Phil Harrison NEW Interview "Background Download confirmed" for 1.6 Up

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zer0Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zer0Shadow
Member since 2006 • 747 Posts
GI: Well, it was very important, especially for me. There was all of this talk about the big update when the console hits Europe in March. You mentioned today, background downloads. Will that be part of it, and what are some of the other things that you have planned for that?

Harrison: The only thing I can talk about is that background downloading will be part of the 1.6 upgrade. There’s a bunch of other stuff, but Kawanishi-san would kill me if I was to reveal all of the details.

Whole Interview:

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...351.htm?Page=1
Page 1 ^

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...351.htm?Page=2
Page 2 ^

Jesus christ the PSN just keeps on getting better and better.
Xanog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Xanog1
Member since 2004 • 12332 Posts

Hooray!

Now I can play games AND download the demos at the same time, this will come in handy whenever the Lair demo comes out, considering the massive amount of space that it will likely need.

Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
and when is 1.6 coming out...is this the euro launch firmware
-L-U-I-S-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 -L-U-I-S-
Member since 2006 • 3665 Posts
Thats good to know
Zer0Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zer0Shadow
Member since 2006 • 747 Posts
and when is 1.6 coming out...is this the euro launch firmwareMiguel16

My  friends at 1up say that it will happen this month(like at the end) but, the euro PS3s will come with it pre-installed.

I wonder what the other things the update will have, I hope that it will have a sond download service like the one with singstar just, where you wouldn't need the game to play the songs.
Furbyballistik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Furbyballistik
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts
he said theres going to be a bunch of other stuff! omg....i really wish i knew wat it was!
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts

Hooray!

Now I can play games AND download the demos at the same time, this will come in handy whenever the Lair demo comes out, considering the massive amount of space that it will likely need.

Xanog1
Haha, and i thought they where talking about downloading background pictures/flash for the ps3 :P silly me
Yankee_In_TX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Yankee_In_TX
Member since 2007 • 732 Posts
*does a happy dance* Until now I pretty much set it to d/l before I leave or when I go to bed. This will be nice!
bkslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bkslayer
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts
They will probably screw it up again where the "background downloads" will quit if you exit the PS Store.
Alpha2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Alpha2
Member since 2003 • 3203 Posts
You guys might want to keep in mind that a background download would probably be limited to certain situations. See when you're playing something like Resistance online or a game that installs on the HD you might experience lag and or game slow down as you can only do so many things at one time.

On a PC if you try to download a video while at the same time playing a game  you;re going to experience issues in your game play or find your download taking longer than it should. This is just the way technology works. I say this because at some point when the feature is revealed there WILL probably be some kind of restrction as to when you can do background downloading and someone will enevitably b!tch about it because they were expecting too much.
SirRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SirRaven
Member since 2005 • 934 Posts

The bad news is that most of us are using our PS3s to play online since we don't have new titles to select from. So downloading stuff in the bg and playing online won't mix very well. It's still good in the long run though, I'm glad they put it in.

I have a feeling that they are going to allow in-game multi-tasking. There's definitely a reason why simply pressing the PS button doesn't instantly bring up the menu like the PSP does w/ the home button. I'm sure they'll incorporate the XMB to show up on a tap while holding the button is the shutdown scheme.

Andres001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Andres001
Member since 2005 • 601 Posts
I hope one of the features is custom soundtrack while playing games.
bkslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bkslayer

The bad news is that most of us are using our PS3s to play online since we don't have new titles to select from. So downloading stuff in the bg and playing online won't mix very well. It's still good in the long run though, I'm glad they put it in.

I have a feeling that they are going to allow in-game multi-tasking. There's definitely a reason why simply pressing the PS button doesn't instantly bring up the menu like the PSP does w/ the home button. I'm sure they'll incorporate the XMB to show up on a tap while holding the button is the shutdown scheme.

