This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShowStopper102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ShowStopper102
Member since 2007 • 12382 Posts

Alright, I want a game. I've narrowed it down to MGS and COD.

COD's online is amazing, the perks, presteige's etc.. it's very fun.

On the other hand, MGS's story is pretty long I've heard, and is very fun and well put together.

I've never played any of the MGS's or previous COD's, only the fourth COD. So I've not a huge fan of the "series" itself.

Obviously, I would get COD for online, the story I wouldn't care for much. But MGS has a great story, online I'm not so sure about, I haven't heard much about it.

Can somebody please give me deatils on MGS's online mode, and maybe a little about both games? What game do you think would be best for me to get? I can only choose one of them.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it. God bless.

-Michael.

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts

well u really dont have to be a fan of the call of duty series to appreciate the 4th. in terms of mgs, it would be wise t have played the older titles first to truly take in the whole atmosphere of guns of the patriots. obviously, cod4 has better online, but dont discredit mgs4's becuase i enjoy it too, its just not as deep.

perfection1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 perfection1000
Member since 2006 • 1205 Posts

COD4. Intense single player and most likely THE best multiplayer game out right now.

MGS4: Its not even a game. IT like a movie. A cutscene every 5 minutes of gameplay. The cutscene are so annoying that they span to 15-20 minutes long. I would only recommend it if you are a fan of the series. Sure its epic an all but its only for the fans of the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#4 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
If you havent played all the past MGS games, dont get MGS4, because you wont get anything in that game. I think MGS4 is the better game by far, but not for people who arent fans of the series.
ShowStopper102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ShowStopper102
I see, COD's definatley winning right now. Thank you.
Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Devourment423
Member since 2005 • 2163 Posts

COD4. Intense single player and most likely THE best multiplayer game out right now.

MGS4: Its not even a game. IT like a movie. A cutscene every 5 minutes of gameplay. The cutscene are so annoying that they span to 15-20 minutes long. I would only recommend it if you are a fan of the series. Sure its epic an all but its only for the fans of the series.

perfection1000

I'm with this guy. The gameplay was fun in MGS, but there isn't much of it. I prefer CoD 4 myself, since I am not a huge fan of MGS games.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I would go with COD4 since it is a stand alone, but great game. MGS4 you wont get the same enjoyment out of it, that a person who has experienced the entire franchise would. Also you mentioned the story, you wont have a clue whats going on, trust me, so go with COD4.
fizzlegloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 fizzlegloop
Member since 2007 • 692 Posts

well u really dont have to be a fan of the call of duty series to appreciate the 4th. in terms of mgs, it would be wise t have played the older titles first to truly take in the whole atmosphere of guns of the patriots. obviously, cod4 has better online, but dont discredit mgs4's becuase i enjoy it too, its just not as deep.

ChiSoxBombers
i have never played any cod games before cod4. My friend told me to get it and i think that it is the most amazing game on the market to date. It will only be beat by cod world at war.
itwiz90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 itwiz90
Member since 2003 • 3037 Posts

COD4 is good for the multiplayer experience, you jump rigth in there really isn't a unique storyline.

MGS4, not difficult to understand and you really don;t have to be a fan of the series, if you like a mixture of gameplay and cinemas. The button presses for aiming and shooting are nearly the same, except for MGS4 is about stealth, but could be a shooter. Thinking stealthly requires more strategic planning on your part, if you don't want to set off any alerts.

I am not of fan of the view COD4 gtives you (first person). I lik MGS4 perspective better.

gollum007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 gollum007
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts
I see, COD's definatley winning right now. Thank you.ShowStopper102
Then again u could download the MGS4 Database off the PS Store and catch up on the series significantly and u could also go to wikipedia, unless ur one of those guys who whines so much cuz u have to read something for once...
Phenom316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Phenom316
Member since 2008 • 1650 Posts

I would say COD4 because its multiplayer gameplay and just everything about it is phenominal.

MGS4 is awesome but i think COD4 is better.

ShowStopper102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShowStopper102

[QUOTE="ShowStopper102"]I see, COD's definatley winning right now. Thank you.gollum007
Then again u could download the MGS4 Database off the PS Store and catch up on the series significantly and u could also go to wikipedia, unless ur one of those guys who whines so much cuz u have to read something for once...

