No "firmware" on my PS3, can't update anything

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

I bought a new drive for my PS3 today and I put it in just like everyone says to do, but my system will not work still.

OK, I hope this better explains things...

Yesterday, I was getting an error message on my PS3. I borrowed a friends PS3 and put my drive in his, and then back into mine and it worked fine. But, when I put his drive back in his PS3 it will not work. I keep getting the message that it needs to be formatted with version 2.10. I downloaded to my computer and put on a flash drive and then into the PS3 but it says it can't find the memory stick. I can not figure out what to do next. I actually went out and bought a new 80 gig SATA 2.5 hdd and same problem, works in my PS3 but not in the other one. It seems like maybe I stripped the OS system if it has one. I now have 2 HDs that both work in my PS3 but neither of them will work in his, even the brand new one. It had to be something about mine being in his, I think...maybe? And, I don't know how important it is but...the PS3 makes me use the controller with the USB cord attached. Will not work wirelessly.

I have been looking around and it seems that there is no "firmware" on his PS3 and because it won't see the flash drive I can't load the update. I can not get to main screen to even try and find the files that way. I have not seen this problem anywhere on here after doing what I did.

Please help

#2 Posted by The_Rick_14 (9945 posts) -

You're gonna need to give us some more info for us to help you out.

#6 Posted by Bruce_McGivern (1667 posts) -
Is it a SATA Drive?
#7 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -
yes, SATA 2.5. I took the drive from my PS3 with me when I bought it.
#9 Posted by theycallmeryan (7222 posts) -
I think you might have to call Sony and/or buy a new PS3.
#10 Posted by hofuldig (5099 posts) -

I think you might have to call Sony and/or buy a new PS3.theycallmeryan

iv allready told this person that like 2 or 3 times and they wont listen >_<

#11 Posted by moshakirby18 (1665 posts) -
Have you pit the firmware in the correct folder directories on the flash drive?
#12 Posted by ktrotter11 (1140 posts) -
yea u mite wanna put the files in the correct root and subfolders....r why not just connect it to the net and let it update itself?? if you can
#13 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

I put the files in the right folders..it will not recognize my flash drive. Yes, he/she has told me that once before and I am listening but, I want to make sure there is nothing else I can do before I go spend that much money again. I can't go online from the PS3 because I can't get to the start menu/page whatever you call it.

I am wondering if I can hook the drive up to my pc and download it from there maybe.

Thanks

#14 Posted by hofuldig (5099 posts) -

I put the files in the right folders..it will not recognize my flash drive. Yes, he/she has told me that once before and I am listening but, I want to make sure there is nothing else I can do before I go spend that much money again. I can't go online from the PS3 because I can't get to the start menu/page whatever you call it.

I am wondering if I can hook the drive up to my pc and download it from there maybe.

Thanks

BlondeOne2

the only hope you have is to call sony... Thos are the only people who even have a chance with helping you.

#15 Posted by lyndonAPI (2793 posts) -
Your friend is going to have to contact Sony- sounds like they will have to look at it themselves and repair/ replace it. On the plus side, this way is cheaper than buying a whole new system ($150 compared to $400) if out of warranty.
#16 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

I talked to my friend again to ask about the warranty before I call Sony and he has no idea where his receipt might be...LOL

Just my luck.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to try and help me!!

#17 Posted by choasgod (5710 posts) -
Have you tried putting the firmware update onto a CD?

Other than that what is the exact message you get because the firmware should be stored in the flash/EEPROM...

( ohh and why were you swapping the HDD's between PS3's... dosn't it format the new drive anyway? )
#18 Posted by mbrockway (3559 posts) -

Your folder structure should be:

G:/PS3/UPDATE/ps3updat.pup

The G is just the drive label.

#19 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

Have you tried putting the firmware update onto a CD?

Other than that what is the exact message you get because the firmware should be stored in the flash/EEPROM...

