My PS3 wont work using regular component cables

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for callinthewhambu
callinthewhambu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 callinthewhambu
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hi guys, I am in desperate need of some help. I recently just purchased a used 40gb ps3 from a buddy of mine and when he showed it to me everything looked good. However he was running it through hdmi and I am just using the regular av cable (red, yellow and white) when I go to hook it up to my tv (an old samsung) all I get is a black screen. Now i know the first thing your going to want to say is that I have to hold down the power button when its on and have it restore the setting. However I have tried that and it still is not working. I tried it for all of the av outlets on my tv as well as the s video connection for my tv. Is there anything else I could try???? PLEASE HELP I just want to play ps3. Thank a lot
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I would guess the video output is set to hdmi. You need to change the output to component cables.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Umm... that's composite video, not component. The quickest thing to do is to just reset the PS3.

1. Power Off the PS3 via the power switch in back and power back on w/switch.

2. Hold Power Button on the Front until you hear 3 beeps.

Also be sure that the TV is set to the correct video input. Sometimes you have to go into the TV's menu system and enable the video inputs from there. Otherwise the TV input button on your remote won't cycle through them all.

As for S-video, it uses the same signal as A/V cable, so... there is no difference between the two as far as something showing on your TV. S-video is a lot clearer, though. There is a difference between HDMI and A/V, in that if the PS3 is set for HDMI, it's not going to show anything for A/V. I would think that the sound would still play though. But never tested it, myself.