My PS3 gets YLOD at the worst time possible!!!

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Na_G4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Na_G4life
Member since 2005 • 515 Posts

My PS3 just got the Yellow Light of Death...Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend, Borderlands, and more titles this holiday season. I CAN'T PLAY THEM!!!

Toys R us is having a buy two get one free deal for ALL games!!! My life sucks right now.

What if ur ps3 died today. What would u do? How would u get the money to get another one?

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I almost had the same problem with my 360 when Gears of War 2 came out. Thankfully I got my Xbox back 2 days before it's release.

Na_G4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Na_G4life
That's cool. I gotta pay 150 bucks for the repair, and i heard it takes 4 - 6 weeks for it to get back to u. Sucks. Modern Warfare 2 will have been out for a while by then.
CraigyM83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CraigyM83
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts

I have a recent 80gb model so doubt i'd get ylod and if I did I'd just buy another or get a 360 again. I have a job so thankfully I'm in a position to sort it quick, poo for those without the cash.

Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

My PS3 just got the Yellow Light of Death...Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend, Borderlands, and more titles this holiday season. I CAN'T PLAY THEM!!!

Toys R us is having a buy two get one free deal for ALL games!!! My life sucks right now.

What if ur ps3 died today. What would u do? How would u get the money to get another one?

Na_G4life
Mine being a 60 gig I would send it in to Sony, and have it back within 2 weeks. Just wouldnt play uncharted until then.
lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
Sorry to hear that man.:( Bad timing indeed. If my PS3 broke today i would probably go to a store and buy a new Slim. Having a job and money in the bank has its beneficts.:P
Na_G4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Na_G4life
[QUOTE="Na_G4life"]

Dilrod
Mine being a 60 gig I would send it in to Sony, and have it back within 2 weeks. Just wouldnt play uncharted until then.

I have a 60 gig too. Bought it day one at the Sony store. I wouldn't buy the Slim to replace it. But I didn't know it takes two weeks. I heard 4 to 6 weeks.
JCMac120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 JCMac120
Member since 2006 • 2771 Posts
[QUOTE="Dilrod"][QUOTE="Na_G4life"]

Na_G4life

I have a 60 gig too. Bought it day one at the Sony store. I wouldn't buy the Slim to replace it. But I didn't know it takes two weeks. I heard 4 to 6 weeks.

No it didn't take me anywhere near 4-6 weeks to get mine back when it YLoD. About two weeks sounds correct.
AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
You can still buy the games and send your PS3 in. Then when it comes back, you will have a bunch of games to play.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Na_G4life
I dunno probably forgo all of the plans I had with my Christmas money.
Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts
SEARCH ON YOUTUBE HOW TO HOME FIX IF YOU WARRANTY IS OUT OR U JUST WANT IS REALLY QUICK
Na_G4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Na_G4life
[QUOTE="JCMac120"][QUOTE="Na_G4life"][QUOTE="Dilrod"] Mine being a 60 gig I would send it in to Sony, and have it back within 2 weeks. Just wouldnt play uncharted until then.

No it didn't take me anywhere near 4-6 weeks to get mine back when it YLoD. About two weeks sounds correct.

That is actually not too bad. I guess i'll do that. But it still is a sucky predicament.
hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

wow is this yellow light of death new or old cuz this is the first time i herd of it? what does it do anyways

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

4-6 weeks is an exaggeration!! It;s about 2 weeks.

mustang0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mustang0712
Member since 2009 • 238 Posts

thats why i carry a back up

BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts
[QUOTE="Na_G4life"][QUOTE="Dilrod"] Mine being a 60 gig I would send it in to Sony, and have it back within 2 weeks. Just wouldnt play uncharted until then.JCMac120

it took me about 10 or 12 days to get the box to ship it back then about a week to get the new ps3 2 or 3 weeks not 4-6
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

Na_G4life

It's not a deal for games. It's a buy 2 get one free on accessories.

Correction: You're right it is 3 for 2 on games!!!

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

If my PS3 died today, the day before my most anticipated game this year and sequel to my favorite game this gen, I would go out and buy a new PS3. I would also send my 60gb in for repairs, but no way would I wait until it was done because I would have to play Uncharted 2.

I would also keep my refurbished 60gb, though.

I can sympathize with your frustration as this same thing happened to me a couple of years ago with another system with two separate hugely anticipated games for me. "It" did the day before each release. Maddening, I know.

Hope you get your PS3 back soon.

Conjuration

It also covers games.

This is an annual sale that they do, and it absolutely covers games. I know because not only have I taken advantage of it in the past, but I was at the store with a friend who took advantage of the deal when it started yesterday.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#19 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
Well I'd send it in to sony. So you can still get the games. You don't exactly have to go out and buy another one.
k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 k_ozz
Member since 2007 • 1088 Posts

I i were you, i would still go for the buy 2 get free deal... Just that i dont miss out on th awesome deal...

