Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Pokkinz

Poll Nioh or Dark Souls 3 (53 votes)

Nioh 34%
Dark Souls 3 66%

I'm thinking about buying either Dark Souls 3 or Nioh. Which one is better?

• 
Khazrak134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 Khazrak134
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

Dark Souls 3.

Nioh is a good game, but there are a lot of "buts". its a good game, but the enemy types are very limited. Its a good game but the level design is very maze like.

Furthermore, I feel like the loot system in Nioh is kinda over done. theres too much of it, and its too similar to each other. I also feel like the game is a bit too long, it really started to feel like a grind about half way through, and I really had to force myself to complete it, and when i did, i didnt get the sense of satisfaction that i do with most games, i just thought to myself "well thats done and dealt with". I felt like the Japanese setting wasnt shown off enough. In Dark Souls, and Bloodborne, youre presented with these amazing set pieces and levels that make the world feel grand. But in Nioh it was very constricted, there were only a couple times where i marveled at the world where as in Dark Souls 3 it happens all the time, as you turn a corner to a new area.

I also felt like Nioh missed the point with the difficulty. I felt like some of the bosses and enemies were difficult, for the sake of being difficult. In Dark Souls most bosses's attacks have a warm up phase and you can react accordingly, if you dont avoid the attack it was on you because you messed up. In Nioh that doesnt happen, very often you feel lucky for avoiding attacks, so the boss fights feel like too much is down to chance. In dark souls the Bosses have lore and story to them, but in nioh they dont, or atleast very few dont, so they feel like they are just planted there to be the end of the level bad guy.

The way the world was set up in Nioh didnt really work for me. I much preferred the connected world of Dark Souls 3, which wasnt as connected as Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne. Nioh isnt as lore rich as Dark Souls 3 or the other Dark Souls games, so the world sometimes feels shallow.

May I recommend Bloodborne as another game to check out?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11655 Posts

Nioh plays and feels like a Ninja Gaiden game. It has RPG elements, but don't let that fool you! Nioh handles closer to the fast paced action Team Ninja is known for; over the more tactical Soul games. Level design as well is a lot like the 3D Ninja Gaidens, linear with some off-paths based in locked maps. Nioh itself has a ton of content. Hectic, frantic but always gives you a chance. Yet demanding fast reactions from the player.

Dark Souls III is the best of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls with the engine of Bloodborne, resulting in a more complete and well made game than any of Froms previous works. Combat feels good and quicker than previous games in the series. It has a ton of easter-eggs from past games that fans both love and hate. Speaking of love and hate/ It changes a few elements like magic, poise and healing/ and many loud nostalgic gamers didn't like these changes yet works in DkSIIIs favor.

Result- if you can't get the Fire Fades edition? I would recommend holding off DkSIII for a bit longer. It is worth getting the DLC content. The Ringed City and the main boss fight in Ashes of Ariandel are big highlights.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

Bloodborne

k00lenkrazey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k00lenkrazey
Member since 2016 • 96 Posts

While not the best in the series, I think Dark Souls 3 offers better value than Nioh in terms of setting variety, polish, and gameplay.

Khazrak134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Khazrak134

@nirogol said:

Bloodborne

yes. If youre looking beyond Nioh and DS3, then Bloodborne should definitely be given a shot

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

Nioh is a good game - very solid, great combat system, wonderful atmosphere. But it's highly, highly repetitive. I got bored of it about halfway through. Dark Souls 3 is a great game with an excellent combat system and a great deal more level and enemy variety on offer. It's biggest fault is its lore, which is an utter mess, but this shouldn't worry you if you aren't deeply into Dark Souls lore.

Of course, as others have said here, you can go one better and nab Bloodborne (especially if you can get it with The Old Hunters DLC). I think that's a far better game than the other two, if it's an option for you.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ

@djura said:

Of course, as others have said here, you can go one better and nab Bloodborne (especially if you can get it with The Old Hunters DLC). I think that's a far better game than the other two, if it's an option for you.

Disagree. Dark Souls III is arguably a better RPG than Bloodborne, with DLC on par with The Old Hunters (The Ringed City). Also with much better multiplayer functions, and overall variety, may that be in area variety, builds, and enemies.

While Bloodborne does have the most remarkable combat that feel o'so'satisfying over other FROM games, DkSIII doesn't fall far behind. Yet BB is the more detailed game-world as well.

As a result I would say BB is a flawed product, that when it's good? Is in a league of its own. For what it gets right however, it comes across as more an Action game than a RPG.

While DkSIII does little wrong yet doesn't do anything groundbreaking, feeling like a safe sequel to DkS, DeS, and BB. However stats matter, it's a true continuation to DkS, and does it really well.

As much as I like Nioh. Dark Souls III and Bloodborne are better games, but those two are too close to call which is better, It depends what you're after but I would grab both if possible.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i lile both of them i prefer dark souls 3

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Between DS3 and Bloodborne is a though choice. DS3 is a better game overall but the level design in Bloodborne is From Soft at its best.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ

@phbz said:

level design in Bloodborne is From Soft at its best.

