No Wonder VITA Still Fails

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Creative
Member since 2002 • 2522 Posts

Got Vita last year with 4 games. It's a very good system and I enjoyed it for a while. Once I ran out of games to play (not into PSP and Mini) I shelved the system. 

Yesterday I charged the Vita, updated it and went to Best Buy to buy Killzone. After around 5 minutes of looking around gaming section for Vita games I had no choice but to ask the sales associate where the Vita section was to which I got "It's right there in corner, but you won't find much there". He was right, there were around 7 games (none of the new releases). 

Luckily for me there was Toys R Us right next door. Same story, after around 5 minutes of looking through gaming section of store I had no choice but to ask for Vita section to which I got similar reply "It's in that corner under the TV". Yet again store stocked around 8 outdated titles, to their credit Killzone was soldout, as opposed to not being stocked at all. 

Since I wanted to check out Killzone I ended up heading to local Gamestop across the town. 

At this point Vita has several solid titles (personally I want to pick up at least 2-4 more games), but no one knows about it, because no one stocks Vita games at all. 

Sony should get off their asses, get better placement in stores and force them to stock majority of the titles (not just 8 outdated games). 

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
I don't even bother with physical copies since I sit with the exact same dilemma here, surprisingly enough the store I work at actually stocks a decent amount of Vita titles (Killzone included)... but no one ever buys any since, well, there's only like me and one other person in this country that probably has one.
Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

I remember reading an article a while ago saying something along the lins of like 60% of the vita sales are digital. So over half of the sales for a system that could be selling better (at least in the U.S.) are digital, does not give stores much incentive to have a large stock.

I have around 30 games and only about 4 of them are physical copies.

Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Creative
Member since 2002 • 2522 Posts

Digital sales are good and all, but Sony needs to let people know Vita is still alive and kicking.

I resufse to pay nearly x4 of what it should cost for the memory card, that's simple nicke and diming. 16GB card is $10, not $40. 

MetalHead888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 MetalHead888
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

thats great and all.....but you cant demand any company that they have to sell your product. if something doesnt sell, why bother with it?

i love the vita.... and there are good games, but you really have to do some research to find them. playstation plus has been keeping me busy (and happy) with the free games being handed to me every month. but theres the kicker.....now u have to buy a $100 memory card. it's far too expensive...but its the best option for gaming on the go.

ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

Vita became a mostly digital platform. Probably because the games are max 3.3Gb, which makes them more attractive to download and means no game card swapping.

You can still get physical very easily if you order online. But retail shops have every few games. (Buying online is cheaper anyway)

ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

thats great and all.....but you cant demand any company that they have to sell your product. if something doesnt sell, why bother with it?

i love the vita.... and there are good games, but you really have to do some research to find them. playstation plus has been keeping me busy (and happy) with the free games being handed to me every month. but theres the kicker.....now u have to buy a $100 memory card. it's far too expensive...but its the best option for gaming on the go.

MetalHead888

You dont really need a big card, just make a backup of every game to the PC with the content manager, that way you can move games to the vita easily, never losing the backup in the PC.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Placement is determined by retail demand forecasting. 

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Try finding a retail PC game..........

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

[QUOTE="MetalHead888"]

ManatuBeard

You dont really need a big card, just make a backup of every game to the PC with the content manager, that way you can move games to the vita easily, never losing the backup in the PC.

And that, in my opinion, is unbearably idiotic. The single biggest problem for Vita in my opinion. Why can't I just back up the save files only like with PSP games?
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#11 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
The single biggest problem for Vita in my opinion. Why can't I just back up the save files only like with PSP games?funsohng
I cannot agree more with this. It's absurd that I have to back up the entire game just to have a copy of my save. Delete the game to save space on the Vita without backing it up...save's gone. It's absurd. I think even the 3DS has a way to back up saves, though it's not exactly the most streamlined affair.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Or you could have just pre-ordered it online at any of those stores and have the game delievered to you on release day, for free. Storefront retail is in decline, and it's little wonder that major retailers cut back on their inventory.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#14 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Stores wont make much room for what doesnt sell.

And Sony needs to get off it's ass and promote the damn thing. The recent price drop didnt even make the sales numbers spike at all.

I dont think the average consumer cares you can use it as a PS4 controller. They will go into a store, see the incredibly small Vita endcap and think it is on it's way to the clearance section since it doesnt even have dedicated real shelf space. 

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
Any system can be lacking in games to someone. 3ds has less for me than vita. I also buy my games from psn. I have 10 games so far with a 32gb, soon a 64gb
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

I am never going to buy a Vita.

