Platinum completion. What's your opinion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

captkiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 captkiwi
Member since 2009 • 137 Posts

Do you feel like a game is officially completed only when you have achieved platinum status for it? Also, does having a trophy system help you to complete games that you'd would never complete otherwise?

MikeyIsPogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MikeyIsPogi
Member since 2007 • 854 Posts

Depends, like if you platinum FFXIII you basically did everything already. On the other hand, after you platinum Borderlands, there's still so much to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-638d165ba095d
deactivated-638d165ba095d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-638d165ba095d
Member since 2002 • 753 Posts
Yes unless DLC come out or it has a multi player mode that I enjoy. (Like BFBC2 & Bioshock 2)
FireFox67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 FireFox67
Member since 2008 • 1012 Posts

Depends, like if you platinum FFXIII you basically did everything already. On the other hand, after you platinum Borderlands, there's still so much to do.

MikeyIsPogi

this! depends on the game and his trophy list

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
It depends on the game. GOW3 for example has so more combat challenge arena things you can do, plus all the extra skins you can play with, and bonus videos. Uncharted 2 is also an example where you aren't complete after the trophies due to online play. However, a game such as Demon's Souls IMO would be rather complete after you get all the trophies.
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
On my first playtrough I never look at trophies, I just beat the game. Once I beat it I start collecting trophies for the replay and the lulz. And when I do that I try to get as many as I can :P
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Do you feel like a game is officially completed only when you have achieved platinum status for it?

No, I feel it is done when I finish the story. I don't really care about finding blast shards in Infamous, killing pigeons in GTA 4, or taking steps in Final Fantasy 13.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
lolno. At least, getting the platinum for BlazBlue never stopped me from staying addicted.
inFamousLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inFamousLemon
Member since 2010 • 218 Posts

I look at trophies first before the first playtrough, just not to have to do a playtrough again if it isnt necessary. One good example is the One Gun trophy in Dead Space. Oh and a game is 101% complete if i platinum it :P

Shoooryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shoooryuken
Member since 2009 • 969 Posts
I dun have FFXIII Platinum but I think I completed it when I finished the Story + Cieth Missions. Spending hours and hours of grinding and farming doesn't make any sense for me...
captkiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 captkiwi
Member since 2009 • 137 Posts

Do you feel like a game is officially completed only when you have achieved platinum status for it?Legolas_Katarn

No, I feel it is done when I finish the story. I don't really care about finding blast shards in Infamous, killing pigeons in GTA 4, or taking steps in Final Fantasy 13.

I kind of feel the same way, except it's for games that have different difficulty levels. It doesn't seem worth it to play through the story again, unless it's in the future when you've forgotten it. However, it was fun to play through uncharted 2 several times, for some reason that never got old.

Avatar image for Dragonspear2462
Dragonspear2462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dragonspear2462
Member since 2007 • 384 Posts

Depends on the game. In FF XIII, if you get platinum..you done with the game. SOme games like Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 still have lots to do after platiunm(Mainly ONLINE in this case)

Fantasticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fantasticus
Member since 2009 • 666 Posts
yes
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
No. If I ever get a plat for BC2 my work will still not be done. There are always people on the field who need a super medic by there side.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
i consider a come completed when you finish they story mode. so sometimes thats when you get the platinum and sometimes its not.
nelson415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 nelson415
Member since 2007 • 1807 Posts

For some games, Platinums do help me play the game more. For example LBP and Heavy Rain. I unlocked everything in LBP only for the trophies

Furycliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Furycliff
Member since 2007 • 676 Posts

Without a doubt trophies make me do a few things in a game I normally wouldnt. Most games though on the first playthrough I dont worry about trophies that much since I dont think I should go out of my way instead of enjoying the game.

Personally I find trophies make second, third, etc times playing through a game feel more rewarding.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Nope a good game is going to always be a be a good game, there are tons of games I beat 100% multiple times a long time ago and I still play them. Not to mention alot of trophies are just needless grinding that forces you play unnaturally not explore every nook and cranny of a game.
slim-pagey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 slim-pagey
Member since 2006 • 362 Posts

On my first playtrough I never look at trophies, I just beat the game. Once I beat it I start collecting trophies for the replay and the lulz. And when I do that I try to get as many as I can :Pkweeni

same

slim-pagey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 slim-pagey
Member since 2006 • 362 Posts

On my first playtrough I never look at trophies, I just beat the game. Once I beat it I start collecting trophies for the replay and the lulz. And when I do that I try to get as many as I can :Pkweeni

same

kramer_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#21 kramer_inc
Member since 2008 • 1303 Posts

I think going for plats is a good goal.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I consider a game to be completed when you get to the end - trophies don't have anything to do with it. If I really, REALLY love a game and want to spend a large amount of time in its world and experience every possible thing that it has to offer, then I work on the platinum. Otherwise I think it's a whole lot more fun to just move onto another game.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#23 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

A game feels completed to me once I see the credits roll on the single player

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

Pretty much, techincally I've finished Resistance 2 but until I get 100% it's not finished in my book, the only problem is that I can't be bothered to play it.

budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#25 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts

Depends, Some games I want to keep playing regardless, so Ill go for plat in those games. Others I look at some trophies and laugh, not getting that crap. Yes I think the trophy system adds to replay value of a game.

monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
for me a game is complete when i am happy with the result or plat and dont feel the need to continue playing
KoolzKatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KoolzKatz
Member since 2009 • 827 Posts

I have 3 platinums(Infamous, Uncharted 2, AC2) and now going on 4 with Heavy Rain. When the game is fun and not a bore i will strive for platinum. The games i have platinum for were awesome and Heavy Rain is great because i get to see all the different possible endings and outcomes. I never try for tropies when i cant stand the game.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Adds replay value to games that you might not revisit otherwise.

