OMG! The VITA battery life is HORRIBLE!

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts
I played uncharted, at max settings, in a full charge, and the battery went out after 3:32 minutes of continuous play. Is it because uncharted GA requires more power to run, or is it this bad?
kindredmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 kindredmachine
Member since 2002 • 2625 Posts

That's normal and also about the life span of the 3DS and PSP GO. Just get the external battery brick... it will give you like 5 more hours of power.

NaturalDisplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NaturalDisplay
Member since 2010 • 548 Posts

What?! Do you mean 3 hours and 30 minutes or 3 minutes and 30 seconds?

kindredmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 kindredmachine
Member since 2002 • 2625 Posts

I was assuming he meant 3.5 hours.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#5 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I have no idea where I would take a handheld system outside of my house. Probably shouldn't play it at work or when I'm driving. Battery Life has never mattered to me. If it did I would just buy the battery pack or use nearby outlets to charge while I play.

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MegaMatt91
Member since 2011 • 462 Posts
I bet its the constant wifi doing it.
CCpotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CCpotter
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

What?! Do you mean 3 hours and 30 minutes or 3 minutes and 30 seconds?

NaturalDisplay

It won't be 3 minutes, that's funny if it lasts only 3 minutes.

Your battery seems having a problem, i can do the same thing with my Vita for about 6 hours when it ger full charged

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
I bet its the constant wifi doing it.MegaMatt91
You could probably turn that off to save battery life. I'd assume that would be possible, otherwise its a silly tactic to get people to buy the battery pack or a better battery. I wouldn't expect the battery life to be more than 4 hours to begin with. I suggest turning down the brightness and sound, maybe use headphones. That would save you more battery power and you could maybe get a extra 30 mins or more out of it.
JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 JNKtastic
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts
Regardless of if this is expected battery life for the Vita or not, you might want to try fully charging and near-to-fully discharging your battery a few times and while you're discharging/using up your battery, make sure you're playing games, listening to music, and fiddling with whatever else you intend to fiddle with on the Vita. Depending on the type of battery that is being used and simply just a matter of the battery not being used to the device yet and how different applications use the battery, sometimes it can take a few full charge and discharge cycles for the battery to reach its 'optimum' and/or 'most stable/accurate' state of holding a charge and distributing it throughout the time the device is being used. My current PSP 3000 had an okay charge out of the box, but when I charged and discharged the battery for a few cycles, the overall battery life improved. Not by a huge amount, no, but it was noticeable all the same.
lordoftheleft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lordoftheleft
Member since 2011 • 151 Posts

That's because the demand for better graphics and technology is growing faster than the rate of actual technological advancement. Sure you can put a more powerful possessors in a hand held, but that will consume more power.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
Actually the Vita has a battery life of around 4:30 at max settings.
pencru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 pencru
Member since 2009 • 1779 Posts

Meh. I rarely ever play with any of the settings besides the lowest and that seems to work. I only crank up brightness when I'm in the car during the day because of glare, but besides that I don't get many problems with battery.

Not even with the 3DS which people complained had a short battery life. Sure it's shorter than the DS but it can do way more.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
Battery issues never mattered to me mainly because I never played more than 2 hours straight on a handheld. Majority of the time i get about 30 mins run. If i want to play for hours on end then i'll be at home playing ps3.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Doesn't really matter to me since I don't usually play games more than 3 hours straight

sf49erssf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sf49erssf
Member since 2004 • 349 Posts

LOL@ everybody that is claiming they have a vita or talk like they're experts on hand held batteries...any who 3 hours of use on 1 charge is more than enough time (and frankly im amazed if it lasts that long considering the power) for most people, most people complaining are gonna be playing this at home anyways...

Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tropicalshower
Member since 2009 • 10813 Posts
Honestly, I don't need more than two hours.
Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts
Guys, the ipad gives us 10 hours! Vita couldnt do that?
ipumpmygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ipumpmygun
Member since 2007 • 456 Posts

Guys, the ipad gives us 10 hours! Vita couldnt do that?Second_Hokage

That's Apple. Stop comparing apples and oranges.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

[QUOTE="Second_Hokage"]Guys, the ipad gives us 10 hours! Vita couldnt do that?ipumpmygun

That's Apple. Stop comparing apples and oranges.

