PS2>>>PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

Fairly speaking

PS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all other consoles in existence

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#3 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Fairly speaking

4dr1el

EDIT: The only thing holding me back from saying Ps3 is better than ps2 is that ps3 has very few JRPG's. If ps3 had the same or more quality and quantity of JRPG's (hell, rpg's in general) then it would be better IMO. PS3 sold out in this department. Until then PS2 >>>>>>>>>>>> everything else ever.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1103 Posts

Fairly speaking

4dr1el
Sad, but true. The library of games for the PS2, from sheer volume to quality of titles to diversity of genres, remains second to none. I love the PS3 - and still feel it trumps the 360, if for no other reason than Sony continues to prompt diversity in their games instead of relying on shooter after shooter (but that's an argument best made in System Wars) - but it is rather disappointing that the library doesn't seem to be growing as quickly as I would've hoped. I don't know if it's because budgets on games have bloated to the point where it's harder for less ambitious games to get funding, thus a lot of potentially great games never get made because they were never given a chance, or if it's a matter of all the cross-platform tweaking slowing down development on more titles. Probably a bit of both. Of course, the PS3 has still only had half as many years as its predecessor. Once Microsoft puts out their next console, and likely drops all support for the 360, I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS3 given a chance to really stretch its wings. But, yeah, the lack of backwards compatibility coupled with leaving players little option but to buy PS2 titles via PSN store which, by this point, ought to encompass the better part of the PS2 catalog yet doesn't, blows mightily. Someone at Sony seriously needs to get on the ball.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

the PS2 has the undisputed greatest library of games a system has ever had.

XKing2

True facts.

The only reason I originally bought my 60gb PS3 was because I was anticipating Kingdom Hearts 3 to be released on PS3. (Which is never going to happen.)

That was pretty much the only reason I said I wanted a PS3 before it came out.

But I'm pretty disappointed in the PS3's lackluster library. There's Tales of Graces f, Metal Gear Solid 4 and White Knight Chronicles...But that's about it for really outstanding exclusives. I'm not easily impressed like most people are by the shiny graphics in games like Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3. Those games are so boring. I'm more concerned with the gameplay, not the graphics.

The PS2 was miles better. There were SO MANY great JRPGs and platformers on the PS2.

I'm STILL trying to find all the great PS2 games. I recently bought Grandia 2 and Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga from Play n Trade, both great games.

And then I've got at least 15 other great PS2 JRPGs, but that's STILL not all of them!That's the thing I love the most about the PS2. JRPGS EVERYWHERE! And they're all great games too.

The PS2 has the best of both worlds. Quality, AND quantity.

It really sucks that Gamestop isn't selling any PS2 games anymore. Making them harder to find.

That's why I'm so glad stores like Play n Trade exist, because they sell games from every generation of gaming.

I'm still looking for Wild Arms 5, some of the .hack games, Grandia 3 and some of the Shin Megami Tensei games.

I have so many great PS2 games that I feel like I've exhausted the PS2's library. But guess what? I haven't! Not even close.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
True PS2 >>>>>> PS3 easily.
SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts

Combo Breaker. I prefer the PS3. Based on the other posts though, it seems you are all mostly RPG junkies, whereas I stopped playing RPG's after PS1. I can see where you are coming from as RPG fans.

I actually preferred Xbox last gen for multiplats and PS2 for exclusives. However, Devil May Cry Series, Onimusha Series, Yakuza 1-2, GTA (When Exclusive), Twisted Metal Black, SOCOM, and a few others where simply incredible and only on the PS2.

But, the PS3 is killer. So many awesome games with incredible exclusives. I personally just feel that PLAYSTAION 1-3 owns all.

LONG LIVE PLAY!

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#8 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Very misleading topic title.

I'll add my 10 pence while I'm here though so... PS3 > Every other console. Boom.