The games interest me, but I am never going to sit down and play a several hour long campaign game on a handheld... And any other game outside of those I will play on other platforms (shooters on consoles, quick puzzle games/platformers on phone...).  I literally have no interest in a vita outside of the software (which while interesting to me, is not a selling point alone) and I am never getting one because of that.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

I am never going to buy a Vita.

The games interest me, but I am never going to sit down and play a several hour long campaign game on a handheld... And any other game outside of those I will play on other platforms (shooters on consoles, quick puzzle games/platformers on phone...).  I literally have no interest in a vita outside of the software (which while interesting to me, is not a selling point alone) and I am never getting one because of that.

Squeets
Nothing wrong with that, I have about as much interest in home systems these days as you do portables. I played home systems for years and got bored.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Best Buy is not the place to go for Vita games, or really any game that isn't super popular.  Really, for most things Best Buy is not the way to go these days, but yes, it would have been nice if the Best Buy I went to had enough copies to not sell out the first day they got KZ (I'm assuming they may have gotten 5 at most).

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#19 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"]The single biggest problem for Vita in my opinion. Why can't I just back up the save files only like with PSP games?DJ_Lae
I cannot agree more with this. It's absurd that I have to back up the entire game just to have a copy of my save. Delete the game to save space on the Vita without backing it up...save's gone. It's absurd.

Wow. That's awful. I didn't even know about this. One more reason to buy the retail copies. I just get mine online, never had trouble finding anything.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Amazon and Newegg. Retailers don't stock Vita games because nobody buys them, and their shelf space is limited. They want to put things people actually care about on the shelves. Sad but true.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#21 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Wow. That's awful. I didn't even know about this. One more reason to buy the retail copies. I just get mine online, never had trouble finding anything.

logicalfrank
I think it might be possible to bypass this now that the Vita supports cloud saves with PS+, but I haven't tried it yet. I should, I want to delete Gravity Rush but I don't want to lose my save for it.
Nickprovs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Nickprovs
Member since 2008 • 1199 Posts

The target I work at had copies of KZ: Mercenary on the floor the day it came out. The PS Vita's lineup may be looking grim with Pokemon on the 3DS's horizon. But after that, both handhelds are in desperate need of new announcments.

The 3DS has Super Smash Bros, potentially, in the future. But after having a look, there's not much else I think they have in store that will sell like hotcakes. The vita has tearaway, and a few other lesser-hyped titles, but really, both consoles need some updates to their game line-up.

I highly doubt many people will actually buy the Vita just for remote play, when SONY has previously announced remote play for other devices. So they're going to have to make some kind of move in the games department if they want to keep the Vita's fire aflame. 

mikeB2228

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mikeB2228
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I love my Vita.
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

I work at a local gameshop, there just isn't alot out for the vita, we have pretty much every game released and a few accessories and its still only about a 4 foot by 4 foot space on the wall.

EDIT: alot out physically there are a ton of great games on PSN, i hope they end up putting the Atelier games on a cart..

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#26 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
The games are mostly on PSN Store, i got 10 games for my vita that i just downloaded and installed on my Vita when i bought it. I didn't have any problem with that
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

If it wasn't for P4G and PSP BC I'd have sold my Vita long ago. There just aren't enough interesting Vita games out there for me. I hope that changes sometime in the future.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Amazon and Newegg. Retailers don't stock Vita games because nobody buys them, and their shelf space is limited. They want to put things people actually care about on the shelves. Sad but true.famicommander

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

DJ_Lae

I think it might be possible to bypass this now that the Vita supports cloud saves with PS+, but I haven't tried it yet. I should, I want to delete Gravity Rush but I don't want to lose my save for it.

Yeah, you can backup saves to the cloud. However you won't be able to access those using the PS3, you have to do it on the Vita. Thought I had a workaround to getting my Vita save of Dragon's crown to the PS3 without needing the disk but no dice.

Anyways, I buy everything digitally for my Vita so couldn't care less what happens to retail sales.

Steel_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Steel_God
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

DJ_Lae

Personally I just store my games on my computer with the saves. Makes it a lot faster when I want to swap the games on my vita and makes my 16 gb memory quite viable.
sundown19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sundown19
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts

[QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

[QUOTE="MetalHead888"]

funsohng

And that, in my opinion, is unbearably idiotic. The single biggest problem for Vita in my opinion. Why can't I just back up the save files only like with PSP games?

Hey, funsohng. All this Vita talk aside, it was your sig that made me research, order, and watch Orphan Black.

THANK YOU.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

sundown19

Hey, funsohng. All this Vita talk aside, it was your sig that made me research, order, and watch Orphan Black.

THANK YOU.

No sir, thank YOU! More Orphan Black lover is always a good thing for the humanity.