Mass Effect Series..Should I buy it??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevbone28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kevbone28
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
With Mass Effect 3 release already past, I downloaded the demo for the ps3. It looks like a pretty sweet game with a lot of depth. Being able to choose the different types of gameplay mode, along with character personality, etc... is an amazing option. I was wondering if i should purchase the 1st and 2nd. Is the story line as epic in the first 2 as it looks in the 3rd?
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
If you only play on PS3 then you'll only be able to play the second, which is a fantastic game in my opinion. It fills in some of the events from ME1, but not very well. I don't think you'll miss out on too much if you just go straight to the second, but it's up to you.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
you don't need to play the series from start to end i say get 3 fot now and if you want to play 2 later you can its fairly cheap nowdays
DaweedXC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaweedXC
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
YES you should
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Since the story isn't really that deep (it's basically a fairly generic space opera) the first isn't needed, and you can either watch the dialogue online or read the story online to get caught up. Then it's easy enough to go into the 2nd. I just got the third, and it's pretty awesome. Since the 2nd is so cheap it's definitely worth picking up since you can import your character and what not. If you are able to play the first (xbox or pc) then do so, but if not it won't really ruin the experience by not playing it.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts
Oh man, I so want to go pick it up today, but I'm thinking of getting it for my PC. The only thing is, I've got my ME2 saves on my PS3. lol...decisions, desicions! I'll probably just go get a copy for my PS3.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#7 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I should need to give you an answer because clearly Mass Effect is awesome.

gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

Since the story isn't really that deep (it's basically a fairly generic space opera) the first isn't needed, and you can either watch the dialogue online or read the story online to get caught up. Then it's easy enough to go into the 2nd. I just got the third, and it's pretty awesome. Since the 2nd is so cheap it's definitely worth picking up since you can import your character and what not. If you are able to play the first (xbox or pc) then do so, but if not it won't really ruin the experience by not playing it.

blueboxdoctor

dont listen to this guy, its far from generic and the story is very deep. I say play them all, 2 and 3 would mean alot more if you have. and you dont need to worry about not being able to play ME1 on PS3 just playthough on the xbox or pc and remember whaty you have done and feed that into the choices for ME2

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#9 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
you don't need to play the series from start to end i say get 3 fot now and if you want to play 2 later you can its fairly cheap nowdayselbert_b_23
I would disagree. The Mass Effect series is known for it's amazing storyline and it'll be really good if you played the previous 2 games.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

You should... you can get the PS3 version of ME2 cheap for like 20 bucks today.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]you don't need to play the series from start to end i say get 3 fot now and if you want to play 2 later you can its fairly cheap nowdaysJasonDarksavior
I would disagree. The Mass Effect series is known for it's amazing storyline and it'll be really good if you played the previous 2 games.

its understandable to play 2 at least and with the comic thing that covers all the import parts of 1 so the first game can be skipped but even if i am not found of 2 it is important to the storyline to know about 2
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blueboxdoctor

[QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

gillri

dont listen to this guy, its far from generic and the story is very deep. I say play them all, 2 and 3 would mean alot more if you have. and you dont need to worry about not being able to play ME1 on PS3 just playthough on the xbox or pc and remember whaty you have done and feed that into the choices for ME2

Honest question here, as I don't want to be a jerk or anything, but how exactly is it a deep story (I know it's a hard question to answer without giving away what happens)?

The overall story really isn't anything that impressive. The character development and interactions are where it can be considered deep, but as for the main story arc it's really nothing that amazing. I'm not at all saying that's a bad thing, but being a fan of sci-fi, I don't see where this is that different from any other space opera (yes, the background info to the different races and characters is interesting, but again, it's not the main story).

JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JasonDarksavior

[QUOTE="gillri"]

[QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

blueboxdoctor

Honest question here, as I don't want to be a jerk or anything, but how exactly is it a deep story (I know it's a hard question to answer without giving away what happens)?

The overall story really isn't anything that impressive. The character development and interactions are where it can be considered deep, but as for the main story arc it's really nothing that amazing. I'm not at all saying that's a bad thing, but being a fan of sci-fi, I don't see where this is that different from any other space opera (yes, the background info to the different races and characters is interesting, but again, it's not the main story).

