New 3.60 Firmware will not be available for old PSP models.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

Turns out that the new 3.60 firmware that comes preloaded on the PSP Slim will not be available for the old "phat" models of the PSP. Certain features like UMD Cache can only be used with the added RAM in the PSP Slim.

You can get the whole story here along with a list of the new features the new firmware has.

zeeerrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 zeeerrr
Member since 2005 • 739 Posts

Turns out that the new 3.60 firmware that comes preloaded on the PSP Slim will not be available for the old "phat" models of the PSP. Certain features like UMD Cache can only be used with the added RAM in the PSP Slim.

You can get the whole story here along with a list of the new features the new firmware has.

PlasmaBeam44

:shock:..........

:evil:

mtlmlisha5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mtlmlisha5
Member since 2007 • 328 Posts

PlasmaBeam44

.......DAMN:evil:

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46606 Posts
:evil::evil::evil: I wanted those extra background wave colours :( :( :(
BTW: does this mean they will stop supporting the PSP-100X ???????
SH_guY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 SH_guY
Member since 2004 • 1108 Posts
dammit! that sucks :(
gregga86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gregga86
Member since 2004 • 82 Posts
Well what does that mean? Will games come out and require firmware 3.60? Does that mean my fat PSP will be out of the loop? No more new games for me?
bmaisey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 bmaisey
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts
Now look guys. Sony may make stupid decisions. But to not support the old psp, when the slim is not a huge update... thats mental asylum worthy. It doesnt say anywhere there that the old psp's wont get firmware 3.6. What it does say, is that the options that apply to the slim (umd cache, tv-out options etc etc) wont be available on old psp's... well duh!
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
i highly doubt sony would do something this stupid. They are 20+ million psp users already.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
thats sony for you... good systems but don't know how to handle them from there :|
OrianaDorta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OrianaDorta
Member since 2005 • 3114 Posts

What the...? ¬_¬ that makes me want to pimp my old fat psp, if u know what i mean

masprague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 masprague
Member since 2006 • 614 Posts

That's a relief. The future games probably can be run on 3.40 OE firmware.pwner1

I agree this means that all new games can not require a firmware upgrade to run. If new games require the upgraded firmware then Sony has lost a majority of their fan base that is not upgrading to the slim, which is not really offering anything super revolutionary.

Which BTW, the new slim is not gonig to convince someone, who is not already thinking about the PSP, to get one.....

redman100111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 redman100111
Member since 2006 • 533 Posts

So wait...

Does that mean they won't have anymore upgrades for the fat PSP, or there just giving the PSP slim the 3.60 firmware update to get sales going then there going to give it to the fat PSP?

Cause it sounds like awhole lot of bs to me...

Avatar image for BurningChimaera
BurningChimaera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BurningChimaera
Member since 2007 • 1255 Posts
So...what you're saying is that the current 'fat' psp won't be updated anymore?so it's gonna be stuck at 3.52 while the slim gets all the goodies?that's just cruel to everyone that isn't getting the slim. If sony is actually gonna do this, they are so gonna lose customers.
SeanN003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 SeanN003
Member since 2007 • 468 Posts

They'll probably relase like 3.61 for the phat or an alertnative 3.60. Sony isn't stupid enough to stop suporting the phats, anyway it's not like Sony anounced this, joystiq could be wrong

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PlasmaBeam44

So...what you're saying is that the current 'fat' psp won't be updated anymore?so it's gonna be stuck at 3.52 while the slim gets all the goodies?that's just cruel to everyone that isn't getting the slim. If sony is actually gonna do this, they are so gonna lose customers.BurningChimaera

More than likely the old PSP model will get a custom firmware that will get some of the new things Sony has in store with the PSP but will leave out the features that can only be used with the PSP Slims upgrades.

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts

If they don't update FW that's not that big a deal for the phat. It has pretty much all I want on a handheld atm anywway. BUT if they made it so that new games could only run on the newer FW, then that will piss off a hell of alot of people. Me for one, and anyone who bought their psp within the last few months. I don't want to spend £150 on a system only for it to become obsolete in 4 months.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
I think they'll have a different version of 3.60 for the old PSP rather then the 3.60 version for the PSP slim, i would imagine the TV output thing wouldn't be in the upgrade, nor the new backrounds ( maybe. )..Like a water-downed version for the upgrade to the bulky PSP.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PlasmaBeam44

I think they'll have a different version of 3.60 for the old PSP rather then the 3.60 version for the PSP slim, i would imagine the TV output thing wouldn't be in the upgrade, nor the new backrounds ( maybe. )..Like a water-downed version for the upgrade to the bulky PSP.WSGRandomPerson

The "phat" could get the new backgrounds, it's not like the Slim has a new LCD screen or anything.

Xx-CLOUD-xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Xx-CLOUD-xX
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts
To me that link was wrong... Sony wouldent do something like this. But uf this does happen does that mean is a game requires 3.60 + we cant play those games???
dunny55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dunny55
Member since 2007 • 819 Posts

3.70 will probly be for both systems. and i doubt new games will require 3.60 but if it does sony better make 3.61 so we can play.

