Microsoft wants a Blu-Ray license.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rotting_Ralph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rotting_Ralph
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts

Yes! The war has been won! Blu-Ray has indeed kicked the butt of HD DVD.

I read that Microsoft wants to buy a Blu-Ray license off Sony. What they wanna do is to make an external Blu-Ray player for the 360, like the HD DVD ones they have on the shelves collecting dust.

Personally, I don't think Sony should give in. They've endured far to much taunting from Sh**-box lovers and to just give into serious $$$ from Microsoft.

When I first got my PS3 all my mates said it was a bad choice. I stuck to my gut instinct that I was right. I told em, "you know, Microsoft is gonna have to incorporate that technology one day. Huge disks with great quality? Why wouldn't they. Blu-Ray is the future. Just like when the PS2 came out, DVD was the future." N they said "It'll be a sad day for microsoft if that ever happens".

I am so happy right now... I've decided to put it off telling them until I know for sure what's happening. It's gonna feel so good when I tell 'em all how wrong they were and how right I was.

If anyone knows more info about this, then let me know! Oh n if this has already been a topic, let me know also.

Thanks guys!

lostsoulsofmn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostsoulsofmn
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts
microsoft will get the liscense, but its going to come with a HUGE price tag attached to it. way to go sony! i never lost faith in you guys
Rotting_Ralph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rotting_Ralph
YEah. They probs will. But it still sucks, like Blu-Ray is what was really goin for Sony. N now their biggest rival is gonna try'n buy them out? That sucks.
lostsoulsofmn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lostsoulsofmn
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts
you see thats the thing though, microsoft is going to do anything to get blu-ray for the 360 now that their precious HD is dead and they have no movie format. that means that sony can make them pay as much as they want. the same would have happened if HD would have won, sony would have to pay out of the *** to make sure that they got it or else it would be a huge nail in the coffin type situation for them.
vegetattack15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vegetattack15
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts

System Wars guys, people come here to escape this sort of thing.

P.S.-If I was Sony...DENIED, lol.

ps320071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ps320071
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts
yea but a external br is not gonna make a change on how the games will be itll just let em watch blue ray dvds
Rotting_Ralph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rotting_Ralph

True. But, don't you think that Sony wouldn't sell?

1. To show how right they were. And-
  2. They're profits in the long-run would be far greater.

Like, when the PS3 system first came out in Japan, more Systems were sold than games. Which shows that some got it just for movies. Also, the PS3 has long been the number 1 selling Blu-Ray player. If Xbox suddenly has a Blu-Ray, PS3's certainly won't sell as much. Consumers will think, "why bother buying a PS3 for Blu-Ray when I can spend $250 on an attachment for my 360?".

Thoughts???

Rotting_Ralph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rotting_Ralph
Its not a fight though. It's what people think Sony will do.
Rotting_Ralph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rotting_Ralph
...so what're you saying?
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

microsoft will get the liscense, but its going to come with a HUGE price tag attached to it. way to go sony! i never lost faith in you guyslostsoulsofmn

How does Sonydetermine the price for lisencing when THEY DON'T OWN BLU-RAY. Why do people keep saying this over and over again?

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
I thought M$ was more geared towards digital distribution anyways? Why would they want Blu Ray?
The_G00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_G00se
Member since 2006 • 760 Posts
Yeah, and they should get it. It will only put more money in Sony's pockets in the long run.
vegetattack15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vegetattack15
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="lostsoulsofmn"]microsoft will get the liscense, but its going to come with a HUGE price tag attached to it. way to go sony! i never lost faith in you guyshiryu3

How does Sonydetermine the price for lisencing when THEY DON'T OWN BLU-RAY. Why do people keep saying this over and over again?

The reason behing this is regardless of whether Sony owns the outright property that is Blue-Ray, they have a long-term financial interest in the media and it's assets. So if Blue-Ray sells, Sony makes money, period.

Rotting_Ralph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rotting_Ralph

[QUOTE="lostsoulsofmn"]microsoft will get the liscense, but its going to come with a HUGE price tag attached to it. way to go sony! i never lost faith in you guyshiryu3

No, but sony owns the logo.

EvilSpeaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EvilSpeaker
Member since 2005 • 1410 Posts

fact: Sony is one of and the biggest ownner of Blu-ray technology, along with eight other company that help pushing Blu-ray format.

goggle it up before you make your post

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cloudstrife75
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
The biggest selling point of the Ps3 is the blu-ray player. Sony would be stupid to let Microsoft have rights to it since Ps3 is last in the war of the systems right now.
fet11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fet11
Member since 2002 • 172 Posts
They just want you to have to pay for your decision to back HD/Microsoft. This is the same manner of which America would have to pay for supporting Obama or Hillary
hermes200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 hermes200
Member since 2003 • 1627 Posts
[QUOTE="hiryu3"] [QUOTE="lostsoulsofmn"]microsoft will get the liscense, but its going to come with a HUGE price tag attached to it. way to go sony! i never lost faith in you guysEvilSpeaker

fact: Sony is one of and the biggest ownner of Blu-ray technology, along with eight other company that help pushing Blu-ray format.

