My letter of complaint to Sony about my faulty PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dante865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Dante865
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts

Hey guys, my PS3 was laid to rest yesterday whilst i was playing GTAIV. The Yellow Light of Death or what ever it is, silly name.

I rang Sony and at the end of the call i was pretty upset, so here is my letter to Sony:

I am writing to you for a replacement of my 60GB Playstation 3 which has had a hardware failure. I have been put on hold numerous times and when i finally get through to technical support i am told that my Playstation 3 will cost a further £145 to be replaced.

I am extremely furious about this, i have paid £500 for my product. I bought this pre ordered from Play.com in April 2007. It has been nearly 2 years since i purchased my Playstation, paying for a machine that cost half a thousand pound that lasted me only 2 years is pathetic; and i am now being asked to pay a further £145 for a replacement, which only comes with a 3 month warranty.

I went out on a limb to buy this out of respect for Sony, i was considering a Xbox 360 at first but i stuck to what i thought would be a quality assured product and stayed loyal to Sony, as i have done for the past 16 years. My original Playstation which i purchased back in 1997 still works perfectly, i thought the Playstation 3 was a state of the art machine, so what happened? As a loyal customer i have been over-looked.

Baring in mind i have been told i will not get back the content stored on my Hard Disk Drive; the games i have purchased over the past 2 years have become completely useless as i will not get my save data back. I also have a game(GTA4) stuck in my PS3- and Sonyhavent clarified what will happen to it.

I have treated my Playstation 3 with top priority, it has been kept clean, dust-free, in an open environment and has only been played around 16 hours a week.I am extremely displeased in what I have been advised. I can ship my PS3 to your company where it can be assessed and possibly fixed. After payment ofall the shipping fees, the assesment fee, and other fees, I will be shipped my repaired PS3 or a refurbished PS3 with only a 90 day warranty. The cost of this is close enough to the price of just buying a new one. This is unsatisfactory. A £500 machine should last longer than25 months. There was no option to even purchase an extended warranty that I was aware of at time of purchase either. The purpose of this letter is to express my lack of satisfaction with your products and its services. I do not have any interest in purchasing a replacement of this product or paying repair bills that are almost equivalent to that price.

Under Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act:

• 'Satisfactory quality' is further defined by section 14(2B) of the 1979 Act, so that the quality of goods 'includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods -

(a)fitness for all purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

(b) appearance and finish,

(c) freedom from minor defects,

(d) safety, and

(e) durability'.

I want a repair at no extra cost to me,I will wait 14 days for a reply. If a reply is not sent back within the next 14 days,I will issue a small claimscourt preceding.

So what do you guys and girls think?

delta4062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 delta4062
    Member since 2007 • 895 Posts

Dude....no one will give a **** about your letter

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 Rattlesnake_8
    Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Good luck. When they repair them you dont get back your PS3.. they send you a refurb (which imo is ridiculous since you could get back some scratched up PS3 when you took great care of your own).

FluxZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 FluxZero
    Member since 2004 • 286 Posts

Send the letter.

What exactly is wrong with your Playstation.

hip-hop-cola2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 hip-hop-cola2
    Member since 2007 • 2454 Posts

Stick it to the man! LET THEM FEEL YOUR ANGER!

HawkGamer2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 HawkGamer2008
    Member since 2008 • 1697 Posts

Let them feel your rage Dante my man, but if its been two years your warrenty might be expired.

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaughtyRag
    Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

reply from sony**

*empty*

they don't care, and IF they do read it (i can't express the IF enough).. it would just be a good laugh for those employees around the water cooler..

but send it anyways, hell add more to it..

Unknown_Hero3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Unknown_Hero3
    Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

delta4062

this...seriously

oakie86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 oakie86
    Member since 2009 • 90 Posts

I feel you... I got home from work last night to a "Hey, so... bad news..." from my boyfriend. BluRay lens is dead, I didn't even get any warning signs. I called up Sony, and basically got yelled at by some woman in California for 5 minutes then demanded to hand over my credit card # for a repair ticket. I just dissected the PS3 and learned how it works for a few hours last night, and ordered a part on eBay. Still, extremely unhappy though after I learned that this is a pretty common failure and I paid so much money yet they do not care to extend the warranty on it.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 punisher1
    Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

Honestly your letter will go write in the trash can.

freham2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 freham2001
    Member since 2004 • 2719 Posts
    Include a picture of boobs at the very beginning of the letter. That will at least make them hesitate to throw it away. Even then there is no guarantee that they will read past the picture :P
    Myzz617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Myzz617
    Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

I mean c'mon your country is not in a recession. I just bought another PS3 after my 60GB will not ready games. So Yeaa...2-3 years seems to be the life of the first gen PS3's, time for a new one. Keep the old one and get it reapired and if not buy new if not then switch sides.

