Kitty_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Kitty_K
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

A little old (in our 50s) and not gamers, but we spent $800 on a PS4 with VR. Both of us have a little difficulty using the PS4. I'm not sure if our coordination is bad or what. Not familiar with the controllers (almost like learning to type). There are so many controls to learn for games now days. Husbands eyes get sore quickly even without using VR. Bought it because we were curious about it. Not looking to get rid of the system, but don't want it to collect dust.

-Background experience and current experience:

Husband played a few games at arcades back in the day. On a rare occasion in 1997 we both tried to play Mario Kart 64 with our son when he was younger (I kind of liked playing it). Lately I have found myself playing Bejeweled on my smartphone (it's simple and addictive). I downloaded and played Tetris Ultimate on the PS4 (Tetris is kind of fun). Husband tries to use the PS4 for Rocksmith when he has time, because of interest in learning guitar. For other TV based entertainment we already use a Roku device for things like Hulu and Netflix. We also watch movies using our Blue-ray player.

The PS4 is a powerful machine and only using it once every few weeks for a simple game like Tetris seems like a waste. I don't know if we can handle extreme games. It's easier to just pick up my smartphone and play Bejeweled. I fear we might be loosing interest in the PS4, because of this and the other troubles previously mentioned above.

Any opinions on how we could get more out of this PS4 investment would be appreciated. I would like to keep it.

Thank you to all who contribute.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I would check out a variety of indie games - Flower, Journey, Abzu, Unfinished Swan. These have very simple controls, and are very touching games as well. Probably a great starting point for people who don't want or need a ton of complexity in game mechanics. If you want something a bit more challenging, there are games like Child of Light and Axiom Verge - these will have fairly straightforward controls but offer greater gameplay challenges.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Well, if you like Tv series, you might want to check out the Telltale Games. There are many games from them already including IPs like The walking dead or Game of thrones. The good thing: It's doable by everyone: It's all about solving (easy) puzzles and making a lot of choices during the (usually good) story. While playing those games you might be able to get used to the controls. The genre has some interessting titles outside of the Telltale titles as well, like Beyond: Two Souls.

I think starting by rather easy games, you can get forward step by step. Racing games are usually pretty simple as well (like, for example, need for speed) and maybe some platformers (check out Little Big planet and Yooka-Laylee)

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@kitty_k: i think it's awesome you've bought a ps4 with vr willingly. i've had to buy my mum an ipad, various smart phones, a chromecast etc to force her to use technology and she treats them as though they're some cursed tools of the devil. i'd love her to just attempt to play a game on her phone. she's just about getting the hang of watsapp.

anyway, i think @xantufrog and @ArchoNils2 make good suggestions for games to start off with. i like the idea of starting with tv adaptations like the walking dead and game of thrones as they'll be familiar / recognisable whilst being relatively simple to play.

but i also think you should go for one of the big guns and grab grand theft auto 5 for the hell of it, just to experience what's probably the biggest selling ps4 game ever. the game starts with you stealing a car (surprise surprise) so you can just drive around the map at your leisure, which means you can take your time getting used to the controls and how the game works. just dipping in and out of it over a few weeks will get you slowly used to playing something more typical of the average ps4 game. then when you're ready you can start the story - and that's when the real fun begins.

oh and once you're well acquainted with your ps4 you absolutely need to pick up resident evil 7 and get your husband to play it with vr. then you can laugh at him jumping out of his skin as he plays :)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@kitty_k: Assuming you have 2 controllers, 2 very simple but great couch co-op games are Overcooked and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (free next month on PS+), they literally have 2 buttons for everything.

Bonus tip, Overcooked doesn't even require 2 controllers for 2 people, 1 controller can be shared between 2, how great is that!!!

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 wildhoney66
Member since 2008 • 324 Posts

here's a few, i dunno how good you are at games but the batman games are fun but those can get pretty hard. Ratchet and clank is fun. you also may like the Lego ones as well. Tetris is one i do need to get for my PS4. on the batman games though you can change your settings to easy cause that's what i put mine on cause i may love video games but i'm no expert. my mom used to play with me when i was growing up but with arthritis in her hands now it's hard for her to play now. and i don't have a 2nd controller for my PS4 anyways.

i dunno if she'd like Grand theft auto though it's pretty graphic, with the swearing and the sex in it that series may not be everyone's cup of tea to use an old saying. here's a tip though if you buy batman for example go onto you tube and type in walkthrough and you can listen to it with commentary normally or without it. if you get stuck those really helpful. i'm old fashioned i still buy the strategy guides but those for some things aren't helpful cause i like to see what they mean in action so that's also why it's great that people upload walkthrough's on you tube. my mom has a kindle and an ipad she loves her games but hasn't played on any of my video games systems for a number of years. and yes the controller's can be pretty confusing at first. here's what i did when i bought my PS2 in (2009) i dunno if

this game is on the PS4 to be fair but i bought a crossword puzzle game for it. 1. because i love doing those every now and than & 2. i learned pretty fast on how to use the controls buy doing it that way. when i felt i was starting to figure out the controls than i started buying games that required me to get actually use them in a fight like when Ghostbusters came out back than. how do you like the VR? i hear if you get sea sick if you use the VR from the motion the best way to handle that is to take motion sickness pills or whatever those are called? that can help you. i don't own a VR but i'd like to try one out at some point.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Just to name a few. First is pretty much car soccer that has a lot of depth to get great but still is fun either way. Second is a physics based co op platformer. Third is a very emotional game about war that has simple gameplay but is very charming and has a lot of cool things to it. The 4th game has gameplay in the video to judge it by.

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 wildhoney66
Member since 2008 • 324 Posts

what's also nice that i forgot to mention i think? is that there are different modes on most games. meaning if you set it on easy the game you may depending on the game end up beating it depending on what kind of gamer you are. but if you put it on difficult you are going to have one HELL of a hard ass game than. i normally keepit on easy cause that's the type of gamer i am. many on here i have a feeling don't do that but to each their own i guess ya know?