Official MGS4 Review thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51 shadystxxx
Member since 2005 • 2158 Posts

So far i would agree with the ten, just on first impressions ive only played 2 acts around 5-6 hours(including the cut scenes).

The game is amazing and so far its quite easily to tell its the best gaming expierence on ps3 if not on all next gen consoles but its too early to say that for me.

I agreed with the review from what ive played of it but i do have 1 or 2 negative points about metal gear(i still think a game with a few minor negative points can get a ten, 10 not ment to mean "the perfect game" as it doesnt exsit) the constant stream of re-spanwing enemies is the only negative point ive come across, and its annoying untill you figure out what you need to do, at one part of act 1 i was helping the rebels and wanted to win the little battle(you know you have won when the rebels start celebrating) but there were two PMC's behind sandbags and every time i killed them 2 more just kept running around the corner over and over again so i just sneaked past to continue, later the same thing happened again in act 2 but this time i realized that there;s "trigger points" once your past a certain part of the area enemies no longer re-spawn(the re-spawn only happens in firefights between rebels and PMC's) its an old game design that really should not be in there, i suppose there was no other way to do it as if your sneaking very slowly these scripted battles between the groups would just come to a halt at some stage through your sneaking which would take away the effect of sneaking through a battlefield so its a minor negative point.

Also Kojima said these battles were completly dynamic and you could pick and choose which side you wished to help which is not true, the battles are very heavily scripted, explosions happen in the same place every time you attempt the part of a mission(i died quite a few times as im playing on bif boss hard) the same rebels die in the same parts, also you really cannot pick a side to help, the PMC's are always the enemy and the rebels are the only side you can help dynamcily, you can kill the rebels and help the pmc's but the pmc's will still shoot you afterwards regardless if you helped them or not.

The game is amazing and so far IMO it could be the best game ever IMO, i only brought up the negative points as gamespot never had any and theres a few minor ones there, same with GTA4 which was not a 10 IMO another great game but it had some flaws far bigger than MGS4, seems to me like GS are handing out these tens and completly positive only reviews to keep the fangirls on both sides happy, its inconsistent as if you read some other GS reviews that are completely positive they got 8.0-8.5 without any real negative points in them.

I will say it again just incase someone takes my comment as offensive, metal gear solid 4 is turning out to be the best game i have ever played EVER, Graphicly its a beautiful technical achivement,story wise its easily the best a video game has ever see IMO, i have not played MGO yet so i cannot comment, If i had to review it off the 6 hours ive played i would give it a ten also, i just think some of the triple a hyped games like halo 3/gta 4 etc are getting allot of leway in terms of there reviews, the way GS writes there reviews about these games you would think there "perfect" without bugs/flaws, no game will ever be perfect, but MGS4 is the closet to it.

DeAd_H0miE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 DeAd_H0miE
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I think Gamespot Got It Spot On. 10/10 And Totally Deserved ;)

Steve_ps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Steve_ps
Member since 2008 • 255 Posts
woo, it defiently deserves a 10 imo, and people saying "all these 10s", there are 2, don't complain that two great games come a long at once lol
liamabob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 liamabob
Member since 2004 • 1723 Posts

My take on MGS4 :)

I got into a writing mood :P

I hope you enjoy :)

liamabob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 liamabob

Guys wait to you get to the end of ACT 3 ! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWgameruk2010

wait til you finish it :P

gameruk2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 gameruk2010
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts

[QUOTE="gameruk2010"]Guys wait to you get to the end of ACT 3 ! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWliamabob

Don't tell me it can get better then that!?! surly not!

liamabob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 liamabob
[QUOTE="liamabob"]

[QUOTE="gameruk2010"]Guys wait to you get to the end of ACT 3 ! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWgameruk2010

Don't tell me it can get better then that!?! surly not!

oh believe me, from there on, it is simply amazing

jay_lee112084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 jay_lee112084
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts
This game is a solid 8-8.5 i love it, but there are to many little issues to give it a perfect score, and compared to all the other great games that got 8's and 9's for the same thing, I get annoyed that they would act as though payment never effects their score.
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

I don't trust any 10/10 review.

Great Game, I can give you that... But a 10/10 is not a review, its a hyped person writting, or a paid one.

hermes200

Like a member of the Gamespot staff said a while ago, they give tens because the game cannot be improved in anything not because it is perfect and flawless.

gameruk2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 gameruk2010

This game is a solid 8-8.5 i love it, but there are to many little issues to give it a perfect score, and compared to all the other great games that got 8's and 9's for the same thing, I get annoyed that they would act as though payment never effects their score.jay_lee112084

What 'little' issues were they that deserve 2 mark taken away from it?

khalid_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 khalid_b
Member since 2005 • 622 Posts
Guys I just woke up and checked out GS to see if their review was up and I see a 1 and a 0...thats a 1.0 right? It cant be a 10 right? Am I still dreaming? Then why does typing this post seem so real to me? Thx for finally throwing us PS3 owners a bone GS, guess Ill have to start taking ur reviews seriously once again.
mosset5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 mosset5
Member since 2006 • 111 Posts

This game deserved a 10... nothing less. Gamespot finally got it right. GTA4 did not deserve a 10.

