Opening downloaded save files from an SD card.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NextStopEarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NextStopEarth
Member since 2004 • 241 Posts
I downloaded some save files of Indigo prophecy for playstation to because I have a playstation 3 and that game freezes at a certain point but when I save the files(from gamefaqs) and try to open them on my ps3, it doesn't recognize any of them. They are saved with different extensions...which is wierd(.cbs, .max, and .xps). Does anybody know how to open these or what my problem is?
ogie_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ogie_s
Member since 2003 • 218 Posts
Your problem is that those are formatted for specific transfer devices like the Max Drive, Xport, etc. The only way you can use them on a PS3 is to figure out which device it uses, download it to that if you have it, transfer it to a regular memory card on a PS2 then use the memory card to upload it to the PS3. That's the only way downloaded save files can be used - read the info at the site you got the save from - it should say which device it's intended for.
NextStopEarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NextStopEarth
Member since 2004 • 241 Posts
ahhh, damn thanks. Do you know any place that might have just the normal save file?
Segitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Segitz
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts
There *IS* a possiblity to do that, yet I havent had a chance to try it. I have the PS2 Network adapter, which allows me (thru the exploit) to start an ftp server on my PS2. That way, I can directly copy and paste stuff unto the memory card. Since the PS3s harddrive is simply SATA, it should be connectable to a PC. I dont know, what FS the PS3 uses, but if not already, there will be a way to read an write unto the drive in a readable format. Or you just copy the save game (just like with the psp) unto a memory stick and plug it into the PS3. Maybe it eats them... I cant tell.
ogie_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ogie_s
Member since 2003 • 218 Posts

There *IS* a possiblity to do that, yet I havent had a chance to try it. I have the PS2 Network adapter, which allows me (thru the exploit) to start an ftp server on my PS2. That way, I can directly copy and paste stuff unto the memory card. Since the PS3s harddrive is simply SATA, it should be connectable to a PC. I dont know, what FS the PS3 uses, but if not already, there will be a way to read an write unto the drive in a readable format. Or you just copy the save game (just like with the psp) unto a memory stick and plug it into the PS3. Maybe it eats them... I cant tell.Segitz

Even if you could directly access the PS2 memory card or the PS3 HD the problem is that the files he downloaded are not in a format recognizable by the PS2 or PS3 as a save. They're in a proprietary format unique to the software used by the save transfer device that was used to upload the save. Copying the file is easy but getting the PS3 to recognize it is the problem - you have to have the same device the file is formatted for to transfer to a PS2 memory card then upload it to the PS3. The PS3's own file format for PS1/2 saves is different from the MaxDrive, Xport, etc formats.