other than MGS looking beautiful how do we feel about it being open world?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigcity23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bigcity23
Member since 2012 • 91 Posts

idk im skeptical about how it will be done

pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pickettsticket
Member since 2012 • 193 Posts

well all I am gonna say is it had some great red dead style gameplay, with the MGS stealth and story I am sold and have insane expectations

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The openess of the next Metal Gear is what makes it the first Metal Gear I'm interested in actually.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I can't wait. When I heard it was open world, I was immediately sold.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Probably going to be the best game of all time anyway.  Will buy. 

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I can't wait. When I heard it was open world, I was immediately sold.

marcheegsr

same here it looks very nice.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
I think it was a smart decision and will really revitalize the series. Switching the formula and making it open world definitely got me interested in playing a Metal Gear Solid game again. Though, it also raised some questions and concerns, like just how 'open' the world will truly be, the size of the world, and whether or not they'll pack in optional side missions, random world events, and additional things to do out in the open world. If they can combine MGS with some Just Cause 2 and a smidgen of Red Dead Redemption, pulling all the best elements from each of those games and melding them into one juggernaut of an open world experience...hell, yeah, that's a game I want to play.
gangstafc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 gangstafc
Member since 2009 • 228 Posts
the best idea ever. Now I hope that ff15 open world too.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
I find it an interesting choice. MGS is by far the best stealth series, so i'm excited to see how well they can get that to work in an open world game. I have faith they can pull it off. I just hope they tone down the cut scene length in this one.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

well all I am gonna say is it had some great red dead style gameplay, with the MGS stealth and story I am sold and have insane expectations

pickettsticket
well put.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

looks amazing in every aspect.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

I hate open world. Hate GTA, Skyrim, everything. But MGS... I think this may be the first game to do it right. And even if it doesn't, damn it's pretty.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts
I am digging the idea. Love the series so I think they will deliver. This is one multiplat I will get for the Ps4 as I have so many fond memories of playing the MGS on the playstations. One of my most anticipated games.
soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts
This is the best thing to happen to MGS since the arrival of 3d graphics. All the terrific stealth/action gameplay will be expanded as the world grows. I loved the bit in the demo when he used his horse as a way of hiding from the enemy. Just perfect.
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pickettsticket
Member since 2012 • 193 Posts

This is the best thing to happen to MGS since the arrival of 3d graphics. All the terrific stealth/action gameplay will be expanded as the world grows. I loved the bit in the demo when he used his horse as a way of hiding from the enemy. Just perfect. soul_starter

and not to mention the amazingly smooth diving for cover motions

northypoley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 northypoley
Member since 2003 • 1672 Posts
What made the previous MGS games so great in my opinion are the stealth and story elements, but they were done so in a very deliberate and controlled manner. Having an open world would be a great challenge to that I think. But Kojima's track record has been great with the series, so I have great hopes for it.
Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#17 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1583 Posts
i'm looking forward to it :), although i wish David was still playing the voice of snake :(
pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

i dont know about mgs. back in the day i enjoyed mgs1 and 3 but hated 4 and im not looking forward to  5 at all im more interested in splinter cell.

im glad it is now multiplat so when people critized it no one can claim its an attack because its exclusive.

mgs is too slow paced boring and has more videos than gameplay. splinter cell looked is fast paced and alot of fun imo.

TraXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 TraXxX
Member since 2006 • 1820 Posts

Love the game. but I don't think I'll ever get used to Kiefer's voice as Snake!

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

When I heard it was open world, I thought to myself, wow a universe/setting where the gameplay elements found in games like GTA, Crackdown, RDR would be actually be put to some good use.

I have never been disappointed by a Metal Gear game. Truly one of the best franchises in gaming.

Poinciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Poinciana
Member since 2012 • 56 Posts

MGS is taking a hugh risk by trying to appeal to the mass market. The mistake that many games have made in this generation. It will still sell millions of copies just because of it's name, but I fear it will have the backlash of Diablo 3, Dragon Age 2, Dead Space 3 and Mass Effect 3. I can see retailers dropping the price of new MGS 5 copies to $40 after two months and then to $30 by it's fifth or sixth month do to the hugh amount of trade-ins.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 soul_starter

When I heard it was open world, I thought to myself, wow a universe/setting where the gameplay elements found in games like GTA, Crackdown, RDR would be actually be put to some good use.

I have never been disappointed by a Metal Gear game. Truly one of the best franchises in gaming.

Lach0121
Totally agree, other than GTA, no other game series exudes so much quality and always delivers upon promises. And yes, I've included Mario and Zelda in my analysis.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
What made the previous MGS games so great in my opinion are the stealth and story elements, but they were done so in a very deliberate and controlled manner. Having an open world would be a great challenge to that I think. But Kojima's track record has been great with the series, so I have great hopes for it. northypoley
This is exactly what I was thinking. There is a reason this has never really been done before. Deus Ex and Dishonored both had semi-open world stealth elements but they were in smaller more controlled environments. I don't see how you could make an open world stealth game other than "drive to this area, then stealth around it to complete the objective." I really hope it's something more than just an open world with specified areas where you can stealth. Idk how, but if Kojima can pull it off, it will be amazing. Regardless this game will have so much hype it'll be hard to match.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Hopefully it turns out well. It looks great, but I get bored very very easily by most open-world games.
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6853 Posts

Looked very RDR-ish. Which is a good thing.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I trust Kojima's vision and look forward to experiencing an open world MGS. I do hope it brings back the feel of MGS1 though which is still my favorite of the franchise.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

trust me the open world will make it better.  its what made deus ex so good.  having different ways to approach a mission, not simply straight forward

kingoflife9

I just downloaded Deus Ex HR and am having a blast. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not playing it sooner.

