Oblivion makes the PS3 look bad?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 magrappy
Member since 2003 • 1835 Posts
I got it today and to be honest it doesn't make the ps3 look amazing, the game is too detailed and the areas are too big, the ps3 i thought would run it smooth. I still see things loading up slower then they should, a lot of slow down, the only good thing ive noticed is good load times. Should the ps3 be running it better, how can we expect more from the ps3 when it stuggles with oblivion, or is oblivion just over the top?
rbrown3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 rbrown3
Member since 2005 • 4148 Posts
that is crazy talk, blasphemy!
Xanog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Xanog1
Member since 2004 • 12332 Posts

My copy runs fine.

The only framerate drops I've encountered are at Kvatch, and at the final battle, and those really weren't that bad either.

magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 magrappy

My copy runs fine.

The only framerate drops I've encountered are at Kvatch, and at the final battle, and those really weren't that bad either.

Xanog1

Im at Kvatch now i think, theres been tones of slow down and bad back ground loading. When you walk over a hill and a small set of trees loads later then its meant to. I don't think mine is 1 in a milion the one that doesn't run perfect, i think its more likely everyones running a little less perfect then they hoped but would hate to admit it. Is there any settings or anything people have changed to make it run better?

aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts
that is crazy talk, blasphemy!rbrown3
THIS IS PS3 FORUM!!! *BOOT*
KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts

no mine has a little slow down every so often but other than that and the audio glitches tha froze me game twice but in 40 hours it has run good.  i played oblivion on the 360 and while it ran about the same alot of colors are brighter on the ps3 and trees look better

plg2307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 plg2307
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts

Port... Even if they did put a lot of work on it it's nothing more than a port

treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 treelog187
Member since 2005 • 2111 Posts

If you think this version runs bad, try playing the PC or 360 version.  I quit playing the 360 version because of the awful slowdown and freeze ups.  Also keep in mind its not the fault of the PS3 but the developers.

Still I woudnt complain seeing as how you have the best version of the game.  If this game had been built from the ground up around the PS3 it would have been much better.

KSD22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KSD22
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts
You haven't played Splinter Cell.
Pablo620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Pablo620
Member since 2004 • 4980 Posts
It wasnt build from the ground up to run on PS3. And i dont see any of those things as too much of a problem they are minor. Its not getting in the way of how awesome the game is. And yeah its worse on the 360, alot worse. Go see the comparison videos over at gametrailers.com
magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 magrappy
Fair comments, it runs a million time better then my friends pc, he acturly can't play it unless he takes the grass off, i just didn't think it would suffer in the little bits ive seen in the first 4-5hours, wont stop me from playing it, it still looks and plays amazing, i think its great so far.
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11911 Posts
ps3 version of oblivion looks great, but i have noticed some slow downs and freezing, and it appeared to happen after the oblivion gates opened. oh well, i guess i'll just go close them.
CMX115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CMX115
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

If you think this version runs bad, try playing the PC or 360 version.  I quit playing the 360 version because of the awful slowdown and freeze ups.  Also keep in mind its not the fault of the PS3 but the developers.

Still I woudnt complain seeing as how you have the best version of the game.  If this game had been built from the ground up around the PS3 it would have been much better.

treelog187

I've played on a High-end System, and the PC version surpasses the 360 version by a mile given you've got the hardware to run it.

My PS3 buddies have told me that the ps3 version is running better than 360 in most aspects.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
code isn't quite optimized and Oblivion always had performance issues.
Avatar image for mindfreak249211
mindfreak249211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mindfreak249211
Member since 2006 • 53 Posts
keep in mind it isnt the best graphics either...Oblivon doesnt run at 1080 it runs at 720
trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#16 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5709 Posts

Stop right there! You've violated the law!!

