need games like the last of us

This topic is locked from further discussion.

buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 buffy88
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
so i just finished playing the last of us, and i really liked it.. but now i need something new to play... i'm kind of a noob to these kinds of games so i wanted something like the one i have been playing, but i heard that the game is quite unique, so i don't know if that exists. what i liked about the game was: there was a great story, there weren't to much heavy shooting ( i'm a lousy shot) i like better if i can shoot things from a distance with like a rifle or something. and i liked the stealth, but i wouldn't want to much stealth cuz i suck at that too:P so hopefully someone here can find me a game i can not suck at:) (edit) i ended up buying the first uncharted game and i really liked it.. but keep leaving other suggestions if you got anything good, and i'll put them on my list over games to try out in the fall and winter time;)
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Uncharted 2 is your best bet. Im sure alot of people agree.

Tomb raider 2013 also.

buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 buffy88
thanks i'll check those two out:)
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

You may like Hitman Absolution. It has stealth similar to Last of Us, shooting is similar and what not too.

buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 buffy88
thanks i'll check that one out also:)
DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Dishonored has stealth and action. Not too difficult either, but had an interesting and unique world with a good story.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Tomb Raider

buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 buffy88
thanks i'll check those two out:)
callsignalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 callsignalpha
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts
Dont forget Splinter Cell Blacklist . It has stealth but not the post-apocalyptic feel. Plus , I find every game to be unique in itself and hence mostly there are no substitutes for its experience! :)
Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

Beyond: Two Souls coming up in a few weeks time. It's another PS3 AAA on the way. Also check out Heavy Rain from the same developers. The story and mystique of these games is just amazing.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Yeah, waiting for Beyond: Two Souls might be your best bet. Not saying it will be as good as The Last of Us but it should be decent game with a unique story.
SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

I vote for Tomb Raider and Uncharteds. Tomb Raider especially for not having to shoot, you can often stealth your way through if you want. Plus I love using the bow.

slim_chance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 slim_chance
Member since 2005 • 319 Posts

heavy rain: great story, noob friendly.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I would skip Uncharted 2 and go for Uncharted 3 if I were you. I'm for the most part burnt out on shooters and I felt like UC3 had a better balance of the different elements (stealth/hand to hand/gunplay/traversal) all the while having less enemies throughout the game as well. So It would most likely be the better choice for you. Even though I'm the biggest Uncharted fan you'll meet I can admit that near the end of UC2 I felt like it was just tedious. Way too much shooting.

Just for reference my favourite games of this gen are Uncharted 3, The Last Of Us and GTAV.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
I'm playing Hitman Absolution at the moment and it's quite amazing. Definitely recommend it.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#16 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Tomb Raider, Uncharted trilogy, Mass Effect are all good choices
DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts
If you only go for Story then I can recommend The Walking Dead. There is not much shooting and stuff like that but more like about Story and Choice that you make to change the game. Really nice game and it was the game that make me want to try out The Last of Us. Uncharted Serie is really good. Tomb Raider is nice too. Metal Gear 4 is also very nice and it should be really cheap now.
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 buffy88
Dont forget Splinter Cell Blacklist . It has stealth but not the post-apocalyptic feel. Plus , I find every game to be unique in itself and hence mostly there are no substitutes for its experience! :)callsignalpha
i'll put it on my list thanks:)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 buffy88

Beyond: Two Souls coming up in a few weeks time. It's another PS3 AAA on the way. Also check out Heavy Rain from the same developers. The story and mystique of these games is just amazing.

metalgear-solid
beyond: two souls i have never heard of but i'll check it out.. heavy rain i actually considered once but then never bought it.. i might try that one.. thanks:)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 buffy88
Yeah, waiting for Beyond: Two Souls might be your best bet. Not saying it will be as good as The Last of Us but it should be decent game with a unique story.Lostboy1224
i'll definitely check it out.. thanks:)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 buffy88

I vote for Tomb Raider and Uncharteds. Tomb Raider especially for not having to shoot, you can often stealth your way through if you want. Plus I love using the bow.

