My PS3 is Dead - Flashing Red Light

This topic is locked from further discussion.

robc84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 robc84
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
Hi, I'm new to these forums so apologies if I have posted in the wrong place! Basically, my ps3 has died. When i turn it on at the back the stand by light comes on as normal. When I press either of the two front buttons (on and eject-I should mention at this point that it is 60gb version bought in December 07), the light turns green for a second as if it is starting up, but then it turns yellow for a split second before beeping a couple of times and flashing red. Anyway, as Sony are trying to charge me 131 for a refurb version of the 60gb system, I thought I would upgrade to a slim and sell my faulty one on ebay. However, I have a few things I need to do before I sell it, and I was hoping someone would be able to explain if / how it can be done -My Battlefield BC2 disk is stuck in there, is there any way to get it out? -Is there anyway to transfer my data onto the new system? -If not, how do I format the hard drive before I sell it? Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Same thing happened to me a couple of days back. There is a way to temporarily resurrect the machine and get the disc out-

• Get a hairdryer
  • Turn the PS3 off and unplug it
  • Blow the hairdryer into the back of the PS3 at its most powerful setting for at least 5 minutes. You'll feel the hot air coming out of the side vents.
  • After this leave the PS3 alone for 5 minutes
  • Hold down the eject button, turn it on at the back and keep eject held down for at least 10 seconds. The PS3 *should* spit the disc out. The fans will go ****ing insane for about a minute then cool down.

If that works use this window of opportunity to back up all of your saves onto a USB stick as quickly as possible. And deactivate your PSN account. I don't know how long your PS3 will stay on for; after I resurrected mine I used it for another hour with no troubles. (Then turned it off, never to be used again and bought a Slim the next day). Good luck :)

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Same thing happened to me a couple of days back. There is a way to temporarily resurrect the machine and get the disc out-

• Get a hairdryer
  • Blow the hairdryer into the back of the PS3 at its most powerful setting for at least 5 minutes. You'll feel the hot air coming out of the side vents.
  • Hold down the eject button, turn it on at the back and keep eject held down for at least 10 seconds. The PS3 *should* spit the disc out. The fans will go ****ing insane for about a minute then cool down.

If that works use this window of opportunity to back up all of your saves onto a USB stick as quickly as possible. And deactivate your PSN account. I don't know how long your PS3 will stay on for; after I resurrected mine I used it for another hour with no troubles. (Then turned it off, never to be used again and bought a Slim the next day). Good luck :)

Floppy_Jim

Wow that really works? :o

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
rip little ps3
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]

• Get a hairdryer

Storm_Marine

Wow that really works? :o

I searched the worldwidewebz for temporary YLOD solutions and it worked for a number of YLOD victims. I decided to give it a shot and it worked for me.
tomjoetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tomjoetan
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts
Look up Reflow for the PS3.... there are numerous videos. It happened to me about 3 weeks ago and my MW2 disc was inside. So I did the Reflow and it works fine... for now.... I am currently waiting for my new ps3 slim to show up so I can use the new data transfer utility which is the ONLY way to preserve ALL your game saves. Also 60 gb ps3 will sell for 180 at gamestop or you can probably get 400 for it on ebay (which covers the cost of a new one... which is what I am doing :)
War_Chiefs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 War_Chiefs
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts

ye this happened to me as for getting the game out the only way i could do it was to just take the top off it and get the game out..

tonyf55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 tonyf55
Member since 2004 • 725 Posts

It seems like all the 60GB PS3's are dying at the same time. It makes me worried about my 80 GB.

War_Chiefs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 War_Chiefs
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts

sony are being ridiculous they just tell you that they have updated the computer since we bought them(thats if you got it like when it first came out) but they dont seem to do anything about the fact that they first batch was faulty..they just leave it as your loss...

newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

man, lotta 60 giggers are takin a deuce lately.

im surprised at sonys cust service not being more laxed on the prices for these repairs and trying to keep all you guyz pleased.

sorry for your loss homie.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Justinps2hero
I've got an old school phat 40g, had it since jan 08 & I can honestly say I've never had a problem with it. Well, my only gripe is I've filled the memory up so I have to delete save files now. Hope it don't go wrong, got a lotta love for the cubby dark one. ;)
Thomasdeleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Thomasdeleo
Member since 2006 • 1984 Posts
Look up Reflow for the PS3.... there are numerous videos. It happened to me about 3 weeks ago and my MW2 disc was inside. So I did the Reflow and it works fine... for now.... I am currently waiting for my new ps3 slim to show up so I can use the new data transfer utility which is the ONLY way to preserve ALL your game saves. Also 60 gb ps3 will sell for 180 at gamestop or you can probably get 400 for it on ebay (which covers the cost of a new one... which is what I am doing :)tomjoetan
Who would give $400 for a broken ps3? Anyways hope my launch 60gigger doesn't sh*t the bed, I've been hittin the hell outta FFXlll
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

My 60gb and 20gb launch models run fantastically, always have.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Justinps2hero
Do you have many saves on your 20g ps3 & do you find the fan cuts in more or less than the 60g if you don't mind me asking.
GAMERKID707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GAMERKID707
Member since 2009 • 461 Posts

that happened to a guy ik with a 60 gb,his socom game was stuck,he had to take it in to best buy,they had to break open the ps3 to get his game out,so unless you find another way,you might have to concider that

Mr_Splosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Mr_Splosher
Member since 2009 • 772 Posts

It seems like all the 60GB PS3's are dying at the same time. It makes me worried about my 80 GB.

tonyf55
+1
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
I've seen some broken PS3's going for like $150-$180 on ebay. But don't expect near retail price for it.
robc84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 robc84
Thanks for all the advice guys. I've had absolutely no problems with it up til now, but I dont see the point in paying sony 131(GBP) for a refurb 60gb when I can get a slim for 250 and sell mine for about at least 50 on ebay. I may try the hair dryer treatment! I assume, if I can get it turned on, that I can connect it up to my new ps3 and transfer all of my data over that way (assuming it stays on long enough). Also, is there an easy way to format the hard drive once I have my data transferred? Thanks again.
UbiquitousAeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UbiquitousAeon
Member since 2010 • 2099 Posts

tonyf55
If my brothers 80Gb PS3 ends up dying, I'm not going to care. I'll just go buy my own haha.
robc84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 robc84
Tried the hairdryer solution, but my hairdryer cut out halfway through!! I'm thinking I may just sell it with the disk in there and get a new copy of Battlefield with my new slim. One last question though, is there any way I can format my hard drive before I sell it (assuming I cant get the system to turn on again?)
Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Justinps2hero
Broke the hair dryer! LOL
robc84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robc84

Anyone know how to format the hard drive, seeing as I can't get the system to turn on?

Don't feel comfortable selling it without first wiping the hard drive.

Thanks

robc84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 robc84

Got my new slim the other day and guess what, played it for a few hours then it cut out, yellow light followed by flashing red light! Cant believe it happened again. Thought it may be overheated, but its pretty well ventilated. Luckily enough I can just return it and get a get a new one. Cant think what is causing them to break though! Anyone else had similar problems?

Abecale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Abecale
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

Tried the hairdryer solution, but my hairdryer cut out halfway through!! I'm thinking I may just sell it with the disk in there and get a new copy of Battlefield with my new slim. One last question though, is there any way I can format my hard drive before I sell it (assuming I cant get the system to turn on again?)robc84

Oh man, that is **** luck indeed. I Actually feel sorry for you :(

Hope you get the temp fix.

robc84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robc84

Thanks, been feeling sorry for myself the last couple of weeks. I actually had to laugh when the slim broke too. Hopefully it'll be third time lucky!!