My overall analysis of the PS4 launch and impression overall

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

I have read a lot about PS4 over the pass few days and there is a lot to say about the launch. First let me say i picked up my system from best buy today after work. This is a different approach to me sitting out in the cold during pS3 launch to be the first to brag I have the sony system. I also decided to buy from target AC4, NBA 2k14 and Madden 25 for my buy 2 get one free. I just noticed on gamespot that there is a pending review of Madden that will not be done until next week. Is gamespot short of staff? I just got a survey of gamespot website and I had to be honest with the lack of content that I want to see on a daily basis. I just cant understand how Madden isn't reviewed today when IGN already did it. I didn't like the score from IGN but i figured the reviewer is jaded from playing Madden every yr and he is the same guy who plays every week with the goofy guy.

I played Madden Demos every yr but for the last 3-4 yrs I can not justify buying the game since its the same ole stuff. Madden desperately needs competition to push it and hopefully someone does this on PS4. From the IGN review the guy says its too realistic which tells me that it probably a much better game. Polygon website didn't give a full review but eluded to the game being a upgrade from ps3 and they gave p3 version a 8.5 and polygon seems to give stringent review scores.

Now on to the 1st party Sony games. I played Knack demo and it just didn't compel me at all and contrast was just too simple just like knack. You can have a great platformer but with more complex buttons usage to press. 3 yr olds are good at coordination when it comes to video games. Killzone looks good but I read from the review that the story isnt plausible and the voice acting is spotty.

I am a little irritated with Sony president with saying he didn't think Playstation fans would want MP3 and CD playback. Of course we want the same things that PS3 was able to give us. He also mentioned people canceling their preorder,which I believe is the only reason Sony decided to give us these features again. I don't really care for 3D games but PS3 had it so why not this 10 times stronger system not have it?

Also the Sony president stated he was disappointed in the scores of the 1st party games. Sony president also addressed that cerny the architect of PS4 and creator of Knack was allowed to spend the appropriate time on Knack in order for the game to be done properly. Well apparently cerny needed more time on the game since the scores were in the toilet

The initial PS4 launch will have its glitches and Hopefully soon they will be resolved. I am glad any headset will work in the earpiece jack of the PS4 controller. This is great for me since I have the pulse elite headset. I am not sure if the patch will allow the pulse elite to work with the PS4 wirelessly yet. Besides using a wire to connect to the PS4 controller to the headset, it allows me to not use my 4-5 battery life on my pulse elite since power doesn't have to be turned on to the headset when connected to the PS4 controller.

I think overall in the near future PS4 will have great games and now I am getting excited to know uncharted 4 is coming to PS4 and of course will be exclusive. Uncharted 4 will have the same drake voice actor,writer and director that made the series so great on PS3. Of course Hideo had to steal some of the PS4 launch thunder by giving us MGS fans a throwback to the facially impaired solid snake from the original MGS US version as a bonus exclusively to PS4 which is a nice touch. I also read that MGS 5 fantom pain will be a long game so maybe its justified that prologue could be a nice chunk of the game to excuse paying $30 for the PS4 version. I was hoping Hideo was going to announce a demo on PS4 at launch of Prologue.

I agree with polygon website take on the camera for PS4 will not sell well just like the PS3 camera. Its ok not forcing the consumer to buy the PS4 bundled with the camera but the Bots aren't enough to warrant a purchase. Sony could have at least explained some usage of the camera besides the playroom and the companies working on games that will use the camera features, if there are any. Oh I did read from polygon site about NASA may use the camera for space exploration with your eye tracking movement or something like that.

I am very curious how good the Xbox one review will be. I believe I made the right purchase but I always like to know what the competition has to offer. I think forza looks great but I also think DriveCLub will be great also when it arrived on PS4. Although Rise looks good I read a game reviewer played it and didn't feel like he had control over the combos moves but the take downs seem to be random sequences of button mashing.

Overall my impression of PS4 is a solid B based on all the things I read now I can't wait to play the games tomorrow night.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@ewalthour:

let me guess... you give the XB1 an A+ because it has "so many more AAA games"....?

seriously... take this to your blog...

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ewalthour

I Played my ps4 tonight. I love how quick the menus are and to me its easy to navigate thru the menu. The disc download fast and my ps4 was quite majority of the time. I am responding to another post complaining about how loud his fan is on ac4 and another game.

I immediately use my redeem cards to get $10 credit towards my next game and signed up for my trial for Psn plus. I actually like resogun and think it looks great and has a frantic pace with excitment. I played warframe and its pretty good also. I didn't play the other shooter retribution but download it for later.

Nba 2 k looks next gen and plays great. Madden doesn't look nearly as good as the trailers and looks barely better than the ps3 version. I am glad its was free with the target deal and I am tempted to sell it. I am so tired of Ea sports games. At least I am tired of madden but the mma looks great from what I have seen from videos but seeing it live is proof in the pudding. I glad nba live will be a demo next week just to compare it to nba 2k.

By the way, at first the Psn store was down but worked later on and ran smoothly. But I couldn't stream my ps4 to my smartphone yet. I will try tomorrow.

Although I don't think I charged my controller fully. Does anyone think the controller doesn't stay charged long enough for them?

I read on ign that any headset could be plugged directly into the controller but it didn't work. I know a update is suppose to come to update my pulse elite headset to work wirelessly anyone know exactly when we will get the update?

My last gripe is with not being able to play mp3 and cd's. When will that function come to upgrade to the ps4? I really need this function since I workout at home using my mp3 disc copies of p90x and insanity videos. For now I have to use my laptops to play these type of format disc. I got rid my cd player over a yr ago.

Right now I have to give Sony a c+ grade since the mp3+CD player and pulse elite headset should have been updated at launch. I hope Sony doesnt take its time giving us these functions. We should have never had these functions taken away from us since ps3 had all of these features.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ewalthour

I stand corrected on IGN information about using the PS4 controller to connect my pulse elite headset. I didn't connect the audio outlet correctly from the PS4 menu on my PS4 so now it works. So in the meantime before the headset update comes it works to have a connection to my PS4 controller to not have to disturb my wife while i play games. It actually is better than using the wireless connection since i would have to turn on my pulse headset. Now with the wire connected to the PS4 controller the power isn't suppose to be on with my Pulse elite headset. It looks like my PS4 controller will need to be charged a lot more than my pulse headset. Matter of fact I will never have to charge my pulse headset until the update comes since i only use the headset for gaming. I would like to not having a wire dangling from my neck if the pulse elite headset was wireless. But I will trade endless battery life for 4- 6 hrs of battery life when the headset is turned on.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

I don't get the KZ SF criticism "the story isnt plausible and the voice acting is spotty", I read that they put great effort to developing the world and geopolitics, so possibly all elements can't be considered "logical" in comparison to how our modern world works of course ... I didn't read anything about bad voice acting (I read all the major sites reviews)

calducce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By calducce
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

@TheTenth10: I agree with 0 of the TC's assessment of the PS4 (what little actual assessment and analysis there really is after you remove the opinions). However, I've played through Killzone: SF in its entirety and can say that personally I felt it was very strong and awesome at the beginning and then fizzled. The AI is basically terrible and it shows as the game progresses further. As far as plausible, I'm not sure what the TC wants, it's outer space wars with aliens. I guess it's no more plausible than star wars. I actually think the story is alright. Knack is also pretty fun, just really difficult considering its target audience is children. So far I'm incredibly impressed with the PS4 and can't wait for more games to come out. So far I have Killzone:SF, Knack, Need for Speed, AC4 and Resogun. Loving my system