Dante865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dante865

Thank you for all your replys guys - even if you were being a douche about it!

Well i don't have a problem, but after reading this i did - Post by MichaelJ.

Many people have had their Playstation 3 repaired free-out-of-warranty, and this is after the £145 repair deal came into contact.. It just feels disgusting to get shafted by Sony after 16 years of licking their sphinters.

Oh and my bad, i forgot to mention - i pre-ordered off Play.com in March but recieved my Playstation 3 in April 2007, i did actually pay £500 for it, this included a Blu-ray movie and 2 Games.

But what am i to do? They're obviously only giving you 3 month warranty for a refurbished PS3 because they know that there's a slightly higher chance of it failing, and i never knew about Continous Play till recently, Christ... i don't know - i just feel betrayed man.

GANGSTASAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 GANGSTASAN
    Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts

delta4062
    Actually they will. I done the same with Nintendo with my DS LITE, and they gave me a free repair. The issue was a cracked hinge, and it was rather common for the early shipments of the product.
    Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Nephilim83
    Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts

Dude, its a great letter, but be honest with yourself. If its nolonger under warranty you're nolonger guaranteed to get your system replaced no matter what happened to it. While I agree that when you pay that much for something it should last for a very long time, I really don't see you getting anywhere with this letter. They won't care if you sue them. You are but a sea-monkey in theire pacific-sized arses. LOL Either way, man, I wish you good luck. I hate it for you that you were treated that way and that your system failed. Hope you get it up and running again.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Doolz2024
    Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

tbh, i think you're just wasting your time. You might as well just pay to have it fixed, or go w/o a console at all. Your choice :)

GANGSTASAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 GANGSTASAN
    Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts

I mean c'mon your country is not in a recession. I just bought another PS3 after my 60GB will not ready games. So Yeaa...2-3 years seems to be the life of the first gen PS3's, time for a new one. Keep the old one and get it reapired and if not buy new if not then switch sides.

Myzz617
    Umm... The out the whole of UK are in recession as well....
    shhbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 shhbob
    Member since 2008 • 1035 Posts

sounds gd send it...

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NaughtyRag
    Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

in your letter demand a price cut!

steadson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 steadson
    Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
    I think that it sucks that sony has this kind of an atitude, to it's loyal customers. But It's to my understanding that if your PS3 is out of waranty, that $150 fee they charge covers shipping handling, and repairs? (at least in the US it does) For that fee they replace them and ship them back in the same working order. Now as far as your game saves go. You should always back up your PS3 files. Period, regaurdless.
    Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#21 Keir21
    Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
    Just so you know, there not going to repair your console. There going to send you a replacement at which point i belive 145 pounds is more than acceptable. I was in the same boat as you and it was my fault for not buying the extended warranty.
    thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thetruespin
    Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

you are correct to quote the sale of goods act. In fact, a product is supposed to last "a reasonable amount of time". In the case of electronics this is normally considered to be 3 years. Now the difficult part is proving that you did not cause the failure, but with a ps3 which spends its life sitting in the same place, it aint that hard. In fact, if you look on google, most people that take these matters to a small claims court actually win... Despite the fact that the law is on the consumers side in the UK, many manufactuers will try REALLY REALLY HARD to avoid paying up

if i was you, send the letter. but try and get an individual to send it to... phone them up constantly... unfortuantly, those that shout the most often win in todays world.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thetruespin
    Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

Just so you know, there not going to repair your console. There going to send you a replacement at which point i belive 145 pounds is more than acceptable. I was in the same boat as you and it was my fault for not buying the extended warranty.Keir21
    but why should we have to buy extended warrenties? I mean, is it too much to ask that a console that cost £500 last more than 2 years? I actually have an extended warrenty, but I dislike the fact i have to pay for this..

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 Diddies
    Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

You're fighting a losing battle. You say durable and machine lasting 2 years is pretty durable. And some people still have the PS3 from launch and never had there break. I do have the launch 60GB and mine broke and I had to throw some money down to get it fixed. Hey...it happens...you will learn to take better care of it by cleaning it out and not using the back button to turn it off and don't play it for 8+ hours.

