amazon's laughable price of $50. But just an example that it does exist. I bought mine for $15 a couple years ago...

Urizen5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Urizen5
Member since 2006 • 521 Posts

well like Denji showed, you should be able to transfer your files with the mem card usb device. You literally make a ps1 file on your hard drive enabling transfers. Unkown whether your save files would work on PSN downloads. I play several PS1 games on my PS3. works fine.

thooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thooz
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Not all PS1 games are "fully" compatible with the PS3. May come across glitches when playing. The ones from Playstation Store will be fully compatible. Found this out when trying my old copy of Music 2000, game loads fine but quite a few of the sounds loops don't play. There's a page on playstation.com where you can check compatibility of PS1 games.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

Not all PS1 games are "fully" compatible with the PS3. May come across glitches when playing. The ones from Playstation Store will be fully compatible. Found this out when trying my old copy of Music 2000, game loads fine but quite a few of the sounds loops don't play. There's a page on playstation.com where you can check compatibility of PS1 games.

thooz
This is true, my copy of Wing Commander 3 keeps showing off a crazy error message on my PS3 but it's fine on my PS2.