Arsarabies22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Arsarabies22
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts

Now look guys. Sony may make stupid decisions. But to not support the old psp, when the slim is not a huge update... thats mental asylum worthy. It doesnt say anywhere there that the old psp's wont get firmware 3.6. What it does say, is that the options that apply to the slim (umd cache, tv-out options etc etc) wont be available on old psp's... well duh!bmaisey

of course not. the fw doesnt stop games its only cache and tv stuff for the slim update.

scxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 scxzor
Member since 2003 • 142 Posts

Uh... this article doesn't state that 3.60 won't be available for the old PSP. Many of its features simply won't work in the old PSP. Things like added color themes WILL be available for older models:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/31/joystiq-and-pspfb-hands-on-with-psp-2000-part-3/

The OP just misinterpreted the info.

boomtap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 boomtap
Member since 2007 • 108 Posts
I bet the 3.6 probably has specific programing for the slim, so they can't use it on the phat. My bet is that there will be a whole batch of new firmware upgrades in the near future for both systems. I think Sony is going to want to make a real big "Christmas push" this year and try and get some more units out so lame companies like EA start making games for them again.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AuthenticM
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts
Well it's pretty logical, since the old PSP doesn't have as much RAM as the Slim.
Avatar image for ThePhantomGamer
ThePhantomGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 ThePhantomGamer
Member since 2005 • 1816 Posts
That doesn't mean they'll stop makeing new updates for the older PSPs. For 3.61 (or what ever the nex one is) they'll release for both.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PlasmaBeam44

That doesn't mean they'll stop makeing new updates for the older PSPs. For 3.61 (or what ever the nex one is) they'll release for both.ThePhantomGamer

Nope. They release custom firmware for the PSP phat.

boomtap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 boomtap
Maybe they will call it Phatware.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PlasmaBeam44

Maybe they will call it Phatware.boomtap

Lol. That would be great.

Neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Neoyamaneko
Member since 2004 • 4207 Posts
Sony is trying to force a new format on us? They would NEVER do such a thing! :lol:
B-bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#31 B-bad
Member since 2002 • 5705 Posts
aw come on the PSP2000 is going to have different firmware than the current PSP when they do released a new update for the old PSP some thing just wont be added...... :(
B-bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#32 B-bad
Member since 2002 • 5705 Posts
Sony is trying to force a new format on us? They would NEVER do such a thing! :lol:Neoyamaneko
wow it's new hardware there are bound to be some changes it's not a new format since it still plays the same umd games..... give Sony a break for trying something new people have wanted video out for years.
boomtap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 boomtap

So do you think next year they will have a PSP 2?

I wonder if Microsoft is going to get into the handheld gaming market. Could you imagine that. It would have Microsoft Word on it, and it would be the size of the old xbox. It would run on 4 D size batteries, non re-chargable.

Avatar image for detroitpistons0
detroitpistons0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 detroitpistons0
Member since 2006 • 12910 Posts
If there was a PSP2 the next year, guys would be as pissed as hell if they bought the PSP 2000... I say at least 3 years til a PSP2...
boomtap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 boomtap
How long is it usually when they come out with the small playstation to the new playstation model. I seem to think that they did the small ps2 after the ps3 right? I am wondering what the future will be for the psp.
Dimb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dimb
Member since 2005 • 1178 Posts
yeah we probably have a long life span left on the original psp model. at least 2 years till we even hear anything about a new one. That said i can't see how they would leave their installed user base in the cold by not releasing further updates for the fat psp. Plus isn't really obvious that the old one can't have the cache and video out... it just doesn't have the hardware.
PSWii60_BOY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PSWii60_BOY
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts

What the...? ¬_¬ that makes me want to pimp my old fat psp, if u know what i mean

OrianaDorta
o i know wat ya mean
boomtap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 boomtap

Well if they did that, 20 million people would not be able to buy the game. So the smart money would say that the game manufactures would never allow that to happen. Cutting out your customer base like that would be stupid. So no it would never happen.

Sony is however going to make a huge push for the PSP next year. I think you will see so many units flying off the shelves that there will be more great games for this system than ever before. I mean, have you seen that GOW video? That game looks amazing! And in the video, they were playing it on a version 1 FYI.

chuckleechuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chuckleechuck
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

"thats sony for you... good systems but don't know how to handle them from there "

You can say THAT again, and then five more times after that.

-Karmum-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -Karmum-
Member since 2007 • 3775 Posts

PlasmaBeam44

Not a big deal. They will probably release something for both the PSP Slim and older version of the PSP a week or so after the PSP slim launch.

Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Big_Evil666
Member since 2004 • 13817 Posts
If it's true, that's total BS, if not than whoever made this threadshould be shot! Just kidding, but I think that's bullsh*t on Sony's part
nickprov26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nickprov26
Member since 2007 • 159 Posts
this sounds like bs to me since sony didnt officially say this, but i dont think u guys have to worry about the game because most of the best graphical games dont require even 3.00 version
baseballkid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 baseballkid7
Member since 2007 • 433 Posts

thats sony for you... good systems but don't know how to handle them from there :|darkfox101

Agreed 100%. It's a shame, really.

cudzooking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cudzooking
Member since 2007 • 556 Posts

That sucks.....

fathertroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 fathertroy
Member since 2006 • 1309 Posts
that sucks
Neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Neoyamaneko
Member since 2004 • 4207 Posts

So do you think next year they will have a PSP 2?

I wonder if Microsoft is going to get into the handheld gaming market. Could you imagine that. It would have Microsoft Word on it, and it would be the size of the old xbox. It would run on 4 D size batteries, non re-chargable.

boomtap

What's the point of bringing Microsoft or even Nintendo into the discussion, other than sating some insecurity you might have?

josip2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 josip2
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
:evil::evil::evil::evil: uff need to get the slim model ...
karlgauci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 karlgauci
Member since 2005 • 5504 Posts
They will eventually upgrade the fat PSP
jmdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 jmdude
Member since 2007 • 2521 Posts
Guys, Sony can make a firmware update anytime that is exclusively for the old PSP, Just wait. But if not, whats in it for us that owns the old PSP? Oh wait, I'll buy a PSP slim if the sony guys doesn'tprovide the old PSP with an update!