There's room for improvement though: should be geared more towards being challenging rather than just time consuming/grinding.

tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 tigertechie
Member since 2009 • 1951 Posts
Well if you plat ACiT, there's online leaderboards, skill points, (impossible), your own profile, it's never finished. That's why its a great game!
txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 txr302
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

Honestly, I couldn't care less for trophies. Sure, it's for replay value and challenge, but I'd rather play more games than spend hrs wasting on a trophy.

big_boss1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 big_boss1988
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts

that and i get the trophies i enjoy getting only. i dont care about a plantium that i dont enjoy.

black__bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 black__bunny
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts

Not really. for me i only feel like ive completed a game when ive done everything i possibly can in the game, to the highest difficulty and got all the trophies i can. trophies add replay value for me as ill play through again to get ones i missed first time but i dont mind if i can platinum it or not.

Ill still play online thou, i never really feel like that can be completed.

Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
Like most others have said. Also as for playing a game to the end. Deff for me. I waould hav quite many games if they would have not had trophies. Like dragon age. I plat this game but after my first play through, that would have been it. Also assassins creed. I would have never gotten all of the feathers. After the main story that serves no purpose.
jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

I guess its according to what game your trying to plat. Some games allow you to beat the game but continue afterwards to do certain tasks. I usually go for these if they are reasonable trophies to get. I did go back and do everything in FF13 to get the plat. I normally would have never done that as it took me about 60 hours to do that, but i felt satisfied when i saw the plat show up on the screen.

Ive come to really enjoy collecting trophies to the point where it has a strong influence on what games i play. I especially like playing the easy games for the easy trophies, but im not above going for a hard game.

I guess a good example would be Metal Gear Solid 4. Like all MGS games i put it on easy and run through the game only using required stealth as needed. If you were to slap on trophies to that game that required you to be a ninja, id be a ninja just to get the trophies and well i can always say i did it.

To start with i could care less about trophies but after i went for that first platinum and got it i was thrilled. Then i kept going for more, now i won't play a game just to beat it and put it away, i gotta 100% it.

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

yes, such as Assassin's Creed 2, i dont feel like i fully beaten the game, until i got the platinum, now that i did, i dont have any use to playing that game again, so Platinum trophies are there to keep the replay value

jdiamnz69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 jdiamnz69
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

Do you feel like a game is officially completed only when you have achieved platinum status for it? Also, does having a trophy system help you to complete games that you'd would never complete otherwise?

captkiwi

I feel a little uncomplete if i dont Platinum. Ive only gotten one, and when i finally Got it i felt acchomplished, and as if i completed everysinglething in the game.

dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
I don't even care about trophies at all, I play until I get bored. For Dragon Age, which is my only Plat, I only got it because I was getting all the value out of the game: different origins, classes, choices, romances, all on Nightmare. I'd say that I mastered the original game, having not got the expansion.
Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

I love trophys, I've finished Uncharted 2 like 5 times, because I loved it so much I wanted all the trophies, and now I have the platinums for MW2, UC1 and UC2 and very soon to be ( 95% ) ACII, NEXT UP IS SUPER STREET FIGHTER 4 !!!!!

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

I think going for plats is kind of lame personally. I consider a game done when I beat single player and from then on if the game has replay value I will check trophies just to give myself a direction maybe, but the ones that are grinding are stupid. Nobody else cares what trophies you have so it's kind of stupid imo but it does help with replay. I just think some people take it too seriously. Odds are I will never have a plat because once I'm done a game I rarely spend enough time replaying it to merit it. One of the few exceptions might be LittleBigPlanet but even then it's because the game itself is so damn fun that whatever trophy you might decide to go for you forget you're trying for it after a few minutes of playing anyways because you're having such a great time. More games would benfit from being like that as opposed to being like "here is a trophy for playing for 900 hours and pressing the square button 7014 times".

My favorite PS3 game is BioShock and as much as I love it I will NEVER plat that game. I barely have the time to beat some games once, let alone play through the entire games on harder difficulties to get 4 trophies. I guess some people feel a sense of accomplishment or superiority for spending several more hours on it but to me, it stops being about fun at that point. I wouldn't feel immersed in it if I'm just doing it to get a trophy so I can brag to the internets about it.

Alternately I'm not a big fan of the auto trophies either though.

A friend brought over the new NHL game and after doing the tutorial which you have to do just to get to the menu the first time you get a trophy. So technically I got a "reward" for turning the system on, putting the game in and pressing the button it told me to press. Great...thanks...