SgtSutton
i actually ended up buying the first uncharted game. and i really like it so far.. i'll check out tomb raider too, i loved using the bow on TLOU. so if that is an option on tomb raider too i might have to try that on:P thanks:)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 buffy88

heavy rain: great story, noob friendly.

slim_chance
noob friendly, that's nice haha:P i'll check it out;) thanks:)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 buffy88

I would skip Uncharted 2 and go for Uncharted 3 if I were you. I'm for the most part burnt out on shooters and I felt like UC3 had a better balance of the different elements (stealth/hand to hand/gunplay/traversal) all the while having less enemies throughout the game as well. So It would most likely be the better choice for you. Even though I'm the biggest Uncharted fan you'll meet I can admit that near the end of UC2 I felt like it was just tedious. Way too much shooting.

Just for reference my favourite games of this gen are Uncharted 3, The Last Of Us and GTAV.

contracts420
really? i just bought the first uncharted and i'm loving it so far.. i might have to play uncharted 2 anyway, or at least try it.. i'm a bit ocd about just skipping things like that.. i just have to play it in the right order:P ( i know, i'm wierd:P) but thanks i'll keep that in mind:)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 buffy88
I'm playing Hitman Absolution at the moment and it's quite amazing. Definitely recommend it. Sokol4ever
i'll put it on my list;) thanks:)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 buffy88
Tomb Raider, Uncharted trilogy, Mass Effect are all good choicesThe_Last_Ride
i already started uncharted, but i'll be sure to check out the other two:) thanks:)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 buffy88
[QUOTE="DarkblueNinja"]If you only go for Story then I can recommend The Walking Dead. There is not much shooting and stuff like that but more like about Story and Choice that you make to change the game. Really nice game and it was the game that make me want to try out The Last of Us. Uncharted Serie is really good. Tomb Raider is nice too. Metal Gear 4 is also very nice and it should be really cheap now.

not really a big fan of zombies (even thou there were zombies in TLOU:P) and i don't watch the show, but if the story is good, i'll watch some gameplay and see if it might be something for me;) already started uncharted but i'll check out the other ones too.. thanks:)
delectabledoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 delectabledoz
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts
the last of us comes with the new ps3 bundle, i'm mainly into rpgs .. would i like this game? seems like it's got a story behind it which is good, seems interesting but don't like scary stuff and heard it is a scary story
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkblueNinja"]If you only go for Story then I can recommend The Walking Dead. There is not much shooting and stuff like that but more like about Story and Choice that you make to change the game. Really nice game and it was the game that make me want to try out The Last of Us. Uncharted Serie is really good. Tomb Raider is nice too. Metal Gear 4 is also very nice and it should be really cheap now.buffy88
not really a big fan of zombies (even thou there were zombies in TLOU:P) and i don't watch the show, but if the story is good, i'll watch some gameplay and see if it might be something for me;) already started uncharted but i'll check out the other ones too.. thanks:)

The Walking Dead video game is a different story from the show. I generally hate zombies and all sorts of media that uses them but The Walking Dead is really more about character interaction and your choices. The zombies are just a reason for the plot more than anything else.

You mentioned you don't like too much shooting so I wouldn't really recommend Tomb Raider. Granted the limited exploration might be enough to detract you from the shootouts so who knows.

MGS4 is only really recommendable if you have an interest in following a series that has an overarching storyline stemming from the PS1 and even further back to an extent to the NES. Granted it's certainly worth it if you follow up on the story (mostly 1 and 3) but jumping straight into 4 will confuse you to no end.

You've already delved into the Uncharted series so I say keep on with that, particularly 2 as it's one of the best games of this gen.

You're not gonna find too many games that can juggle various facets of gameplay well without resorting to the player shooting through hordes of enemies. It's integral to the genre you've recently found you liked (third-person shooter/action-adventure). So in that sense you are correct that The Last of Us is a bit unique in regards to balancing shooting with other things.

