MGS4 won't run at 60fps.

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sushiboyyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sushiboyyyy
Member since 2003 • 670 Posts

I believe it's highly unlikely. I've been keeping a close eye on the MGS4 graphics engine since the begining. Everything has to do with motion blur.

There are 2 types of real time motion blur. The first kind is used only for camera movement. Some games that use it are, Uncharted, Halo 3, Rainbow 6 Vegas (360), and UT3,

The second kind is used on ALL movement on screen. Some games that use this are, Lost Planet, Crysis, PDZ, Motorstorm, The Club, and Killzone 2.

All of these games run at 30fps or less. A good example of this is Gran Turismo 5. The in game frame rate is 60fps, but once you watch the replay you'll notice that motion blur is added at the expense of frame rate (which drops to 30fps).

The first trailer for MGS4 ran at 60fps, and didn't have motion blur. The first MGS trailer to have any type of motion blur was the at GC06. The part where the militia are fighting against the Gekous had motion blur on camera movements.

A month later at TGS06, the first gameplay trailer showed motion blur when the camera was in first person mode.

Last year at the MGS 20th Anniversary party, Kojima showed the first playable demo of MGS4. The only sign of motion blur was when the player switched to first person view. Metal Gear Mk. II also had motion blur when switching to first person person view mode. The motion blur in this demonstration was still only used on camera movement only.

It stayed the same for over a year. At CES08 the new build of MGS4 has motion blur on ALL animations. An HD video of the demo can be seen here. http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_5908_1_en.htm

It seems like Kojima has been trying long and hard to get motion blur in this game. I personally think it looks great. It looks more life-like, and I'd perfer 30fps with motion blur over 60fps any day. MGS3 ran at 30fps and didn't effect the gameplay at all. I haven't seen a game to this day that runs at 60fps with motion blur, so I think it's pretty safe to say that this game won't either.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

Old news is old.

The game will go between 30-60fps depending on the action on the screen. Still will be an amzing game.

Suliman-Uchia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 Suliman-Uchia
Member since 2007 • 893 Posts
THe graphics look horrible. WHy did he spend 1 year on the opening scene insted of graphics. I mean it Kojima better make this game good.
sushiboyyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sushiboyyyy

THe graphics look horrible. WHy did he spend 1 year on the opening scene insted of graphics. I mean it Kojima better make this game good. Suliman-Uchia

Man are you kidding me? This game is looking just fine. One of the best looking games coming out.

The opening scene wasn't done by Kojima's team. It was done by a company named Logan.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#5 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts

"Just watch me, L. I'll solve equations with my right hand, and write names with my left! I'll take a potato chip... and eat it!"

There's a reason why hardcore anime watchers prefer Death Note's subbed.:)

MyzeDivine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MyzeDivine
Member since 2007 • 916 Posts

THe graphics look horrible. WHy did he spend 1 year on the opening scene insted of graphics. I mean it Kojima better make this game good. Suliman-Uchia

Judging from what we've seen on the game, MGS4 will easily be the best looking console game when it is released (imo). I'm thinking a lot of people downplay how good it looks because they compare it to games such as KZ2 and FFXIII which won't come out for another 5+ months after MGS4. Even then, MGS4 still looks good compared to those two, just not as good.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hazelnutman

You sir, are a (insert the worst thing you can say without getting moderated).

god_of_shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 god_of_shawn
Member since 2005 • 559 Posts
And Kojima don't really care about greaphics anyway, he's is one of the only few developers to focus on the game's GAMEPLAY, STORY AND AUDIO instead of graphics.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Symphonycometh

And Kojima don't really care about greaphics anyway, he's is one of the only few developers to focus on the game's GAMEPLAY, STORY AND AUDIO instead of graphics.god_of_shawn

....Audio.....MUST HAVE!

Come on Harry Gregson Williams!

