My PS3 won't show up on TV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by COBHC_reaper (1793 posts) -

I've been using my PS3 with a HDMI port on a HDTV, I took it with me out of town and I used the standard cables(yellow,white,red) on a standard tv, and nothing is showing up

I really hope there is a way to fix this because otherwise we will have nothing to do for 2 weeks.

#2 Posted by FF6fan (1637 posts) -

Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds(or until it beeps) to reset the settings in order to have it go through the connection that the PS3 is connected through.

#3 Posted by COBHC_reaper (1793 posts) -
Thanks I'll try that
#4 Posted by djxaquaxblue (2539 posts) -

I've been using my PS3 with a HDMI port on a HDTV, I took it with me out of town and I used the standard cables(yellow,white,red) on a standard tv, and nothing is showing up

I really hope there is a way to fix this because otherwise we will have nothing to do for 2 weeks.

COBHC_reaper

its because you didnt reset the settings before you went of town. you pretty much left it on the HDMI settings so hence...using the standard cables will not work untill you changed the settings. anyways do what the guy said above me and next time before you go out of town just switch the settings before hand so you dont come to this again. happens to a lot of us.

#5 Posted by itwiz90 (3037 posts) -

Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds(or until it beeps) to reset the settings in order to have it go through the connection that the PS3 is connected through.

FF6fan

He is absolutley right. You have to reset the connection type.

#6 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
And I wish they'd release a firmware upgrade that would fix this upscaling/downscaling issue already. And just a forewarning: Dont abuse the reset button. My 60GB PS3 would no longer reset after using the reset trick three times. So just becareful.
#7 Posted by eanbowman (75 posts) -

I hope you figure things out.

I had HDMI working on my TV before I sent it out to be repaired. It's V7 VC-3207 LCD TV/DVD Combo.

When I got the TV back I tried to hook my PS3 back up to it last night and the HDMI didn't work.

My laptop displays HDMI on it using the exact same cable.

There has been a software update while my TV was out for repairs.

I've tried resetting the configuration several times. I've tried unplugging both the PS3 and TV for about 30 seconds and trying everything again. I've tried manually configuring the PS3 to use HDMI.

All I get is a black screen. Last night I think I read something about the PS3 failing to handshake HDCP with some devices. Maybe these devices, including my TV, were compromised (they have keys to be able to communicate using HDCP) and were dropped from support by Sony. If this is the case, I want a new effing TV from SOMEBODY.

:C

[edit] Oops, I know this is off topic. I didn't mean to reply to this thread. LOL

#8 Posted by tgschmidt (3167 posts) -

I hope you figure things out.

I had HDMI working on my TV before I sent it out to be repaired. It's V7 VC-3207 LCD TV/DVD Combo.

When I got the TV back I tried to hook my PS3 back up to it last night and the HDMI didn't work.

My laptop displays HDMI on it using the exact same cable.

There has been a software update while my TV was out for repairs.

I've tried resetting the configuration several times. I've tried unplugging both the PS3 and TV for about 30 seconds and trying everything again. I've tried manually configuring the PS3 to use HDMI.

All I get is a black screen. Last night I think I read something about the PS3 failing to handshake HDCP with some devices. Maybe these devices, including my TV, were compromised (they have keys to be able to communicate using HDCP) and were dropped from support by Sony. If this is the case, I want a new effing TV from SOMEBODY.

:C

eanbowman
you do realize you just answered a topic from july, right? :)
#9 Posted by eanbowman (75 posts) -
You realise you just replied to a reply of a topic from July, right? ;D
#10 Posted by bucktizzyy (25 posts) -
my ps3 will not show the screen..everything works but when i turn it on all i get is a black screen.and my controllers wont register.n i held the power button to reset it and it still just shows a blac screen..omgg..pleaseee help me
#11 Posted by SikKwuN (1442 posts) -
is the ps3... plugged into the tv? usually the stupid little things are the ones we forget the most. it happens to me all the time T_T
#12 Posted by Dark-Tool (310 posts) -
You probably didn't reset it right...try holding down the power/reset again until it beeps...and just double check your connections to the TV and make sure your on the right video mode if your on HDMI cables now of course make sure your on the correct HDMI mode on the TV or vic versa with component.
#13 Posted by TheTenth10 (3085 posts) -

my ps3 will not show the screen..everything works but when i turn it on all i get is a black screen.and my controllers wont register.n i held the power button to reset it and it still just shows a blac screen..omgg..pleaseee help mebucktizzyy

do you have sound? if yes, I'll check at home to guide you going right and up/down on the XMB to get back to the good settings, what's the TV you're using again? (SD TV or HD TV), try to reset your controller (there a small hole about the center on the back of the PS3)

