Nier Automata is pretty bad, with bad writing too

#1 Posted by Fsrgon (12 posts) -

I was just thinking about overrated games and this came to mind. I decided to finally play it last year after all the fanboys I saw constantly praising the supposed "masterpiece" writing and deep philosophical story and boy was I disappointed.

The dialogue is cliché anime nonsense, complete with the typical anime gasps and immature tumblr/reddit-tier writing i.e "my girlfriend dumped me 2b...whaaa" "why did you kill my brother? Now I'll kill you!"

Characters are one dimensional with the cliché anime plot point of having a secret hidden trait i.e the stoic silent strong woman isn't so cold hearted really and shows that suddenly and spontaneously at one point.

Then there's the story, with a narrative requiring multiple repetitive playthroughs to get to the so called "enjoyable" bits, a narrative mired by one dimensional characters and terrible writing and in the end, what is that narrative? The generic concepts of infinite cycles, war being pointless and the question of what is free will and is our enemy any different from us? Philosophical questions explored far better in games like Dark Souls and Metal Gear.

"Whoosh" they said if you don't like the story. Jesus, the story point has been done far better in other series like Souls, Yoko Taro is OK at coming up with concepts but poor at implementing them.

The gameplay is a repetitive easy joke, dodge every enemy automatically just by bashing dodge. No timing required because you'll be sure to perform the evasive dodge required to counter strike afterwards. No tactics required because most enemies are the same. Exploration becomes tedious in its bland world filled with the same enemies who lack variety, side quests are just glorified fetch missions or "go here and kill x enemy."

By later playthroughs, everything is just a chore and tedious slog through the same old crap.

I'm not sure how this game ended up being rated so highly but I think it's mostly from anime fanboys who like anything that is anime or anime-like, then proceed to viciously overhype it in response to any criticism. Funniest part was hearing a few saying it's got better writing and dialogue than both The Witcher 3 and Yakuza 0. After playing through the whole game (and yes doing the subsequent playthroughs) I'm convinced that these people must be on drugs if they think Nier even compares.

Who else thinks it's overrated? I mean this is Platinum Games, I don't know how they went from Metal Gear Rising to this. Perhaps they should have got Hideo Kojima to oversee this game too, it would probably have had better gameplay and writing.

#2 Posted by SoNin360 (7081 posts) -

I enjoyed the game overall, but you do make some good points in which I agree with to some extent. Definitely was expecting a bit more from the game given its reception, so ultimately I thought it was a bit overrated despite having a decent time with it. But, like you said, the game gets very repetitive. I don't remember why I had to do multiple playthroughs, I just remember my enjoyment of the game dipping downward at that point. The story was okay, but nothing too impressive. I'm a casual fan of anime shows and games, so I was really expecting to like this game more than I did. It definitely had some great moments, but for the most part I don't remember much of the plot at this point and my memory of repetitive fights overshadows that of some of the fights that were great.

#3 Posted by Epak_ (10662 posts) -

Couldn't get into it either.

#4 Posted by GTR12 (13468 posts) -

@fsrgon: Metal Gear: Rising isn't even a Kojima game...so why would he oversee Nier?

I also liked Nier, at least its not another 1-dimensional game.

#5 Posted by Fsrgon (12 posts) -

@GTR12: Kojima oversaw production on Rising though. I'm just talking hypothetical that Nier would have had better writing and story imo with Kojima if they managed to get him to do it.

#6 Posted by GTR12 (13468 posts) -

@fsrgon said:

@GTR12: Kojima oversaw production on Rising though. I'm just talking hypothetical that Nier would have had better writing and story imo with Kojima if they managed to get him to do it.

I disagree, Nier is fine, its not for everyone.

I've stumbled upon many great games, which people might deem "too anime, hypocritical, sexist etc etc" all because I've taken a chance on something.

People say the same about Wet (its bland, repetitive, story could be better etc).

Kojima would have fucked it up, probably introduce some male having a baby in his mouth...