Mrbiggerdems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mrbiggerdems
Member since 2005 • 554 Posts

I believe it's highly unlikely. I've been keeping a close eye on the MGS4 graphics engine since the begining. Everything has to do with motion blur.

There are 2 types of real time motion blur. The first kind is used only for camera movement. Some games that use it are, Uncharted, Halo 3, Rainbow 6 Vegas (360), and UT3,

The second kind is used on ALL movement on screen. Some games that use this are, Lost Planet, Crysis, PDZ, Motorstorm, The Club, and Killzone 2.

All of these games run at 30fps or less. A good example of this is Gran Turismo 5. The in game frame rate is 60fps, but once you watch the replay you'll notice that motion blur is added at the expense of frame rate (which drops to 30fps).

The first trailer for MGS4 ran at 60fps, and didn't have motion blur. The first MGS trailer to have any type of motion blur was the at GC06. The part where the militia are fighting against the Gekous had motion blur on camera movements.

A month later at TGS06, the first gameplay trailer showed motion blur when the camera was in first person mode.

Last year at the MGS 20th Anniversary party, Kojima showed the first playable demo of MGS4. The only sign of motion blur was when the player switched to first person view. Metal Gear Mk. II also had motion blur when switching to first person person view mode. The motion blur in this demonstration was still only used on camera movement only.

It stayed the same for over a year. At CES08 the new build of MGS4 has motion blur on ALL animations. An HD video of the demo can be seen here. http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_5908_1_en.htm

It seems like Kojima has been trying long and hard to get motion blur in this game. I personally think it looks great. It looks more life-like, and I'd perfer 30fps with motion blur over 60fps any day. MGS3 ran at 30fps and didn't effect the gameplay at all. I haven't seen a game to this day that runs at 60fps with motion blur, so I think it's pretty safe to say that this game won't either.

sushiboyyyy

I CAN'T HEAR YOU*PLUGS EARS*LALALALAALALALALALA

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hazelnutman

"Just watch me, L. I'll solve equations with my right hand, and write names with my left! I'll take a potato chip... and eat it!"

Symphonycometh

Oh my goodness...

Your link made me laugh so hard.

I"LL TAKE A POTATO CHIP.... AND EAT IT!!!

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"]

hazelnutman

Oh my goodness...

It's exactly why I laugh at those anime noobs that say that

"All subbed sucks". I mean, when the dubbed says stuff like that link, how do you compare?

MyNamIzDavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MyNamIzDavid
Member since 2008 • 79 Posts
I don't really care if it can't stay at a solid 60fps. This game looks awesome either way!
moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
I don't get motion blur. Why would I want it when I can easily re-create it with a poor monitor with a high response time.
Avatar image for Please_ThankYou
Please_ThankYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Please_ThankYou
Member since 2007 • 333 Posts

[QUOTE="Suliman-Uchia"]THe graphics look horrible. WHy did he spend 1 year on the opening scene insted of graphics. I mean it Kojima better make this game good. hazelnutman

You sir, are a (insert the worst thing you can say without getting moderated).

You should just go ahead and say the worst thing you can say without getting moderated. If it's the worst thing you can say WITHOUT getting moderated, you can't be moderated. You should have told us to insert the worst thing you can say period.

shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

most games dont run 60fps. resistance doesnt, uncharted doesnt, heaenly sword doesnt, the only game i have that does is ninja gaiden sigma.

not a big deal, 60 fps is a luxery.

Strife037

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Strife037
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="Symphonycometh"]

Symphonycometh

Oh my goodness...

"All subbed sucks". I mean, when the dubbed says stuff like that link, how do you compare?

would you please tell me what he said in the japanese version? i have been watching the series in english only everyweek and would like to know if its not to much trouble. Oh and about the fps it looks good with motion blur ganna be a beautiful game.

