Monster Hunter... Don't Understand?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boogernuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Boogernuts
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts

everyone raves about it, commercials are all over TV... so why do the critics give it like 5's and 6's?

What's the real story?

Because the idea of slaying giant monsters SOUNDS cool.

Any guy that says he doesn't self pleasure cannot be trusted. - Me

Schultz38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Schultz38
Member since 2009 • 745 Posts

The main reason is the camera. I have never understood this though, because I have adapted to the cam quite easily. Plus, it's extremely hard, and some people don't like that level of intensity. Over all, I've wondered the same thing, "Why give it such a low rating?" Those don't seem like enough problems to give itthat low of a rating.

Here's the Gamespot reviewhttp://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/monsterhunterportable2ndg/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

I just don't get it.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
The metascore is much higher, some reviewers just don't like it while others are crazy into it. The camera controls are probably as good as they can be on the PSP without an auto-cam, although that still doesn't make using the side of your left index finger very comfortable. The other thing that bothered me was how static the animations were. Other than that, it's just a very demanding game which isn't everyone's cup of tea, and of course, it doesn't have online.
Avatar image for Ryusuke_Akihiro
Ryusuke_Akihiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ryusuke_Akihiro
Member since 2007 • 425 Posts

The camera and controls definitely take some getting used to. The reviewers probably didn't put much time into the game when they reviewed it or they believe a game needs to be accessible to be good. Either way I'm having a REALLY hard time trying to get into this series.

I LOVE MMO-like games that you can play for hundreds of hours. I love making items and I love farming for materials to make them so I just can't understand why I've been having such a hard time liking this game...

This is my 4th time trying to get into this but I just... can't get into it... ;_; It sucks, because this is a series I'd really like to get into...

I just keep thinking to myself: Maybe it's the setting? Since I don't like the whole dinosaur-like monsters. Or maybe it really is the camera? Even though it isn't THAT bad. The last thing I could think of was maybe it's the ugly menu graphics, but I usually don't care if a game looks pretty or not. (Although I can't stand how some games on this system are either very blurry ports or have that weird gritty graphics thing going on. Like in games like Dissidia or Jeanne D'Arc. It makes small icons or pictures harder for me to make out sometimes. x_x)

ahnzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ahnzz
Member since 2006 • 612 Posts

yeahthey always complain about not having the lock on ability, if monster hunter had that it would be too easy to use a bow anda gunand too easy to dodge. i like the camra control if you suck learn how to use it. it aint that hard and the game is tough wich makes it fun playing with your buddies and all. its not such a bad a game

SillySkeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SillySkeleton
Member since 2008 • 933 Posts

The high learning curve and camera control are the big issues reviewers have with the game. The games fairly high difficulty can also turn some people off.
But Monster Hunter is truley one of the best games avaliable on PSP if you can get into it. It's a real 'love it or hate it' game, I think.