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

MGS is taking a hugh risk by trying to appeal to the mass market. The mistake that many games have made in this generation. It will still sell millions of copies just because of it's name, but I fear it will have the backlash of Diablo 3, Dragon Age 2, Dead Space 3 and Mass Effect 3. I can see retailers dropping the price of new MGS 5 copies to $40 after two months and then to $30 by it's fifth or sixth month do to the hugh amount of trade-ins.

Poinciana

They aren't taking a risk at all. This series has always seen a significant progression in gameplay. That was evident in the different acts in MGS 4. Compare the first two levels of gameplay to the throwback level where you return to Shadow Moses.

Avatar image for SelenaMGomezFan
SelenaMGomezFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 SelenaMGomezFan
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I'm actually really excited to see how it pans out. It looks amazing, and the depth of the open world approach and opend ended style to missions and how you play them really seems cool. I'm curious about the realistic passage of time, I'm curious as to whether or not that means a legit 24 hour day cycle or not. Either way, the new MGS game looks amazing and I have nothing but high hopes for it. ^^

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

soul_starter

Totally agree, other than GTA, no other game series exudes so much quality and always delivers upon promises. And yes, I've included Mario and Zelda in my analysis.

I cannot agree on the Zelda, and Mario statements. Quality is one thing that isn't lacking from the games I have played of those franchises.  Most of them have been great, especially for some of their time periods of release.

However, utilizing an open world environment/setting/theme etc, then I would agree they are not the best examples. Neither is GTA. 

This MGS is probably the first open world SETTING I have been really excited about, that I know about.

I would love an Open world Blade Runner. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

mostly hoping its less of a movie and more of a game unlike tha last one

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#35 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

It makes me interested in the possiblities the gam has to offer and with Big Boss taking center stage as well.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 soul_starter

[QUOTE="soul_starter"][QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Lach0121

I cannot agree on the Zelda, and Mario statements. Quality is one thing that isn't lacking from the games I have played of those franchises.  Most of them have been great, especially for some of their time periods of release.

However, utilizing an open world environment/setting/theme etc, then I would agree they are not the best examples. Neither is GTA. 

This MGS is probably the first open world SETTING I have been really excited about, that I know about.

You don't believe GTA is the best example of open world? Really? GTA III never excited you? Did it nor revolutionise gaming, Has there not been a bigger, better, more well though out and playable sequel each time? RDR was another open world game which was made so well.
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

This will not be an open world game in the same sense that something like GTA V or inFamous is. In terms of gameplay mechanics, I suspect that the map will offer some freedom in terms of which missions can be chosen at what point, with some exploration and optional opportunities in between. In terms of the main story missions though, they will take place in more controlled areas to enable things like guards raising alarms and whatnot.

I'm thinking that the main map will act as a bridge of sorts, linking more restricted and enclosed locations. That would obviously depend on the mission though. Regardless of how they do it, this will be the best game EVER!

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts

idk im skeptical about how it will be done

bigcity23
I am not liking the idea of an open world MGS at all... I always hated sand box games and MGS was the one game I truly love b/c of its linear story line and game play. BUT I have faith in Kojima so we will see. For now, I am Not sold on open world cuz that desert/jungle scene in the beginning reminded me too much of Far Cry 2, and I absolutely HATED that game cuz all you did was walk miles and miles and miles to do nothing!
4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
never been a fan of open world gaming but I'll reserve judgment till I see it.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
To be honest, i felt so bad about hideo changing David Hayter that the trailer didnt do much to me. Seriously, i played mgs 1 on the ps1 for the first time when i was 11 and now i m 23 and i had been a huge mgs fan since then. But the trailers shown arent doing anything to me, maybe i grew out of games or maybe i m tired of mgs.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="soul_starter"] Totally agree, other than GTA, no other game series exudes so much quality and always delivers upon promises. And yes, I've included Mario and Zelda in my analysis. soul_starter

You don't believe GTA is the best example of open world? Really? GTA III never excited you? Did it nor revolutionise gaming, Has there not been a bigger, better, more well though out and playable sequel each time? RDR was another open world game which was made so well.

Please try to understand what was typed.  

I said not the best example of SETTING/THEME.   And I still don't....  The setting of all of them was atrocious imo, worst of them all was San Andreas. That setting/theme of the games is not the best to have an open world game in.  There can be much better game SETTING/THEMES than the limited mentality of the gang/bang & mafia cliche's.

It (GTA) is the franchise that should be pointed to when giving a best examples of open world games. I am not arguing that, however when it comes to setting/theme, its extremely lackluster!  RDR isn't much better, I don't care for westerns.

Also, No I didn't get excited about GTA III, it was clunky gameplay (especially on consoles), and I felt it over-rated even then. However, the new one GTA V looks decent. Gameplay not near as clunky looking, and I plan to give it a go at some point.Â