Oblivion / Freezing problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Handin (423 posts) -
I bought my PS3 in December and I have used it quite frequently. I didn't have any problems till recently. I bought Oblivion about a week ago and within the past few days of playing it freezes up on me. It freezes up right as I try to instant travel or when its loading from one zone to another. I'm not sure of its the game or the PS3. I've heard that update 1.6 could possibly be the problem, but for some reason I doubt that. Anyone else having a similar problem? At first I thought maybe my PS3 wasn't getting enough cool air so I moved it. However, it keeps freezing on me while I'm playing oblivion. Just last night it froze on me 3 times and 2 times so far today. I haven't had any problems with other games (only have Oblivion, Untold Legends and a few demos though). I'm really concerned because I really enjoy playing my PS3 and can't afford to buy a new one. Do you think I should wait it out and see if it gets better or just send it to sony? Thanks for your time.
#2 Posted by Handin (423 posts) -
bump
#3 Posted by G-Legend (7330 posts) -

I think your best option is 2 send it back to Sony if ur havin problems with it.

#4 Posted by SOedipus (10309 posts) -
oblivion froze about 3 or 4 times on me, and it started after several hours of gameplay and it has always been during a loading sequence (whether i was on foot or just entering a new area) and i don't have any trouble with my other games (call of duty 3 and resistance) or demos either and i have heard of other people having freezing issues with oblivion as well, so i don't think it's your ps3.
#5 Posted by deadlypencil (455 posts) -

When that happened on the 360 version all you had to do was hold down the A button while loading up oblivion and it would fix it. holding down A cleared the hard drive cache out. 

#6 Posted by Dracus47 (476 posts) -

Its not your PS3 its the game.

ES games are notorious for being glitchy and freezing up every once in awhile.

I have it for the 360 and its dont it about 10 times. But I've had the game since January.

Maybe a patch will come out for it in the near future?

#7 Posted by acekall (3676 posts) -
I think its the game. he X360 version suffers from the same glitches
#8 Posted by Kman1086 (470 posts) -
why dont u try to use your controller to see if u can quit the game/turn off controller to see if its the game or system
#9 Posted by dEMOcrazy89 (25 posts) -
I'm also affected by this problem. When it freezes, there's nothing I can do really, but to force the console to turn off. Because it always happens while it's loading, the game has just recently made a quick save, at least.
#10 Posted by CosmoKing7717 (4602 posts) -
I would try do delete and redownload the 5 gigs of data it saves to your harddrive since the problems seem to primarily be when it's accessing this information. T.T dammit zombie thread gah...
#11 Posted by roboccs (7847 posts) -

Interesting... I was playing Oblivion last night and when i went to save it, it froze on the pause screen once I hit X to save it. I waited a few minutes and nothing. I then held the PS button on the controller and nothing so I had to shut it off in back. I would say my worries are no more then if everyone else has issues with Oblivion but I've also had it freeze on me playingMadden a few times; it freezes when the play ends and is going back to the select a play screen. Also, when I was playing the RE5 demo last friday it froze twice in a row during 2 different load screens. I'll keep my eye on it.

Does anyone know how Sony's warranty works? How long does it go for? Do they charge you to send it in?

#12 Posted by dEMOcrazy89 (25 posts) -
I regret this comment, must have been drunk or something, but I do have problems with the game, but it only occurs after several hours of play. The game freezes, the characters doesn't make any sound while speaking, or the sound is cut of right in the middle of a sentence....but only after like 10+ hours non stop playing, yeah it's addictive as hell...
#13 Posted by dEMOcrazy89 (25 posts) -
Spread the word! You might have heard of the glitch that hinders you from being cured from vampirism, when you give the two bloodgrass to the witch and she won't recognize the items. Save outside her house, and from the PS3 menu, change language to Deutsch (German), she will then recognize the "Blutgras" and you are not long from being cured! Awesome I think, this could never have been done in any other way
#14 Posted by biribis (301 posts) -

It's totally normal. My has frozen more than 10 times so far.

#15 Posted by superlobo (599 posts) -

It's normal. My first play character i played for 100 hours no freezing, then all of sudden it was freezing 2 or 3 times a day. I started a second file and put 35 hours or so and I had about 2 freezes. It's common and I think it depends on the PS3 and the player (how long you play at a time).I've started a third file and put about 40 hours and no freezes ( shrugging my shoulders) so it's random I guess.

#16 Posted by canoecamue (709 posts) -
I bought my PS3 in December and I have used it quite frequently. I didn't have any problems till recently. I bought Oblivion about a week ago and within the past few days of playing it freezes up on me. It freezes up right as I try to instant travel or when its loading from one zone to another. I'm not sure of its the game or the PS3. I've heard that update 1.6 could possibly be the problem, but for some reason I doubt that. Anyone else having a similar problem? At first I thought maybe my PS3 wasn't getting enough cool air so I moved it. However, it keeps freezing on me while I'm playing oblivion. Just last night it froze on me 3 times and 2 times so far today. I haven't had any problems with other games (only have Oblivion, Untold Legends and a few demos though). I'm really concerned because I really enjoy playing my PS3 and can't afford to buy a new one. Do you think I should wait it out and see if it gets better or just send it to sony? Thanks for your time.Handin
Its not your sony, its Oblivion. Fallout/Oblivion are the only 2 games that freeze for me, and are quite known for it.
#17 Posted by daniel72200113 (25 posts) -
i have 400+ hours of gameplay on oblivion. I have been using eight save slots. However, I used them all on one dungeon. And when i was trounced by a troll, i tried to load one of the save slots, but to no avail. what can i do? i'm playing this on my ps3.