Most over-rated/under-rated PS3 game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mickyplankon
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts

Most over-rated GTA 4:Great production values but crap cars, unresponsive movement, dodgy collision physics and repetitive mission structures.

Most under-rated: Infamous - Slightly underwhelming graphics and initial missions but gets better and better and better from2 hours in. Amazing fun to play.

craigofadown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 craigofadown
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts

I'd say that you were about right with GTA 4 but in terms of under-rated I think Saint's Row 2 might be the way to go, I thought it was great.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#3 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Overrated: Uncharted 2. Awesome game but not game of the generation like some people say. And Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. It didn't even compare to AC2.

Underrated: The Orange Box. Best shooter on the PS3 but no one seems to talk about it.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts
underrated: id have to say nier. the game has a great story, only thing i can complain about is the side missions are boring and tedious. overrated: black ops by far. that game lags so much its game breaking. it is fun when not lagging, but i lagged 75% of the time..........just a game that is over hyped.
mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mickyplankon
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts
I agree i nearly went with Half Life 2 myself instead of Infamous. Half Life 2 is without doubt the greatest shooter/adventure i have ever played.
planetjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 planetjumper
Member since 2010 • 638 Posts

Overrated: Uncharted 1 or Infamous i don't like either of those games

Underrated: Valkyria Chronicles

i would say orange box but absolutely everyone bought it on pc, i have it on both, but it's kinda buggy on ps3

Kuroi_Gothic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Kuroi_Gothic
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Over rated: inFamous. got it for free from the psn thing they had. i just cant seem to be in love with it, its an okay game. since every one seemed to praise it, i thought i would like it and it was just "meh" Under Rated: Devil May Cry 4, i dont know if it was because it when to xbox as well, but i didnt hear or read to much about it unlike other titles. personally i love it, been DMC fan since the 1st.
Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

Over-rated: Demon's Souls.

Under-rated: Heavenly Sword.

LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts

Overrated: Demon's Souls

Underrated: Shadows of the Damned

Elvondar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Elvondar
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Lulz, knew there would be haters for Demon's Souls. Don't really understand though how you can say Demon's Souls is an OVER-rated game considering what else is out there.

Laser_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Laser_Hunter
Member since 2010 • 4780 Posts
Overrated: Uncharted 2 Underrated: Hannah Montana
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Over-rated Demon souls

Under-rated the Darkness.

LetsPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LetsPlayer
Member since 2010 • 198 Posts
Over - Any war based shooter (E.G. MW3) Under - Infamous
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
over -rated cod series resident evil 5 under- rated castlevania vanguish final 13 orange box darksiders
Moon__Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Moon__Light
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts
Overrated - Half-Life 2, SF4 Underrated - Valkyria Chronicles, Mirror's Edge.
andrewrosati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 andrewrosati
Member since 2011 • 115 Posts
Overrated: Black Ops/GTA IV. Doesn't need explaining. Underrated: The Orange Box (even though this is five games) Half Life 2 is one of the best shooters of all time and isn't just a run and gun action experience either, it's smarter than that. Not to mention that you get the two episodes that follow it, Portal which was revolutionary despite it's length and brought new life to puzzle games, and Team Fortress, although weaker than the PC version can still hold it's own as a fun, replayable multiplayer shooter that isn't Call of Duty. (although none of these seven games are PS3 exclusive. Actually these are my opinions on overrated/underrated games for all platforms, except that on the PC The Orange Box really did get the treatment it deserved)
cosmicwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 cosmicwave
Member since 2005 • 1237 Posts

overrated: infamous 1&2
underrated: folklore

Waffie_Roffle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Waffie_Roffle_
Member since 2008 • 224 Posts

over rated- cod 4 i guess

under rated- resistance 1

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#19 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Overatted:ImFamous: I just don't know what people saw in the game that made it so appealing.

Underatted:Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction: While I perfer A Crack in Time this was still a top notch game.

jocaju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jocaju
Member since 2007 • 853 Posts
Overrated: Fallout 3 Underrated: Afrika
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
Overatted: Infamous - I got this as onme of my welcome back games and I absolutly hate it. Underatted - The Saboteur - I got this game for $20 alittle over a year ago and it is one of my favorite games.
sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts
Overrated: COD (WAY overrated) Underrated: MAG
Wildesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wildesy
Member since 2008 • 130 Posts
Overrated - All the identical war based shooters. What a bore Underrated - Mirror's Edge, Folklore, Enslaved
supernatordjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 supernatordjt
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Yikes... After reading some of these posts, this thread seems to be a place for some people with peculiar tastes in video games to plug their guilty pleasures. :)

Over-rated: I'm gonna say Modern Warfare games and Black Ops. They are solid shooters and all, but I do think they are generally overrated. Plus, I kinda prefer the old world war Call of Duties myself.