Unpopular opinion but I always thought the Crown DLC in DkSII had fantastic level design, every area has a purpose and reflects gameplay for various playstyles. The base-game in DkSII however, has a lot to be desired.

So overall BB probably is the best for level design, followed by the original DkS. As much as I like DkSIII level design is a mixed result.

Khazrak134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Khazrak134

what i like about Bloodborne, is that the world is interconnected. I wish that Dark Souls 3 was a bit more sprawling like Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1.

As for Nioh, i really missed the interconnected world, and felt like the mission system kinda ruined the pacing of the game, and gave it a "stop-go" feel.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 djura

@RSM-HQ: The only reason I mention Bloodborneas an alternative to consider is because it's the more complete package, in the sense that the gameplay is great and the plot both makes sense, and is self-contained.

I agree that Dark Souls III is a fun game. But in my view, it's probably the weakest Dark Souls game and the DLC is incredibly lacklustre, especially Ashes of Ariandel.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RSM-HQ

@djura said:

@RSM-HQ: The only reason I mention Bloodborneas an alternative to consider is because it's the more complete package, in the sense that the gameplay is great and the plot both makes sense, and is self-contained.

I agree that Dark Souls III is a fun game. But in my view, it's probably the weakest Dark Souls game and the DLC is incredibly lacklustre, especially Ashes of Ariandel.

I dunno if I agree with the statement of 'complete package' Bloodbornes multiplayer and Chalice Dungeons have a lot to be desired, not to mention weapon balancing is the worst in the series since the original Demon's Souls. However I will agree the combat is really slick and story is self contained and follows under no guidelines from previous games like DkSIII.

I personally prefer DkSIII very much, however BB is no look-away game itself. So honestly I disagree with the final statement and ignoring the fact The Ringed City is very well received makes me wonder why you have such a negative stance on the DLC.

Also, AoA isn't lacklustre but is the shortest DLC we've had from a FROMSOFTWARE RPG. It's decent but doesn't really get great till that final boss encounter. Compared to Old Hunters, Artorias of the Abyss, And Ringed City, yeah it's not as awesome. That I will agree on.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 djura

@RSM-HQ: Yeah, the Chalice Dungeons are rubbish. Let me clarify: when I say "complete package", I'm talking about the combination of satisfying gameplay and plot. :-)

As for the DLC, I thought that The Ringed City was better than Ashes of Ariandel. I agree with you there. But I think neither DLC was particularly interesting. The plot of Dark Souls III was an enormous mess (which the DLC really did nothing to correct), and the combat encounters were okay. I felt that the ending was highly anti-climactic.

Compare that to The Old Hunters, which re-contextualised Bloodborne in a remarkably clever way, and I think there's just no comparison (lore-wise, at least).

But, to each his (or her) own. At the end of the day, I'd recommend owning both games (and their DLC), if that's at all possible.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RSM-HQ

@djura: From a story perspective I do find Bloodborne the best overall, and did like how The Old Hunters built on the base game. The rest we would just have to agree-to-disagree :)

"okay" just didn't sum up my experience personally.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

If you can try a demo, then do. These games cater to a specific gamer, and seem to be a love or hate type of game.

ziron999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ziron999
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

nioh...it has a million times more content and is faster/more fun. you beat the game in NG+3 and newer gear STILL DROPS. you can actually legitimately GET to a very high level and still be pretty weak.

It is easy until ng+4 though i will admit. It is heavy on gear and i spent tons more hours on nioh then dark souls there is ONE thing missing....it has pvp but not like dark souls it's just an arena :(...

it also has extremely good item management system.

Nioh is more then just 1 mix.

It's a cross between ninja gaidens speed, diablo loot, & dark souls style combat(just faster)

ninboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By ninboxstation
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

Dark Souls 3 is a masterpiece..., but Nioh does a few things better and is beginner friendlier.. (and has the deeper / more complex action system).., still if either DS3 or Nioh => go DS3..., but give Nioh a chance too at sometime later, it's still special..

(but "Bound by Flame" on very hard and "Technomancee" on hard are imo just as good as Nioh.., just have other strengths like better Story/characters and counter moves..but not such deep action)

ninboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By ninboxstation
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

Bloodborme is too short, DS3 is still overall the better game, even if not by much and even if it feels less fresh than BB (BB's first big areas were epic though!.., still overall DS3 is the more epic)

as for BB vs. Nioh

BB > Nioh (just BB is way shorter)

Ignorecreate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ignorecreate
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

I've played both game and I like Dark Souls better.Nioh is still a good game but it is really hard you should still give it a chance.

mithras123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mithras123
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

I think that DS3 is the best choice because it's a mix of all souls games, it has a nice engine and a strong lore in it. the combat is simple like nioh but you can play like a madman or like a tank it's your choice. in Nioh i like the setting but that's all i like. I will play Nioh in the future. But my personal favourite will remain Dark Souls in front of any other souls like game.

