My PS3 is F-ed up and Sony's doing nothing about it.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for thenordichammer
thenordichammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thenordichammer
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Alright guys I'm new to the forum here and only so because I have a question for everyone. Here it goes.

So I bought my PS3 in August of this year. It was fine brand new the box looked good execpt on the side it was a little crinkled, but whatever right? Ok so I open the box and guess what my PS3 is **** up. It's nothing major, in fact it doesn't really screw with the system at all, but here's what it is. The touch panel with the Eject and Power buttons on the front is peeling off. I pushed it back down and it seemed to be ok. About two days later after thinking I should probably get it replaced I go back to the store, who wont take it back because it's a hardware problem and they can't service it. Ok so I call sony and they say that if it happens again they should be able to service it under warrenty. About two months later I take the thing to College and it's sitting in my dorm room and guess what? The panels peeling off again, worse this time. So I call sony and tell me that if I fill out a service request they can take care of it and it will be able to be serviced.

Well today I get an email back saying that the service request was denied. I call sony twice and the first time speak to a low level guy who tells me I have to pay $130 to get it fixed because they don't ship out systems that way or I should go through the retailer. So I call the store and they say that they really don't think they can take it back because it's a hardware problem and they really can't sell it again. So I talk to the store guy some more and he tells me that since the box was fine (I.E. no puntures and only a tiny bit of crumpling on the corner) that it's on sonys head. He tells me that he'll talk to his managers. I call sony back and go straight to a manager I explain to him my problem and he tells me that it has been reviewed by a higher up and I have to pay $130 I tell him hell no I bought it brand new and broke the seal myself. Now this pisses me off because the only reason I bought a PS3 over a 360 was because I had a great PS2 and also MGS3. I keep telling this guy that this was like this WHEN I BOUGHT IT, but he says there is nothing sony can do because they have careful inspections of the PS3 and they wouldn't ship one that way so they can avoid these kind of problems. Well **** son, I've got one of those problems and they aren't doing **** about it. I'm not paying $130 to fix a system that shouldn't need it and I'll be damned that they consider this "out of warrenty". I called back the store I bought it from and they say that sony is being ridiculous, the guys going to talk to his distributer and hope he can work something out for me. And now I'm telling you guys in the hopes that people learn something about Sony or that one of you gamers has some connections that can help me. If Sony's not going to fix my system that should be in perfect condition than I'm going to get in touch with every gamer I can and hopefully put a dent in their publicity.

Thanks guys from one gamer to another I know that you all can feel my pain and frustration with the situation.

ic1male

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ic1male
Member since 2004 • 348 Posts
Is it just an American thing that you don't get 1 year's warranty? I know in the UK, if the console goes wrong you can take it back to the retailer as the sales contract is with them not Sony. They are supposed to just take it back and give you a brand new one.
Avatar image for deactivated-5855efbca02a1
deactivated-5855efbca02a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 deactivated-5855efbca02a1
Member since 2005 • 9341 Posts
I feel your pain :( Can I ask who you bought it off? Cos they seem to be doing you alot more help than Sony are. I wish you good luck with your unfortunate problem.
thenordichammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thenordichammer

The system should still be in warrenty.

I talked to the asistant manager or something of the sort.

Hey guys if it's not to much trouble to ask It would be a great help if you could get this circulating around the internet.

thenordichammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thenordichammer

I feel your pain :( Can I ask who you bought it off? Cos they seem to be doing you alot more help than Sony are. I wish you good luck with your unfortunate problem.microwavedapple
I bought it from a store called C and C games in my home town, they are a small like 2 location busisness.

SC001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SC001
Member since 2006 • 84 Posts
lol you just learned another lesson : Never buy a crinkled box
Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts

The system should still be in warrenty.

I talked to the asistant manager or something of the sort.

Hey guys if it's not to much trouble to ask It would be a great help if you could get this circulating around the internet.

thenordichammer

There's a website that could help you but I forgot where it is. Anyone remember the site where the guy had the Sig's from Halo 3 erased from his 360 and the site published it and Microsoft contacted him?? That be the site to go for.

owskie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 owskie
Member since 2003 • 425 Posts

your joking right... you honestly think sony carefully carries it over to everystore making sure nothing happens, have you ever worked in a warehouse have you seen how beat things get from shipping. Its probably not sonys fault at all its more of the people who took it to the store or the store itself.

