This topic is locked from further discussion.

pashmina626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 0

#1 pashmina626
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

I just got the PS3 for Christmas this year and I cannot wait to get started with it but there is a question that I need to know right away.

I am going to be putting the system in my bedroom for the time being then hopefully later this year my new room in the bedroom will be ready as I'm going to put it in there but I was reading in the manual last night that if the system is moved it could damaged the hard drive and probably lose data so is that true and is there a easy way to move it without any problems?.

Also I have a tv in my room that I'm going to be setting my ps3 to is Sd but I think the tv that is going to the basement is a hd so would I need to change the settings on the system around?.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
you'll be alright i figure.. i moved my ps3 back and forth between my parents house over Christmas and nothing went wrong... and it was in a duffel bag full of other stuff banging around..
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
Just shut everything down and do what you want. Some people will carry there system to friends houses without a problem. Also when you connect to a different TV with a different connection you can have the phat PS3's do a auto connect that will use the connection that's being used for video. I don't know how the slims work on this part of the set-up.
jasonlc3221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 jasonlc3221
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

I just got the PS3 for Christmas this year and I cannot wait to get started with it but there is a question that I need to know right away.

I am going to be putting the system in my bedroom for the time being then hopefully later this year my new room in the bedroom will be ready as I'm going to put it in there but I was reading in the manual last night that if the system is moved it could damaged the hard drive and probably lose data so is that true and is there a easy way to move it without any problems?.

Also I have a tv in my room that I'm going to be setting my ps3 to is Sd but I think the tv that is going to the basement is a hd so would I need to change the settings on the system around?.

pashmina626
You gotta always remember this.................. When ever you read anything in an owner's manual, 90% of that crap they say in there is very unlikely to happen, but they say it because they don't want to be sued just in case off of a remote chance of snow in hell that it actually happens and they lose out on millions of dollars in lawsuit money.
monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
you should be fine, just turn it off properly and switch it off at the back before moving it and if you connect using a HDMI cable it will auto correct settings for you, but if you go from HDMI back to composite on another Tv nothing will show up but you just hold down the power button to reset the settings
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
As long as the power is off, and you eject the disk, you will have absolutely no problems moving it.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
The only way it'll be damaged is if you aren't careful with it. I've moved my PS3s to different rooms plenty of times, and they're fine. Just make sure there isn't a disc in the system when moving it, and as long as you're careful everything will be ok.
nish2280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nish2280
Member since 2006 • 489 Posts

well my ps3 has gone from my room, to my parents room, to the living room, to my friends house over 100 times in total and i have had no problems. Just to be safe make sure there is no disk inside and it is quite obviously off.

You will loose data or corrupt data if you shake it around or drop it. i have actually dropped mine as it fell out of the bag i was carrying it in, there was no actual damage that would matter except that the little flap which hides the multimedia ports fell off which i didnt really care much for in the first place.

NotAFurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 NotAFurry
Member since 2003 • 6055 Posts

Sorry, you're asking if a video game console can be moved from one place to another? I mean, come on! You're not moving a house of cards.

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts

You shouldn't move the PS3 while it is ON. Moving it while it is turned off is not a problem. All HDD's "park" when they are shut down, meaning all the moving parts are locked. As long as you don't drop it down the stairs you should be fine.

cheese1756

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cheese1756
Member since 2009 • 58 Posts

pashmina626

Turn on "multi-channel audio" or something like that in the audio menu so that the audio isn't disabled in certain games.

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

You will be 100% fine. A friend of mine has a PS3 hat he tosses around in his back seat all the time. People sit in the back seat and throw it around like its some kinda cardboard box lol. He doesnt care....lol... O yea it works fine some how....

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
lol thats a short trip dont worry you will be fine i take mine with me around the world it went from japan to singapore to england to quatar to australia and back to england and its in perfect shape not to mention several house moves. P.S Never try to open you ps3 case at security at the airport otherwise you will have guns aiming right at you =S
FendersONLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 FendersONLY
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts
When I was still job searching I used to bring mine downstairs all the time to play in HD. Still do on my days off when the roommate isn't around. That was pretty much everyday too and nothing happened so your safe. Whether its an Original PS3, or a PS3 Slim. I recently upgraded to the Slim and move it fairly frequently and I have no issues whatsoever. Just don't drop it :P
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#15 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
Im pretty sure that if the part you mentionated about the manual (moving the console may damage HDD) exist. then its either an exaggeration, or they were trying to tell you not to throw your PS3 with a baseball glove or something like that... about the TV...if you connect your PS3 to an SDTV and then connect it to an HDTV with an HDMI cable or components cable, your PS3 will automatically detect them and will take you to the setup screen of this cables, setup is fast and easy
Mudkipcool234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mudkipcool234
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
That is wat I'm wondering cause me and my sis want Christmas tree to go where tv is and that where i have ps3 hooked up and I'm a afraid that when I disconnect it all that I'm going to lose all my trophies and stuff so yea. How did urs do cause if it worked tell me what u did so I don't lose anything . Message me when u have the time ty.
fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

You will be 100% fine. A friend of mine has a PS3 hat he tosses around in his back seat all the time. People sit in the back seat and throw it around like its some kinda cardboard box lol. He doesnt care....lol... O yea it works fine some how....

hawk549

Quality built parts lol

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
I move my PS3 all the time and I never had any problems. Different TV's and everything. Just do what the others said and hold the power button.
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#19 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

If you're kicking it like a soccer ball to your bedroom I can see how the hard drive could get messed up. But just picking it up and moving it will be fine, so long as the system itself is not on.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
you should be alright moving it, just dont drop it or flip it around or anything, just be carfull while moving it.
cropcircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cropcircles
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts
You can move it all you want, just not while it's on. That's what they mean when they say that. They are talking about while it's on.
deathxxshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deathxxshark
Member since 2006 • 541 Posts
Moving your system will only damage the hard drive if the hard drive is spinning/being used. If you're planning on moving your system, turn it off completely, wait a few seconds to be safe to be sure hard drive has stopped spinning, and you should be good.