#14 Posted by ysef95 (450 posts) -

i had the same problem as the guy who started this topic an i tried the reset thing but it isn't working

#15 Posted by daone247 (25 posts) -
i held da power button on da ps3 for a while until it beeped an turned off but nothing happened it still saids no signal
#16 Posted by jonnutd08 (25 posts) -
Ive had ma ps3 for about 2 years now and i recently had the yellow light of death however that was then fixed. now that ive got it back the playstation runs fine but it wont show up anywhere on ma tv and sometimes when i try a different port i get some sound and a strange mix of colours. suggestions?
#17 Posted by ProShottz (25 posts) -
Ive got the same problem ive had it working three times already but then it just goes off i have had this yellow light of death but fixed it about 8 times now try turning it off and on for a while differently and you just might be able to get it working
#18 Posted by boyyo111 (25 posts) -
Thanks all for helping him. I had the same problem and got it fixed using this thread. I found this is the best way to do it. Have ps3 on stand by (Connected to standard tv *NOT HDMI* with normal cords.) Press and hold the turn on button til the green light flashs 1 time than wait bout 30 seconds. Enjoy. And thanks for the help all, sony should figure a way to make it reset every time without a problem. That would be nice.
#19 Posted by Ben-gc (25 posts) -
Thanks alot for this information, i really appreciate it and im happy now, cos' it worked!!! :)
#20 Posted by TrueProphecy22 (1757 posts) -

The "strange mix of colours" problem could be a grounding issue. When I purchased my PS3, plugging the system in would only show a mix of colours on my television. I fixed this by removing the grounding plug. You can do this by buying a cheap extension cord and breaking off the grounding plug (the larger of the metal prongs). Make sure to connect that into a surge protector and if that was the problem, your mix of colours should go away.

#21 Posted by lasseeb (1186 posts) -

YEEEEY! 2 1/2 year old thread!

#22 Posted by rawrrr2009 (25 posts) -
Alrighty, same problem... I just got a refurbished PS3 and it came with one of those S-Video/AV cords that plugs into the PS2/PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox, and GameCube. Anyway, the cord works for the Xbox 360, but it's definitely possible the PS2/PS3 extension might be bad. Okay, so I have the cords plugged in correctly and on the right channel because I just tried it with the 360 without unplugging any cords or changing anything on the TV and it worked. But when I switch inputs from the 360 to the PS3 and then turn the PS3 on, the screen stays black. This PS3 used to be on a HDMI TV before it was sent to me, but my TV does not support that. So I tried holding the power button down, waiting for it to beep, and releasing it, but I don't think it reset anything because nothing changed. Then I turned the main PS3 power off, waited 30 seconds, turned it on, and tried to hold the power button down again, still nothing. Then I held it past the beep to where it shut it off, turned it back on, and STILL nothing. Where's the reset button on the PS3? Thank you all.
#23 Posted by tenornation (25 posts) -
I know that this is incredibly late, but I had the exact same problem, and I'm on Spring Break with nothing to do! After reading the posts, I tried what all of you guys said, and it still wouldn't get my PS3 to show on the tv...so then I turned to pg. 18 of the manual "Turn off the system, and then turn it on again..for at least 5 seconds (until the system beeps twice)." It worked!
#24 Posted by tenornation (25 posts) -
Oops, I meant "Turn off the system, and then turn it on again by pressing the power button.." yaddah yaddah yaddah
#25 Posted by Tylerpav55 (25 posts) -
Hey, I really need help. I bought the official Bluetooth headset today and ever since my ps3 has been acting weird. It froze up earlier Nd showed that strange mix of colors. I've tried resetting it and doing everything but nothing works. Every now and then it will work but about a minute later it freezes again. I did what you said about taking out the grounding thing but it still didn't work. If you have any suggestions that would be awesome! Summer just started and I can't afford a whole new ps3!!!
#26 Posted by cow25 (25 posts) -
my ps3 worked on my normal tv den wen i changed games my ps3 doesnt come on anymore
#27 Posted by Raekwon0000 (25 posts) -
My PS3 Wont Show On My Tv Or Even Turn Of When I Press The Button What Do I'm Supposed To Do I Just Added 500.00 Dollars To My Account
#28 Posted by CineMami75 (25 posts) -