To be honest I find the story really immersive and captivating. For me, it was many levels higher than your standard game. All the various races and wars and all that ... Man, it's history is just amazing. At least to me.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Definitely play ME2 BEFORE you play Mass Effect 3.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blueboxdoctor

[QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

[QUOTE="gillri"]

JasonDarksavior

To be honest I find the story really immersive and captivating. For me, it was many levels higher than your standard game. All the various races and wars and all that ... Man, it's history is just amazing. At least to me.

Understandable, as I too like the history and lore of all the species and planets. Like I said, it does make up for the main story, which really isn't bad, but to me not that amazing (but still good).

Basically, the characters and their back stories are the story attraction for me.

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
you don't need to play the series from start to end i say get 3 fot now and if you want to play 2 later you can its fairly cheap nowdayselbert_b_23
Yes, you do need to play the series from start to end, preferably on a platform that has the entire trilogy. Your decisions may not matter much at the end, but leading up to the point, there are a lot of times where you are greeted with familiar faces, places, and events, and they can be different according to your decisions in the past game. I guess the comic thing would work for ME2 because ME1 is a bit shorter, but playing ME3 without playing ME2 isn't going to make any sense at all. and TC, if you were impressed by the demo (especially on PS3), the main game is so much better.
csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

yeah you should...I'm only doing it because I want my character to transfer over so I 'm playing on my PC...to me it'll make more sense.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#18 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Mass Effect is absolutely amazing and Mass Effect 2 is my probably my favorite game this gen, a masterpiece. Mass Effect 3 isn't nearly as good as the first two in my opinion but it's still excellent and does the series justice.

JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JasonDarksavior

Mass Effect is absolutely amazing and Mass Effect 2 is my probably my favorite game this gen, a masterpiece. Mass Effect 3 isn't nearly as good as the first two in my opinion but it's still excellent and does the series justice.

brickdoctor
Yep, what I reckon too.
Nova_Crystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nova_Crystal
Member since 2006 • 47 Posts

Id say get 2 and if u can play or watch the first then get 3. One of the best things about the mass effect universe is the characters and everything leading up to this final battle, and seeing YOUR Shepardand his/her journey come to a close. I gotta say I ALMOST cried when Anderson and Shepard were talking at the end, It made me realize how far you and the characters you met along the way have gone. And playing the others makes some of the more emotional scenes that much better. When it come to story, lore, and characters you dont get many games like Mass Effect.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

brickdoctor
Out of curiosity, have you beaten ME3?
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#22 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

[QUOTE="brickdoctor"]

anime_gamer007

Yes, the ending was severely dissapointing to me but that doesn't stop the events that lead up to it from being good.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If you want to play the entire series you have to play on the "other" console. PS3 has only 2,3 the original game wasn't released for PS3. Yes play it.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"][QUOTE="brickdoctor"]

brickdoctor

Yes, the ending was severely dissapointing to me but that doesn't stop the events that lead up to it from being good.

I don't know. I honestly have a hard time recommending the entire series to someone since the ultimate payoff is completely terrible and basically ruins the everything that lead up to there for me. Because it's not just the ending for ME3, it's the ending for ME1 and ME2. I only beat it two days ago so maybe I need some time for it to sink in but I was in shock by how terrible that ending was.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes, you should.

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
If I had a 360 or a PC I would have started from the first. As it is, ME2 can be had for $20 new (and I would advise against getting it used), and is a great value.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I would pick it up when the price drops, but again that's just how I feel about the series. I picked up 1 and 2 for the PC when it was cheap, could not really get into it as other people did.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#28 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]you don't need to play the series from start to end i say get 3 fot now and if you want to play 2 later you can its fairly cheap nowdaysJasonDarksavior

agreed. Although dramatic is the right word, the events and impact your choices have on characters that span 3 games is developed very well.

To the TC, i'd suggest picking up #2 since its cheap...and if you enjoy it that much, buy #3 after (by that time it'll be cheaper)

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
yes buy mass effect series its awesome
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Yes, they're good.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#31 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite game series on the Citadel.
Avatar image for Cyanide4Suicid3
Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cyanide4Suicid3
Member since 2012 • 733 Posts
Yeah, but if you have an Xbox then I recommend getting it on there. I usually buy single player games on Playstation, but the first game is only on Xbox and PC so I just decided to pick the series up on that, with the importing and such. Def pick up the series though, its amazing. ME3 is catching ALOT of flak for the conclusion to the story, but I dont see anything wrong with it so w/e. I think people are just mad about it not ending how they wanted it to.