New to gaming. What to buy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

allentope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 allentope
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Last year my grand daughter bought me a Wii for my birthday. She seemed into all of this video gaming stuff so i thought i would give it a try. I played a couple of games but i got bored fast. why would i play golf on the Wii when i could just do it for real. so i tucked my Wii away in the attic and forgot about it. Lately though i have been watching Television more and have seen some amazing looking games for the Ps3, so i went out and bought one. But now don't have any games for it yet. Are there any good games out there for someone new? Just nothing kiddie i had enough of that on the Wii
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

First of all create a new PSN account, log in the PS store download some of trailers and demos. that will give you some idea what games you might like.. for right now you can try Uncharted 1, 2 or 3. those are good to start with.

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 XspidervenomX
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts
Stick with exclusives, ports are terrible on ps3, but the exclusives are fantastic, Uncharted, infamous 2, Metal Gear 4, ..etc, but again ports are terrible, they all seem to have issues on the ps3..
allentope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 allentope
This may sound stupid, but what do you mean by ports and exclusives?
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Depends on what genres you're interested in. For action/adventure try the Uncharted series. For racing try Gran Turismo 5.

Just go to Gamespots's home page, click on PS3 up at the top, then look at reviews, browse all games, then click on "score" and it will sort them from highest rated to lowest.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jackc8

This may sound stupid, but what do you mean by ports and exclusives? allentope

Exclusives are games made by Sony (via one of their many developers) which are only available on the PS3. Ports are multi-platform games which are available for both the PS3 and Xbox 360.

allentope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 allentope
so then stick with exclusives then because ports are terrible?
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#8 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
so then stick with exclusives then because ports are terrible?allentope
Well, you don't have to exclusively play exclusives... but there are still several of them you should check out, depending on what games you're interested in. Don't just disregard multiplatforms (games on multiple systems) and ports, unless you plan on buying more systems anyway. They aren't that bad really. I don't know what games to recommend because I have no idea what interests you.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
so then stick with exclusives then because ports are terrible?allentope
No, the ports aren't terrible. Don't listen to that bullsh!t propaganda. The only game with serious issues is Skyrim; everything else is fine and there is no reason not to buy third party games. I've been gaming with the PS3 exclusively this gen and own over thirty games--most of them third party--and haven't had any issues outside of Skyrim.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
[QUOTE="allentope"]so then stick with exclusives then because ports are terrible?Kravyn81
No, the ports aren't terrible. Don't listen to that bullsh!t propaganda. The only game with serious issues is Skyrim; everything else is fine and there is no reason not to buy third party games. I've been gaming with the PS3 exclusively this gen and own over thirty games--most of them third party--and haven't had any issues outside of Skyrim.

I personally think the issues with Skyrim are overblown too. In my 130-ish hours of gameplay, most of it has been smooth, with only some rare freezing. I think it is starting to fall under its own weight more now that my file size is getting large (more frame rate drops), but in all it's still playable and has all ready provided loads of hours of play time just under one file.
allentope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 allentope
okay i am downloading some demos now from the PlayStation store.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I have lots of port games, they all work fine..
arsenal1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 arsenal1111
Member since 2004 • 168 Posts

they all seem to have issues on the ps3..XspidervenomX
Wtf are you talking about? There's about 10 bad ports on the Ps3 and you're telling him to not play 85% of the games on the Ps3 library because of this. Horrible advice. Don't give anymore.

Allentope; have a look at this http://uk.ign.com/top/modern-games. Forget the ranking, just go through the list and look at some of the more popular and revered games out there. Look at some gameplay videos and see what you like.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#14 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Have a peek here.

Link.

It's got a good amount of info for anyone.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

[QUOTE="XspidervenomX"]they all seem to have issues on the ps3..arsenal1111

Wtf are you talking about? There's about 10 bad ports on the Ps3 and you're telling him to not play 85% of the games on the Ps3 library because of this. Horrible advice. Don't give anymore.

Allentope; have a look at this http://uk.ign.com/top/modern-games. Forget the ranking, just go through the list and look at some of the more popular and revered games out there. Look at some gameplay videos and see what you like.

AGREED, arsenal.

Who pissed his/her Weaties this morning? That's a posterchild for misinformation, that post... Some ports were even made much better than their original outing for their PS3 debut, like "Alone in the Dark: Inferno" which is one of my favorite games for the system.

:?

People, man... People.

voodoocanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 voodoocanzo
Member since 2012 • 55 Posts

Try dragon age 1 and 2 there both great if you like role playing games were you level up and hack and slash your way through levels.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts
[QUOTE="allentope"]so then stick with exclusives then because ports are terrible?Kravyn81

This and this only Skyrim is only one game people
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RageQuitter69

Go have a look at the PS3 recomendation thread, just don't take notice of the recomendations of Metal Gear Solid 4 and Mass Effect 2, they are missleading.

voodoocanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 voodoocanzo
Member since 2012 • 55 Posts

yes i hated both mass effect and metal gear solid 4 dont understand all the hype about the metal gear games

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jackc8

There's nothing wrong with multiplatform games on the PS3. That's nonsense. The vast majority of my 55 games are multiplat and they play just fine. Just spent 200 hours with Skyrim and that was fine. Don't know where these people get these ideas from but I'd suggest you just ignore them completely.

lalalei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lalalei
Member since 2010 • 203 Posts
poor guy, you are confusing him. most "ports" are not bad at all. ps3 exclusives don't take up some huge list, so like another person mentioned, you would be cutting out a ton of good games. i think trying demos is a good place to start. not everyone will enjoy the same game as someone else so you have to find the genre you enjoy
NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Have a peek here.

Link.

It's got a good amount of info for anyone.

Namgis

:)

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RageQuitter69

yes i hated both mass effect and metal gear solid 4 dont understand all the hype about the metal gear games

voodoocanzo
Simply put, all that anyone cares about in games this generation is the story, a game can have a great story and completely sh!t gameplay (Mass Effect 2) or have a great story and barley have any gameplay (Metal Gear Solid 4).
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Going offtopic to fight about ps3 port performance isn't going to help the TC here.

Anyways, demo's are the number one recommendation. Try to figure out what type of games you enjoy using said demo's of the games. Later you can look at the genre's you like the most and see what other people enjoyed in said genre. Gamespot or other game related sites can be great for that.

Videogame store employee's might be able to help you aswell.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#26 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts
  • Bioshock
  • Dead Space
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Killzone 2
  • Uncharted series

All awesome and are fairly easy to get into. Plus, they aren't suitable for kids.