MGS4 a must have?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gillster316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 gillster316
Member since 2004 • 253 Posts
I havent played any of the MGS games but after hearing about all this hype for MGS 4 im starting to get intrested i just wanted to know if i have to play the first 3 to understand 4?
BigBoss712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BigBoss712
Member since 2005 • 13742 Posts
Yes, the story is deep and the only way to understand it is to play the other games because everything ties together.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14924 Posts
yes is a must have
azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts

I havent played any of the MGS games but after hearing about all this hype for MGS 4 im starting to get intrested i just wanted to know if i have to play the first 3 to understand 4?gillster316

You have to play all the other games in the series, because this game is a closure to all loose ends from all the previous games.

lordofthefarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 lordofthefarm
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Well since it's about Snake in his later days you might miss out on a few things, but MGS have been linked free for the most part of it.
Avatar image for tylerdurden2621
tylerdurden2621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tylerdurden2621
Member since 2006 • 704 Posts
This is a loved series by many, some of my friends included, but this series isn't for everyone. I think you either love it or hate it. I find the game boring and all around lame. I dont care for stealth action, which is probably why I hate MGS and splinter cell and pretty much any other stealth game. Actually I find hitman pretty cool, thats kind of stealthy. Anyways, I would rent one of the games first and then you will probably have a pretty good idea if you will like MGS 4.
Muisee18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Muisee18
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Yes, you can just read the wiki info to know and understand the story line though. I suggest renting all three main games though.
gtawoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gtawoof
Member since 2003 • 1843 Posts
yes, play the other 3 MGS games definately, if you dont you'll be out of the loop and you'll also miss some amazing games that can hold you off until mgs4 comes out
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts
Must have for me. I just hope its less cutscenes and more playing than MGS2.
SolidSnake2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidSnake2020
Member since 2006 • 2180 Posts

yes, play the other 3 MGS games definately, if you dont you'll be out of the loop and you'll also miss some amazing games that can hold you off until mgs4 comes outshadyd1717

Thats right, but I think if he/she has a psp should play mgs portable ops, you learn some shocking things about THE EVENTS THAT TOOK PLACE IN MGS3.

FFXNo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FFXNo1
Member since 2004 • 175 Posts
Are you kidding?? This is amust have for all the PS3 owners. I'm getting the regular edition and two copies of the collectors (if there is one). One for my pleasure and other to collect. "Must get MGS 4"
smooothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 smooothe
Member since 2006 • 312 Posts

Are you kidding?? This is amust have for all the PS3 owners. I'm getting the regular edition and two copies of the collectors (if there is one). One for my pleasure and other to collect. "Must get MGS 4"FFXNo1

OK now that is over-doing it.

Haha but yes, the game looks to be a killer app. All of the others were.

Elviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Elviathan
Member since 2006 • 5052 Posts
The answer is yes. You pretty much have to play the first 3 games if you want to get what they're talking about.
Avatar image for thetombradyhate
thetombradyhate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 thetombradyhate
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
(sarcasm on) no. (sarcasm off)
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19451 Posts

I don't know if it is a must have , but I would definitely say it is a must play. Just go back and play the others too. They might feel really dated now but they are good.

snipe2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 snipe2004
Member since 2007 • 1872 Posts
you do know that MGS4 has "Must-Have" written all over it right??:P
Flavante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Flavante
Member since 2006 • 724 Posts
If you just play MGS4 you will be notunderstand a single thing that is happening. Playing MGS is like reading a book, so if you say "Can I read the sequel to that novel and understand what is going on?" the answer is clearly "NO". You should have played earlier, because the game is coming soon and you have so little time to play the game.
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts

In order to understand the story in MGS4, you must need to know the story of MGS1, 2 and 3. May be you'll even need to know the story of MGS PO.

VauxhalI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 VauxhalI
Member since 2007 • 909 Posts

You can't just jump into this series with Metal Gear Solid 4, why? Because this game would confuse the hell out of you if you did so. You have to play each other Metal Gear Solid game to understand the story and what's going on, because really... the story in the MGS series is one of the real reasons I play it.

But there's still hope! You can beat one Metal Gear Solid game in a day, if you know what you're doing. My play time for Metal Gear Solid 1 was around 7 hours, my play time in Metal Gear Solid 2 was 8 hours, and my play time for Metal Gear Solid 3 was somewhere inbetween 8 and 9 hours. This was even with watching each cutscene and codec sequence. I haven't played Metal Gear Solid: PO yet, but I plan on picking it up tomorrow.