I got it a ebgames at midnight launch. I will be playing all weekend, i'm still in act 1

gameruk2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 gameruk2010

This game deserved a 10... nothing less. Gamespot finally got it right. GTA4 did not deserve a 10.

I got it a ebgames at midnight launch. I will be playing all weekend, i'm still in act 1

mosset5

Your in for treat!

res0i39c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 res0i39c
Member since 2007 • 2007 Posts
Oh yea. I knew it would. Can't wait to get my copy on saturday.
king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#66 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
Awesome review :D This game deserves a 10.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#67 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

These people on here are a piece of work. If it DIDN'T get a ten they'd all be crying foul. And since it DID get a ten they're STILL !$%ing about the score.

Good God. They'll never be happy.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#68 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I think a big congratulations has to go out to Kojima for making a truly amazing game. I hope it goes on to break sales records and make them a whole bunch of money. They deserve it.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
Awesome! IGN and GameSpot seem to have rather similar ratings for these big titles. Congratulations Kojima! I knew you could pull this off :)
BRAWLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 BRAWLL
Member since 2007 • 307 Posts
This is crazy I wasnt expecting a 10/10. Could this be the PS3's turning point?xXHackettXx
dude its MGS4 what did you expect... onlypossibleon PS3, this is the best PS3 game ever
Mofizzle911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Mofizzle911
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="xXHackettXx"]This is crazy I wasnt expecting a 10/10. Could this be the PS3's turning point?BRAWLL
dude its MGS4 what did you expect... onlypossibleon PS3, this is the best PS3 game ever

Yeah, I can tell this game will be the best of the year so far.

BRAWLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 BRAWLL

[QUOTE="BRAWLL"][QUOTE="xXHackettXx"]This is crazy I wasnt expecting a 10/10. Could this be the PS3's turning point?Mofizzle911

Yeah, I can tell this game will be the best of the year so far.

yea dude but not to be a fanboy oranythingbut Xbox dosent have exclusive games with a score of 10, at least not on gamespot, that shows a lot

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#74 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

These people on here are a piece of work. If it DIDN'T get a ten they'd all be crying foul. And since it DID get a ten they're STILL !$%ing about the score.

Good God. They'll never be happy.

Kravyn81

your right :/. and now the 360 fans are going to Say "See gamespot is not biased" jesus ******* crist this is will never end but what a heck i could care less. So about MGS$ i will be playing it in abouth a month when my PS3 arrives but in a SDTV :(

if anyone has a extra HDTV that your not using dont doubt to PM me :P well im happy that it got a 10 but anyway i already gave it a ten since i trust on kojima more than my best friend :P see ya all take care

MGS FOREVER AND EVER !!!

Avatar image for 5FingersOfDeath
5FingersOfDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 5FingersOfDeath
Member since 2007 • 1114 Posts

Damn it feels good seeing a 10 up there. Excellent review, well deserved. Great job Mr. Kojima & Konami.

Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts
Do you need to play MGS3 to understand MGS4? I have only played MGS 1 and 2.
rpgfreak15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 rpgfreak15
Member since 2004 • 759 Posts
Really didn't expect a 10...long live MGS4!
mosset5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 mosset5
Member since 2006 • 111 Posts

I will say this again.... MSG4 is a masterpiece! This is the greatest game on any old or next gen console. I have never said it about any games even Zelda... MSG4 is PURE BRILLIANCE!!

Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#80 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts
A perfect 10? I wish the old members of GS were here to see this...
Magatsu23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Magatsu23
Member since 2004 • 189 Posts

no, to understand MGS4, you should play MGS1 and 2. hell, play all of them, since the story sequence is 3,1,2,4. but 3 doesn´t have Solid Snake, but rather Big Boss (in his humble begginings as Naked Snake).

cant wait to play MGS4. but hey, if a game deserves a 10, then this is it.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

Finally Sony fanboys can stop making these "Gamespot Bias" threads. Even though we all know MGS4 didn't deserve a 10, they still gave it a 10 to stop the PS3 fanboyz cryin!! LOL, just my view on things. No harm

EDIT: Oh yea I forgot, I love Metal Gear Solid, but I know it's not a perfect 10 :)

bootsfansonly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 bootsfansonly
Member since 2006 • 378 Posts

I think GameSpot has been giving out high scores way too loosely nowadays. Don't get me wrong, while I don't own a PS3 and I'm pretty sure MGS4 is actually really good, GameSpot has just been giving out way too many high scores lately to call them credible. I don't know of any game that is really that good enough to recieve a 10/10, not even Grand Theft Auto IV.xxlizardxx

MGS 4 deserves it, GTA 4, not so much

snake0510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 snake0510
Member since 2006 • 123 Posts