In this case, who will be the Apple and the Orange?
WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

Battery life won't bother me. I play my handhelds mostly at home. What is bothering me about vita is price. But hopefully this time next year the prices will be better and then I will buy one.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

Battery life won't bother me. I play my handhelds mostly at home. What is bothering me about vita is price. But hopefully this time next year the prices will be better and then I will buy one.

WllDan7
The battery should improve by then too.
Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

My fully charged PSP Go will provide me with about 3:30 hours of continuous gaming with brightness set at maximum (that includes use of a bluetooth headset) before the little thingy starts blinking.

Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tropicalshower

The ipad is a lot bigger too, not really a fair comparison.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

WllDan7
What's the point of playing a handheld at home? That's like buying a tent to camp out in your back yard.
Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Tropicalshower

[QUOTE="WllDan7"]

lonewolf604

What's the point of playing a handheld at home? That's like buying a tent to camp out in your back yard.

That made little to no sense, you buy handhelds to play the games you can't get on consoles.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yeah my mobile runs out or noticeably goes down after an hour on Angry Birds... Nothing new there it's just battery technology has fallen behind.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="WllDan7"]

lonewolf604

So it's a requirement to leave the house when i buy a handheld? You're saying my mobile phone is no longer allowed to be used in my own home because it goes against the term "mobile"? You're an idiot....
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
[QUOTE="lonewolf604"][QUOTE="WllDan7"]

JohnF111

So it's a requirement to leave the house when i buy a handheld? You're saying my mobile phone is no longer allowed to be used in my own home because it goes against the term "mobile"? You're an idiot....

I never said it couldn't be used at home, but its a portable device, Who knows, maybe you guys just don't have friends and stay home all day I guess.
Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tropicalshower

Amazing how everyone gets bent out of shape over anything these days.

Dunno whats john's reason to play at his house(and quite frankly it's none of my business), but for me, it comes down to not having to worry about a device getting lost/stolen. I do agree that john was out of line when he called you an idiot over something so meaningless.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#30 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

I played uncharted, at max settings, in a full charge, and the battery went out after 3:32 minutes of continuous play. Is it because uncharted GA requires more power to run, or is it this bad?Second_Hokage
Where is your proof? Coolyfett does not believe you played a PSV. Yep.

Jonas008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jonas008
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts
iPad = tablet
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#32 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
Frankly, 3:32 hours is decent. I'd be lucky to get that much out of my PSP now. Sure, battery life is only barely keeping up with technology, but you guys are blowing things way out of proportion. This is a gaming device, and 3 and half hours of heavy gaming will keep you busy for... well, 3 and a half hours, and that's nothing to sniff at.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

Doesn't really matter to me since I don't usually play games more than 3 hours straight

riou7
This Back in the day I remember playing game boy color for like 10 hours and carrying a pack of AA batteries with me all the time Right now? I rarely play that much and besides I rarely take handheld systems out of my house, it's not like I'm gonna play them on my daily commute or at college
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

That is to be expected. Still 3.5 hours is normal for most tech devices running at max.

Sony is working on an extended battery pack for PSvita. Hopefully

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
[QUOTE="lonewolf604"][QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="lonewolf604"] What's the point of playing a handheld at home? That's like buying a tent to camp out in your back yard.

I never said it couldn't be used at home, but its a portable device, Who knows, maybe you guys just don't have friends and stay home all day I guess.

Your just digging yourself deeper and deeper.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#36 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

[QUOTE="lonewolf604"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] So it's a requirement to leave the house when i buy a handheld? You're saying my mobile phone is no longer allowed to be used in my own home because it goes against the term "mobile"? You're an idiot....p4s2p0

Your just digging yourself deeper and deeper.

Very interesting. Can you explain this post in further detail? What exactly is so deep?

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

What's the point of playing a handheld at home? That's like buying a tent to camp out in your back yard. lonewolf604

Tons of good reasons to play your handheld at home: namely, kicking back on the sofa, in bed, in the backyard, etc.