Avatar image for RatchetJunkie20
RatchetJunkie20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RatchetJunkie20
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

Oy, bad timing indeed. I'd just send it in to get repaired. Luckily I've never had a problem with my home consoles. You should just go ahead with the buy two get one free deal. That's one SMOKIN' deal.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#22 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
Another 60 gig story. =\ Has anyone sent a 60 gig to Sony recently? If so, did they get their PS3 back or another 60 gig? I ask this because I'm not too sure I want to give my PS3 to Sony and then they give me an 80 gig. Yes...I do prefer the best of the best...
Na_G4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Na_G4life
Another 60 gig story. =\ Has anyone sent a 60 gig to Sony recently? If so, did they get their PS3 back or another 60 gig? I ask this because I'm not too sure I want to give my PS3 to Sony and then they give me an 80 gig. Yes...I do prefer the best of the best...Symphonycometh
Yea, that is exactly what i have been wondering. I plan to call Sony to find out. By the way, I did the service request from sony like an hour ago. Hope to get this process done soon. But anyway, yea, if you find out, let us know.
Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dilrod
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"]Another 60 gig story. =\ Has anyone sent a 60 gig to Sony recently? If so, did they get their PS3 back or another 60 gig? I ask this because I'm not too sure I want to give my PS3 to Sony and then they give me an 80 gig. Yes...I do prefer the best of the best...Na_G4life
Yea, that is exactly what i have been wondering. I plan to call Sony to find out. By the way, I did the service request from sony like an hour ago. Hope to get this process done soon. But anyway, yea, if you find out, let us know.

I called Sony and they guaranteed me if I send them a 60 gig, they fix or replace mine with another 60 gig fully bc model. I asked probably 30 times because I told them I am not sending mine in (my son's needs fixed, not mine) if they can't guarantee me.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#25 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I feel your pain buddy. I get my copy of Uncharted 2 tomorrow, but I don't get my PS3 back from Sony until a few days later. :(

ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
That's cool. I gotta pay 150 bucks for the repair, and i heard it takes 4 - 6 weeks for it to get back to u. Sucks. Modern Warfare 2 will have been out for a while by then.Na_G4life
It took less then a full week for mine.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#27 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Na_G4life
you can fix it by yourself, and still, having your console broken doesnt restrict you from buying games until you fix it
Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dilrod
[QUOTE="Na_G4life"]

lightleggy
you can fix it by yourself, and still, having your console broken doesnt restrict you from buying games until you fix it

Word to the wise though. If you attempt to fix it yourself, and open the casing Sony will not fix your console if you send it in to them. Only attempt if you know what you are doing.
ThE_rB2_ExPeRt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ThE_rB2_ExPeRt
Member since 2009 • 166 Posts

how could anyone survive without playing modern warfare 2 when it comes out?!!?!??!?! GASP!

Avatar image for chedarcheese190
chedarcheese190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 chedarcheese190
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

the stages of yellow light of death.

1. hmm. disc might be dirty.

2. ok lets try again.

3.uh oh. lets try another game.

4.(heart drops) different disc

Na_G4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Na_G4life

how could anyone survive without playing modern warfare 2 when it comes out?!!?!??!?! GASP!

ThE_rB2_ExPeRt
Well I sure can't. SInce video games keep me sane. I kid, I kid... or do I
1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

Luckly it wasn't the day before MW2 comes out.

Na_G4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Na_G4life
[QUOTE="Na_G4life"]That's cool. I gotta pay 150 bucks for the repair, and i heard it takes 4 - 6 weeks for it to get back to u. Sucks. Modern Warfare 2 will have been out for a while by then.ez_moneymaker

That would be so great. But i doubt they're that quick often.
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
Well i called Saturday had the box Monday, sent box in that day, got it back on that following Saturday.
zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 zbdyx
Member since 2007 • 2055 Posts
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"]Another 60 gig story. =\ Has anyone sent a 60 gig to Sony recently? If so, did they get their PS3 back or another 60 gig? I ask this because I'm not too sure I want to give my PS3 to Sony and then they give me an 80 gig. Yes...I do prefer the best of the best...Na_G4life

My buddy sent his 60 gig in and got a 60 gig back.It only took 2 weeks total aswell
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
I had the same sort of problem.. it was the day after i got KZ2 that my PS3 died :(
yonnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 yonnex
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

TC you just got BOO YAH'D LOL

seriously though this happend to me awhile back i went and got another PS3 Killzone2 bundle pack and found a fix for reflow of the GPU which fixed my YLOD problem, i would only suggest trying that if you are fairly tech savvy though.

Otherwise get a new PS3 and send the other one into Sony

yonnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 yonnex
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="Na_G4life"]

Dilrod

Word to the wise though. If you attempt to fix it yourself, and open the casing Sony will not fix your console if you send it in to them. Only attempt if you know what you are doing.

This isnt true unless you are sending it away under warranty if you are paying for the repairs they dont care if you have pulled it apart.