( ohh and why were you swapping the HDD's between PS3's... dosn't it format the new drive anyway? )
choasgod

I was getting an error message that the drive was damaged or corrupted and came on here and read a bunch of posts that the way to fix it was put it in another PS3, format it and then put it back in mine and reformat it and it would not reformat that way so I bought a new HD and that one works fine. Then I put my friends HD back in his PS3 and these are the error messages that I am now getting. These are word for word.

When I turn it on it says..."Connect the controller using a usb cable, and then press the PS button." I do that and get this..."The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try and restart the system" (I do that and it brings me back to this screen again.)

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard drive must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software. Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.10 or later, and then press the START and SELECT bittons at the same time."

When I do that with my flash drive in it says it cannot find the media.

No, I have not tried a cd yet because I can't get past this page.

#20 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

mbrockway

Should the ps3updat.pup be lowercase like that because mine were caps?

#21 Posted by mbrockway (3559 posts) -
[QUOTE="mbrockway"]

BlondeOne2

Should the ps3updat.pup be lowercase like that because mine were caps?

I keep a copy of the latest firmware on my keychain flashdrive, and its lowercase. I guess thats how it was when I downloaded. Seems like it shouldn't matter though. Might as well try it both ways to see.

*Edit Looks like its all caps on the Sony page. I guess it doesn't matter since I used the flash drive to update last time.

#22 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -
Going to try right now...with the lowercase and see what happens
#23 Posted by cenai (25 posts) -
Maybe you need to format your flashmemory to FAT32 and not NTSF. And then put in your files to the memory stick or whatever you are using.
#24 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

Maybe you need to format your flashmemory to FAT32 and not NTSF. And then put in your files to the memory stick or whatever you are using.cenai

OK, how do I do that?

This is the message I get when I put in the flash drive....No applicable update was found. Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.10 or later, then press start and select buttons at the same time.

I have tried updates 2.10 and 2.36 both downloaded from sony.

#25 Posted by mbrockway (3559 posts) -
Plug it in your computer usb port, right click the drive in My Computer, then click format. It should give you options there.
#26 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

I tried 3 times i get the message..Windows was unable to complete the format.

I think the hotline for sony opens soon. I just don't know what else to try except hooking the HD externally to my pc and hope it takes. Like I have said, I have read 9000 posts(says my profile) and have not seen this problem yet.

I just don't understand either why it messed his up by putting my old on it his. could it have given his a virus or something?

#27 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

I found this.

PERFICT SOLUTION FOR "The hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored" Hi every one, I'm new here and this is my first post :). I experienced this problem before, it's very easy to solve and you don't need to send your PS3 console back to be fixed, you can fix it in your own and in just few minutes.

This problem always happen when you switch off your console while it is saving data or reading data from the HDD, so your HDD file system damaged, in order to solve this problem you need an external SATA 2.5 hard disk case, extract your PS3 hard drive and insert it in the SATA 2.5 case, plug your hard dist to a computer, you will find that the whale hard disk is unallocated, so format it with FAT32 or NTFS using your computer, after that return your hard disk to your PS3 console, now, your PS3 console will recognize it, and it will ask you to format it, say YES!!... congratulation your PS3 console is working now :D

BUT REMEMBER THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA IN THE HARD DISK INCLUDING YOUR SAVES, IMAGES, MOVIES AND ALL YOUR STUFF

keeko28
#28 Posted by nickkcin10 (820 posts) -

mbrockway
has to be in CAPS too
#29 Posted by mbrockway (3559 posts) -
[QUOTE="mbrockway"]

*Edit Looks like its all caps on the Sony page. I guess it doesn't matter since I used the flash drive to update last time.

nickkcin10

has to be in CAPS too

Way to cut that out of my post. Make you feel better about yourself?

It looks like your flash drive is messed up. Did that other thing work TC?

#30 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

I tried, when I tried to format to FAT32 after it told me no, I did a quick format and it did that nad I put the file and both folders in all caps. I am thinking a quick format didn't really work if the long(?) format didn't work. It does format to FAT just fine though.