SirRaven
Thats a really good point. I also realized the difference between the PSP's home button and the PS3's. Its also really annoying having to press the damned PS button everytime you switch out a PS2 game.
Alpha2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Alpha2
Member since 2003 • 3203 Posts
Pressing the PS button on PS2 games allows the system to recognize what controller you're using because you're leaving and entering a different opperating system and that OS dosent recognize the controller due to it's bluetooth nature unless you tell the systen "hey over here!" by pressing the button. 
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Miguel16
You guys might want to keep in mind that a background download would probably be limited to certain situations. See when you're playing something like Resistance online or a game that installs on the HD you might experience lag and or game slow down as you can only do so many things at one time.

On a PC if you try to download a video while at the same time playing a game  you;re going to experience issues in your game play or find your download taking longer than it should. This is just the way technology works. I say this because at some point when the feature is revealed there WILL probably be some kind of restrction as to when you can do background downloading and someone will enevitably b!tch about it because they were expecting too much.
Alpha2
true much like with the 360...whenever i download and begin to p-lay a game...notification pops up saying the download has stopped
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Miguel16

SirRaven
true thats what im waiting for so that when i recieve a message in game or while watching a movie i can just press the button and go and view it reather than completely exit the game/movie...another things that would be good is voice chat bettwen friends while im playing say resistance in single player or sumn...or jus voice chatting at any time
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts
Good, If Sony continues to support the PS3 this well then it will soon be worth the cash.
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 glitch2424
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts
[QUOTE="Xanog1"]

Hooray!

Krigon

Haha, and i thought they where talking about downloading background pictures/flash for the ps3 :P silly me

lol same here.

bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
[QUOTE="Xanog1"]

Hooray!

Krigon

hahaha me too! man, i actually wanted a wallpaper option more than a backround download thing. i hope they also have a wallpaper option in that update.
bkslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bkslayer
Pressing the PS button on PS2 games allows the system to recognize what controller you're using because you're leaving and entering a different opperating system and that OS dosent recognize the controller due to it's bluetooth nature unless you tell the systen "hey over here!" by pressing the button. Alpha2
I know what it does, and i know whats its purpose, but isn't it annoying? Maybe its due to the fact the PS button is placed at a very poor spot and that notification at the upper right might need something flashy, since i tend to forget or look away when the game is loading up.
GunnerAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GunnerAli
Member since 2007 • 247 Posts
thats great news finally i wonder wat the other secrets are?
bitedcurbnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bitedcurbnow
Member since 2004 • 1065 Posts
Thanks for posting that. It's pretty awesome that they can add new features through downloadable updates.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
I doubt you would be able to DL stuff and play games online(or even at all) at the same time, it would be way too taxing on the PS3 since so many menus are open and so much is going on at once.
TE_Lawrence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TE_Lawrence
Member since 2005 • 6934 Posts

Alpha2
It soly depends on the speed of the HDD as the PS3's South Bridge unlike on PCs got more bandwidth than needed (5GB/s: 2.5GB/s up and 2.5GB/down stream) so it avoids bottlenecks when communicating with sevarel devices at once; USB + HDD + Memorystick + Bluetooth + Wi-Fi + ... After all, the 360 doesn't seem to have serious bottleneck issues with its 1GB/s (5GB/s: 500MB/s up and 500MB/s down stream) South Bridge. And I bet the games can be given 1'st priority for HDD access.
bitedcurbnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bitedcurbnow
Member since 2004 • 1065 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't mind not being able to play online while downloading a demo or game. As long as you're able play offline it seems like a small price to pay for background downloads.
NamanOWNSyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 NamanOWNSyou
Member since 2005 • 1191 Posts
I read the title as "background image downloads" like Wallpaper, and immediately started imaging some nice Vector anime background wallpaper for the PS3, and then realized it's not the point of the thread. Still happy, background downloads are good,too. :D
lennygundam14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lennygundam14
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts

maybe one of the secrets that arent revealed yet is optimizing the PS3 internet browsers, jeez its soo slow

i hope they fix that...