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
PS2 was also cheaper to develop for, so that system had a lot more games than it really knew what to do with. It seemed a lot friendlier to small developers with modest-sized publishers, which is why the .hack games could be made on it. I still enjoy the PS3 a lot though.
Jettero-Heller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jettero-Heller
Member since 2002 • 4289 Posts

Fairly speaking

4dr1el

Yes! Worth quoting again.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
I got an 80gb one and it turned out to be one of those 80gb ones that aren't backwards compatible.XKing2
Maybe you should have done your research before buying ;) Things don't just 'turn out' like that if you know what you're buying. I bought my BC 80GB PS3 a few months after they stopped making them because I made sure to do the research and look into what into was buying to make sure I was getting a BC model. As for your main question, there's really no timetable. They just kinda add them at random. They added a bunch when the service launched, then went months without adding anything, but all of a sudden they started adding games again so who knows when games are going to get added. I think it's more up to the publishers if/when to release their games. Like for example, it was Atlus that released P3F, not Sony so presumably it would be up to Atlus to release any further games from them. Sadly for you, P4 would likely be their next release if they add anything and past that who knows. Hope they do add more though since Atlus did have some fantastic games for the PS2. P3 and P4 were both amazing, Nocturne was great, and once I finish my replay of P3 I'm getting into Digital Devil Saga so I'm looking forward to that. [QUOTE="4dr1el"]Fairly speaking PS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all other consoles in existence

Yeah this guy pretty much hit it spot on so its just not fair to compare the PS3's library to that :P
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

PS2 is not greater than PS3. PS3 is 35 times the processing power, is HD, has a better online service, a built in HD, and has wireless controllers. Now there is a bigger PS2 game library, however the HD quality of PS3 pawns them.

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

iv enjoyed the ps3 more than i did the ps2. i also liked the ps1 better than the ps2 as well. supose im in the minority

gta_gamer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 gta_gamer10
Member since 2009 • 432 Posts

Very misleading topic title.

I'll add my 10 pence while I'm here though so... PS3 > Every other console. Boom.

Venom_Raptor

Easily agree with this.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I'm a bit surprised at so much love for the PS2, and a lack of respect for the PS3. Maybe it just needs more time, but this generation consoles took gaming SO MUCH further than the PS2. Game for Game, both have solid libaries, but some PS3 have backwards compatibility. On top of that, A LOT of PS2 games have been released with HD Graphics on PS3. The graphics between 2 and 3 are night and day alone. On top of that, throw in Online gaming. Online gaming is bigger than ever thanks to the current generation consoles. PSN with classics and Indy games. Throw in Motion controllers. Love it or hate it, PS2 didn't offer it. So in closing, with the games, graphics, online features, and creativity i really don't understand how people can say PS2 is better than PS3. Yes there may be some games GTA VC better than GTA 4. But does PS2 really have anything that matches up with MGS 4, KZ 2+3, Uncharted 1-3, Infamous 1+2, Assassians Creed, Call of Duty games, Skyrim, Batman Arkham Series, Mass Effect, God Of War, and so much. I'm into fighting games, Look at Mortal Kombat 9, Street Figther 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Tekken 6, PS2 didn't have anything near that caliber. Genre by Genre, PS3 wins. I'm just looking for some logical reason how PS2 is better?

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Games on the PS2 cost $3 - $5 million to develop. Those costs had risen to over $20 million - on average - by 2010. That's where your variety and niche titles went to. They don't sell enough copies to break even these days.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Sony adding games to the Playstation 2 classics section on PSN. Very rarely

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I pretty much skipped last gen due to buying a PC 4 months after buying my PS2. Got the PC and ignored the PS2. Got a PS3 to go with my PC and I am loving it. All the games that matter from last gen seem to be getting remastered releases for PS3, so I am all good with skipping last gen on consoles.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9022 Posts
PS3>>PS2 for me
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I pretty much skipped last gen due to buying a PC 4 months after buying my PS2. Got the PC and ignored the PS2. Got a PS3 to go with my PC and I am loving it. All the games that matter from last gen seem to be getting remastered releases for PS3, so I am all good with skipping last gen on consoles.AmazonTreeBoa

This. The PS2 was pretty much undisputed console of its time. It didn't have a major challenger so the games sprouted rapidly. The focus was there.

Coming from someone who owned the Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox all at the same time. The PS2 was easily the best. The other consoles were forgettable, had crappy games except for some really great Dreamcast ones of course but sadly the PS2 plummetted Dreamcast sales (one of my favorite consoles). The Xbox, well I only purchased Halo just for that, which I thought was great. PS2, again, really brought the thunder in so many ways.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
I grew up with the PS2, but I prefer my PS3.
MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
True.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I went for pretty much a year or two without really touching my PS2. In fact at one point I had it sitting boxed up in storage. I only drug it out again to play the two 'God of War' games before getting the PS3.