NGP from $250 according to possible leak?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Goffee71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Goffee71
Member since 2005 • 548 Posts

This is translated straight off a French site, so take it with a big dose of reality, still:

So according to the internal source, the price will be very aggressive: theNPM WiFi modelwould be marketed at a price ranging between250 and 280 dollars, that's between220 and 250 €including VAT.

Too good to be true? Full copy -http://psp2roundup.blogspot.com/2011/02/ngp-pricing-from-250-potential-leak.html

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

That would be awesome but i seriously doubt sony is going to take so much of a loss. Im guessing upwards of 350

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

$250.00 for the NGP if Sony could actually release it at that price. NGP would easily "Destroy" Nintendo but I don't see NGP costing less than $350.00

pataponplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pataponplayer
Member since 2009 • 1410 Posts

Don't believe anything until Sony announces it. Be patient.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I'll definitely get it at that price, but $200 would even more tempting. Then again, the regular PSP already feels next gen to me. It's already a beast. The NGP is going to be a super megaton beast capable of devouring entire villages.

Hammstray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Hammstray
Member since 2010 • 890 Posts

That would take a lot of players eyes off the 3DS and start seeing the NGP as something they could possibly be able to buy now instead of the competition. I am really excited if this goes through. I want this so bad!!!

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
I cant imagine anything lower than $300-$350. Even Sony reps have said in an interview that while unlike the PS3 (they built then priced accordingly), the NGP would be fairly priced in accordance to: what it can do. They built it with a set price in mind and given its specs I think they could, and unfortunately, should, price it between $300 and $350. It may not be a budget buster like the PS3 but it is definitely going to have to be seen as an investment to the purchaser. Given that I'm about to enter the working world with quite a pocket of college debt, I dont have the cash to drop on it initially but I did fine picking up the PS3 when the MGS4 bundle hit late and I think I'll do just fine waiting for when I can afford the NGP on my time rather than a rush to own it with only 12-20 games on the deck at launch; most of which won't interest me the least.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
If it was $250, I would be very worried about what they took out of the NGP to make it cost that much less.
darkPSPfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 darkPSPfan
Member since 2007 • 4934 Posts
if it costs 250$, im buying it from the delivery truck before it reaches the doors of the store heh.
illharmonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 illharmonics
Member since 2005 • 5470 Posts
I can't imagine it being 250$, especially with its sheer power. I'd willing to bet it's around the 350$ mark and I'm ok with that.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
That would be awesome but I'm betting on $350.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#12 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i stopped reading at where you said french site? like a french site can tell you the us price of a product , get a grip i highly doubt psp 2/ngp will be 250 considering psp go and psp was 250 at launch , and psp go is still 200 dollars ,

as well as psp bundles lol

and sony said already psp will; be sold along side it

whats that mean

well it means its sure not gonna be 250 you sir are asking for to much , 350 is what im banking on maybe even 320 ,

but 250 , eh sonyll lose profits lol big time , and remember 3ds will be out first

so i dont think sonys out of the water when it comes to that, you think people will leave nintendo knowing the line up of f uture games on 3ds just because ngp was 250-same price, no thanks ill wait for an officail price now you can stop creating threads among threads of trying to find the price out

sony will tell you be patient

LethalEu4ia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LethalEu4ia
Member since 2009 • 314 Posts
Maybe $250 for a Wifi only version and $300 for a Wifi + 3G version? Could see them doing that.
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#14 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
I would love to see a $250 price, but I doubt it's going to happen. I'm guessing a price between $300-350.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#15 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

$250.00 for the NGP if Sony could actually release it at that price. NGP would easily "Destroy" Nintendo but I don't see NGP costing less than $350.00

Megavideogamer
Because of the world economy, it would be a bad idea to premium price the next psp. They have to stay in the 250 299 range for the WiFi version of the PSP. Anything higher than 300 is risky considering many handheld gamers are on the fence.
HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

If its $250 I would get it without hesitation.

