#1 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

This doesn't happen often, but once in a while when I turn on my PS4, the home screen will start up and there will be no sound in any applications I open (I usually know when it's going to happen because I won't hear the PS4 theme music in the beginning). I then have to reboot my system to make the sound reappear.

Does anyone else have this problem? Again, it's not all the time, and it's been happening since I had the PS4 and hasn't gone away with any of the updates.

#2 Edited by 10854 (116 posts) -

@jasean79: I have had this too a couple of times thought it was my t.v.

What I've done that works without rebooting is switching the source on my t.v. So on my remote i just press souce and it chnages to hdmi 2 and then again I press source to gets back to hdmi 1 (which is what I play ps4 on) and works.

Hope an one of the future update fixes it...

#3 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

@10854 said:

What I've done that works without rebooting is switching the source on my t.v. So on my remote i just press souce and it chnages to hdmi 2 and then again I press source to gets back to hdmi 1 (which is what I play ps4 on) and works.

thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that. so, you think the sound may have to do with the HDMI connection?

#4 Edited by 10854 (116 posts) -

Cool. Hope it works.

No idea but for whatever reason it works when i do it. At first I just switched off t.v and on again but doesn't always work. Then I tried the source and it seems to do the trick.

#5 Posted by Terrencec06 (4018 posts) -

@10854: @jasean79: I just thought I had a broken PS4, Mine does it every once in a while. Maybe once a month.

#6 Posted by dalger21 (2081 posts) -

Mine does it from time to time too. Hasn't happened since I started using headphones with my PS4 tho and it's been over a month since I switched.

#7 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -

Sometimes I have to unplug hdmi and plug back it for sound to come back.

#8 Posted by Terrencec06 (4018 posts) -

Looks like I'll need to report this to PS.

#9 Posted by i-rock-socks (3826 posts) -

happens to me every once in a while. my headphones still get sound tho

#10 Posted by Niner0 (1630 posts) -

I just had this happen with my PS3...

#11 Posted by 10854 (116 posts) -

@Niner0: Maybe it's morphing into a PS4 :D

Avatar image for littlestreakier
#12 Posted by littlestreakier (2950 posts) -

This happens to me every now and then. I normally put my PS4 in standby mode when it happens and turn it on again. I will try switching the source on my TV and turning it back next time this happens. Thanks for the tip

#13 Posted by Brh_7 (25 posts) -

Hi guys, thought I would become a member just to post this as I think I might have found the source of this problem, at least for some (including me). As when reading this thread I had a bit of a realisation. @i-rock-socks said you still get audio to the headphones, so do I, and they are connected via optical cable while the TV is via HDMI, like most are I assume. I tend to turn my playstation on followed by my TV, and dependent on how long this takes me, I get the no audio problem (from the TV).

So, my theory is, that the playstation doesn't output sound to the TV as it only picks up the headphone output on startup, as the TV isn't on yet. The trick is, turn on your TV first!

#14 Posted by HitmanActual (966 posts) -

@10854 said:

Mine is exactly the same. Happened again a few days ago actually so this time instead of rebooting I turned my TV off then back on and that worked as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
#15 Posted by deactivated-58270bc086e0d (2317 posts) -

@jasean79: Yeah same made me a little twitchy the first time it did it. I hope it isn't an issue like the HDMI port is failing or something. Always a worry with a new console that you will get something go wrong after only a year or so.

#16 Edited by Terrencec06 (4018 posts) -

@jasean79: Took me a minute but I figured it out. Any time I turn on my ps4 first and then my tv, the sound doesn't work.

#17 Posted by mercedesw05 (25 posts) -

My ps4 does this from time to time but today it happened and I have done everything I can to get the sound back without success so first thing Monday morning I shall be on the phone to Sony console less than 1 year

#18 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

Yep same thing happens to me from time to time. What works for me, is turning on the TV first then the PS4.

#19 Posted by MondasM (1762 posts) -

it seems that this is an hdmi handshake issue, i have it from time to time on my denon receiver with apple tv, where i do not get sound and video through and have to boot them up again... :)

#20 Posted by sukraj (27808 posts) -

@Niner0 said:

I just had this happen with my PS3...

my ps3 doesn't work anymore I don't even think its worth getting it repaired.