IMO i think after the first time it happened when you first got it home you should just have taken it back the store would just give you a new one.

thenordichammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thenordichammer

your joking right... you honestly think sony carefully carries it over to everystore making sure nothing happens, have you ever worked in a warehouse have you seen how beat things get from shipping. Its probably not sonys fault at all its more of the people who took it to the store or the store itself.

IMO i think after the first time it happened when you first got it home you should just have taken it back the store would just give you a new one.

owskie

I called them and took it in the next day.

Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Patriot298

Here ya go man......Found it...... http://hawtymcbloggy.com/2008/03/07/bungie-unscrews-previously-screwed-gamer/

Click the contact link at the top and tell the story to that guy. Good luck!:D

thenordichammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thenordichammer
Thanks dude, I appreciate it more than you know.
Lauryn2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#14 Lauryn2000
Member since 2005 • 2582 Posts
They probably don't think you know your consumer rights...so what you do is call the Better Business Bureau and I bet Sony might sing a different tune.......
Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts
First raise all hell at the store because they should replace it so early after purchase. Also I would call sony and ask for a superviser and nicely and calmly explain the situation and if they still refuse to repair file a complaint with the better buisness burea. I think you may have made a mistake by not taking it back to the store right away. Read the warranty throughly and if you want to go the extra mile talk to a lawyer. Kinda shocked Sony not willing to do a warranty repair. Another thing, I would box it up and take it to the store and demand they replace it or contact sony about warranty repair through the store. IMO your issue is mainly with the store and would recommend not shopping there again.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
As soon as you opened it you should have exchanged it for a new one and not wait 2 months.
Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Patriot298

Thanks dude, I appreciate it more than you know.thenordichammer

No problem man! glad to help!8)

thenordichammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thenordichammer

As soon as you opened it you should have exchanged it for a new one and not wait 2 months.wooooode

Tried to the store wouldn't take it back.

darkiiix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darkiiix
Member since 2004 • 127 Posts
www.ripoffreport.com . . .but its the store not Sony all Sony has to do is replace and fix lemons (tech failer like the rrod or thing falling off on a lot of systems) not damage systems you or the store pay for that.
YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 YourDaddy88
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

[QUOTE="wooooode"]As soon as you opened it you should have exchanged it for a new one and not wait 2 months.thenordichammer

Tried to the store wouldn't take it back.

And you waited 2 months to call Sony?? Next time, super glue whatever's peeling off and be done with it. Does the store have a refund/return policy??? If no, then you shouldn't have bought it there. All due respect, this thing ain't cheap, don't buy it at a cheap store. Call Sony back and ask for a manager, demand one if you have to, just be patient, don't snap, and explain everything to him. I hopw it works out for you.

Do you have any pics for us? Can you take some??

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
The store should have taken care of it for you when you first contacted them being that it was so close to when you purchased it. It's their job as the retailer. They should have been the ones to deal with Sony.
darkiiix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darkiiix
Member since 2004 • 127 Posts

The store should have taken care of it for you when you first contacted them being that it was so close to when you purchased it. It's their job as the retailer. They should have been the ones to deal with Sony.emitsu97

Right

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I bought a PS3 from Gamestop and it was all scratched up right out of the box. I would have taken it back but I lost my receipt go figure. I've had it sence Febuary and hasnt given me any problems other then freezing up 2 or 3 times.

yanks1112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 yanks1112
Member since 2005 • 867 Posts

They probably don't think you know your consumer rights...so what you do is call the Better Business Bureau and I bet Sony might sing a different tune.......Lauryn2000

That is exactly what you need to do. The is set up to ensure that the customer's rights are not violated. Posting on a forum will not help. But it does sounds like your beef is with the place you bought it from. Is the PS3 you bought 2nd hand? If it is, Sony will not validate the warranty.

