Official MGS4 Review thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dj_Strafer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Dj_Strafer
Member since 2004 • 315 Posts
Greatest game ever made.
lil_zelda_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#202 lil_zelda_dude
Member since 2006 • 1291 Posts

I dont understand why everyones freaking out that gamespot gave it a 10, this game is classic! And there not just throwing out 10's it was just coincidental that GTAIV and MGS4 came out at the same times which are both great games. Sure it looks a little strange but both of these games in my opinion deserved the score (especiall MGS4 WOOT)

But hey thats just me :P

Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts

Eh? I loved the game, but I can't imagine it appealing to the vast majority of gamers... all these 10s it's getting are rather odd. :?Funkyhamster

It's funny, and suprising, at least a bit, that I started at the end and read quite a few pages before I found this (so no, I didn't just read the first page and skip all the way to the end.)

I think the game is really quite well done, but I just don't see this as a perfect 10 by any means. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay, graphics, and story are all quite well done but there is one blemish that really and truly strikes a nerve with me. It's all the dang cutscenes. Not only are they overly frequent, but they are unnecassarily long.

Here's my thought on this. Video games are really an interactive form of entertainment. Everytime the game takes the interactive out of the entertainment it better be for a darn good reason. MGS4 does this so consistently it kills the immersion. I'm constantly bombarded by either A) a load screen (B) a long video or (C) the occasional install screen. A lot of times these come one right after the other, (such as between Acts where I get a long video, an install screen, then another long video) leaving me to wonder when the "game" is going to feel like letting me interact with it once more.

Moreover, it seems as though everytime the game feels the necessity to reveal a new portion of the story it can't do this within the gameplay, but rather pauses it to tell me. I think it's tantamount to Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's critique of CtrlAltDel-Online. He criticised Tim Buckley for starting with the punchline than explaining why that was supposed to be funny. In MGS4, I feel as though I'm constantly running through the generic motions than having the game steal away control to explain why I'm doing that. The game should explain it as I go, while I'm in control, saving the cutscenes for moments that truly warrant it.

-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#205 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
Just finished it today, def. deserves the 10 in my opinion. It's miles ahead of any other MGS game, and certainly better than GTA IV
aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts
Even FoxNews review MGS4
matic310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 matic310
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
This game is !@#!@#$$ amazing!
Takazhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Takazhi
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
well i own the game ....and for me if 10/10 because i was amazed by the gameplay and historical features!
Lithomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#209 Lithomas
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
MGS4 deserves an 11/10. The game is ****ing amazing. I have GTA4 and I can see how the initial "Cool, a super realistic city wiith lots of guns!" reaction could get it a 10, but it's not really that good. After a little while, the missions are too similar, and the guns aren't that fun (not including the RPG). Just didn't have enough lasting value for me to deserve a 10. On the other hand, I'm already halfway through my second playthrough of MGS4.
crazydonat30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 crazydonat30
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
finally, someone with some sense around here.
goyolap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#211 goyolap
Member since 2005 • 477 Posts
I give this game a 10 because it complex and groundbreaking story in my opinion gta 4 is little overrated
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#212 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts
anybody else agree that this MGS4 10 makes GTA4's 10 look like a 9.5
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#213 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Cutting down on this sticky...Be sure to still use the other 2 stickied threads for all MGS4 discussion, though. Thanks!
jakndaxter7223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#215 jakndaxter7223
Member since 2005 • 2101 Posts
MGS4 is the greatest game of all time.