My version runs fine :D 

crck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 crck
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
yeah, the ps3 version already runs much better then its other console brother.  Oblivion was the glitchest game for the 360.  Forcing people to clear their cache, read disc errors and lock ups.  The ps3 version isn't perfect but the drawn in distant is better and its less glitchy.
rockstar_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 rockstar_88
Member since 2005 • 1253 Posts

Okay, look at it this way.  Oblivions still loads faster than the 360 and the PC versions.  The main problem with why the game may seem to have slow loading problems is the Blu-Ray format.  It may have lots of storage capacity, but the main problem with Blu-Rays is that data transfer from the disc to the hardware is slower than with DVDs.  The information is uncompressed, therefore it will take longer for the reader to find the information on the disc to find and read.  The PS3 team that worked on Oblivion solved this loading problem by doing two things.  The first one is a method used by other games, which is to save certain data onto the PS3 hard drive (which, along with that and one save file of Oblivion, will already eat up almost 10 GB of memory), while the other is to duplicate data across the disc so that the reader can find the information it is looking for easier.

You learned something new and cool today.  :)

slinkysi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 slinkysi
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts

Okay, look at it this way. Oblivions still loads faster than the 360 and the PC versions. The main problem with why the game may seem to have slow loading problems is the Blu-Ray format. It may have lots of storage capacity, but the main problem with Blu-Rays is that data transfer from the disc to the hardware is slower than with DVDs. The information is uncompressed, therefore it will take longer for the reader to find the information on the disc to find and read. The PS3 team that worked on Oblivion solved this loading problem by doing two things. The first one is a method used by other games, which is to save certain data onto the PS3 hard drive (which, along with that and one save file of Oblivion, will already eat up almost 10 GB of memory), while the other is to duplicate data across the disc so that the reader can find the information it is looking for easier.

You learned something new and cool today. :)

rockstar_88

Before posting such patronising comments, perhaps yhou should check your facts. Blu-ray transfers data faster than DVD.

DVD - 10 MBS

BD - 48 MBS

http://panasonic.com.au/products/information.cfm?detailsID=283&contextID=11 

Kid_Grave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kid_Grave
Member since 2007 • 56 Posts
well my copy is fine as well and as it was stated earlier it is the smoothest running version of the game Elder Scrolls is just lag city man its huge so expect some kind of lag
magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 magrappy

since when was being "too detailed" and having areas "too big" been a bad thing??? Oh man u sound about really stupid right now, go run into something sharp. lolaguy428

Well because the ps3 stuggles to run them thats why. i understand the game was probebly made on and designed for pc's much more powerful then the ps3, the ps3 just doesn't run it well, wether it be from the port, disk or what ever everyone else said above. I also like the way most people above agree'd with what i said and had answers to why it happens. A couple just plain denigh it happens because they have spent too much money for a game to have slow down and a few glitches, and you basically had nothing to say. 

The_G00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_G00se
Member since 2006 • 760 Posts

I got it today and to be honest it doesn't make the ps3 look amazing, the game is too detailed and the areas are too big, the ps3 i thought would run it smooth. I still see things loading up slower then they should, a lot of slow down, the only good thing ive noticed is good load times. Should the ps3 be running it better, how can we expect more from the ps3 when it stuggles with oblivion, or is oblivion just over the top?magrappy

Maybe you have a crappy machine because I don't see those things at all. Was actually thinking of posting a thread about how impressed I have been with Oblivion on the PS3.  It's SMOOF like butta!!!

The_G00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_G00se
Member since 2006 • 760 Posts
yeah, the ps3 version already runs much better then its other console brother.  Oblivion was the glitchest game for the 360.  Forcing people to clear their cache, read disc errors and lock ups.  The ps3 version isn't perfect but the drawn in distant is better and its less glitchy.crck
punisher2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 punisher2k8
Member since 2005 • 484 Posts
I got it today and to be honest it doesn't make the ps3 look amazing, the game is too detailed and the areas are too big, the ps3 i thought would run it smooth. I still see things loading up slower then they should, a lot of slow down, the only good thing ive noticed is good load times. Should the ps3 be running it better, how can we expect more from the ps3 when it stuggles with oblivion, or is oblivion just over the top?magrappy
you see loading is slower, but the good thing is load times????? you truly must be 12.
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
its the game. i get a solid 60fps on my pc at max but at times it may dip to 20 range during a fight scene in the woods on a sunny day. I doubt that its the big problem you are detailing
Dagnelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dagnelli
Member since 2007 • 403 Posts

I think not...