#7 Posted by Random_Matt (4146 posts) -

Was an average game.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
#8 Posted by YammiReckorrdSan (615 posts) -

Nier Automata is not bad game, but I agree with for the most part. The story is bullcrap, the only fun things about it is the wierd things, like robot sex, or Romeo and Juliet play that the robots commits a suicide. The gameplay is fun, but yeah, it is not very good. It is worst version of Bayonetta. And I agree with you 100% about the bland open world.

I enjoyed Nier Automata, but it took me three time after I stopped to finish it.

#9 Posted by justplayednier (1 posts) -

Kind of crazy how I stumble across this post after I JUST uninstalled Nier. This game is so bad and cliche it hurts. In the first 2 hours of the game I spent more time watching cut scene after cut scene with cringey anime-esque dialoge than I did actually playing the game.

The game play was just as bad and linear. Abosolutely nothing to think about, no decision making, no feeling that you needed differenty strategies to defeat enemies. You end up just doing the same thing for each enemy encounter. It becomes super repetative very fast. During the first boss fight there was like 4 seperate cut scenes with more linear dodge and shoot game play as a filler.

The game is designed so that you are playing in an anime film rather than an actual video game. I don't enjoy watching cut scene after cut scene with brainless gameplay as a filler. Where I'm not even thinking about anything - just auto piloting.

#10 Posted by Chris_53 (5506 posts) -

I remember playing the demo and not really having the urge to go out and buy it. I dunno maybe it's just not my type of game. I do enjoy a lot of different types of games though, but Nier never appealed to me

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
#11 Posted by GettingonwithGamingLife (242 posts) -

Interesting. Wanted to give it a try. I've heard of worst writingamer but my expectations are lowered.

#13 Posted by sakaiXx (5504 posts) -

I love the game, no.2 game of 2017 but its full of jrpg troupe, not everyone gonna love it.

#16 Posted by CTR360 (8696 posts) -

fantastic game i love it

#17 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2379 posts) -

I played the demo and it was pretty cool. That boss fight at the end of it really made me want to get the game. It's on my bucket list and I'll definitely play it with an open mind.

#18 Posted by madsnakehhh (16413 posts) -

I was eager to get this game, but after I saw one of the most pretentious reviews I've ever saw in YouTube (something like ... Nier Automata, the masterpiece you will not play, or something like that) my hype kind of died ... I didn't even watched the whole thing (almost an hour) I just find the review so pretentious I think I'll wait a little bit more (some good discount).

#19 Posted by Johnny_Rock (40229 posts) -

Hated every minute of the 3 plus hours I played it. Couldn't give it a longer shot than that. I wanted to blow my brains out in that short a time.

#20 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5093 posts) -

@fsrgon:

Yeah well, your opinion is bad. Bad reasoning too! 🖑FACE!!

#21 Posted by BigCat2K20 (359 posts) -

@Chris_53 said:

I remember playing the demo and not really having the urge to go out and buy it. I dunno maybe it's just not my type of game. I do enjoy a lot of different types of games though, but Nier never appealed to me

I played the demo, too. It was so boring that I fell asleep twice. Thanks to the demo, I didn't even bother rent it & play other games that interested me.

#22 Posted by PCVirginRace (176 posts) -

Good

-plot

-theme

-character

-music

Bad

-repetitive mashing

-replaying game twice to get part 3

-very Japanese

-over philosophical

#23 Posted by phbz (4439 posts) -

Maybe I'll play it if it comes out in GamePass. Played the demo when it first came out and was disappointed.

#24 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43965 posts) -

I need to give it another go, but I agree, did not like it after playing for a couple hours.

I think it had the good fortune of being a barely-above-average game released during a short game drought.

It also suffered from what I think of as the "self-perpetuating Japanese game stereotype": terrible writing, convoluted plot, annoying characters, and too much flashiness. It basically came off like a J-Pop Soap Opera.

#25 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18879 posts) -

Totally disagree... it's one of the best games I've played this gen. But each to their own.

#26 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1504 posts) -

Kojima lost his marbles a long time ago. He would have ruined this game's decent story and all its charm.

#27 Edited by PS360 (25 posts) -
@ezekiel43 said:

Kojima lost his marbles a long time ago. He would have ruined this game's decent story and all its charm.

He for sure has. I can't even figure out what Death Stranding is, it's so vague.