Avatar image for luigismansion101
luigismansion101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 luigismansion101
Member since 2003 • 733 Posts
the human eye doesnt even detect a difference in real time between anything above 18, so what does it matter. if it runs at 30fps constantly it will be great, as long as it doesnt dip down low you won't experience any lag issues at all. it's not going to be like an EA made game that has terrible framerate issues. 30 FPS is fine by me.
dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
It doesn't matter. This is a stealth game, so big whoop.
Avatar image for Anti-Nerd_Gamer
Anti-Nerd_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Anti-Nerd_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 143 Posts
Still looks SICK, I dont care what you say dude... Ur sounding a bit negative, nyways, still gettin it
Roman_Irishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Roman_Irishman
Member since 2007 • 29493 Posts
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="Symphonycometh"]

Symphonycometh

Oh my goodness...

YES! I have been telling people that for years!

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="Symphonycometh"]

Roman_Irishman

Oh my goodness...

:D Thanks. Sadly, United kids of America prefer sub-par acting for the sake of English. Now I love me some dub...when it's actually good, like FMA, but when people defend Death Note's dubbed...I can only think:

Have you never heard L's and Light's Japanese voice?

justin315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 justin315
Member since 2008 • 332 Posts
looks amazing... cant wait to get a ps3 and finish snakes final mission
jhonnyboi1134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jhonnyboi1134
Member since 2004 • 1263 Posts

ya we all know graphics make the game. *rolls eyes*

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="Symphonycometh"]

Strife037

Oh my goodness...

would you please tell me what he said in the japanese version? i have been watching the series in english only everyweek and would like to know if its not to much trouble. Oh and about the fps it looks good with motion blur ganna be a beautiful game.

He essentially states the same thing, only he sounds cool and collected and doesn't have that insane breathing the dubbed was doing.

Here's a 39 second sample of that incident. Hope it helps. I'll PM ya if you don't get this message.

Roman_Irishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 Roman_Irishman
Member since 2007 • 29493 Posts
[QUOTE="Roman_Irishman"][QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="Symphonycometh"]

Symphonycometh

Oh my goodness...

:D Thanks. Sadly, United kids of America prefer sub-par acting for the sake of English. Now I love me some dub...when it's actually good, like FMA, but when people defend Death Note's dubbed...I can only think:

Have you never heard L's and Light's Japanese voice?

Yup I know just what you mean.

sushiboyyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sushiboyyyy

Still looks SICK, I dont care what you say dude... Ur sounding a bit negative, nyways, still gettin itAnti-Nerd_Gamer

What? I said the game looks better now than it did since they added motion blur? Did you even read the first post?

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

I CAN'T HEAR YOU*PLUGS EARS*LALALALAALALALALALA

I think you should thrust your eyes instead, because even without your ears you can see this!!!! lol :)

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

sushiboyyyy

I think you might be mistaking depth perception with motion blur.

Crysis, Killzone, MGS4 are some of the games I know of that do depth perception.

It does take some fps away, but really as long as the game stays above 30 fps no matter what, does it matter? Not really. (to some yes)

MGS4 does use some motion blur in the game also.

why are people whining about 60fps all the time. It's like saying my Nissan GTR doesn't do 0-60 in 2 sec.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Big deal, the previous ones weren't in 60fps and were still awesome. I really couldn't care to be honest, I just play the games, I don't care how fast it's running.
aaron6581230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 aaron6581230
Member since 2005 • 2133 Posts
Why would anyone need 60fps in a STEALTH game anyways?
sushiboyyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sushiboyyyy
[QUOTE="sushiboyyyy"]

RahKayne

I think you might be mistaking depth perception with motion blur.

Crysis, Killzone, MGS4 are some of the games I know of that do depth perception.

It does take some fps away, but really as long as the game stays above 30 fps no matter what, does it matter? Not really. (to some yes)

MGS4 does use some motion blur in the game also.

why are people whining about 60fps all the time. It's like saying my Nissan GTR doesn't do 0-60 in 2 sec.