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 Wild_Card
    Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

good for you man. i dont blame you one bit.if every one would do this we might start seeing more fair warrentys/better built products. but when companies know they can get away with treating there customer base any way that want things will not get better.

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 Wild_Card
    Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
    . You say durable and machine lasting 2 years is pretty durable.>Diddies
    you think paying 600 bucks for a system and it lasting 2 years is durable?
    Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 Diddies
    Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

[QUOTE="Diddies"]. You say durable and machine lasting 2 years is pretty durable.>Wild_Card
    you think paying 600 bucks for a system and it lasting 2 years is durable?

The way technology is moving so fast...they don't have much time to see how durable it is. So if some NEW technology comes out and it lasts a year...then that is pretty good. But 150 isn't that much. If you get a free repair...then goood job...if not then I guess you will have to pay for itor don't. Or you can move on to other consoles durability isn't as good as the PS3. It's your call. I just know that I paid to get mine fixed...and i know if it does it again...then I will complain because I just got my 60GB fixed last November.

jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jfrancis04
    Member since 2006 • 531 Posts

Dude...KEEP fighting it. I posted a new topic a few days back called "FRUSTRATED with Sony" because my PS3 recently stopped reading discs. Check out that thread if you want all the details b/c I'll be brief here. After one service call and one email, they weren't budging. On my 2nd email...I struck gold. They agreed to repair the unit for free as a one-time gesture of good will. I never lied or was misleading either. Just keep fighting it, but don't be a jerk about it. Let them know that you understand the warranties are in place for a reason and you know it's difficult for them to change the rules BUT . You may just end up getting as lucky as I did.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CajunShooter
    Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

You do know that this is the same with any electronics you will ever buy. They come with a set warranty and if they go out after the warranty is up you have to pay for a replacement. You are getting another PS3 for only $150. They could not offer refurbs and just make you buy a brand new one for $400.

When you go out and buy a $1500 TV, it will probably come with a one year warranty. If it breaks after that year you will have to pay for repairs. For most TVs you can by extended warranties to cover it for 2 or 3 years but it is usually several hundred more dollars.

People need to stop throwing around all this "I'm a loyal PS3 user". Sony is a business. I bet Sony does wish they could replace every broken PS3 with a brand new free one, but as a business they can't just throw money like that around or they won't be around for very long.

Electronics get affected by so many different things. Anything from humidty or dust can cause the death of an electronic. They can't cover all of that.

Dante865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dante865
    Thank you for everything guys, great advice - i shall send this letter to sony with some modifications and let you know of the reply. Here's to making the customer service a better service!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
    deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#31 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
    Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
    Does nobody vlog this crap anymore? Ugh, we need a sticky..........
    verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 verbalfilth
    Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
    It might strike a nerve as it seems you've done your law homework pretty well.. Although they might not care too much to about your threat to sue; they might just replace it for you to please you as a customer.. and if they decide not to...well, at least you tried.
    shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 shabab12
    Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts
    copy and save for me. thats what im sending when mine breaks. cheers
    brownwhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 brownwhale
    Member since 2007 • 717 Posts

I understand ya, I have had mine break and you really feel cheated by sony, but you must realize at some point or another, it is an electronic, and sony is still top of the line in quality and I thought their customer service lines were nice and quick, about two minutes for me but I am in the US. Anyway, dont take that crap and pay them money, If they told you it was a harddrive failure, then just buy a new drive, and you wont void the warrenty, start thinking not complaining. Its much cheaper and you will get over your lost data. For my story, I opened mine up and basically my dad saw a wire in the power supply(we knew it was a power supply problem) and he put it back the way it should and it was fixed. Didnt void the warrenty either, causemy case was partly broken on the inside, small peice of plastic that holds a screw to keep the top cover on, so I got to blow out all my dust and there was alot. I know, I know, when you spend that much money, it should'nt break at all, but then again they didnt test them under all conditions, especially not a two year durability test. Try multiple solutions, but yea, If they do replace your PS3, even if it wasnt a haddrive failure(harddrives arent made by sony). Then you still will never get your data cause everytime you put a HDD into a dif console, then it has to be formatted and lose all ur data. Its a crappy way they made it but when you get your baby to start up again, youll forget all about it.