Open world games that AREN'T fantasy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

So far the only one I know of is Tomb Raider.  Are there any other open world games that aren't fantasy? 

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

The Saboteur I suppose.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Just Cause 2
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
Just Cause 2MonsieurX
GTAIV and Saints Row as well too, now that I think about it
KiriharaZro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KiriharaZro
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts
None, all games are fantasy.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
depends on what you mean by fantasy? all games are fantasy so none I guess. If you think that Tomb Raider is the only one then you are well uninformed or we dont know what you want.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

On PS3 specifically, Infamous 1 and 2 are obvious choices. Also any "GTA clone" like Saints Row (already mentioned) or Sleeping Dogs. All of the Assassin's Creed games, too, although there are sci-fi elements to that universe. I assume that by "fantasy" you mean orcs, swords, spells, and medieval elements.

-Byshop

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

None, all games are fantasy.KiriharaZro

^ *WHAM*

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Far Cry 3.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So far the only one I know of is Tomb Raider.  Are there any other open world games that aren't fantasy? 

Essian
Tomb Raider is fantasy, Far Cry is more in the realism genre
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
I'd consider Saints Row 3 fantasy. In what other universe would you get away killing old ladies with a four foot purple dong while dressed like a fox?
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Fallout 3 and NV. No fantasy there.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MethodManFTW
Borderlands 2
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
pretty much every open world game? Unless you mean something else with 'fantasy'
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MethodManFTW
Need 4 Speed Most Wanted, Burnout Paradise.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Wait... Tomb Raider is considered open world? What?
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Wait... Tomb Raider is considered open world? What?The-Apostle
Can you fast travel...so I guess it is in a way.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Wait... Tomb Raider is considered open world? What?ShadowsDemon

Although the story progression is extremely linear, at certain points the game allows you to backtrack to previously visited areas in order to find all the tombs/collectables.

Oh, the Dead Island games are open world as well, but again assuming that "fantasy" = D&D-style games.

-Byshop

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Tomb Raider

Far Cry 3

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned Mafia 2 yet. Also, I've never played them, but I'm pretty sure the Godfather games are open world as well.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Fallout 3 and NV. No fantasy there.ShadowsDemon

These are my answers.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Wait... Tomb Raider is considered open world? What?Byshop

Although the story progression is extremely linear, at certain points the game allows you to backtrack to previously visited areas in order to find all the tombs/collectables.

Oh, the Dead Island games are open world as well, but again assuming that "fantasy" = D&D-style games.

-Byshop

I wouldn't even class the sections as really that open at all, more like a level than an open world map. so if the TC is classing tomb raider as open world i'm stuck lol

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator

I wouldn't even class the sections as really that open at all, more like a level than an open world map. so if the TC is classing tomb raider as open world i'm stuck lol

bezza2011

I agree. TR isn't a particularly open world game. The other games mentioned in this thread are much better examples.

-Byshop

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MonkeySpot

Surprised no one has mentioned Mafia 2 yet. Also, I've never played them, but I'm pretty sure the Godfather games are open world as well.

firefox59

"MAFIA II" is technically 'open-world', however, outside the story and finding Playboy magazine covers, there's nothing to do or accomplish aside from driving around... I love that game, don't get me wrong, but that's definitely not what TC is looking for. "Red-Dead", "Saint's Row I & II", "Just Cause 2", where there's actual reason to while away your time in the world, without it being Sword & Sorcery, is what the thread is all about...

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

MonkeySpot

"MAFIA II" is technically 'open-world', however, outside the story and finding Playboy magazine covers, there's nothing to do or accomplish aside from driving around... I love that game, don't get me wrong, but that's definitely not what TC is looking for.

You read my mind, Monkey! I was just about to post the same thing concerning Mafia II :cool:
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
Yakuza series.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#27 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Sleeping Dogs. Arkham City.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

MonkeySpot

"MAFIA II" is technically 'open-world', however, outside the story and finding Playboy magazine covers, there's nothing to do or accomplish aside from driving around... I love that game, don't get me wrong, but that's definitely not what TC is looking for. "Red-Dead", "Saint's Row I & II", "Just Cause 2", where there's actual reason to while away your time in the world, without it being Sword & Sorcery, is what the thread is all about...

That's a fair response. I was just thinking that if Tomb Raider and some of these other games are being considered open world then Mafia 2 definitely is. And just like how GTA 3 was for me, I had quite a bit of fun going on rampages against the cops in Mafia 2 outside of the main plot-line. Also I would group the Saints Row games with the Crackdown and Prototype games as an extremely non-realistic and henceforth "fantasy" type game. That's how I interpreted OP's idea anyways.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sukraj

Sleeping Dogs. Arkham City.Blabadon

no love for far cry 3 imo.

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
Blood Dragon!
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

firefox59

That's a fair response. I was just thinking that if Tomb Raider and some of these other games are being considered open world then Mafia 2 definitely is. And just like how GTA 3 was for me, I had quite a bit of fun going on rampages against the cops in Mafia 2 outside of the main plot-line. Also I would group the Saints Row games with the Crackdown and Prototype games as an extremely non-realistic and henceforth "fantasy" type game. That's how I interpreted OP's idea anyways.