Loodko_Koopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Loodko_Koopus
Member since 2018 • 69 Posts

DS3 > Nioh

DS1 is the best out of the bunch in my opinion, although Demon's Souls will always have a place in my heart cuz I played it way before Dark Souls ever came to be

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

Damn this is a tough one. I'd say Dark Souls 3, but not by much.

randomHALT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 randomHALT
Member since 2006 • 141 Posts

Nioh = no invasions (online, can co-op)

DS3 = invaded every 5 seconds (online, offline NPC invasions sprinkled in)

Nioh>DS3

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mecha_frieza
Member since 2007 • 1305 Posts

Both are great games, but Dark Souls 3 has been around for a lot longer so FromSoftware has been able to perfect it (not a perfect game, but the mechanics are top-notch). I have only played the Nioh demo, (I have it ordered on eBay, but there is a major delay because one of our main highways is closed) but from what I have played, I really enjoyed. It is true that Nioh borrows heavily from the Dark Souls franchise, but the setting is very different since it has a Japanese theme. I actually like to think of Nioh as the spiritual successor to the Onimusha games on PS2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a813a1b11b9c
deactivated-5a813a1b11b9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5a813a1b11b9c
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

Man, i love Dark Souls 3. Its everything. It's life and most of all, its all about rage and love.

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mecha_frieza
Member since 2007 • 1305 Posts

So after spending some time with Nioh, I can say that any of the Dark Souls games are superior to Nioh. This is not to say that Nioh is a bad game (I actually think it is a great game), but there are some serious gripes that I have with Nioh.

First, there is a huge Dualshock 4 controller input lag issue. At first, people were blaming the controllers, but the fact that their controllers work fine in regular games and not in Nioh means that the problem is actually with Nioh. I have reached out to Sony Playstation Support and they have gotten a large amount of these reports. They are investigating the issue and hopefully the issue will be patched soon, but as of right now, it makes Nioh near unplayable.

Secondly, the weapon selection in Nioh is dwarfed by the Dark Souls games and because of this, gameplay variety is quite limited. In Nioh You have 10 options which include: swords, dual swords, spear, axe, great sword (odachi), kusarigama, tonfas, bows and hand cannons. On the other hand, Dark Souls has 19 options (you can also dual wield most weapons) which includes: daggers, short swords, straight swords, piercing swords (rapiers), curved swords, katanas, great swords, ultra great swords, axes, great axes, bows, great bows, crossbows, whips, spears, halberds, fist and claw weapons, hammers, and great hammers. I also highly dislike the weapon upgrade system in Nioh which is watered down version of what the Dark Souls games offered.

All and all, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls I to III and Bloodborne are definitely better games, but Nioh definitely has a the ability for greatness. If Sony decides to fix the Dualshock 4 controller input lag issue, then that could really turn things around for Nioh. Also, if a sequel gets released, they need to fix the upgrade system and they need to include more variety in terms of weapons.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 djura

I don't think there's a clear answer about which is better overall. Although they are some obvious similarities, they're also remarkably different. Dark Souls 3 is going to be much more valuable to you if you've played other games in that franchise, and therefore have some understanding of the context and background lore. Sure, it can be enjoyed without that understanding, but it's certainly enhanced by it.

Nioh, in some ways, is a bit more niche than Dark Souls 3, despite what I just said about context. Its medieval Japanese setting is lovely, but also highly repetitive - so I feel like you have to really be "into" that setting to avoid getting bored by the repetition. I also think that the combat system is quite different; I'm not sure if I'd call it better or worse, just different. I personally found Nioh to be a tougher game than Dark Souls 3, but that could be because I'm just used to Dark Souls as a series.

Anyway, you'll certainly get more variety in DS3 and I think the opportunities for mayhem around PVE/PVE are a bit more varied and interesting in DS3 than in Nioh. I guess, ultimately, it just depends what you're interested in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

Dark Souls 3

Nioh has some nice combat mechanics, but it's ultimately a lesser action-RPG-adventure experience imo. Dark Souls 3 has much more variety in character build and weaponry, the gameworld is much more detailed and atmospheric, and looting is much more rewarding since all items are unique and all weapons are actually usable through upgrading (Nioh basically throws a constant barrage of same weapons at you with different stats).

After Darks Souls 3, play Bloodborne. I don't like it as much as Dark Souls 3 since it's a little more action oriented and drops some of the RPG away, but it's still one hell of a great game. The faster movement is really fun in it (which they brought to Dark Souls 3 a little bit too), and the aesthetics and atmosphere are even better than in any Souls game.

edit: wow. this thread is over 7 months old. i think the guy has made up his mind already :D

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I think it goes like this:

Dark Souls 3 > Bloodborne > Nioh

That being said, all are absolutely great games. Nioh reminds me of a unique mix of the Onimusha games and of Bloodborne which is pretty awesome since the Onimusha games were some of my favorite PS2 games back in the day.