FF6fan
THANKS SWEETEI UR A CONSOLE SAVOR..UR DA BEST
#29 Posted by slimzz (25 posts) -
i only had my ps3 for a year and all of a sudden it stop working. i would turn it on but it wont show up on my screen i am on the right channel and i dont use hdmi tv plz help me
#30 Posted by swaggtothemax (25 posts) -
I had my ps3 for about 2 months , i dropped it by accident ! then when i tried turning it on , nothing showed in the screen ! :( i also tried turning it on with the controller but , it also didnt work ! i tried to hold the power button for 15 seconds , but nothing still wouldnt show up on the screen !! can someone please help me ! please i will really apreciate it ! MAY GOD BLESS ALL WHO HELPS ME
#31 Posted by maxpower416 (25 posts) -
My ps3 won't make a connection using an HDMI or AV cables! What can I do? Is it done and over with?
#32 Posted by maxpower416 (25 posts) -
My ps3 won't show up on my tv using an HDMI cable or the av cables. What should I do? Is it done for?
#33 Posted by Mclovin_15 (25 posts) -
My Ps3 isnt showing up on my tv i have no clue why. I brought it to my friends house to use, he used his HDMI cord but i Usually use the red white and yellow cord at home. I brought it home and now it wont show up on the screen HELLLLLPPP PLEEAAAAAAAAAASEE!!!!!!
#34 Posted by Tera_Bite (93 posts) -

You will have to reset your Ps3's visual output, since you said that you recently used your friend's HDMI cable. With your ps3 off, press and hold the on switch until it beeps a few times.

#35 Posted by NMRJoy19 (25 posts) -
My family and I just had the exact same problem and were freaking out! But that trick worked! Thanks for saving our Christmas :)
#37 Posted by gavemepinkeye (25 posts) -
my tv is saying that there is no signal through my video1 to my plastation3 and we tried differnt things differnt plugs and shutting off the plastaion and tv and everything and it wont work it never happend b4 and all we did was plug it into our tv downstairs what happend?? how do i fix this ?
#38 Posted by Dogswithguns (11359 posts) -
Press and hold the power button til you hear 3 beeps to turn it off.. then turn you PS4 back on... I mean your PS3. lol
#39 Posted by jcopp72 (5370 posts) -
this thread is 3 years old and it has been brought back about 5 times, let it die already.
#40 Posted by ccanuel (25 posts) -
so ive been using my ps3 on a HDTV with an HDMI cord , but now ive moved it to a different HDTV with the same HDMI cord and it isnt wokring , i know i cant reset it from the first tv that works , but the thing is im using the SAME cord .. just for a different tv . how does this work ...
#41 Posted by Mistressnadia (25 posts) -
Have the same problem reset button doesn't work sometimes I get a picture for a second then boom nothinng
#42 Posted by dotderper (25 posts) -
i had the same problem to him but ive tried to do what you said but it still doesnt show up
#43 Posted by Asian07 (25 posts) -
If it does that then try pressing it 8 times really fast
#44 Posted by sanchez01 (1792 posts) -

FF6fan

You are a MF'in Life Saver. I almost cried today when my ps3 did not show up on my buddies tv's (tried 3 of them) and then i read this... I wish to give you an Internet Five!

#45 Posted by Skuuzz (25 posts) -
Thank you. this worked. I thought I broke the damn thing.
#46 Posted by phant0msn3ak3r (25 posts) -

big problems here.

i tried to connect with hdmi and scard cable (nothing happens , not even any sound)

Pressed and hold the powerbutton trick also don't work.

Tried to get to recovery mode but that also fails.

Tried differnt tv -> again FAIL!!!!!

Anyone had same problem?

Thinking of opening the ps3 and look myself...

Avatar image for NicoleJones2525
#47 Posted by NicoleJones2525 (25 posts) -
So I just got my PS3 last December and I didn't use it much mainly because I didn't have a TV. I moved up to college in July and purchased a TV and I have had no problems what so ever with my PS3 or this TV and it was working perfectly fine lastnight and then today I try to use it and nothing will show up. I turned it on and it was a blotchy screen so i turned it off and back on again and then it was fine and I started watching Netflix. Then after about 30 mins it was a messed up again, it is not the TV because the TV works fine with everything else. I have tried holding the power button down and resetting it and doing all the plugging and unplugging and everything and nothing will work... what do i do?
#48 Posted by Alemus18 (25 posts) -
i wanna change it to hdmi again how do i do it
#49 Posted by shyndelite (25 posts) -
I ve tried this process serveral times but it won't work.............someone pls help
#50 Posted by devkp39 (25 posts) -
just happened to me i was freaking out like why isnt this resetting and then i read ur comment and im ohhh im such a dumbass