Finding the magazine covers is a lot of fun, in "MAFIA II" - Brings back memories for an old fart like me... And though there are unrealistic elements to "Saint's Row 2", like the dookie-cannon and stuff, it doesn't hit the unrealistic heights of say, the third game... So I place it more with GTA games than I do in Fantasy/SciFi... I think we agree, it's essentially "Crime Fantasy"... Potato, Po-Tah-to...

:D

SR2 is just FUN. So is "Just Cause 2". Any game where you can steal military aircraft and buzz under bridges is a great game!!! When I found that first airport, and I stole a commercial jet, I was in LOVE... Then, I found the propane-tank rocket-ride trick ("Hey, I wonder if I can hop a ride on these things with the grappling hook?" - WEEEEEE!!!!)... Man, I gotta knock the dust off that disc soon, it's been too long!

:lol:

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

Sleeping dogs, assassins creed games (although they kinda suck). Just Cause 2 is boring and repetitive, perfect example of quantity over quality

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#33 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Well, every game is technically fantasy...

Fallout 3/New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption, The Saboteur, Dead Island, GTA, Just Cause...there are many.

OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

I've just started Red Faction Guerilla......great fun.Its a bit like GTA on Mars.

lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

I don't know if people know this game. But Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon is pretty fun.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

So far the only one I know of is Tomb Raider.

Essian

Tomb Raider isn't open world.

lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

Also people seem to forget the GTA series.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

That's a fair response. I was just thinking that if Tomb Raider and some of these other games are being considered open world then Mafia 2 definitely is. And just like how GTA 3 was for me, I had quite a bit of fun going on rampages against the cops in Mafia 2 outside of the main plot-line. Also I would group the Saints Row games with the Crackdown and Prototype games as an extremely non-realistic and henceforth "fantasy" type game. That's how I interpreted OP's idea anyways.MonkeySpot

Finding the magazine covers is a lot of fun, in "MAFIA II" - Brings back memories for an old fart like me... And though there are unrealistic elements to "Saint's Row 2", like the dookie-cannon and stuff, it doesn't hit the unrealistic heights of say, the third game... So I place it more with GTA games than I do in Fantasy/SciFi... I think we agree, it's essentially "Crime Fantasy"... Potato, Po-Tah-to...

SR2 is just FUN. So is "Just Cause 2". Any game where you can steal military aircraft and buzz under bridges is a great game!!! When I found that first airport, and I stole a commercial jet, I was in LOVE... Then, I found the propane-tank rocket-ride trick ("Hey, I wonder if I can hop a ride on these things with the grappling hook?" - WEEEEEE!!!!)... Man, I gotta knock the dust off that disc soon, it's been too long!

I didn't even see that you were talking about the first two Saints Row games lol (never even played em). I guess I just assumed 3 cause it's the only one I've played.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sukraj

[QUOTE="Essian"]

Pffrbt

semi open world

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="Essian"]

sukraj

semi open world

No not really.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

That's a fair response. I was just thinking that if Tomb Raider and some of these other games are being considered open world then Mafia 2 definitely is. And just like how GTA 3 was for me, I had quite a bit of fun going on rampages against the cops in Mafia 2 outside of the main plot-line. Also I would group the Saints Row games with the Crackdown and Prototype games as an extremely non-realistic and henceforth "fantasy" type game. That's how I interpreted OP's idea anyways.firefox59

I didn't even see that you were talking about the first two Saints Row games lol (never even played em). I guess I just assumed 3 cause it's the only one I've played.

We-Cool.

If you haven't played the 2nd game and you do like GTA/Crime games, I definitely suggest it... And you could pick it up for almost free, now, I'm certain.

:)

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kravyn81
SR2>SR1>SR3
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MonkeySpot

SR2>SR1>SR3Kravyn81

Haven't played SR3 yet, but my knee-jerk reaction is to agree with your assessment... It looks too... Too... What's the word? "Silly". I know that sounds dumb when discussing the series, because it's not rooted in reality ala GTAIV, where they went to the heavily "real" side... But I dunno. It's like they took the wackiness of the second game a step too far (for my tastes, I respect folks who liked it).

;)

I'm an SR2 fan. Never in a million years thought I would like it (historically a GTA player), but when I got into it I was all about it and never want to play GTA again for that sort of experience.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kravyn81

[QUOTE="Kravyn81"]SR2>SR1>SR3MonkeySpot

Haven't played SR3 yet, but my knee-jerk reaction is to agree with your assessment... It looks too... Too... What's the word? "Silly". I know that sounds dumb when discussing the series, because it's not rooted in reality ala GTAIV, where they went to the heavily "real" side... But I dunno. It's like they took the wackiness of the second game a step too far (for my tastes, I respect folks who liked it).

;)

I'm an SR2 fan. Never in a million years thought I would like it (historically a GTA player), but when I got into it I was all about it and never want to play GTA again for that sort of experience.

Actually, describing it as "silly" isn't too far off, really. The game definitely is the poster child for quantity over quality, and in my humble user review I wrote for the site here I described it as all flash and no substance. It's just so over-the-top compared to the first two that it's hard to believe it's even related to the first two at all since they were more "serious" with the whole gang rising up from the streets archetype. It is a "silly" game when you look back even at its own roots and not even have to worry about GTA at all.

Meh. I'd highly recommend renting it if you're that curious because once I got the platinum for it I had this overwhelming feeling to never want to play it again! ;)