Hammstray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Hammstray
Member since 2010 • 890 Posts
Also, Sony said that when they started making the NGP, they had a price in mind so I don't think it will be in the 300's, maybe high 200's.
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#18 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts

I tracked down the original on PSPgweber

I don't know how to feel about this. How many times have we seen this? "A sony insider told us..."

It would be great news, this, if it were true. 280? Very competitive. :)

Hanzoadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#19 Hanzoadam
Member since 2009 • 6576 Posts

I heard there main competitor they want to go up against is Apple and their ipod touch and I've heard they want to release the products around the same price as an iPod touch so I'd beleive this, But its probably the lowest spec model

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#20 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts

I heard there main competitor they want to go up against is Apple and their ipod touch and I've heard they want to release the products around the same price as an iPod touch so I'd beleive this, But its probably the lowest spec model

Hanzoadam
There's only two known models so far: The WiFi model and the 3G model, and which is, according to this rumour, going to be 350$ maximum, which is, in my opinion, still very competitive.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Coolyfett
Also, Sony said that when they started making the NGP, they had a price in mind so I don't think it will be in the 300's, maybe high 200's.Hammstray
This is logic business.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

UPDATE - Having tracked it back to source, this looks less and less realistic, in fact - thinking back to some of our own posts - it is unlikely that Sony would know the final price yet, as components are still to be finalised. As you were!

I don't see it going anywhere below $300, and may be well north of that number.

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts

UPDATE - Having tracked it back to source, this looks less and less realistic, in fact - thinking back to some of our own posts - it is unlikely that Sony would know the final price yet, as components are still to be finalised. As you were!Gxgear

Yeah, I see they updated the site in the link.

Really though, some random guy posting that he found out the NGP is $250 wouldn't convince me it was true in the first place. My guses is $300 for the WiFi model and $350 for the WiFi + 3G model (there are supposedly two models.) But if it IS $250, I'm going to have a hard time picking between the two handhelds. Doubt it, though.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
I will buy it if it is 250$, but anymore is really pushing it.
DarxPhil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 DarxPhil
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts

I can pretty much bet 100% that it's not going to be $250 or anywhere int he 200 dollar range.

My prediction is:

$300 for Wi-Fi only SKU

and

$350 or WI-FI + 3G SKU

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Coolyfett

Megavideogamer
Are you willing to pay 350.00 for it? That seens way too high.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Almost no chance. even for the base version
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Coolyfett
Now that we know the NGP is NOT a portable PS3, but an Upgraded PSP. 250$ sounds more likely now. This is a very fair price.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Coolyfett
People really willing to pay 350 for a handheld system?? Thats is alot of cash, the NGP should not be more than the PS3 if it can not match the PS3. Sony just confirmed it will not have the same graphics as the PS3. This puts it in the 250-275 range easily. Coolyfett is not paying more than 300 for that.
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RACiEP

Now that we know the NGP is NOT a portable PS3, but an Upgraded PSP. 250$ sounds more likely now. This is a very fair price. Coolyfett

Well of course it's not a portable PS3! The PS3 is a beast with all of its 8 cores! I dunno why everyone has been saying that. It's just like the PSP was never a portable PS2; it's more like a portable PS1, and the NGP is more like a poratable PS2.5.

But I think $250 is highly unlikely. Ideal? Yes, but I'd be surprised if it happened. But why? Well, the NGP has superior hardware to the 3DS, which obviously makes it more expensive. I'm not trying to dis the 3DS (I think it looks pretty awesome), but I'm just telling you like it is.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]Now that we know the NGP is NOT a portable PS3, but an Upgraded PSP. 250$ sounds more likely now. This is a very fair price. RACiEP

Well of course it's not a portable PS3! The PS3 is a beast with all of its 8 cores! I dunno why everyone has been saying that. It's just like the PSP was never a portable PS2; it's more like a portable PS1, and the NGP is more like a poratable PS2.5.

But I think $250 is highly unlikely. Ideal? Yes, but I'd be surprised if it happened. But why? Well, the NGP has superior hardware to the 3DS, which obviously makes it more expensive. I'm not trying to dis the 3DS (I think it looks pretty awesome), but I'm just telling you like it is.

