This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
Cynical_Buzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Cynical_Buzzard
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

I have been looking at both games and trying to decide if it is worth it for me to spend the extra money on NHL 14. So does NHL 14 add any new features or make any major improvements?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I heard nhl 13 wasn't good. But 14 made improvements worth a purchase.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

You should have bought it during the second week of the Christmas sale. NHL 14 was only $15 for plus members.

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
Cynical_Buzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Cynical_Buzzard
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

@Murderstyle75 said:

You should have bought it during the second week of the Christmas sale. NHL 14 was only $15 for plus members.

I wish I would of known that, that would of saved me a ton of money.

Luckily I have some Best Buy gift cards from Christmas so I will have to only pay around 20 bucks or so.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#6  Edited By d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Have them both and I'd give the slight nod to NHL 14. I originally purchased NHL14 for the retro mode but I found it to be quite a let down - my NHL nemesis and I played a couple games and we'll never go back to it.

If you just want a quick hockey game and aren't concerned about rosters, NHL 10 and NHL 11 are more than fine.

As for a quick fun game of hockey (not like the sterile version we get with the current NHL series) you might want to try EA's 3 on 3 Arcade Hockey via PSN - very fun stuff.

Avatar image for Zombiekiller360
Zombiekiller360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zombiekiller360
Member since 2006 • 389 Posts

NHL14 blows 13 out of the water, the gameplay is so much smoother.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

neither, they both suck, a lot. I could write on an essay about how much they suck. If you buy one I hope you like loading screens: the game (most time spent waiting to play wins)

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By robokill

@geminontraveler said:

@robokill said:

neither, they both suck, a lot. I could write on an essay about how much they suck. If you buy one I hope you like loading screens: the game (most time spent waiting to play wins)

gee thats funny because that series is probably the single most decorated sports game series on the market currently.

that doesn't make them good, they simply aren't. The loading screens are unacceptable, the inability for the AI to stay onside is even worse and the terrible glitchiness... well, it makes it garbage. Playing goalie my guy literally levitates through the post while I get scored on, yeah that's fun, time to stare at a loading screen. I was in an online team with a bunch of people in my city but nobody plays because the consensus is the game isn't worth spending time on.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By robokill

a million people don't say it's good, the game is objectively bad. There are too many flaws for them to be considered good:

1.more loading screen than game playing

2.glitchy goalies levitating through nets

3. terrible, TERRIBLE A.I. that NHL 2k11 did better 4 years ago

4. stupid nonsensical player progression in be a gm

5. horrible lag online

6. blurry graphics that induce headaches

7. ridiculous EA rubberbanding and in game momentum where getting puck away can be literally impossible and losing games 2-1 while outshooting the opponent 50-10 happens regularly.

8. horrendous menu setup with zero customization, EASHL boots you to the main menu that you have to go through over and over, add it up if you play over 100 games and you are losing hours of time trying to get back into a game.

I could go on and on, the only reason people think this garbage is good is because EA has the monopoly while Sega produced vastly superior games from years ago with AI that would actually resemble a hockey game. If you really think it's good you are sorely deluded and know nothing about hockey, there are too many flaws for it to be considered good. I mean, the AI is incapable of staying onside on the rush, that's stuff games older than a decade did better, simply unacceptable.