Here's the link to the Better Business Bureau...good luck

http://welcome.bbb.org/

PS3Gamer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PS3Gamer_1
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts

First raise all hell at the store because they should replace it so early after purchase. Also I would call sony and ask for a superviser and nicely and calmly explain the situation and if they still refuse to repair file a complaint with the better buisness burea. I think you may have made a mistake by not taking it back to the store right away. Read the warranty throughly and if you want to go the extra mile talk to a lawyer. Kinda shocked Sony not willing to do a warranty repair. Another thing, I would box it up and take it to the store and demand they replace it or contact sony about warranty repair through the store. IMO your issue is mainly with the store and would recommend not shopping there again.CorporateHammer

Agree. The store refusing to exchange it is at fault first. They should have exchnaged your ps3, no questions asked, espeically if you returned it the following 2 days after. The store then is responsible for taking it up with sony, not you. Their claim that it is hardware failure is none of your concern, that is their concern. Your first gripe should be with them, not Sony. That said, I would press the store for a replacement first. Granted they are being helpful, but only becuase they know that they are obligated to exchange the system for a new one.

Now with Sony I am surprised, but see their point. They told you, correctly, that the store is responsible, especially since they don't know how the store keeps the ps3 in storage. Secondly, this is why I steer clear of small stores when it comes to electronics, since it's more of a hassle when things like this come along. Also I buy the purchase plan, since I can return the itmes every few years, no questions asked. But again, deal with the store first, if that fails, then try to push sony into giving you a freebie. If not, suck it up and pay the $130.

Or you can, and I don't really like this idea, but you can purchase another ps3 from the same store, different location, and put your messed up ps3 and return it, if they offer money back guarantee. This is probably what happened to your system, you prob got on of these systems, the old bait and swtich ( I think I messed up that cliche up, big time!).

Anyways, good luck and keep us posted!!

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

Warranty from Sony? Silly people, good luck with that.

Even when PS2's were dropping left and right with DRE, Sony wouldn't even man up and say there was a problem. Best of luck getting them to fix anything at all for you. I went with a 2 year Best Buy Warranty on my PS3.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Sony are a company of criminals, they won't help you. Their have a very bad history with warranties.
Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

Well i'm not gonna lol about this one but put something serious here that always works for meHell with Sony and those whole F*gg*t *ss*s at the store you need to buy a new PS3 at an other storeand save the RECEIT!!!!!! or ticket, coupon whatever it's called in the states ...
now you have a brandnew ps3 and they got an broken one SC001

Or you can, and I don't really like this idea, but you can purchase another ps3 from the same store, different location, and put your messed up ps3 and return it, if they offer money back guarantee. This is probably what happened to your system, you prob got on of these systems, the old bait and swtich ( I think I messed up that cliche up, big time!). PS3Gamer_1

These 2 suggestions are full of unnecessary suckage.

The store should have taken your PS3 back. I had a PS3 with total hardware failure (red flashing light) after I had played it for 30 days -- I took it back to the store I bought it from and told them it died and they gave me my money back without a hassle. There was no need to try to stick the problem on some other innocent customer.

IMO it would be a major act of suckage to repackage a broken system and not tell the store. Because you know they will put it back on the shelf and some other innocent customer will be stuck with your broken system. That is not right.

If you chose to purchase your PS3 at a store with a crappy return policy -- that was your choice. You should take the consequences and not try to be a jerk to other people.

PS3Gamer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PS3Gamer_1
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts

[QUOTE="SC001"]

Well i'm not gonna lol about this one but put something serious here that always works for meHell with Sony and those whole F*gg*t *ss*s at the store you need to buy a new PS3 at an other storeand save the RECEIT!!!!!! or ticket, coupon whatever it's called in the states ...
now you have a brandnew ps3 and they got an broken one Solori

Or you can, and I don't really like this idea, but you can purchase another ps3 from the same store, different location, and put your messed up ps3 and return it, if they offer money back guarantee. This is probably what happened to your system, you prob got on of these systems, the old bait and swtich ( I think I messed up that cliche up, big time!). PS3Gamer_1

These 2 suggestions are full of unnecessary suckage.

The store should have taken your PS3 back. I had a PS3 with total hardware failure (red flashing light) after I had played it for 30 days -- I took it back to the store I bought it from and told them it died and they gave me my money back without a hassle. There was no need to try to stick the problem on some other innocent customer.

IMO it would be a major act of suckage to repackage a broken system and not tell the store. Because you know they will put it back on the shelf and some other innocent customer will be stuck with your broken system. That is not right.

If you chose to purchase your PS3 at a store with a crappy return policy -- that was your choice. You should take the consequences and not try to be a jerk to other people.