#21 Edited by Kasreilly (6 posts) -

I would just like to say THANK YOU SO FREAKING MUCH for posting on this thread, especially Brh_7 , because I thought I broke my husband's PlayStation 4... I could not figure out why it wasn't working! As soon as I turned my tv off, my playstation off, and then turned them both back on (TV first) I had no problem! Made a profile just so I could say thanks!

#22 Posted by mandrew1 (6 posts) -

None of the solutions listed worked for me. I run my PS4 through a receiver, with surround speakers, then to an LED Sony flatscreen.

However, I have found a solution, and it has worked roughly 30 times out of 30. Figure out a pattern to turn on your system that works, and stick to it EVERY TIME. In my case, it's receiver first for a count of five, TV second, same count, then console. Once everything is up and running, I'll turn on the subwoofer. Call it mildly OCD, but it work. YMMV, but find what works for yours and do it consistently.

I had called Sony tech support on four occasions, and was ready to mail mine back to them under warranty, with no guarantee of getting back the same console. This was unacceptable, and I took others advice about the HDMI connection being "off", and a timed, linear chain of operation seems to work. Hope it works for you.

#23 Posted by Batezy (6 posts) -

I had this problem and I believe it's to do with the smart hdmi function on ur TV controlling the ps4. I turned off all the 'eco' settings and it worked perfectlly

#24 Edited by Yeah43Ninjas (1 posts) -

Yeah, I had this exact same problem. I tried all of these solutions and nothing seemed to work. I turned my Ps4 back on and I was like, "hey, maybe I'll just turn up my volume" and so I did... My volume was at 0 that whole time. So, note to self and anyone else: make sure the volume is turned up.

#25 Posted by Johnny_Rock (40211 posts) -

@10854 said:

Yup, switching the source from PS4 back to tv and then again to PS4 usually fixes it for me too.

#27 Posted by Chris_53 (5498 posts) -

My PS4 has starting having audio drop outs. Sometimes it's just choppy (in and out), other times it cuts out for several seconds.

I don't think these systems were built to last

#28 Edited by Bawwwllz (1 posts) -

I also had to make an account just to comment on this.. I can confirm that turning the TV off and on, or on BEFORE my PS4 fixes my no sound problem. I thought I was going crazy... THANK YOU!!

#29 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1980 posts) -

@yeah43ninjas said:

Yeah, I had this exact same problem. I tried all of these solutions and nothing seemed to work. I turned my Ps4 back on and I was like, "hey, maybe I'll just turn up my volume" and so I did... My volume was at 0 that whole time. So, note to self and anyone else: make sure the volume is turned up.

Lmao

#30 Posted by Chuy8045 (1 posts) -

Or you can just go to the Quick Menu, go to Sound/Devices, go to Output to Headphones and then click on Chat Audio instead of having it on All Audio. Problem Solved. 🖒

#32 Posted by Johnny_Rock (40211 posts) -

@10854 said:

That's what always fixes it for me as well.

#34 Posted by el_liom (1 posts) -

Just wanted to add, becuase this just happened to me, and i tried everything and nothing worked. So then I tried to do my own troubleshooting and I went through ps4 settings and went to sound and screen, then video output settings and for deep color output, I had set mine to automatic so I switched it to off and now I have audio again! So to experiment I turned it back to automatic and I still had audio, so tbh idk if i got lucky, but more then likely when I switched that setting it forced the ps4 to respring or reboot and audio came back. Id figure I should make a profile for here just to add another possible solution. Good luck everyone.

#35 Edited by Randomdadtlk (1 posts) -

I feel likeban idiot. LMAO i sat here and did all u guys suggested. And all failed, come to find out my tv volume was all the way down. Lol

#36 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4485 posts) -

@randomdadtlk: Nice. Lol

#37 Posted by GTR12 (13254 posts) -

No-one gives a sh1t, this thread is 4 years old.