However, if you do decide that you're okay with the shooting or you're willing to give other games a shot I'd recommending checking out

• Tomb Raider (as already mentioned of course)
  • Dead Space
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Max Payne 3 (by far the heaviest in regards to shooting)

And if you want a bit of an open world to go with your game go for

• Red Dead Redemption
  • Mass Effect trilogy (all 3 games for $60, tremendous value)
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Sleeping Dogs
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 buffy88
the last of us comes with the new ps3 bundle, i'm mainly into rpgs .. would i like this game? seems like it's got a story behind it which is good, seems interesting but don't like scary stuff and heard it is a scary storydelectabledoz
i'm not really a gamer and don't know the technical terms:P so i don't know if you'll like the game.. but for me who has never played any games like this, it was awesome!! it has a really good story that gets you hooked right away.. i was having a hard time putting the game away cuz i wanted to know what would happen next.. and I don't really think it's a scary game. i mean it keeps you on you toes but it doesn't make you jump like in amnesia or something like that.. it's more thrilling, like when you walk into a room and you can hear that it's full of clickers and you only have one knife left, it's just really exiting.. it's definitely a game worth playing at least once in your life:P
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 buffy88

[QUOTE="buffy88"][QUOTE="DarkblueNinja"]If you only go for Story then I can recommend The Walking Dead. There is not much shooting and stuff like that but more like about Story and Choice that you make to change the game. Really nice game and it was the game that make me want to try out The Last of Us. Uncharted Serie is really good. Tomb Raider is nice too. Metal Gear 4 is also very nice and it should be really cheap now.whiskeystrike

The Walking Dead video game is a different story from the show. I generally hate zombies and all sorts of media that uses them but The Walking Dead is really more about character interaction and your choices. The zombies are just a reason for the plot more than anything else.

You mentioned you don't like too much shooting so I wouldn't really recommend Tomb Raider. Granted the limited exploration might be enough to detract you from the shootouts so who knows.

MGS4 is only really recommendable if you have an interest in following a series that has an overarching storyline stemming from the PS1 and even further back to an extent to the NES. Granted it's certainly worth it if you follow up on the story (mostly 1 and 3) but jumping straight into 4 will confuse you to no end.

You've already delved into the Uncharted series so I say keep on with that, particularly 2 as it's one of the best games of this gen.

You're not gonna find too many games that can juggle various facets of gameplay well without resorting to the player shooting through hordes of enemies. It's integral to the genre you've recently found you liked (third-person shooter/action-adventure). So in that sense you are correct that The Last of Us is a bit unique in regards to balancing shooting with other things.

However, if you do decide that you're okay with the shooting or you're willing to give other games a shot I'd recommending checking out

Tomb Raider (as already mentioned of course)Dead SpaceResident Evil 5Max Payne 3 (by far the heaviest in regards to shooting)

And if you want a bit of an open world to go with your game go for

Red Dead RedemptionMass Effect trilogy (all 3 games for $60, tremendous value)Grand Theft Auto VSleeping Dogs