I didn't suggest he do this. I clearly stated I don't like this idea, especially when it has happened to me, but just threw it out there. Can't be naive to the fact that this indeed happens a lot! But he is getting screwed by the store, and if he wasn't smart enough to exercise his consumer rights by demanding and pushing for an exchange, then maybe he can do this to the store, same store he purchased it from. We have to be realistic, this is probably what happened to him, he got stuck with a "returned" system sold off as new, whether the store had knowledge of it or not. What do you think happens when you return soemthing to circuit city or best buy, they repackage it, and restock it, even if it is a faulty unit. They don't necessarily return it to the manufacturers, even when it should be.

He has already told the store, and he is the one who is getting majorly screwed. Figured he could have his options, and if he is ok with doing it, that's on him. But he has choices, although not all of the may be great.

Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 Amir29
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts

I work in retail and I can tell you this, the store ITSELF should have replaced it when you first approached them with the problem. The crink in the corner is evidence of shock damage. Whether it be the shipping method of their distributor, or their inability to store it properly, within the first 30 days, the store SHOULD have replaced it immediately. It's not like you're asking for money back or something else, you're asking for an exchange for the same item.

The representative at the store requiring a conversation with his manager, and then the manager needing to contact his distributor is a classic case of the run around. There is no reason you should have to go through Sony and wait for them to take action. You bought a defective item, and the retailer should exchange it for one that works properly.

As far as Sony goes, they should also back you. In your manual is a description of your manufacturer's One Year Warranty. If you have your reciept as proof you purchased the system within a year, there's nothing they can do about it but have it fixed or replaced for you. If a representative on the phone at Sony is giving you a hard time about it, ask for their manager/supervisor. If that person is also giving you a hard time, ask for THEIR manager/supervisor. However, the point is to NOT hang up the phone and NOT give up. Once you hang up or leave the store, you begin the run around process all over again.

As a note for the next time you make a large investment in an electronic, NEVER buy from a mom and pop shop. Always buy from the big boys. Ask about their store policy too. Make sure it's good for you. If not, walk out the door. I bought my PS3 from Bestbuy. I had no problems with it, but I assure that if I did, they would exchange it quickly and without any issues.

At this point, I would suggest going through Sony. Call them again. DON'T HANG UP!!! Hold the warranty documentation in your hand. If they tell you they don't want to honor the warranty, ask them why, and ask them where you can find their right to deny you in the documentation. If stubbornness on the phone doesn't work, whatever you do, DON'T BE PASSIVE!!! You're pissed and rightly so. SHOW IT!!! Go back to the store. RAISE HELL!! Refuse to leave until it's resolved. Have them call the distributor while you wait if you have to. Tell them straight up that they screwed you, and you're not leaving without your replacement!!!

Sueing is a long process and just not worth it. Also, sometimes telling a company you're going to pursue legal action will make them submit your file to a legal department where you will no longer recieve assistance unless your lawyer calls on your behalf. Don't let them feel like they can take advantage of you by giving you story after story. You want this taken care of and you don't care how they do it. So, MAKE THEM DO IT!!!

lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lhbchen
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts
SILLLY ppl, the One Year Warranty ONLY covers those damages caused within SONY's manufacturing responsibility. No manufacturer ever guarantees and back this kind of damages caused by transportation.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Wow, I have a 3 year warranty with mine.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

I think the problem is it's not a warranty issue. It's shipping damage and that needed to be reported right away. You can't wait 3 months and then expect them to believe it was something that happened in shipping.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

I work in retail and I can tell you this, the store ITSELF should have replaced it when you first approached them with the problem. The crink in the corner is evidence of shock damage. Whether it be the shipping method of their distributor, or their inability to store it properly, within the first 30 days, the store SHOULD have replaced it immediately. It's not like you're asking for money back or something else, you're asking for an exchange for the same item.

Amir29

^^^------ This. Except you needed to tell them at the time of pick-up that the box was damaged. Otherwise for all they know you dropped it walking into the parking lot.

bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts
So do you have the receipt? Because I can't see why Sony wouldn't fix it.
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts

The store should of replaced your PS3 when you took it back to them -- waiting 2 months though means they no longer have to replace your console unless you have a vaild warrenty with them ...

