OK Sony, wouldn't a UMD add on defeat the purpose of the Go?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DangerHiVoltage
DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DangerHiVoltage
Member since 2009 • 1157 Posts

You know, the purpose to fight piracy? this add on will only enable homebrew hacking and general piracy on the psp go.

think sony, not good

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

UMD add on?

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
umd add-on? ummm the purpose of the psp go is for DIGITAL DOWNLOAD only!!!
More_Dakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#4 More_Dakka
Member since 2007 • 1625 Posts

If I recall from IGN's article on the "UMD add-on," it's already been reported as bogus.

If I recall correctly, both Sony AND Logitech came out and proclaimed it as a completely false.

A UMD add-on wouldn't completely defeat the Go's purpose though- the Go still has much more storage than the other PSP models do of course. So there's still a higher emphasis on downloadable content.

It would certainly greatly hamper the Go's original purpose- but not defeat it completely.

It would undoubtedly make the Go as expensive as a PS3 though... :|

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

You know, the purpose to fight piracy? this add on will only enable homebrew hacking and general piracy on the psp go.

think sony, not good

DangerHiVoltage

Yes is it would. But Sony wont release a UMD add-on, so there's nothing to worry about

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Even though it won't happen most likely, no, it wouldn't defeat the purpose. Suppose there's only one or two games on UMD that you really want that aren't on PSN. And perhaps you think like me- the old PSP design is complete garbage that only a 5 year old girl could enjoy using. A UMD add-on would allow you to play those one or two games that you really want when you're at home, but when you're out, you just leave the UMD adapter at home. So you still have the portability of the Go but access to a back library of games if you want it.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

:P

voltzila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 voltzila
Member since 2007 • 347 Posts

think sony, not good

DangerHiVoltage

But that is already happening.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

Exactly how do you figure a umd drive would making hacking possible? last i checked no one used teh umd drive to hack tehre psps.

Tim_Millington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Tim_Millington
Member since 2007 • 1615 Posts

The GO has been hacked anyway. The additionally UMD drive is pointless. Why dont you just by the 3000 in the first place!

Avatar image for RockinTheCasbah
RockinTheCasbah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 RockinTheCasbah
Member since 2009 • 441 Posts

To all who are saying it wouldn't defeat the purpose; yes it would. Buying a PSP GO and a UMD drive would probably come to almost $280. You could buy a PSP 3000 and a 16 gigabyte memory stick for alot less than that, and it would do exactly the same thing...

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 warmaster670

To all who are saying it wouldn't defeat the purpose; yes it would. Buying a PSP GO and a UMD drive would probably come to almost $280. You could buy a PSP 3000 and a 16 gigabyte memory stick for alot less than that, and it would do exactly the same thing...

RockinTheCasbah

So? you could buy the 16gig stick and have 32 with the go.

If you were looking for a lot of space and liked the go this would make perfect sense.

XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

[QUOTE="RockinTheCasbah"]

warmaster670

If you were looking for a lot of space and liked the go this would make perfect sense.

A PSP 3000 and 2 16GB memory stick is still cheaper than a Go with one 16GB stick. And I'd rather buy a PS3 than a Go with 1 16GB stick.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 warmaster670

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

XXI_World

And I'd rather buy a PS3 than a Go with 1 16GB stick.

And there you go, just because youi dont find something useful doesnt mean other people wont.

RockinTheCasbah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RockinTheCasbah

[QUOTE="XXI_World"]

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

warmaster670

And there you go, just because youi dont find something useful doesnt mean other people wont.

I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but how exactly was I proven wrong there? Also, buying the GO and an additional 16 gigabyte memory stick and UMD drive would still cost alot more than buying a PSP 3000 and two 16 gigabyte memory sticks. So no, it would not make perfect sense.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

They made the PSPgo because they just want to FORCE people to buy more digital download games. and its MUCH cheaper for sony to release games digitally so they dont have to burn games to umd discs. A UMD add-on would be nice for people that want to occasionally play a game like Ace Combat X on their PSP. Until ALL psp games are available on the playstation store, they should work on backward compatibility somehow.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 warmaster670

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="XXI_World"]

RockinTheCasbah

I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but how exactly was I proven wrong there? Also, buying the GO and an additional 16 gigabyte memory stick and UMD drive would still cost alot more than buying a PSP 3000 and two 16 gigabyte memory sticks. So no, it would not make perfect sense.

Again, doesnt make sense to YOU, guess what, not every gamer is you or wants what you want, some poeple might want a go with 32 gigs of space and the capability to play umd games, get over it.

RockinTheCasbah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RockinTheCasbah

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

warmaster670

Again, doesnt make sense to YOU, guess what, not every gamer is you or wants what you want, some poeple might want a go with 32 gigs of space and the capability to play umd games, get over it.

You're missing the point. I'm saying that you can get all that with the PSP 3000, for much cheaper. It might make sense to others, but the two systems would be doing exactly the same for very different prices, therefore it makes no sense to me.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#19 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
Purpose of the go is supposed to be DOWNLOAD ONLY. I like Sony but sometimes they just don't think.
Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

[QUOTE="DangerHiVoltage"]

think sony, not good

blacknight06

Yes is it would. But Sony wont release a UMD add-on, so there's nothing to worry about

Looks like I'm staying with my 3000
myst3rial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 myst3rial
Member since 2009 • 272 Posts
Lol - it was a rumor! People are spreading such news to make people interest with PSP Go :)
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

It was a rumor. Both Logitech and Sony shot it down. It's not happening.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts

You're missing the point. I'm saying that you can get all that with the PSP 3000, for much cheaper. It might make sense to others, but the two systems would be doing exactly the same for very different prices, therefore it makes no sense to me.

RockinTheCasbah
I never knew you could use a PS3 controller with the 3000. Nor did I hear about the firmware update that allowed savestates on the 3000. It seems like you're the only one who missed the point. And I'll add another reason (and the big reason I have a Go)- the control layout on the old PSP sucks. I would rather not have a portable than go back to that.
Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#24 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts
I still think that PSP Go's inbuilt memory is not large enough (16GB but most PSP games are at least 1GB). DAMN!!! I want games like Disgaea, MGS, KZ: L on my PSP but I can't find it cheap. Digital download version of those are very cheap but I'm more into retail things so I have trouble to make a decision! :(
RockinTheCasbah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RockinTheCasbah

LongZhiZi

I never knew you could use a PS3 controller with the 3000. Nor did I hear about the firmware update that allowed savestates on the 3000. It seems like you're the only one who missed the point. And I'll add another reason (and the big reason I have a Go)- the control layout on the old PSP sucks. I would rather not have a portable than go back to that.

All I said was that it doesn't make sense to me. If an extra $80 for a firmware update and better control layout (in your opinion) is worth it to you, then that is fine, and I'm not trying to argue with you. All I have been saying is that it does not make sense to me.

Avatar image for Valkyriareaper1
Valkyriareaper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Valkyriareaper1
Member since 2009 • 526 Posts

There is no UMD add on, it was just a rumor.

Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 Resistance_Kid
Member since 2009 • 1171 Posts

They made the PSPgo because they just want to FORCE people to buy more digital download games. and its MUCH cheaper for sony to release games digitally so they dont have to burn games to umd discs. A UMD add-on would be nice for people that want to occasionally play a game like Ace Combat X on their PSP. Until ALL psp games are available on the playstation store, they should work on backward compatibility somehow.

Talldude80

:O It shock me how right you are.