GameSpot finally did it , they gave a ps3 exclusive, MGS4, a 10/10 score

i demand anyone that said "The day GS gives a ps exclusive a perfet score, is the day i (insert watever u said in here)" to actully do it, i dare u lol

lol, today is a good day for ps3

congrats Kojima-San and all ps3 gamers

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#85 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

Do you need to play MGS3 to understand MGS4? I have only played MGS 1 and 2.ElectronicMagic

Yes. There will be a lot of people on here telling you not to bother since it is a prequel, but a number of very significant plot twists will mean nothing to you if you haven't played MGS3. You have been warned.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="ElectronicMagic"]Do you need to play MGS3 to understand MGS4? I have only played MGS 1 and 2.Silent-Hal

Yes. There will be a lot of people on here telling you not to bother since it is a prequel, but a number of very significant plot twists will mean nothing to you if you haven't played MGS3. You have been warned.

Having not played MGS4, but knowing that characters like EVA show up in MGS4, I know that MGS3 is called that for a reason. It would have been called something else if the story of MGS3 wasn't imperative to everything going on,
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

Finally Sony fanboys can stop making these "Gamespot Bias" threads. Even though we all know MGS4 didn't deserve a 10, they still gave it a 10 to stop the PS3 fanboyz cryin!! LOL, just my view on things. No harm

EDIT: Oh yea I forgot, I love Metal Gear Solid, but I know it's not a perfect 10 :)

gamer082009

If any game so far this gen, or any game that will come out this gen deserves a 10, it's definitely MGS4.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Both GTA IV and MGS4 deserved the 10 scores -- I'm glad they received them.
BRAWLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 BRAWLL

Both GTA IV and MGS4 deserved the 10 scores -- I'm glad they received them.BioShockOwnz

sorry but i dont think GTA 4 really had to get a 10, i like the game but it was too over hyped, i would see GTa4 inlike a 9. or so

Avatar image for excalibredeadly
excalibredeadly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#91 excalibredeadly
Member since 2006 • 86 Posts
if i am not wrong before gta iv and mgs iv, only legend of zelda ocarina of time was a 10. now at least there is a ps3 exclusive game with a 10. i'm so proud. not even xbox 360 exclusive games could get 10. given that gamespot are always so biased when it comes to comparing the xbox 360 and ps3.
1uP_OnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 1uP_OnYou
Member since 2008 • 3183 Posts
The moment I put MGS4 disc into my Ps3 and started playing I was completely blown away! Such powerful presentation and wonderful game play. Everyone should really experience this game, whether they are veterans or brand new to the series. Truly epic stuff and a rightfully deserved score from what I have played and experienced so far.
Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#94 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts

gamer082009

Well MGS4 is Kojima's last and he threw in everything along with the sink, he was aiming for a 10 after all, maybe the Gamespot staffs were impressed at his dedication.

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
i knew it was going to get a good review, personally i love the series, but i don't see how the player reviews are so high i mean i bet half of them haven't played any of the other games so they wouldn't even know the story
skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts
OK guys, wheres a good place to get a nice rundown on the whole metal gear story??? I really want to play this game, but i'm seriously not going to go back and play the old ones....just not going to happen(i'm just too busy a person). A video on the subject would be nice, but i'll read about it some where if I have to. Many thanks...
arikkot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 arikkot
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]Both GTA IV and MGS4 deserved the 10 scores -- I'm glad they received them.BRAWLL

sorry but i dont think GTA 4 really had to get a 10, i like the game but it was too over hyped, i would see GTa4 inlike a 9. or so

I haven't played MGS 4 (read: haven't played MGS 4 yet) but I've played GTA 4 and I definitely think it deserves a 10. What more could you ask from an open world third person shooter. The story is amzing, the gameplay, once you get over the driving mechanics, is amazing (cover system already makes it better than San Andreas IMO) and the voice acting is great too (although as a Russian speake, I was slightly disappointed that Niko's "Russsian accent" was crap.) I'd take that over 90 minutes of cutscenes anyday. So I say, if (and I personally have no idea) MGS4 really deserved a 10, so did GTA4.

arikkot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 arikkot
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts

i knew it was going to get a good review, personally i love the series, but i don't see how the player reviews are so high i mean i bet half of them haven't played any of the other games so they wouldn't even know the storyChampionoChumps

Well hype may have gotten to some of their heads, and a few sony fanboys might have posted perfect 10s just to spite, but most of everybody either played the previous games or caught up with the story online.

ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#99 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts
that's not to say if you haven't played the previous metal gear titles you won't enjoy this one... I know I'm loving every second of it and I haven't played any of the other ones. Sure, I'm sure I'll miss out on a good amount of plot twists and stuff, but that game does a great job of letting you know what's going on and somehow manages to make everything make sense.
Rock99999Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Rock99999Fan
Member since 2007 • 707 Posts

Keven VanOrd rules for giving MGS4 a 10!

I wish he was the one that rated Ratchet and Clank instead of Aaron Thomas but o well...