i watched some the walking dead gameplay yesterday and i think i might give it a try after i finish uncharted, it actually looked pretty good.. i'll also take all of that under consideration when choosing a game;) and i'll put all of those games on my list:) also thank you for taking your time explaining to me:) i'm a noob so i really appreciate it:)
delectabledoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 delectabledoz
so has a good story and you follow it and the characters? reviews do look very good.. might get that bundle!
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
Original Uncharted (my favorite) Uncharted 2 (best in the series) and Uncharted 3 are all great titles. Try them out :)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 buffy88
so has a good story and you follow it and the characters? reviews do look very good.. might get that bundle! delectabledoz
yes you follow the story and the characters, you don't get to like choose not to save that person or decide to kill that one.. but it's still a really really good game;)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 buffy88
Original Uncharted (my favorite) Uncharted 2 (best in the series) and Uncharted 3 are all great titles. Try them out :) Sokol4ever
i've just started playing uncharted, and i liked it so much i went and bought uncharted 2 and 3 yesterday:P
delectabledoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 delectabledoz
what do you get to do in it?
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 buffy88
what do you get to do in it? delectabledoz
don't know if i'm the right person to ask this but i'll try:) you can collect different collectibles.. they're not always right in front of you so you have to go look for them.. so you do get to walk around freely and explore..you just don't get to choose a different path. like you might stumble over a safe, but if you haven't looked around for the combination you won't get the ammo or important papers or letters that's inside it. i really liked that about the game, the little details.. like i can't just run through each chapter, cuz then i might not get the full story, you know? also you can find lots of tools laying around that you can us to upgrade your weapons and skills... i don't know what else you want to know, i mean you can run around kill zombies, or choose not to and just sneak past them.. sorry i don't know what else to tell you, you just have to try it and see.. it's all the little things you discover through the game and the back and forth between joel and ellie that gets to you.. you really start the care about the characters and hope that it all goes well for them.. also i have yet to meet someone who didn't like this game;);)
delectabledoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 delectabledoz
ok thanks.. sounds all good then :) need to try it..
withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

If you like a great story and stealth based games you can't go far wrong with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's an First person RPG but it blew me away when I played it and I really hate first person games.

You can play through the entire game using stealth and a sniper rifle/ Tranqualizer gun. It's an absolutely fantastic game.

It's my GOTG so far just ahead of TLOU.

You won't regret it.

buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 buffy88

If you like a great story and stealth based games you can't go far wrong with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's an First person RPG but it blew me away when I played it and I really hate first person games.

You can play through the entire game using stealth and a sniper rifle/ Tranqualizer gun. It's an absolutely fantastic game.

It's my GOTG so far just ahead of TLOU.

You won't regret it.

withe1982
sounds awesome.. i'll give it a try:) thanks:)
yourmate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 yourmate
Member since 2010 • 165 Posts
Tomb Raider is a must if you liked Last of Us
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#41 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Uncharted series and The Walking Dead are good choices

buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 buffy88
Tomb Raider is a must if you liked Last of Usyourmate
ok i'll give it a try then:) thanks:)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 buffy88

Uncharted series and The Walking Dead are good choices

benleslie5
already playing uncharted, but i'll check out the walking dead:) thanks:)
voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
I want you to know that hte game i am recommending is nothing like last of us.. however if u like good story with sparse gameplay then do give ico and shadow of colossus a chance...
harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

I just started TLoU yesterday (a little late to the party) and probably got about a quarter through. Honestly, the game reminds me of Half Life 2, and is possibly my favorite game since HL2. Of course the game looks good, but the story, the gameplay, the characters with so much personality. God I love this game, but yeah, you need to play HL2 for sure.

buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 buffy88
I want you to know that hte game i am recommending is nothing like last of us.. however if u like good story with sparse gameplay then do give ico and shadow of colossus a chance...voljin1987
if you have a good game then please recommend them.. the only reason i wanted a game like TLOU is cuz i know i like that type of game.. i'll try different types of games if i think they look good.. i'm kind of new to these types of games cuz i usually play games like crash bandicoot and spyro.. i'll definitely check those out:) thanks:)
buffy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 buffy88

I just started TLoU yesterday (a little late to the party) and probably got about a quarter through. Honestly, the game reminds me of Half Life 2, and is possibly my favorite game since HL2. Of course the game looks good, but the story, the gameplay, the characters with so much personality. God I love this game, but yeah, you need to play HL2 for sure.

harrisi17
i know right? that game has it all.. it just might be the perfect game(that coming from a noob) but yeah it's just so good.. i even got my mom to start playing it xD i'll check out half life 2 also;) thanks:)
hamidbutt30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hamidbutt30

play i m alive i hope u like very much

BigBangTheory_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BigBangTheory_
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts

@marcheegsr: Am i the only one who thinks 3 was better?