noobish online question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

siferalmazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#1 siferalmazy
Member since 2005 • 3060 Posts

does the ps3 have to be hooked up to a computer or can it be hooked up to a wireless router? if it can be hooked up to a router, what kind of router do you need/suggest?

siferalmazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 siferalmazy

bump

dsmusician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dsmusician
Member since 2004 • 275 Posts
any wireless router will do. if you have the 20 gig model you wont have a the wifi hardware in the system.
Shaqneel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Shaqneel
Member since 2006 • 1413 Posts
Ok well the ps3 has a wifi chip so it can detect and use wireless networks from routers to connect to the internet, so it really doesn't need to be hooked up to a wireless router to use the internet. It does not need to be hooked up to a computer to use the internet either. If you don't want to use a wireless router, than i suppose a wired router, any type would be good. All you would need then is to connect your ps3 via ethernet cable to the wired router and you can use the internet that way as well. Essentially, the two ways ps3 can connect are wifi and ethernet cable to a broadband source. Hope i could help.
hondaquadsrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hondaquadsrule
Member since 2007 • 120 Posts
You can get a router at any computer/electronics store, mine is a netgear wpn824 which works great. You need a quality connection to game online and I don't see why Spain would be any different.
siferalmazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 siferalmazy

Ok well the ps3 has a wifi chip so it can detect and use wireless networks from routers to connect to the internet, so it really doesn't need to be hooked up to a wireless router to use the internet. It does not need to be hooked up to a computer to use the internet either. If you don't want to use a wireless router, than i suppose a wired router, any type would be good. All you would need then is to connect your ps3 via ethernet cable to the wired router and you can use the internet that way as well. Essentially, the two ways ps3 can connect are wifi and ethernet cable to a broadband source. Hope i could help.Shaqneel

so, i don't need to hook it up to a wireless router? can the rounter just be hooked to the computer and it'll work?

siferalmazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 siferalmazy
bump
dennmann29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dennmann29
Member since 2004 • 128 Posts

Yes, as long as it is the 60gb model.

guyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 guyhunter
Member since 2004 • 3691 Posts
TC do you even know what a router is?

The PS3 60 GB model comes with both wired and wireless network hardware.  So you can either run it via your wireless router, hook it up to your wired routers switch, or use a network cable and hook it up to a free network point on a computer you are sharing the internet from.

The 20 GB on the other hand only supports wired networking.

As for suggestions for a good router check out the Linksys WRT54G* range. 
Phillyboys82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Phillyboys82
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I got wireless. My computer is upstairs and I have a Wireless-G Broadband Router. Costs like 70-120 at bestbuy depending on where you live. It works very well and it doesnt lag if you have a good internet service its very good.