You shouldn't of waited 2 months to call SONY -- your PS3 still works and the store damaging the outside of the console -- and you ignoring it -- comes under normal wear and tear... if you ignore a problem and it gets worse its not covered by warrenty.

You can complain about it all you want but you can't ignore a problem for months and then expect the store to take back the console. You also can't expect SONY to repair the console when it still works fine... in the end you can - put up with it OR fix it yourself OR pay the $130 for shipping + glue ...

owskie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 owskie
Member since 2003 • 425 Posts
definitly try to fight the store its really their responsibility to deal with broken merchendise as it comes off the truck you said you got it and it was broken. they should give you a new system. instead of going after sony i would just go after the store.
sa10kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sa10kun
Member since 2007 • 4290 Posts

Warranty from Sony? Silly people, good luck with that.

Even when PS2's were dropping left and right with DRE, Sony wouldn't even man up and say there was a problem. Best of luck getting them to fix anything at all for you. I went with a 2 year Best Buy Warranty on my PS3.

Mau-Justice

Oddly enough when my sixaxis broke then sent me a dualshock3. haha.

Vandooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vandooka
Member since 2005 • 168 Posts
get a 360... yes it has rrod... but the new 1s dont and MS gave a huge extended warranty for it... when i got my ps3 there will these terrible grind marks or watever.... not scartches massive scrapes... i took it back to the retailer 2 hrs later, they apologised for the inconvenience, replaced my ps3 and gave me a $50 gift card.
Vandooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Vandooka
and i spent that giftcard on an extended warranty... bad luck buddy.:cry:
LORDDICE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LORDDICE1
Member since 2007 • 1263 Posts
LOL thats not true! Microsoft just got me a new 360 after my 3rd one crapped out and the rep even said the new ones are still having the same issue, jut not quite as much.
get a 360... yes it has rrod... but the new 1s dont and MS gave a huge extended warranty for it... when i got my ps3 there will these terrible grind marks or watever.... not scartches massive scrapes... i took it back to the retailer 2 hrs later, they apologised for the inconvenience, replaced my ps3 and gave me a $50 gift card.Vandooka
Vandooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vandooka
eh... u win some u lose some. thats life.
Smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Smallville123
Member since 2003 • 930 Posts

get a 360... yes it has rrod... but the new 1s dont and MS gave a huge extended warranty for it... when i got my ps3 there will these terrible grind marks or watever.... not scartches massive scrapes... i took it back to the retailer 2 hrs later, they apologised for the inconvenience, replaced my ps3 and gave me a $50 gift card.Vandooka

Uhh microsoft has still not fixed the problem. It's still a huge issue and the 3% failure rate of the ps3 compared to the 60%failure rate of the 360 is no comparrison.

But to the op: ya i fell your pain. When my ps2 got the dre a few years ago they wouldent do **** about it.

MasterFreinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MasterFreinz
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts

Sony aren't very good at repairing their consoles because they never usually have to... :P

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#47 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandooka"]get a 360... yes it has rrod... but the new 1s dont and MS gave a huge extended warranty for it... when i got my ps3 there will these terrible grind marks or watever.... not scartches massive scrapes... i took it back to the retailer 2 hrs later, they apologised for the inconvenience, replaced my ps3 and gave me a $50 gift card.Smallville123

Uhh microsoft has still not fixed the problem. It's still a huge issue and the 3% failure rate of the ps3 compared to the 60%failure rate of the 360 is no comparrison.

60%?!.....O....K.....nice exaggeration there buddy

Anyway, i would tell that store you bought it from to replace the console, doesn't matter if its a hardware defect or not...you bought an item (especially electronic) from a videogame store and it doesn't work properly...even if its a small shop they should replace it.

Avatar image for cloud_strife007
cloud_strife007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cloud_strife007
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts
So this is purely a cosmetic issue? Do you not think Sony has better then to do then glue that piece of plastic back onto your ps3? I agree, this situation does suck, but don't you think your going a little overboard talking about legal actions and contacting the BBB? It probably should have been dealt this as soon as you noticed the problem.
ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts

Forum n00b tip #1: Never make long posts--they are unattractive

I did not read your post but i'll answer to it in three ways, choose which one fits best:

1. Call Sony Customer Support

2. Pray you own a warranty

3. Switch the back button to "on".