Under-rated: I'm gonna go with Virtua Fighter 4. It was an amazing 3D fighter and even more for it's generation. It's just a travesty that Virtua Fighter 5 was released with no online support, and hasn't been updated with said online mode or any DLC. Maybe they'll do better with VF 6.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Overrated = Final Fantasy 13, God of War 3( I tried it after i played castlevania. The game was tedious sinse the beginning ) GTA4 ( way over rated )

Underrated = Castlevania LoS, MAG.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Overrated - Uncharted and Killzone. This site doesn't shut up about them. Killzone especially, it's a generic shooter with average at best graphics (bad textures and blur everywhere).

Underrated - Super stardust, inFamous 1.

Kuroi_Gothic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kuroi_Gothic
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Overatted: Infamous - I got this as onme of my welcome back games and I absolutly hate it. Underatted - The Saboteur - I got this game for $20 alittle over a year ago and it is one of my favorite games. jcopp72

OMG, that's what happen to me with inFamous, as soon as i started with the first missions and hated it, just doing it for the trophies.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
Overrated would be Resistance 2 and underrated would be Mirrors Edge.
gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts
Underrated - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. The game is solid all around. Gameplay, story, clever multiplayer, and graphics. All fantastic. Overrated - I have to say COD Black Optsand Madden 12. Everyone is so crazy about it but I think the previous installments were better.
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#31 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

Overrated - Call of Duty series I hate when people say it's the best game ever because it's no where near that to me it's just a generic war shooter.

Underrated - Shadows of the Damned which is a great game and to me it's seems like the spritual successor to Resident Evil 4.

Stevelovessony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Stevelovessony
Member since 2011 • 267 Posts
Overrated: fallout 3, a bunch of fetch missions and hour long hikes Underrated: deus ex human revolution, stealth, shooter, rpg, open world, variety in the way you approach missions. Amazing game deserved a 9.5-10 imo
bpthomas85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bpthomas85
Member since 2011 • 150 Posts
Overrated: every tony hawk game Underrated: parappa the rapper
Wolfy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Wolfy1986
Member since 2011 • 30 Posts

Over-rated:

Final Fantasy 13 - Gave it a chance but just couldn't get into the game whatsoever, hated all of the characters pretty much too.

Infamous - Played it for a while but just seemed a little too repetitive, ended up getting bored of it pretty quickly.

Demon's Souls - Good game but that's about it, didn't really find it to be anything special.

Resident Evil 5 - Completely average. Used the exact same template of Resi 4 and felt like the dev's were real lazy in designing the game.

Under-rated:

Shadows of the Damned - Fantastically fun to play, wicked sense of humour. Reminded me a lot of Resi 4.

Nier - Good story and a great soundtrack, graphics weren't anything special but the characters and atmosphere of the game were awesome.

Mafia 2 - Pretty average gunplay but great story and voice acting, loved playing through this game.

Singularity - Just different to other fps games at the time and was a lot of fun, shame it didn't get the attention it deserved.

jfloydLunar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jfloydLunar
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Overrated would be any COD/MoH/type FPS (I don't count games like BioShock, Portal, and Half-Life with those) and Skyrim. Underrated I would say Rune Factory Tides of Destiny. That game got some so-so rating, but I found it to be really enjoyable. Also I would say Final Fantasy XIII could be considered underrated, for a Final Fantasy game. It was still well received but I believe if it was not labeled a Final Fantasy game people would have been more forgiving. I would also say Resonance of Fate and Eternal Sonata were underrated.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Overrated

- Heavenly Sword: Extremely average game with terrible input lag and base gameplay. The game has air combos but no jump button, a lot of dumb decisions in this game. Also awful dialogue but good character design.

- inFAMOUS: Really bad character design and boring environments. Definitely not a AAA game the side missions are very repetitive and the characters are ALL dull, platforming is suberb though.

Underrated

- inFAMOUS 2: Such an improvement in character design and personality. Pretty much liked all characters, the city was a lot more interesting though strangely quite. Gameplay just as good with added new powers but side missions still boring.

- Valkyria Chronicles: The most beautiful looking game this gen and with gameplay that is just as amazing. Definitely requires patience but a title that is a breath of fresh air amongst all the trigger happy games.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
underrated - yakuza franchise / 3d dot game heroes / wipeout hd fury
Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts

I'd say GTA4 is overrated for the same reasons you mentioned. I had much more fun with San Andreas and I still do.