Which means if Sony is not willing to sell the technology, MS can go to 8 different options...
EvilSpeaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EvilSpeaker
Member since 2005 • 1410 Posts

[QUOTE="EvilSpeaker"][QUOTE="hiryu3"] [QUOTE="lostsoulsofmn"]microsoft will get the liscense, but its going to come with a HUGE price tag attached to it. way to go sony! i never lost faith in you guyshermes200

Which means if Sony is not willing to sell the technology, MS can go to 8 different options...

you know, i'm not going to agrue with childish topic like this, you should go learn how board associate bussiness work then post your comment about munity.

nonetheless, if Microsoft want the technology, they will get it. It's the market law, look it up.

boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts

Wow, you guys really think Sony should stick it to MS on Blu-Ray? That would be a huge loss to Sony. Take it as you will, but Blu-Ray has won NOTHING at this point. DVD is going strong, and will continue for a very long time. People don't want to adapt to HD players, and the sales show. By MS releasing a cheap external Blu-Ray player it would most definately increase the movie/player sales significantly. By not allowing MS to do this, Sony is shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm sorry, but sony offering the cheapest blu-ray player for $400 is just a recipe for failure. General consumers can NOT afford that.

Honestly, if HD-DVD had not gone down the drain, I would never have bought my PS3.

donwon06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 donwon06
Member since 2006 • 424 Posts

Yes! The war has been won! Blu-Ray has indeed kicked the butt of HD DVD.

I read that Microsoft wants to buy a Blu-Ray license off Sony. What they wanna do is to make an external Blu-Ray player for the 360, like the HD DVD ones they have on the shelves collecting dust.

Personally, I don't think Sony should give in. They've endured far to much taunting from Sh**-box lovers and to just give into serious $$$ from Microsoft.

When I first got my PS3 all my mates said it was a bad choice. I stuck to my gut instinct that I was right. I told em, "you know, Microsoft is gonna have to incorporate that technology one day. Huge disks with great quality? Why wouldn't they. Blu-Ray is the future. Just like when the PS2 came out, DVD was the future." N they said "It'll be a sad day for microsoft if that ever happens".

I am so happy right now... I've decided to put it off telling them until I know for sure what's happening. It's gonna feel so good when I tell 'em all how wrong they were and how right I was.

If anyone knows more info about this, then let me know! Oh n if this has already been a topic, let me know also.

Thanks guys!

Rotting_Ralph

sony is not the sole proprietors of Blu-ray so it won't just be up to them. They have a Blu-ray disc association that Sony is a part of. Come on stop being fanboys, it's sickening. Other consoles make good games too. That's why i went and bought a PS3 to add to my collection. Enjoying video games, isn't that what it's supposed to be about. Everybody has been getting sucked into the whole which system is better thing. That's how they want us to act. That way we forget about why we're all here in the first place. Because we like to play video games, not argue over who's system is better!!

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

System Wars guys, people come here to escape this sort of thing.

vegetattack15

was that a joke?

When Parmaount moved exclusive to HD-DVD and boosted MS chances to ruin Sony's Blu-ray future....I seem to remember a lot of Lems rejoicing saying Sony's Blu-ray was the next Betamax. Now that the tables have completely turned.....suddenly it doesn't matter.

I'll say this....it would have mattered BIG TIME if Sony would have out right lost and had to scrap Blu-ray as a homevideo format. Gamespot (even though a GAMESITE) understands this since they have been following it with articles.

firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts

...so what're you saying?Rotting_Ralph

I'm saying if you're happy that other people have to pay out the ass for a BR player, especially if it's just because they have a 360, is extremely lame.

zouhou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 zouhou
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts
Wow microsoft is starting to feel the heat well thats how sony was i say sony dont give in to microsoft plz dont its there problem their crappy hds arent good and now they are jealous i say sony keep up the great work.
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

Wow, you guys really think Sony should stick it to MS on Blu-Ray? .

boostud

Absolutely not. Anyone thinking Sony would deny their competitor this is fooling themselves. Sony wins on two counts here...first PR battle won with MS having to get Blu-ray for their machine and second Sony gets money directly from their compeitor. Has anyone looked at the losses PS3 has given the game division at Sony? There is no way Sony says no to more money. It's obvious there is a market for highdef movies because nearly half the HD-DVD's out there were the X360 drive. Saying no to those customers (who buy A LOT of movie software) would be incredibly stupid.

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

Why didn't this get modded yet...It's turning into System Wars...

If you want another opinion: If MS wants it, they'll get it. It's not up to Sony, Blu-ray doesn't belong to them. Sony is only leading the Blu-ray hardware with PS3 and advertising.