Thanks, I don't mind the reading at all, haha.

ShowStopper102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShowStopper102

I would say COD4 because its multiplayer gameplay and just everything about it is phenominal.

MGS4 is awesome but i think COD4 is better.

Phenom316

Thanks, yeah, I'm going with COD, I want a game that'll last me a long time, and there's no doubt that COD will keep me in there. As for MGS, when its over, its over, because like GTA, I probably won't be playing online MGS. But I know it'll take quite some time for me to get to highest presteige level 55, that's a gauruntee.

Five_Star_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Five_Star_MD
Member since 2008 • 133 Posts
MGS4 for sure. COD4 gets boring once you've unlocked all the weapons & perks.
TrevCubsOr21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 TrevCubsOr21
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts
MGS4 fa sho
FreddieGermany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FreddieGermany
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts

mgs4 is a tactical stleath action game and cod4 is a modern war fps

I dont know why people try to compare them because if you think about it mgs4 is in a genre all by itself

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
Beware though, COD4's multiplayer is seriously flawed. Not the game, but how it was coded and executed. You'll need a can of RAID for all those bugs.
pyroblast94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pyroblast94
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
well i havent played ne of the games b4 COD4 or MGS4 either. and i have never liked any of the games b4 either, FPS werent my favorite game and i thought MGS games suked. when i played COD4 i have tons of fun and i was pretty suprised cause i've nevers liked any other FPS. but also when i played MGS4 it was amazingly fun and exciting. I really like MGS4 cause after your done with story mode you can just jump online. people say the online sux but if they say that then they just have never played online for it. bcuz the online is rlly fun once you get used to it. i play MGS4 online with scores like 10 kills 5 deaths. then i go on COD4 and play and get 15 kills 5 deaths. what im saying is MGS4 is the better choice :) but if you can you should get both
Avatar image for CommanderCool23
CommanderCool23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CommanderCool23
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I hope I'm not to late in stopping you from making the biggest mistake of your life!

In short, you really need to get Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

This a wise desicion for the following reasons

> Although you won't understand the storymode of MGS4 because of not having played the previous games, I have had friends in your exact same position buy the game and they said it was astounding, they didn't even care that they didn't know what was going on. Plus, you can always download the MGS database from the Playstation store, it will fill you in on any information you need to know about the series, and it's free.

> Also, when it comes to online play COD doesn't even come close, MGS4 is revolutionary in its online experience, it's so much more organized that COD's, plus theres the "reward shop" in which all sorts of character customizations are accecible, and the additions of "Survival" and "Tournaments" make the game so much more fun and you make much more friends playing with them in these games

>In addition to the online play, the things you can do are simply amazing! You can use CQC, shoot people out of trash cans, trap enemies in playboys, disguise yourself as a box, use binoculars to hound out ruthless snipers, slit throats, grab people and use them as a human shield, plus SOP link is an evolutionary game tactic that allows you to share information with your teammates, teamwork is used much more effectively in MGO.

>Also, the player ranking system is much better, instead of all these rankings (1-60 (or whatever)) and then different prestiges, in MGO its a simple level ranking system 1-18, there are higher levels than 18, but they are all boosters or glitchers. and, in MGO you can actually lose your level, unlike COD where no matter how bad you do, you will always keep your current level. In MGO you actually have something to play for.

> And finally, MGO is the best online game for clans. 1) You can create a clan with longer than just a 4-letter abreviation, (for example, I am currently a member of the clan "Cursed Soldiers") and you can play together in Survival and tournaments, no nead for clan battle websites.

>I speak as an abid player in both MGS and COD, MGS4 is the better choice hands down. MGo does offer a type of perk system, although on a much smaller scale, you can arrange different skills arranging from Assault Rifle (increasing reload time, and less recoil when shooting) to Monomania (which wil allow you to steal the SOP information of an enemy if you hit them).

>There, I hope I have made my argument compelling enough

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Why do new people always bump old threads?

The topic creator would be long gone by now

zkeymon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 zkeymon
Member since 2009 • 413 Posts

they are both great games i would have to say . . . . . . flip a coin lol:D