That is how my luck is the last few days. LOL. I did read somewhere that not all flashdrives work in the PS3s. I think I might look into that some more.

#31 Posted by mbrockway (3559 posts) -

Do you have any SD cards or usb hard drives? It'll work off any of those.

*Edit An mp3 player would probably work too if you have one.

#32 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

I saw that you wrote that about sony's page, I tried all caps and all lowercase, niether worked...of course.

Of course my flash drive is messed up..lol. Fits the rest of the machines around here.

I have to buy the thing that you put the 2.5 drive into and then you hook that up to a USB port. I think it may be a pretty cool thing to have though. Makes the 2.5 internal drive an external drive so, if I upgrade my PS3 from 80 to 120gigs later I can have another 80 hooked up to my computer. Bottom line spending $140-150 compared to $450 is good. :)

#33 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -
No, I am cheap and bought the 40gig so I don't have a SD slot on mine. If I had done more research I would have waited and got the 80 instead. But I HAD to have it that day. I am a girl, want it want it now, Plus it was the cheapest blu-ray at the time. I watch alot of movies.
#34 Posted by mbrockway (3559 posts) -
A 2.5" sata drive will fit in a 3.5" sata external enclosure if you happen to have one of those laying around.
#35 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

My brother might. Would it have the cords I need to then?

I have not had any of the other problems I have seen on here either before this has happened i.e. slowing or freezing of games. I finally went online wirelessly and played for a bit and then turned it off. Always from controller or front first and then the switch in back. Later I went to play and it all started then.

#36 Posted by mbrockway (3559 posts) -
Both size sata drives have the exact same connector. It should just slide right into the external's chassis. It'll go into a desktop computer too, you just gotta make sure to plug in the sata power to it since the connector probably won't be 1 piece like it would in an external or laptop.
#37 Posted by BlondeOne2 (32 posts) -

I started thinking about my flash drive being bad so I reinstalled it and then reformatted. First time it said no, so I did it again and it worked. So then I redownloaded the software from sony and put it into the PS3 and guess what?, it is now FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not thank you enough for taking the time to help me. And, you taught me a few things I didn't know and that is always cool. You are forever one of my bestfriends now. LOL :D

And for the guy who kept telling me that I just had to buy a new one...there you go. Fixed. Didn't even have to call sony.

#38 Posted by mbrockway (3559 posts) -
Glad its fixed!
#40 Posted by Skillzo_o (25 posts) -

I bought a new drive for my PS3 today and I put it in just like everyone says to do, but my system will not work still.

OK, I hope this better explains things...

Yesterday, I was getting an error message on my PS3. I borrowed a friends PS3 and put my drive in his, and then back into mine and it worked fine. But, when I put his drive back in his PS3 it will not work. I keep getting the message that it needs to be formatted with version 2.10. I downloaded to my computer and put on a flash drive and then into the PS3 but it says it can't find the memory stick. I can not figure out what to do next. I actually went out and bought a new 80 gig SATA 2.5 hdd and same problem, works in my PS3 but not in the other one. It seems like maybe I stripped the OS system if it has one. I now have 2 HDs that both work in my PS3 but neither of them will work in his, even the brand new one. It had to be something about mine being in his, I think...maybe? And, I don't know how important it is but...the PS3 makes me use the controller with the USB cord attached. Will not work wirelessly.

I have been looking around and it seems that there is no "firmware" on his PS3 and because it won't see the flash drive I can't load the update. I can not get to main screen to even try and find the files that way. I have not seen this problem anywhere on here after doing what I did.

Please help

BlondeOne2
WOW i have actually found a person with the same probleme as me. The only variattion is its a 320gig sata, and i have already installed the OS or XMB on my HD. It gives me the same screen when you start it up and im wondering why when i have already been through installing process. It wont read my USB either im thinking its a prboleme with the HD since i have already done this and yes i know how to put updates on my PS3 with a Flash Drive so dont leave a comment about that or about sending it to sony when my HD that came with it works fine and sony probably wont do fix anything because the probleme migt be the HD in the first place.