There are any difference between oblivion graphics and Resistance???

For me resistance Graphics are a little bit better. but the open world of oblivion is incredible.

PSN: Spawn27 

Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts

I think not...

There are any difference between oblivion graphics and Resistance???

For me resistance Graphics are a little bit better. but the open world of oblivion is incredible.

PSN: Spawn27 

Dagnelli

id have to disagree

Kid_Grave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kid_Grave
do the daedric quests the one about the plauges makes it lag like mad. and i wonder if u can change the settings to get less lag. there is also rumor that it runs smoother with hdmi aswell
Kid_Grave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kid_Grave
how? (dare i ask so as not to be flammed) lol
XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 XL83
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts
[QUOTE="Xanog1"]

My copy runs fine.

magrappy

Im at Kvatch now i think, theres been tones of slow down and bad back ground loading. When you walk over a hill and a small set of trees loads later then its meant to. I don't think mine is 1 in a milion the one that doesn't run perfect, i think its more likely everyones running a little less perfect then they hoped but would hate to admit it. Is there any settings or anything people have changed to make it run better?

This isn't a PS3 issue, this is an Oblivion issue. Same thing happened with the PC version on even the best computers at highest settings. Maybe patches came out later to streamline it, but out of the box it was always like that. It's easy to overlook because the game is amazing, but it's always been a problem, and certainly isn't a PS3 exclusive problem.

magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 magrappy

[QUOTE="magrappy"]I got it today and to be honest it doesn't make the ps3 look amazing, the game is too detailed and the areas are too big, the ps3 i thought would run it smooth. I still see things loading up slower then they should, a lot of slow down, the only good thing ive noticed is good load times. Should the ps3 be running it better, how can we expect more from the ps3 when it stuggles with oblivion, or is oblivion just over the top?punisher2k8
you see loading is slower, but the good thing is load times????? you truly must be 12.

Load times as in when the oblivion screen comes up and a loading bar, that is faster. On screen in game loading of a few trees is some times slower and glichty, not even slower then on another system, just slower then if it was 100% perfect, doesn't happen much but does happen. As everyone else understood what i meant ill assume you just had to try a lash out at something or can't read to well.  From what everyone has said i see its a problem with the game and development rather then the ps3, even though most people had answers and where honest you all ways get a few people who try and flame any thing, it's a bit early for ps3 fan boys isn't it.

Kid_Grave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kid_Grave
indeed i believe that it is the game because when it starts making the glitch sound of death u know its gonna freeze (at least it gives a warning lol)
Drumachine7713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Drumachine7713
Member since 2005 • 94 Posts
Ok so I can't get the quote button to work today, weird. Anyways the poster who talked about transfer speed is right. What you don't mention is that it is a 2x drive on the PS3 and an 8x (if I remember right) on the 360. Adding those up the PS3 still comes out on top but it does take it longer to find what it needs to load. On a side note, Blu-ray is 20mbps faster than HD-DVD.
tdarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tdarn
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
i enjoy the ps3 version. my old roommate had it on 360 and it seemed like it was always freezing up and had longer load times. The ps3 version has slower load times at times, but still looks brighter and i believe plays better than it did on the 360. I'm glad they ported it over to the ps3.
Big_T-Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Big_T-Mac
Member since 2005 • 6973 Posts

nothing's perfect.  quit complaining.

and the 360 version is fine.

mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mmirza23
Member since 2004 • 3457 Posts

keep in mind it isnt the best graphics either...Oblivon doesnt run at 1080 it runs at 720mindfreak249211

1080 and 720 have nothing to do with the graphics, those are just resolutions 1080 would make things look sharper and cleaner than 720, the graphics in oblivion are some of the best ive seen on PS3, the game runs very well for a port I would have to say, ofcourse it cant be like resistance or motorstorm which were built specifically for the ps3 so you have to expect a few hiccups here and there also considering how massive this game is.

