My Dualshock 3 Makes a Crackling Noise When Twisted

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Srbanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Srbanator
Member since 2006 • 790 Posts

I have two brand new Dualshock 3's and both of them make a crackling noise when twisted or pressed. Normally, I wouldn't be so nit-picky about such a thing, but after paying $50 bucks for a controller I expect it to be solid. I'm thinking of returning them but I wanted to ask if anyone else's DS3 does this, or have I just been unlucky?

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
They all do that, from what I've experienced. They're not quite as solidly built as you'd expect, unfortunately.
LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
You don't need to twist your controller to play a game, so don't. Problem solved.
Srbanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Srbanator
They all do that, from what I've experienced. They're not quite as solidly built as you'd expect, unfortunately.DJ_Lae
You'd think they are, at least from the feel of the controller.
Srbanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Srbanator
You don't need to twist your controller to play a game, so don't. Problem solved.LightR
Of course, but there's just something annoying about paying for a brand new product and not getting something that's well built. Faults, like the triggers not being the greatest things in the world, I can deal with. But something like the insides being a little loose just irks me a bit.
LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts

[QUOTE="LightR"]You don't need to twist your controller to play a game, so don't. Problem solved.Srbanator
Of course, but there's just something annoying about paying for a brand new product and not getting something that's well built. Faults, like the triggers not being the greatest things in the world, I can deal with. But something like the insides being a little loose just irks me a bit.

The insides aren't loose... It's just when you put pressure on the frame it moves agaisnt the screws holding it in place and and the seams in the frame rub together. That's the sound of your controller keeping itself together. I've taken my controller apart and have put it back together and I don't see how they could've maken it any tighter without cutting off access to the inside of the controller or adding unneccesaary screws. The would've had to use a different material.

Srbanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Srbanator

[QUOTE="Srbanator"][QUOTE="LightR"]You don't need to twist your controller to play a game, so don't. Problem solved.LightR

The insides aren't loose... It's just when you put pressure on the frame it moves agaisnt the screws holding it in place and and the seams in the frame rub together. That's the sound of your controller keeping itself together. I've taken my controller apart and have put it back together and I don't see how they could've maken it any tighter without cutting off access to the inside of the controller or adding unneccesaary screws. The would've had to use a different material.

The screws eh? That makes sense. Ah well, they're not exactly made to be twisted are they? I'll live with it.
Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts

I dont normally jump into a thread with a smart arse comment, but since when did twisiting plastic not make a cracking sound? its the fact the controller is brand new that it makes the crackling noise you say, its because it has been newly formed and with use it gets used to the give.

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#9 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts

good thing you didnt get the old sixaxis so them things were made from egg shells. the dualshocks are much stronger but even at that they arent as strong as the ps2 pad or the 360s they skimped out and used really cheap plastic

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yeah it's the plastic bending and rubbing together, like rubbing two balloons together you get an even more annoying sound... I'd rather hear slight rubbing which tells me the two faceplates are really tight together than none at all and have a gap between them :P
Srbanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Srbanator
The SIXAXIS actually feels sturdier to me. At least it doesn't make that damn sound when I twist it. I think I have OCD or something, this is such a stupid thing to bother me this much.
Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts

It has to do with the fact that the dualshock has more parts, and more moving parts inside the controller