The PSP is a handheld, but it isn't really all that mobile.

ptown58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ptown58
Member since 2004 • 1899 Posts
"Horrible" ? a little over dramatic , 3hrs for what the Vita can do is fine plus better alternatives always come to the market eventually ...ie better bat not to mention fm updates...etc. Pretty lame title though ..."horrible" .
ptown58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ptown58
Member since 2004 • 1899 Posts
Sorry ..."firmware updates"
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

The Ipad gives you 10 hours of continous play of Infinity Blade 2? Proof? (not a sarcastic nor rhetorical question).

If so that's pretty awesome.

Then again the Ipad 2 isn't as small as your VITA nor cost 270 dollars.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#41 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I don't see myself playing the Vita much outside home which is kinda sad. Me and my friends can somehow forgive the PSP's bad battery life but I have a feeling the Vita will be treated like a console. Kinda sad.....maybe I should just get a new console :P Either way, here's hoping the external battery add on won't be expensive but I highly doubt it'll be cheap.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts

That's normal and also about the life span of the 3DS and PSP GO. Just get the external battery brick... it will give you like 5 more hours of power.

kindredmachine
My PSP Go lasts 5 1/2 hours. Should wait until the PS Vita 2000 comes out lol.
Shingirayi121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shingirayi121
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
The ipad is huge and so it also comes with a bigger battery which amounts to an extended battery life. There is no fair comparison between the two. You could try comparing the Vita to a smartphone perhaps. I can barely squeeze in two hrs of gaming on my droid phone. 3.5 hrs on the vita is actually fantastic if you ask me. And for that much graphics, I don't see why anyone should be complaining here.
Digital_DJ_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#44 Digital_DJ_00
Member since 2005 • 1460 Posts

A battery life span of 3 hrs 30 mins to 4 hrs 30 mins is completely normal, even current laptops average at about 4 hrs 45 mins.

Digital_DJ_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#45 Digital_DJ_00
Member since 2005 • 1460 Posts

[QUOTE="kindredmachine"]

NiKva

That'll probably be around 2014/2015. Are you really gonna wait 2-3 years for a $50 price drop and a battery life that only lasts about 45 - 60 minutes longer than it's 1st edition?

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Yeah the battery goes down pretty fast, good thing you can load the battery with USB, I tend to have USB power everywhere around me (pcs, car, notebook), just got to take the cable with me. Also at the guys saying it's the wifi: Wifi gets deactivated once the game boots, at least the Vita says so

Avatar image for THE_DESTROYER_1
THE_DESTROYER_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 THE_DESTROYER_1
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts
[
Dude the ipad is differnt from the ps vita and they 2 different companies so who cares if it has less than 10 hours...we want enjoy the item of gaming nd not compare whos has better battery life
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

I have no idea where I would take a handheld system outside of my house. Probably shouldn't play it at work or when I'm driving. Battery Life has never mattered to me. If it did I would just buy the battery pack or use nearby outlets to charge while I play.

Legolas_Katarn
this also, 3:30 hours isnt bad at all, and at max settings (im guessin you mean brightness and wireless) its fantastic for that type of device. want to play handheld games for days without charging or changing batterys? those days are long gone srry to say.
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts
[[QUOTE="Second_Hokage"]Guys, the ipad gives us 10 hours! Vita couldnt do that?THE_DESTROYER_1
Dude the ipad is differnt from the ps vita and they 2 different companies so who cares if it has less than 10 hours...we want enjoy the item of gaming nd not compare whos has better battery life

not to mention the ipad doesnt have half the power (atleast gaming power) as the vita and that 10 hours prolly isnt at max energy consumption mode (whatever that would be for an ipad)
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

[QUOTE="NiKva"][QUOTE="kindredmachine"]

Digital_DJ_00

That'll probably be around 2014/2015. Are you really gonna wait 2-3 years for a $50 price drop and a battery life that only lasts about 45 - 60 minutes longer than it's 1st edition?

Are you really gonna invest in the most expensive dedicated gaming console that has the least software library today?

Am I missing great multiplayer titles where 2 years from now has useless userbase?

Getting it 2 years from now the library would have been more matured, maybe some useful apps and better browser as well or better hardware. PSP 2000 had more RAM and a TV out.

Up to you.

If your rich enough and the instant gratification type of person, by all means go for it. But if your more practical then wait as it will only get better.