Yankee_In_TX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Yankee_In_TX
Member since 2007 • 732 Posts

Port... Even if they did put a lot of work on it it's nothing more than a port

plg2307

Amen.  I hate all the gripes and complaints.  I'll say it for the 500th time - there's not much praising or griping for either system until some more Next Gen exclusives are made.

bizzy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bizzy420
Member since 2005 • 2730 Posts
its called LOD, and distance drawing.  i ran it on a pretty  good pc when it first came out and it was the same thing.  the only difference i see, is the PS3 has brighter/vibrant colors.
partyboy219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 partyboy219
Member since 2004 • 33 Posts
u got remember they didnt make this game for the ps3 they just import it, they didnt work with cell
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20396 Posts

even on the best pc's the game can not run that great...

just enjoy the game dude instead of looking for issues with it............................;)

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts
There is slow down in this version but all versions have slowdown somewhere.  Even the PC without mods has slowdowns in some places.  The game is just glitchy but its so fun you just keep playing it.
shuttle1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shuttle1
Member since 2006 • 386 Posts

[QUOTE="magrappy"]I got it today and to be honest it doesn't make the ps3 look amazing, the game is too detailed and the areas are too big, the ps3 i thought would run it smooth. I still see things loading up slower then they should, a lot of slow down, the only good thing ive noticed is good load times. Should the ps3 be running it better, how can we expect more from the ps3 when it stuggles with oblivion, or is oblivion just over the top?punisher2k8

he means the surroundings are slow to load, but the loading between citys ect and teleporting are good

a-tek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 a-tek
Member since 2005 • 945 Posts
I don't notice any lag, but the framerate is still something to adapt to. The lighting effects are beautiful, as are the textures.
Trigun1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Trigun1
Member since 2003 • 793 Posts
[QUOTE="rockstar_88"]

Okay, look at it this way. Oblivions still loads faster than the 360 and the PC versions. The main problem with why the game may seem to have slow loading problems is the Blu-Ray format. It may have lots of storage capacity, but the main problem with Blu-Rays is that data transfer from the disc to the hardware is slower than with DVDs. The information is uncompressed, therefore it will take longer for the reader to find the information on the disc to find and read. The PS3 team that worked on Oblivion solved this loading problem by doing two things. The first one is a method used by other games, which is to save certain data onto the PS3 hard drive (which, along with that and one save file of Oblivion, will already eat up almost 10 GB of memory), while the other is to duplicate data across the disc so that the reader can find the information it is looking for easier.

You learned something new and cool today. :)

slinkysi

Before posting such patronising comments, perhaps yhou should check your facts. Blu-ray transfers data faster than DVD.

DVD - 10 MBS

BD - 48 MBS

http://panasonic.com.au/products/information.cfm?detailsID=283&contextID=11

You are wrong. "Sony announced that PS3 uses a 2x BD drive, which is 72Mbits/second or 9MB/second. The Xbox 360 uses a 12x DVD, which should give it about 16MB/second." If you read the article they talk about how to curb this problem. http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/1/17/6658
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#48 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts

"too detailed and the areas are too big" wow, i can't even respond to this.

PS2Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PS2Hawk
Member since 2003 • 4180 Posts

First you are worng, its not SLOW AT ALL however u have to play it for a while so the cache file is coppied to the HDD, its 4404 mb total in size and it saves while u play. And it takes a while to copy while you play there is no option to solely install it. After that its 10 times better than what it was on xbox360. I spent 200 hours over acourse of year on the 360 version and I recently sold my Collector's Edition to get the PS3 version and I must say its the best decision I made. Also the textures look better on ps3, much sharper but the ps3 versin has a little more jaggys!!

so play it for a while and after like half an hour or so it will start to eliminate loading!!!

risi37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 risi37
Member since 2005 • 4542 Posts
You haven't played Splinter Cell. KSD22
LOL true