Underrated, has to be the Saboteur. that game was amazing and certainly a rival to GTA and Assassins Creed, personally I prefered it over the 2. It's a shame really.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

overrated : GTA4

underrated: Resident Evil Racoon City

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Speaking purely in terms of Gamespot scores: Overrated - Resistance 2: I thought this one was thoroughly mediocre, if not subpar in alot of areas. It does seem to have a nice and unique 8 player co-op, but the multiplayer was godawful, and the campaign was generic with some really poor "pattern based" boss battles (i.e. run in circles and shoot when the boss gives lays down and gives you an opening... totally last gen stuff). I would score this game about a 7.0 or 6.5 at best.

Equally Overrated: All the sequels to COD4. How many times to rehash the same thing without making any improvements... at all. And yet all these games get the same 8.5 or 9.0 score? It's rediculous. It was fun at first, but come on now at least build a different engine or something.

Underrated - Dragon's Dogma. This game is pretty amazing, with some of the other junk that gets 9.0 this open world action/RPG should have gotten an 8.5 or 9.0 easily.

NiszuMX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NiszuMX
Member since 2010 • 290 Posts

Overrated: Grand Theft Auto IV, too much hype. I can't stand it.

Underrated: Vanquish, quite enjoyable gameplay especially unique mechanic rocket-sliding.

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
I really enjoyed GTA 4, to me, it was perfect. I actually beat it all too, was very hard towards the end. Overrated: Resistance Underrated: OFP: Dragon Rising (though it's pretty dry)
Avatar image for Rioichi21Cooper
Rioichi21Cooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Rioichi21Cooper
Member since 2012 • 246 Posts

Over-rated: Demon's Souls.

Under-rated: Heavenly Sword.

finalserenade75

SO true!

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
Overrated: Metal Gear Solid 4, im so sick of hearing the game is the best ever, *flame suit ON* I don't care I got lost in the story, I hated the controls, I hated the mechanics and it did not give a good experience, considering the fact I have played every Metal Gear Solid that has ever come out, this one did not appeal to me at all. GTA 4: Whoever thinks this game is the best ever obviously is kissing Rockstar's butt and lips, this game is good and all, but I hate the fact cars move rediciously slow, the aiming stinks, the melee is horrible, Niko Bellic (he's an adequate character, but people talk like he's so bad*** when he really doesn't know whether to shoot or go blind, but I'm not saying this game is bad by no means, it's a pretty good game, I love the graphics, going out with friends and drinking and having their perks like Roman's Taxi or Jacob's Weapons, cell phone usage, internet, but it is severely limiting in what to do in terms of free roaming after you beat the side missions. COD series: You don't even want to know what I will say. Underrated: Stranglehold best 5 bucks I ever spent, and I suggest you do the same Heavy Rain, the replay value is enough to keep playing it! Fallout 3, another one of my favorites Duke Nukem Forever, great fun, graphics, humor, and just plain fun
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

Overrated: Mass Effect 2 or Heavy Rain

Underrated: Shadows of the Damned or Heavenly Sword

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts
Overrated: Resistance 2, Demons Souls UR: flower, fallout new vegas
187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

Overrated: Mass Effect 3

Underrated: Binary Domain

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

"overrated: demons souls"

N.. n- NO! I actually feel like it is quite on par with its rating. Most people discuss it exactly how it is, and dont hype parts of the game that shouldn't be hyped. Nobody says the story is great (some say the back story is interesting though), they say it has great combat (it does.) unique online (yes) and cool bosses (yes). While it might not be fun for everyone (not every game is liked by everyone) that doesn't necessarily make it over rated.

but to each his own, just my two cents on that.

Over-rated: Fallout. Story is meh, acting is ok, shooting is not fun, and rpg elements don't feel satisfactory imo.

Underrated: cant think of one. i wouldnt consider Deus ex underrated, it is fairly accurately described and praised.

Avatar image for IWantPlatinum75
IWantPlatinum75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 IWantPlatinum75
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

"overrated: demons souls"

N.. n- NO! I actually feel like it is quite on par with its rating. Most people discuss it exactly how it is, and dont hype parts of the game that shouldn't be hyped. Nobody says the story is great (some say the back story is interesting though), they say it has great combat (it does.) unique online (yes) and cool bosses (yes). While it might not be fun for everyone (not every game is liked by everyone) that doesn't necessarily make it over rated.

but to each his own, just my two cents on that.

Over-rated: Fallout. Story is meh, acting is ok, shooting is not fun, and rpg elements don't feel satisfactory imo.

Underrated: cant think of one. i wouldnt consider Deus ex underrated, it is fairly accurately described and praised.

Grimlim
i LOVE DUES EX!
Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

MANY PEOPLE DO! INCLUDING ME (preferably the first one). which is why it is not underrated.