Open World Game Suggestions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ThaddeusMF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ThaddeusMF
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Even though I played a lot of video games when I was a kid (atari, nintendo, super nintendo) I never played much as an adult until I got out of the army in 2005 and finally had some time to play the PS2 I bought in 2001. I went and got a game called mafia and after beating that game I didn't play much else. Well about a year ago my girlfriend and her two boys, ages 8 and 10, moved in with me and one day we went to get them some games. While we were at gamestop I remembered how much I liked Mafia, so I picked up Godfather in hopes that it would be similar. I was hooked right away. After beating Godfather I got Scarface, then San Andreas (My favorite), then Vice City, then we got a PS3 and I got Red Dead Redemption, Mafia 2, Godfather 2 (biggest disappointment EVER!), GTA 4 and just the other day I got Saints Row the Third. I'm having a lot of fun with Saints Row 3. Is there any other games anyone can suggest either on PS2 or PS3?
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

The Saboteur

Sleeping dogs

Just cause 2

Infamous 1 and 2

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
Just Cause 2 is amazing.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Infamous, Fallout 3, The Saboteur, and possibly Yakuza 4 (really fun game but might not be what you're looking for).

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
This game gets recommended so much, with so much praise, yet somehow still goes unnoticed on these forums. Buy Sleeping Dogs. It's cheap, but it does everything it wants to do well, and then some. Great setting, great story, guaranteed fun.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

far cry 3

tomb raider

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
the Saboteur looks good,it has some great visuals in there
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

On the PS2 I really loved Drakan:  The Ancient Gates.  Open-world action/RPG (pretty light on the RPG aspects, just buying weapons and spells), with a beautiful world and you even get to fly around on a dragon. 

On the PS3 my favorite open world games are Skyrim, Fallout 3, The Saboteur and Nier.

csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

I highly recommend Sleeping Dogs. It's cheap, great visuals, great story as mentioned above and also the combat is extremely fun

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

The Assassins Creed games, start with 2. (Don't know how no one's mentioned these yet)

Sleeping Dogs, GTA in Hong Kong, amazing game. 

The Saboteur

Skyrim

Oblivion

Batman Arkham City is open although on a much smaller scale. Arkham Asylum as well.

Far Cry 3

Far Cry 2 although it sucks. 

Just Cause 2 which people seem to love but I thought it was pretty heh.

Fallout 3

Dragons Dogma

The Amazing Spiderman

Few RPG's and/or other games with elements of an open world (Sections of smaller open worlds)

Deus Ex: HR, Mass Effect series, Dragon age Origins, Dark Souls, Dishonored. 

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed 3, Skyrim, and I am really interested in checking out Defiance. Its and MMO, but its open world too.
sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts
inFamous 1 & 2 Assassin's Creed 2
Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
Check out the Saints Row franchise, my favorite open world franchise by far.
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

Sandbox wise, you can't do better than Saints 2 imo (3 was bleh), though I hear Just Cause 2 is pretty great as well.

Open world period? Fallout: New Vegas is one of my favorite games of all time, as long as you don't mind it being an RPG. I also really, really enjoyed Prototype 2, pure fun.

ThaddeusMF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ThaddeusMF
Thanks for all the responses. I've checked most of them on youtube and from what I've seen I want them all, but since I only get one or two at a time I think I'm going to go with Saints Row 2 and Sleeping Dogs. I've always been drawn to Sleeping Dogs but the worker at gamestop told me that there isn't much shooting in it and that the combat is mostly hand to hand and that's why I've avoided it.
ThaddeusMF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ThaddeusMF
I was wondering if anyone else thought Godfather 2 was terrible. I can't explain how disappointed I was with that game. I loved Godfather 1 and was really looking forward to a game similar to that. It was awesome how they put your character in so many of the scenes from The Godfather movie. Like how you were outside the window when Lucca Brasi was murdered, how you planted the weapon that Michael retrieved in the bathroom of the restaurant he shot the police captain and Solatzo in etc. Even though they did that in Godfather 2, it just didn't feel right. IMO Godfather 2 was just AWFUL. Was I expecting too much or is my assessment shared by anyone here?
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#17 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
Just Cause 2, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs. I promise you that these games will keep you occupied and highly entertained.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#18 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Assassins Creed 2

Red Dead Redemption

InFamous 1 and 2

GTA4

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#19 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
I actually didn't finish Sleeping Dogs due it being a Redbox rental for me, but the shooting's there as well as the hand-to-hand combat. It's handled extremely well, especially with its slo-mo. I would highly recommend it over other games (again, I know).
koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Infamous 2 can practically last you forever once you get hooked on the mission creator, I still play it from time to time creating random stuff and trying out interesting platforming missions and such. Be sure to buy the collection though since its got a pretty decent story that basically begins in the first one and ends in the second one. Just Cause 2 is also one of the most fun sandbox games I have ever played, its got an absolutely massive world to get lost in and there's tons of creative (and very destructive) fun to be had. Hell the game practically defines "sandbox" what with all the crazy things you can do; like stealing a plane in mid air or attaching a guy to a helicopter that's currently flying away and so on.
ThaddeusMF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ThaddeusMF
The local GameStop has Saints Row 2, Sleeping Dogs and Infamous 2, so I'll get those. I'll eventually get all the games suggested in this thread, just not at once even though I wish I could afford to get them all tomorrow. I'm a student now so money is tighter than ever. I just finished Saints Row 3's main story line and I have little interest in what the rest of the game has to offer. I know it's a touchy issue with some people to say this, but I'll say it anyway, Saints Row 3 seemed like an over the top ripoff of San Andreas. I don't see that as a bad thing though. I love the fact that I have some other things to play while waiting for GTA 5. I consider the GTA series the best in open world games. From what I've read Saints Row 2 is even more like San Andreas than SR the Third is, so I'm looking forward to it. I guess nobody has any opinion of Godfather 2. I was really hoping to get some feedback on that game. I'll say it again, I can't express what a let down that game was for me. I looked forward to it for months leading up to my getting a PS3 and after playing it for a few mins I took it out and attempted to play again every couple days but it still sucked, lol. Anyway, thanks again everybody
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#22 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
Get Just Cause 2.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#23 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
GTA 4, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Borderlands 1 & 2
locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1560 Posts
did u play red dead redemption, undead nightmare? its some dlc worth buying.10$ psn the Infamous, Collection would b something to look into 2 full games n a bonus campaign for the 2ed game under 30$ hard to beat if ur interested in a artsy experience Okami HD is absolutely gorgeous open world game i would highly recommend Okami HD its something different from norm 20$ psn Dark Souls is a open world action rpg it doesn't hold ur hand its a little more challenging than most games nowadays Dark Souls is also different about 20$ Ico and Shadow of the Colossus r both artsy games there some of the most beloved ps2 action adventure game Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection 20$ y do u prefer open world game over linear game is it that they fill more open? is it that there generally longer? the order i would recommend them in is Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare, Okami HD, Infamous Collection, Dark Souls, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection if the reason u like open world game more than linear game because there longer u might want to look at God of War, Saga collection contains 5 games should b about 50hr of gameplay depending on what difficulty u have it on i thought some suggestion other than shooter would b something to look into n u should sync ur psn account if people can c what games u play the suggestion could b better my artsy game suggestion would b something u n ur girl friend children could both enjoy playing particularly Okami there aren't very many games that bridge age gaps
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
Watch Dogs is coming :D