0diablo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 0diablo0
Member since 2004 • 670 Posts

You guys need to put your thinking caps on.

Buy a new ps3, and return it before the 30 day return policy runs out. Go to another store, repeat until ps3 comes back.

And no, i don't have any morals.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Symphonycometh

Buy a new ps3, and return it before the 30 day return policy runs out. Go to another store, repeat until ps3 comes back.

0diablo0
Maybe I'm just too tired to think straight, but...how ever will this work again?
0diablo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 0diablo0
Member since 2004 • 670 Posts

[QUOTE="0diablo0"]

Symphonycometh

Maybe I'm just too tired to think straight, but...how ever will this work again?

Buy a new ps3, and you have 30 days to return for a full refund correct? (from best buy, etc.) use the new ps3 you bought for like 29 days, then return it and get your money back. If the old ps3 hasent been fixed by then, go to another store and repeat.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts
[QUOTE="Na_G4life"]

join the crowd. did you have the 60 gig ps3? im starting to think 60 gig ps3s have 100% failure rate. mine just broke 2 nites ago. one week after my 360 got E74!!!!
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 monson21502
[QUOTE="Na_G4life"]That's cool. I gotta pay 150 bucks for the repair, and i heard it takes 4 - 6 weeks for it to get back to u. Sucks. Modern Warfare 2 will have been out for a while by then.ez_moneymaker

how much is it for shipping both ways?
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 monson21502
[QUOTE="0diablo0"]

[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="0diablo0"]

Buy a new ps3, and you have 30 days to return for a full refund correct? (from best buy, etc.) use the new ps3 you bought for like 29 days, then return it and get your money back. If the old ps3 hasent been fixed by then, go to another store and repeat.

wal-mart gives you 90 days. if i do anything im gonna buy a new ps3 then switch the numbers on it and put my dead ps3 in the box and get a full cash refund. im not losing out on 500 bucks i paid.
gapinglotus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gapinglotus9
Member since 2009 • 95 Posts

im curious has anyone had any problems with the 80 bc model that came bundled with mgs4? thats the one i have and id be pissed if it goes on me. mine seems to be working fine i dont have any issue. i am going to be a little more careful and dust it properly though

Na_G4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Na_G4life

join the crowd. did you have the 60 gig ps3? im starting to think 60 gig ps3s have 100% failure rate. mine just broke 2 nites ago. one week after my 360 got E74!!!!monson21502
Yea, My PS3 was a day one 60 gig. I didn't know that this was mostly happening to 60 gig models.

how much is it for shipping both ways?monson21502

They send you a prepaid box I think. Mine should be coming any day now i guess.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 monson21502

[QUOTE="monson21502"]join the crowd. did you have the 60 gig ps3? im starting to think 60 gig ps3s have 100% failure rate. mine just broke 2 nites ago. one week after my 360 got E74!!!!Na_G4life

Yea, My PS3 was a day one 60 gig. I didn't know that this was mostly happening to 60 gig models.

how much is it for shipping both ways?monson21502

They send you a prepaid box I think. Mine should be coming any day now i guess.

oh i thought i read . that i would have to pay for shipping after they sent the box to me. still wish sony would push up the warrenty since there seems to be alot of 60 gigs having this problem now. just sucks us who bought it early have to pay 150 to get it fixed when its a known hardware issue.

ms has done it for the rrod. and just made the new E74 covered for 3 years also.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]

nyc05

It also covers games.

This is an annual sale that they do, and it absolutely covers games. I know because not only have I taken advantage of it in the past, but I was at the store with a friend who took advantage of the deal when it started yesterday.

Did he get Uncharted 2? I heard that they won't sell you Uncharted 2 as part of the deal in store, but it works online.

Thing is, another game I want is out of stock online, so I might have to go to a local store, but I don't know if they'll sell me Uncharted 2 or not.

Na_G4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Na_G4life

oh i thought i read . that i would have to pay for shipping after they sent the box to me. still wish sony would push up the warrenty since there seems to be alot of 60 gigs having this problem now. just sucks us who bought it early have to pay 150 to get it fixed when its a known hardware issue. ms has done it for the rrod. and just made the new E74 covered for 3 years also. monson21502

Yea, I wish they would extend the warranty too (although I opened mines after finding out the warranty ran out. I don't think its fair that so many PS3's have been breaking down, and they charge for it. I heard that the RRoD happens to about 54% of 360, so I could see Microsoft feeling like its a big enough problem that they would run into legal problem if they tried making people pay for repairs. But I heard that the about 10% of PS3s get the YLOD. I think that's alot of PS3's and we shouldn't have to pay for something that seems to be a flaw in the system (at least with specific models).

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Symphonycometh

[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="0diablo0"]

0diablo0

See, that makes 55354 more sense now that I'm awake. lol Even so, that's just....wrong to me. Couldn't do it. lol