The Press/Media has been over hyping the NGP as a PS3 in your pocket, which lead to the haters screaming that the NGP was a bad investment because it would ONLY have PS3 portts. The Haters kept saying that since the NGP could play PS3 games that the NGP would have no original software. Sony addressed the haters yesterday by saying the NGP COULD NOT do what the PS3 COULD. So most NGP games will be built from the ground up. Special made for the NGP. Will there be ports & shovelware?? Maybe.....but the point is NGP is better than the PSP & PS2. HD Graphically it will blow the 3DS out of the water.
Bryan_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bryan_Williams
Member since 2011 • 139 Posts

Megavideogamer
I agree that if it is $250, it will destroy Nintendo.
Cbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cbot
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts

Here is my opinion about the NGP:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7WXw67Yqg0

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RACiEP

[QUOTE="RACiEP"]

Coolyfett

The Press/Media has been over hyping the NGP as a PS3 in your pocket, which lead to the haters screaming that the NGP was a bad investment because it would ONLY have PS3 portts. The Haters kept saying that since the NGP could play PS3 games that the NGP would have no original software. Sony addressed the haters yesterday by saying the NGP COULD NOT do what the PS3 COULD. So most NGP games will be built from the ground up. Special made for the NGP. Will there be ports & shovelware?? Maybe.....but the point is NGP is better than the PSP & PS2. HD Graphically it will blow the 3DS out of the water.

I agree with you and I never really understood why people thought the NGP could be a portable PS3. The PS3 has an eight core processor! But I do agree that it is more advanced than the PS2 because the PS2 was actually pretty underpowered for its time. The NGP is going to look stunning, but the hardware inside of it still makes it more expensive than the 3DS.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

$250 would be an awesome price for the system. But where are the games. Ok, there is an Uncharted game coming out for it. The 3DS library (to me) is just ok, but later on that system is going to kill. It already has a laundry list of games such as Street Fighter 4, Pilotwings, Ridge Racer, Monkey Ball, Rayman, Dead or Alive, Blazblue, Mega Man Legends 3, Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Metal Gear, Star Fox, Zelda, Kid Icarus, Bomberman, Contra, Kingdom Hearts, Sonic, and so forth. What games are coming to NGP? The system itself seems awesome, but if Sony doesn't start talking about games soon, they will face trouble like the PS3 at launch. Even if Unchated were to launch with system, Sony is going to need more than Uncharted to sell systems. The 3DS also comes with softwre built in the system. All Sony has said so far is that titles such as Wipeout, Resistance, and Killzone will be on NGP. When will we get to see those games and play them? A year after or more after the NGP comes out?

I don't want to bash the handheld before it releases but as of now Sony is shooting themselves in the chest. They keep emphasizing hardware and graphics. That kind of mentality worked with PS1 and 2, but does not work any longer. Wow so it only takes a week to port over technology from PS3 to NGP. Ok, that might work in Sony's favor, but it might hurt them as well. The system is heavily prone to ports. On the other hand, It won't take long for developers to figure out the hardware because it is similar to the PS3, so new games have a good probability of being made.

Nintendo has been dominant in the handheld market since they released gameboy in 1989. True, companies due fall from the top, but Nintendo hanhelds are resistant to faltering unlike the consoles. Nintendo always has plenty of software to buy on their systems. Nintendo went unchallenged in the handheld market in the west from 1996-2005. Other than in Japan the NGP probably is not going to sell well. I want it to succeed but let's face it, the only reason why PSP has lived this long is because of Japan and it has only survived over there because of Monster Hunter and games similar to it.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

$250 would be an awesome price for the system. But where are the games. Ok, there is an Uncharted game coming out for it. The 3DS library (to me) is just ok, but later on that system is going to kill. It already has a laundry list of games such as Street Fighter 4, Pilotwings, Ridge Racer, Monkey Ball, Rayman, Dead or Alive, Blazblue, Mega Man Legends 3, Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Metal Gear, Star Fox, Zelda, Kid Icarus, Bomberman, Contra, Kingdom Hearts, Sonic, and so forth. What games are coming to NGP? The system itself seems awesome, but if Sony doesn't start talking about games soon, they will face trouble like the PS3 at launch. Even if Unchated were to launch with system, Sony is going to need more than Uncharted to sell systems. The 3DS also comes with softwre built in the system. All Sony has said so far is that titles such as Wipeout, Resistance, and Killzone will be on NGP. When will we get to see those games and play them? A year after or more after the NGP comes out?

