AlexWeth1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

Edited By AlexWeth1996
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

Platinum Game's new PlayStation 4 exclusive, Nier: Automata, allows players to buy Trophies they haven't earned with in-game currency. What are the ethics behind this, and what kind of nasty and unfortunate consequences will this decision have? In this article, we dive deep into that.

OPINION PIECE

The Story

There has been some alarming and personally disturbing news going around lately. Nier: Automata, Platinum Game's newest PlayStation 4 Exclusive, will allow players to purchase trophies they haven't unlocked with in-game currency. It appears that Bronze Trophies will be available to buy for 50,000 in game currency, Silver Trophies will be available to buy for 80,000 in game currency and Gold Trophies will be available to buy for 100,000 in game currency.There is a total of 48 Trophies in Nier: Automata and they break down as such, 33 Bronze Trophies, 13 Silver Trophies, and 2 Gold Trophies. So, with some simple arithmetic one will find that a total of, 2,890,000 in-game currency, to earn the Platinum Trophy. Granted, that is not taking into account all of the trophies that players will earn inevitably by simply playing the game. Also, I must point out, that for a player to earn the ability to buy Trophies they must beat the game twice, and then on their third playthrough they can then purchase trophies.Lastly, I have only played the demo for Nier: Automata and cannot talk about how fast someone can earn in-game currency, so I am not fully aware of how harmful this feature will be on the PlayStation Trophy ecosystem.

The Ethics

Now that everyone is caught up on the news on Nier: Automata and what is happening, I would like to talk about the ethics about allowing people to buy Trophies. Firstly, let me just say that for me, what Nier: Automata is doing walks the line between ethically wrong and right. It will take a considerable amount of effort and time on the players part to earn these trophies regardless whether they buy them or earn them out right. So, the fact that it'll take players more than two playthroughs and hours of currency grinding to buy these Trophies, and the fact that there is no option to pay real money in exchange for in-game currency, makes what Platinum Games is doing with Nier: Automata on the side of ethically right for me, if just so. In that last paragraph lies the key to what will make this situation ethically wrong, being able to buy in-game currency with real life money, and then use that in-game currency you purchased to buy Trophies. If other developers see an opportunity to implement this feature, you best believe that they will, especially since we are already seeing some shady activity when it comes to games offering cheap ways for players to earn Trophies. The prime example of this is My Name is Mayo, which is a game that can be bought for $0.99 on the PSN, and is cross-buy, which means when you buy it on PS4 you also get it on PlayStation Vita. In this game all the player has to do is tap a mayo jar, and once the player taps the jar enough they earn the Platinum Trophy. It is this lowbrow type of game development that is ruining the PSN and tanking the value of the Trophy system.

Now that isn't something you have to imagine happening because it already is. What doesn't take too much effort, and is scary to imagine, is that greedy developers would, in a heartbeat, implement a system where a player can buy in-game currency with real world currency, and then use that in-game currency to buy Trophies. Then, suddenly, before we realize it, Platinum Trophies will be on sale for 1,000,000 in-game currency, which will cost you $19.99. This will then, in turn, ruin the ecosystem of PlayStation Trophies, and make earning any Trophies in the PlayStation ecosystem completely worthless.

Conclusion

While Nier: Automata allowing players to buy Trophies isn't quite unethical, it opens the door for many unethical situations to follow. So, the question is, should we allow this to even stand? My thoughts, as someone who is highly engaged in the PlayStation Trophy ecosystem, is that Sony should not let Nier: Automata give players the ability to buy Trophies. This is due to fact that it will eventually lead to unethical developers abusing their power, and selling Trophies to players. This will distort the value of all PlayStation Trophies, and ruin the ecosystem altogether.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#1 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I heard about this. And if this the beginning of the sale of trophies, then I am I will probably sell my PS4 and buy a Nintendo console or Xbox.

I ain't going to support that crap. Can't believe they allowed this to happen.

AlexWeth1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 AlexWeth1996
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

@k--m--k: I think that Sony will crack down before a game lets you buy trophies with real currency, but I do think that this Nier thing could lead to that. Which is sad, because I truly believe the PlayStation Ecosystem is amazing and unique, and would hate to see it be brought down by something like this.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

well, according to the review:

- one playthrough can take about 40 hours or so, if done quickly...

- there are five endings, all of which add to the experience...

- you can purchase the trophies with in game currency (not real money) after the third playthrough...

imho, if someone invests at least 120 hours of her / his life into a game, she / he is more than eligible to buy any desired trophy with hard earned in game currency... :)

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't know enough about the game's difficulty when it comes to its trophies, but regardless it just sounds like a silly idea. I could maybe buy the argument that it's just an alternate way to earn trophies since it sounds like you have to play the game a lot anyway. But still, it's not a good concept and I think it could be a lot worse if implemented in other games.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

My name is Mayo is already a live example of abuse of trophies. It is basically money in exchange for trophies.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Well I'll probably get the game later in the year as I love Platinum, and the Hack n' Slash side of this will fill my DMC/ NG fix. Though Nioh will get some of that for me :P

ChrisAnetkaC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 341

#7 ChrisAnetkaC
Member since 2004 • 726 Posts

@alexweth1996: Thanks for posting this. Interesting and sad. You have a point: once the trophies are on sale they become worthless and ruin the whole concept which is a good system for record-keeping. Greed can destroy everything. The best thing to do is to make noise about any such practices and boycott any games which try to implement that. When the greedy are slapped across their greedy paws and the numbers start shrinking they start paying attention. The numbers are the only thing they are interested in.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Lol not sure how pathetic you would be to buy trophies for irl money, so I kind of agree with your post... however one thing it doesn't take into account, is the fact that trophy is(should be...) completely worthless for everyone but the player himself, so if anyone wants to actually buy trophies with irl, I could care less tbh! In the grand scheme of ways game developers try to screw their customers this is placed wayyyyyy below stuff like early acces(aka beta forever), dlc(aka content that should be in the game already) and releasing crappy ports and buggy games...