New PSP looking for some opinions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP_DSL_ROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP_DSL_ROX
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts

Despite several peoples suggestion to not get the PSP, I decided to get it. It just seemed like the right system for me. I finally got my PSP and opened it. I was really exicted, charged it up, waited and waited. The first thing I did was check for a dead pixel cause I've heard this is a pretty common problem, didn't see anything, was really happy.

I started playing again later and was watching the screen more closely. Well, I noticed when there was a completely black screen (while it was starting a game up) closer to the top of the screen in the middle, one little tiny dot was lit, everything else was black. So, I checked with the different theme colors and it did the same thing on a few of the darker colors. I am assuming this is what the dead pixel is, or perhaps a hot pixel.

I've been thinking about it, I only have one game right now, a racing game, and one UMD movie. So, in my racing game I don't really notice the pixel and I would think in most games I wouldn't. But, I'm concerned it may bug me a little when I'm watching movies (I tend to be a person that can miss everything that is perfect and concentrate only on the one little problem).....

But, how big of a problem is the dead pixels? I would hate to get one that ends up being worse. If I take it back, am I likely to have the same problem?

Another thing I wasn't to sure of is if this is only a problem that you will have from the start, or if it is something that can develop over time? I didn't notice it at first, so I'm a little worried they are all going to start doing it. I'd hate to just sit and watch as my PSP slowly goes dark on me :cry:

In the packaging it says not to return to the store, I bought it at Wal-Mart. But, I really don't want to have to wait on Sony to ship me a new one or fix or anything like that, can Wal-Mart replace it for me?

I noticed the problem yesterday and played for probably an hour or so today. Maybe I'm crazy, but it kind of seems like the pixel isn't as noticeable as it was..... Is there a chance that it may go away on its own?

Thanks everyone!

dholmes19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 dholmes19
Member since 2006 • 1805 Posts
i don't think its that big of a problem, i have a few dead pixels and they don't bother me at all. I think its more of a hassel to package it up and return it. If you got the warranty, i would wait till you have more dead pixels or just before your warranty runs out before replacing it.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts

Dead pixels have always been a problem on the PSP.  It's also on the DS although I don't know how big a problem it is there.  If it's under a week or 2 you should be able to just take it back to the store and get a new one.  Check with Walmart and see what their return policy is.  The best test is to make 2 jpegs.  One should be all white and one should be all black.  Then bring them up in the picture viewer.  Any weird colors are stuck or dead.  If you're going to notice it then get another one.

Like you, I also think that the PSP is the best console for me.  Sure it's a bit more fragile than the DS but that big screen is just gorgeous.  Plus I like the game selection on it better.  The PSP is much more action oriented than the DS and has much more processing power.  And when I'm not gaming on it, I can watch movies or listen to music/podcasts. 

jasonbesto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 jasonbesto
Member since 2007 • 754 Posts
getting pixels are just normal for LCD screens like PSP and TV's,so no problem.
PSP_DSL_ROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PSP_DSL_ROX

Thanks guys.

I guess my one question that still remains is if more are going to develop over time.

Also, Fynne, is there any way else to check this? I don't have a memory stick yet, I have them ordered, they just aren't here yet. Since I'm a little limited on time I'd like to try it soon.

Thanks!

Philosoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Philosoma
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

Dead pixels are a problem when they are RED. If it is a white or blue, it could be a change in temp due to the game you were playing - for example, everytime I play Lumines, I get a small blue pixel in the lower right - it's not a problem. If you start seeing RED pixels all the time, that that PSP back and exchange for a different one. All stores will give you a 30 day free warranty for trading for an identical product anyway, so it's not a big deal, just dread the RED ones, they are most likely dead and they can damage surrounding ones :/

PSP_DSL_ROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PSP_DSL_ROX

Thanks, I will keep an eye out to make sure I don't have any red pixels. The only time I see mine is when the screen is black, or the dark blue or anything like that, so I will just keep an eye on it.

I think I'm going to get a card from the store just to test everything. I have one ordered, but it may take a while to get to me. Since I bought it a few days before I was able to open it, I don't want to wait any longer to find out if I have a problem. I know it plays the game I bought, I know it plays the UMD I bought, but I don't know if it works with music, downloaded videos, if the memory card slot works, etc. So, I think I should pick one up to make sure all that works.

Thanks for your help...... Can red pixels form over time?