I don't want to bash the handheld before it releases but as of now Sony is shooting themselves in the chest. They keep emphasizing hardware and graphics. That kind of mentality worked with PS1 and 2, but does not work any longer. Wow so it only takes a week to port over technology from PS3 to NGP. Ok, that might work in Sony's favor, but it might hurt them as well. The system is heavily prone to ports. On the other hand, It won't take long for developers to figure out the hardware because it is similar to the PS3, so new games have a good probability of being made.

Nintendo has been dominant in the handheld market since they released gameboy in 1989. True, companies due fall from the top, but Nintendo hanhelds are resistant to faltering unlike the consoles. Nintendo always has plenty of software to buy on their systems. Nintendo went unchallenged in the handheld market in the west from 1996-2005. Other than in Japan the NGP probably is not going to sell well. I want it to succeed but let's face it, the only reason why PSP has lived this long is because of Japan and it has only survived over there because of Monster Hunter and games similar to it.

gamenerd15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqD8zJJCZ0

There's your games. And those were just the games announced with the reveal of the system. Expect a hell of a lot more to be revealed at E3. Either you haven't actually bothered to look at the announced games for the system, or you just made that post for effect. The fact you mentioned the 3DS and its games makes it seem that way. Also a COD was announced. Plus you can just check out a list of the developers making games for it. It doesn't lack support and it wont lack games. One big developer worthy of mention was Rockstar. It's pretty safe to assume a GTA is on the way. COD and GTA are two of the biggest and most popular franchises of the past decade. They and many other great games will sell the system.

Oh and by the way, this isn't system wars. Go there if you want to compare NGP with 3DS or talk about sales predictions of the two. This is the PSP/NGP forum. That goes for everybody, not just you. Why does every NGP thread just have to have loads of people mentioning 3DS?

Climaxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Climaxz
Member since 2010 • 917 Posts

TBH i would be fine if they removed the motion control and the touch pad ? (whatever it is) at the back, and bumped off £50 or so. Like who actually uses sixaxis ? I dont, i wonder how much a dualshock would be without it.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

TBH i would be fine if they removed the motion control and the touch pad ? (whatever it is) at the back, and bumped off £50 or so. Like who actually uses sixaxis ? I dont, i wonder how much a dualshock would be without it. Climaxz

No, the system needs that back touch pad. Not only does it give more gameplay possibilities(Little Deviants for example), but it also makes up for the lack of L2, R2, L3 and R3 buttons. It just gives you more control optons, and it's needed. As for motion controls, that's something I could live without too. Still at least it adds options and may be useful in ways we cant predict. I doubt much of anything would be taken off the price if it was removed anyway.

JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#39 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts

If that were true then who besides hardcore Nintendo fans would buy a 3DS?

250 seems really unrealistic though. Its gonna bemore like 350.

paladinqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 paladinqueen
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts

$250 , it is not cheap , but it is still worth to buy!!! 8)

I read the article about it , em , it is really good for game player !!!

darkPSPfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 darkPSPfan
Member since 2007 • 4934 Posts
^ 250$ not cheap for a machine like this? you cant be serious o.O
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Coolyfett
[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

Bryan_Williams
I agree that if it is $250, it will destroy

The goal should be to sell units so Sony can sell software, they really want to sell more downloadable software, which raises the value of the individual unit. Lets leave the other Japanese gaming firm out of it. Its really about brand loyality & backwards capability. 350 is tooo much for an upgrade PSP. 275 - 295 is the range Sony needs to stay in. So they can start fast. The more NGPs on the market the more software will be created for it.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Coolyfett
Its funny to read all these doubter post, especially since that Ubisoft stunt.. Coolyfett wont be buying the 250$ model, 3G is the one he is going for.