No. What you're talking about is Depth of Field. Where images in the foreground or background are blurred due to the camera's focus. Just watch the video I posted. I'm pretty sure you'll notice. Thats why I posted the pics. I thought people would understand. THIS is motion blur.

This is Depth of Field

I think this picture might have been the one that threw you off.

If you watch this shot in the TGS06 trailer, you'll notice that the blur occurs only when snake is moving. Just watch the video. You'll see.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts
hey, whatever keeps the game intense and fun without taking away anything :)
darkface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darkface
Member since 2004 • 5966 Posts
I didnt read anything other than the original post. With that being said, this game looks damn amazing! Cant wait!
FreddieGermany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FreddieGermany
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts
Its a stealth action game who cares the other mgs games didn't run in 60fps but there still all great games. it looks like it runs fine to me....... stop posting about the graphics in mgs4 the game is still in devlopment. the game is going to wrap up the whole metal gear solid series so its gonna be good 60 frames are not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
phoenix009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 phoenix009
Member since 2005 • 37 Posts
The real question is will it run at 1080p natively. Is this confirmed yet, or have I been under a rock?
HoodCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HoodCheese
Member since 2007 • 553 Posts
im definately getting this game. I hope no 360 fanboys review it for gamespot.
C-Himura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#39 C-Himura
Member since 2004 • 2160 Posts
All I have to say is... its MGS man!
moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
The real question is will it run at 1080p natively. Is this confirmed yet, or have I been under a rock?phoenix009

I was under the impression of 60fps @ 720p.
30-60fps @ 1080p
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#41 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
As long as MGS4 runs smoothly, I dont really care if it has motion blur, but I guess its better to have it than not. This game is gonna kik so much ass anyway.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

30ps or 60fps.... motion blur or not.... will get this game upon release because its gonna be GREAT !!!!!!

PSN ID: anubis1980

hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts
Wait, you seriously prefer 30fps with motion blur than 60fps? Go play perfect dark zero on the 360. That game defined motion blur. If you seriously like how that is and don't get a headache, then alright. But quite frankily, having motion blur on every single thing going on gives people headaches. I like games lifelike, and without all that blur.
tryfe_lyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#44 tryfe_lyn
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts

30fps or 60fps...who cares...this game is gonna be crazy!!

...and confusing :P

NuKkU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 NuKkU
Member since 2007 • 16904 Posts

those graphics are amazing man what you smoking

Babinro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Babinro
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
That's weak design for any current gen game. There should be no reason for a game to drop below 60fps. Graphics over gameplay is never a good idea in my opinion. Not to say that this will be a bad game as a result, I just think that if the final product drops frames it was a bad choice to allow for it.
firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts

Symphonycometh

hahaha, i laughed so much when i saw that on tv XD

firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts

Wait, you seriously prefer 30fps with motion blur than 60fps? Go play perfect dark zero on the 360. That game defined motion blur. If you seriously like how that is and don't get a headache, then alright. But quite frankily, having motion blur on every single thing going on gives people headaches. I like games lifelike, and without all that blur.hazuki

motion blur (if used correctly) makes game more realistic as fast moving pbjects are a blur and not a mesh of frames satrewn together. Crysis's motion blur is fine..........

FullSurface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FullSurface
Member since 2005 • 223 Posts
what was so good about halo and gears of war that made them favorites, possibly the game itself instead of graphics, hideo kojima stated he wouldn't focus on the looks too much but instead gameplay. in my opinion these type of creators score larger kudos then those who put all of the hype of the game on it's graphics. As far as the graphics in MGS4 you can't say nothing they are amazing to there ability. MGS4 game of the history of mankind.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"]

firebreathing

hahaha, i laughed so much when i saw that on tv XD

I don't watch TV (Insert WTFluff comments here.) but when I heard the cooler Japanese version months before, I had to see what the already misplaced dubbed did to the scene. :lol: And it was GRAND! :lol: